Quin Snyder gets 5 year deal coaching Atlanta Hawks

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Quin Snyder gets 5 year deal coaching Atlanta Hawks

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/06/05/quin-snyder-stepping-down-as-utah-jazz-head-coach/

Quote:

Quin Snyder stepping down as Utah Jazz head coach

After months of speculation around the league and weeks of meetings between the Utah Jazz front office and its coach, Quin Snyder, the rumors appear to have become reality.

Snyder will not return as the Utah Jazz coach, a story broken by Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN and confirmed by Snyder and Jazz ownership.

“I am incredibly grateful to have spent the last eight years with such a respected and historic organization and in the beautiful, kind, supportive community of Salt Lake City. I could not have asked for better owners in the Miller family and with Ryan and Ashley,” Snyder said in a statement released by the team. “They represent the Utah Jazz in every good way and I know the team couldn’t be in better hands with Ryan’s ownership. He is fiercely proud of and committed to doing what is right for the Utah Jazz and bringing a championship to Utah. It has also been an honor working with the entire ownership group, Mike, Ryan, Dwyane and others. Danny and Justin are providing strong leadership and I greatly appreciate their efforts and working with them.

“At the core, and what drives me every day is our players and their passion for the game, their desire to constantly work to improve and their dedication to the team and the Jazz. I strongly feel they need a new voice to continue to evolve. That’s it. No philosophical differences, no other reason. After eight years, I just feel it is time to move onward. I needed to take time to detach after the season and make sure this was the right decision. I greatly respect and appreciate Ryan, Danny and Justin’s discussions regarding moving forward together, I just know it is time. I am forever appreciative of all the players, coaches, partners, and people I have worked with at the Jazz. Your sacrifice, your kinship have made this an incredible and special experience. Amy and I are so grateful for our time here as it has been just a tremendous place to raise our family. Thank you to our always supportive and passionate fans. We only want the best for you and to see you raise a championship banner.”

For any outgoing coach to say “they need a new voice to continue to evolve” is an honest and impressive statement. Snyder’s contract was guaranteed for this coming season and he had a coach’s option season after that.

Terry Stotts is the early frontrunner for the Jazz job, according to Andy Larsen of the Salt Lake Tribune. Bringing in a veteran head coach and one with a strong offensive acumen makes sense for a team that wants to keep winning and chase a title. However, they likely will consider several top assistants as well.

by TaboolaPromoted Links
Wolf & Shepherd
Why Are Thousands of Men Switching to This Brand of Hybrid Dress Shoes?
NBCSports
Finally in NBA Finals, Al Horford thrives in Celtics-Warriors Game 1
The Farmer's Dog
Dogs should eat food, not burnt brown balls.
NBCSports
NBA veteran, former No. 2 pick Michael Beasley signs to play in China
Utah has gained new ownership in Ryan Smith and a new head of basketball operations in Danny Ainge in the past year. That combined with the Jazz not succeeding in the playoffs — falling last year to a Clippers team without Kawhi Leonard, then this year to the Mavericks in the first round — meant changes were coming to Utah. Rumors have the Jazz considering significant changes such as trading Rudy Gobert and retooling around Donovan Mitchell, or more minor moves and keeping Gobert and Donovan Mitchell as the core (keeping Mitchell is part of all of their plans).

While Snyder denied them, reports of “philosophical” differences between Snyder and the front office were about those changes and what a retooling would look like. Snyder did not think his voice was moving this team forward anymore. Both sides said their differences were not about money (although, more accurately, whatever extension Snyder was offered was not large enough to ignore those philosophical differences).

Snyder took over the Jazz in 2014 when they were a last-place team, helped develop players such as Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles and others, building them into a first-place team in 2021.

Snyder will be in high demand as a coach, and it wouldn’t be shocking if the Hornets gave him a quick call before finalizing Kenny Atkinson as their next coach. The Lakers were reportedly interested in Snyder, however, multiple sources told NBC Sports Snyder was not interested in the Lakers. The buzz around the league is he ultimately wants to replace Gregg Popovich as the Spurs coach, although it is likely Popovich will return for at least one more season in San Antonio (Popovich will decide when Popovich retires).
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35742035/sources-quin-snyder-gets-5-year-deal-coach-hawks

Quote:

Sources: Quin Snyder gets 5-year deal to coach Hawks

Quin Snyder has agreed to a five-year contract to become the Atlanta Hawks' coach and is expected to make his debut as soon Tuesday against the Washington Wizards, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

The Hawks pursued Snyder, 56, immediately upon firing Nate McMillan five days ago and landed on a long-term deal with a coach who advanced the Utah Jazz beyond the first-round of the Western Conference playoffs three times before resigning in the spring.

The move to take over the Hawks immediately is rooted both in the desire to make an Eastern Conference playoff run and to give Snyder a chance to start implementing his program and standards and evaluating the franchise's players on the way into the offseason, sources said.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Hawks fire McMillan; Snyder in play, sources say
5dAdrian Wojnarowski
Snyder and All-Star guard Trae Young are both expressing an enthusiasm to begin working together, and that partnership will go a long way into determining the success of the franchise's future. Snyder has a history of constructing strong relationships with his players while still allowing himself the ability to coach them hard. After a loss to the Hawks on Friday, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell profusely praised Snyder in a private conversation with Young and told him how instrumental the coach had been in his own development into an All-Star, sources said.

In recent days, Snyder has been engaged with general manager Landry Fields, assistant GM Kyle Korver and owner Tony Ressler on a number of philosophical, team building and staff budgetary issues, and Snyder will enter the organization with a significant voice in player personnel matters, sources said. Snyder had been pursued in recent months for several jobs, including the Los Angeles Lakers and Brooklyn Nets and brings with him a strong reputation as a program builder.

There are pronounced chemistry and leadership issues in the Hawks locker room, and Snyder's arrival is considered a renewed opportunity to solve them before more dramatic trade scenarios need to be explored.

The Hawks are hoping that the hiring of Snyder goes a long way toward stabilizing an organization that made changes with its president of basketball operations Travis Schlenk and McMillan within months in the regular season.

The Hawks promoted assistant Joe Prunty to interim coach, and he promptly won his first two games to lift the team to 31-30 and eighth in the Eastern Conference. Prunty and the rest of the Hawks' coaching staff are expected to be retained with Snyder for the remainder of the season, sources said.

Snyder had history as a Hawks assistant coach under Mike Budenholzer before becoming the Jazz's head coach. Snyder led the Jazz to six consecutive trips to the Western Conference playoffs, including three berths in the conference semifinals.

Atlanta has significant offseason decisions to make on how they want to shape the roster, and the chance to move quickly on Snyder's hiring could give them a better prism with which how they'll evaluate the franchise's future. Fields has wanted a coach who'll improve the franchise's player development, accountability and getting the team moving toward the top 10 in both offensive and defensive rankings -- all hallmarks of Snyder's teams with the Jazz.

After replacing Jason Kidd in 2018, Prunty was 21-16 in the regular season for the Milwaukee Bucks as interim coach. The Bucks lost a seven-game series to the Boston Celtics in that opening-round of the playoffs.

McMillan replaced Lloyd Pierce as interim coach in 2021 and engineered a run to the Eastern Conference finals. He was awarded a four-year contract and had a 99-80 record as head coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: