Max Christie the Lakers 35th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
I am surprised Max got 4/32 given that there was not much improvement at all between year 1 and year 2.

Compare his deal, to guys like Gabe Vincent/Buddy Hield that have actually had big playoff runs and put up bigger numbers in their career

Or compare Max to Ayo Dosunmu who was far more productive.

This is def an overpay

Its hard to display skill when you're riding the bench all the time. Hopefully JJ plays him significant minutes
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
I am surprised Max got 4/32 given that there was not much improvement at all between year 1 and year 2.

Compare his deal, to guys like Gabe Vincent/Buddy Hield that have actually had big playoff runs and put up bigger numbers in their career

Or compare Max to Ayo Dosunmu who was far more productive.

This is def an overpay

I'm not sure about him being FAR more productive than Max. Maybe factor in per-minute production, the fact that Dosunmu was in his 3rd year last year, and that Max is still younger than Dosunmu was when he was drafted.

Their salaries are pretty comparable this coming season. Let's see how it plays out.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Look at his January highlights.

This kid needs minutes. We have our 3&D wing

If kenecht can truly be another 3&D wing maybe we don’t need to trade for a wing.

Christian wood is a starting Calibur center in the nba. If he’s healthy we don’t really need another bigman. I mean nobody can really stop joker or embiid anyways. Maybe wood can negate their scoring while he’s on the floor.

Kinda glad Prince didn’t come back because he’d cut into max’s minutes.

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Le excellent

Quote:
Lakers announce the re-signing of Max Christie:

https://x.com/lakersreporter/status/1809684818097238160?s=46&t=6-sxM4NpvzeWdNMn3aVCqg

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject:

2 things can be true.

1. Max Christie is a solid young (21!!) prospect with 2 way potential. High floor
2. It was a clear overpay. Caleb Martin & Kelly Oubre also got 8M for comparison. Espically being up against 2nd apron.

Lakers front office is definition of hustling backwards
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

1. Max Christie is a solid young (21!!) prospect with 2 way potential. High floor
2. It was a clear overpay. Caleb Martin & Kelly Oubre also got 8M for comparison. Espically being up against 2nd apron.

How much of an overpay? Is this the kind of move that will cripple flexibility?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

Well as currently constructed we can’t use the tax payer MLE.

Between Rui & Christie, both RFA we over paid, you’re looking at a 6Mill in over pay.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

Perhaps presently an overpay, but maybe not so much a year from now. They’re banking on significant development from a player that was all but cast aside last season by a coach who failed him miserably.

Let’s hope JJ, Nate and Scott are able to properly develop this talent.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
Perhaps presently an overpay, but maybe not so much a year from now. They’re banking on significant development from a player that was all but cast aside last season by a coach who failed him miserably.

Let’s hope JJ, Nate and Scott are able to properly develop this talent.

Yep, exactly!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

Between Rui & Christie, both RFA we over paid, you’re looking at a 6Mill in over pay.

Why are you adding Rui? How much is Christie overpaid? And who are you signing with the tpMLE in this hypothetical?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

Why are you adding Rui? How much is Christie overpaid? And who are you signing with the tpMLE in this hypothetical?

To answer the question, Christie was over paid by about $3m/yr and given an excessive year. 3/15 ($5m/yr PO), instead of 4/32 ($8m/yr), seems about right to keep and show appreciation for the potential of a RFA player that produced…maybe not his fault…like a vet min, especially without having to match offers from other teams that could have caused an unnecessary overpay/overtime.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

To answer the question, Christie was over paid by about $3m/yr and given an excessive year. 3/15 ($5m/yr PO), instead of 4/32 ($8m/yr), seems about right to keep and show appreciation for the potential of a RFA player that produced…maybe not his fault…like a vet min, especially without having to match offers from other teams that could have caused an unnecessary overpay/overtime.

Buha, who is plenty critical of the Lakers, had said that he heard Christie's market was around where he was paid. Giving Max the high end of that and the player option is typical Pelinka slop. But bigger picture it was fine. He is almost certainly traded before year 4 anyway. Tye option just means we will get less in return.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

Buha, who is plenty critical of the Lakers, had said that he heard Christie's market was around where he was paid. Giving Max the high end of that and the player option is typical Pelinka slop. But bigger picture it was fine. He is almost certainly traded before year 4 anyway. Tye option just means we will get less in return.

Letting the market dictate the contract instead of jumping the gun on an overpay should have been the move since Christie was a RFA. I wouldn’t want to lowball a young prospect but the market was probably closer to vet min than $8m. There was no rush since the Lakers could have matched any offer.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

I like Max, I believe he can maybe become a 2-way rotational player. However it irks me Caruso was not given 32/4 but we have given THT 34/3 and Max 32/4.

One dude proved to be a core piece on a ring team and had some of the best advanced stats as Lebron's teammate ever.

Hopefully Max will turn out to be a better investment than THT did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I like Max, I believe he can maybe become a 2-way rotational player. However it irks me Caruso was not given 32/4 but we have given THT 34/3 and Max 32/4.

One dude proved to be a core piece on a ring team and had some of the best advanced stats as Lebron's teammate ever.

He seems to be better than THT and Im very hopeful he will be a much better investment. I think Ham should have played him significantly more and Lakers have paid him so much that I expect him to get good minutes this season. He will need to step up for Lakers to be fun to watch. Hopefully Vando and Gabe can stay healthy along with JJ as the coach — we should be a better team than last year. Fingers crossed.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Even worse the Lakers needed to do it for Caruso…who started in the close out game for the ship win…to keep him but didn’t, yet they didn’t have to do it to keep MaxC because of his RFA status but did it anyway. Also, THT was on that same close out ship roster with Caruso but didn’t start or even get much playing time yet the starter…Caruso…was let go when he offered a discount to take less. Malpractice, one of many.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Reaves has been a better investment than Caruso or THT combined.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Why? Seems to come out of left field lol! Discussing MaxC/THT/Caruso with nothing to do with AR.

Caruso’s defense/3pt% vs AR’s scoring/playmaking. I’d take AR slightly but is it really a big difference? I can see an argument for Caruso being the better two way player to being overall better too. Can we just have both like we should have lol!😂
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Q

MJST wrote:
JJin77 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Max Christie's potential they see is that he is very athletic and quick off the ground an a three point shooter and has a high defensive upside.

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- Quick off the ground leaps
- High defensive upside
- Consistent three point shooter
- Not afraid to go to the basket

Max's weakness was that he wasn't strong enough to finish at the basket sometimes. He would go to the basket frequently but he ran into people stronger than him which made it harder for him to finish but he was trying to dunk on everyone and everything when he did.

They believe if Max continues to progress and gets his man strength that he'll be an extremely valuable player for them. And they aren't wrong.

You missed the point.
His potential has nothing to do with my pouting. He may or may not live up to his contract or outperforms it, even.
The point is that there was no need to overpay him(plus w/ a PO on 4th yr? rllly???) without testing the market. There was literally zero risk to wait till the last moment. Chances of getting at team friendlier contract were far greater than some mysterious team offers over 8mil a yr on Max with their capspace or mle. Honestly, what's the downside of waiting on rfa???

Furthermore, are we not a win now team anymore???
Nic Batum at 2yr 10mil makes me jealous. He is perfect battle tested high IQ big wing vet who can make an impact in playoffs. Too old? Fine.
Kelly Obure at 2yr 16mil would have been much much better value.

The Lakers already get whatever production Oubre would give us from Hachimura. Also Oubre can't shoot for squat, which Hachimura can do, or play defense consistently, and defense and shooting are two things Christie can do.

Athletic wing is what Oubre is, he can score, but he can't play defense and can't shoot.

On THIS team Oubre would be like the 5th scoring option, and one we don't need.

Christie for his athleticism, three point shooting and defense gives us more value than Oubre does. Especially when we already have Hachimura whom fills whatever role Oubre would have here while being a far better shooter.

Stop deflecting the point. I already established my argument that it isn't
about Max's potential. It's that the process of this contract hyphens reoccurring theme of this FO's inability to MAXimize and work around the margins. Whether you like it or not, we had all the leverage in the cba to get him on much friendlier deal. At worst, we could have just match the offer at 8mil from other teams(which no one here actually believe) and it still actually would have been much better bc there would be no reason for a player option on 4th yr on a match.

You keep on argue on Max's potential because there is no logical counterpoint on this issue.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Q

JJin77 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JJin77 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Max Christie's potential they see is that he is very athletic and quick off the ground an a three point shooter and has a high defensive upside.

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- Quick off the ground leaps
- High defensive upside
- Consistent three point shooter
- Not afraid to go to the basket

Max's weakness was that he wasn't strong enough to finish at the basket sometimes. He would go to the basket frequently but he ran into people stronger than him which made it harder for him to finish but he was trying to dunk on everyone and everything when he did.

They believe if Max continues to progress and gets his man strength that he'll be an extremely valuable player for them. And they aren't wrong.

You missed the point.
His potential has nothing to do with my pouting. He may or may not live up to his contract or outperforms it, even.
The point is that there was no need to overpay him(plus w/ a PO on 4th yr? rllly???) without testing the market. There was literally zero risk to wait till the last moment. Chances of getting at team friendlier contract were far greater than some mysterious team offers over 8mil a yr on Max with their capspace or mle. Honestly, what's the downside of waiting on rfa???

Furthermore, are we not a win now team anymore???
Nic Batum at 2yr 10mil makes me jealous. He is perfect battle tested high IQ big wing vet who can make an impact in playoffs. Too old? Fine.
Kelly Obure at 2yr 16mil would have been much much better value.

The Lakers already get whatever production Oubre would give us from Hachimura. Also Oubre can't shoot for squat, which Hachimura can do, or play defense consistently, and defense and shooting are two things Christie can do.

Athletic wing is what Oubre is, he can score, but he can't play defense and can't shoot.

On THIS team Oubre would be like the 5th scoring option, and one we don't need.

Christie for his athleticism, three point shooting and defense gives us more value than Oubre does. Especially when we already have Hachimura whom fills whatever role Oubre would have here while being a far better shooter.

Stop deflecting the point. I already established my argument that it isn't
about Max's potential. It's that the process of this contract hyphens reoccurring theme of this FO's inability to MAXimize and work around the margins. Whether you like it or not, we had all the leverage in the cba to get him on much friendlier deal.

His deal is a friendly deal. This isn't 2011.
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Like I said multiple times already, my worry on this contract is that I think it shows this FO's inability to work around the margins and we are more likely stuck with them for very long time.

but just for fun of it, here's my 2 cents on Max.

Though I don't rate Max highly as some of you, I do believe his floor is pretty high for 2nd rounder. He has good size for a SG, a pretty good athlete/rebounder, willing defender with good motor. also, projects to be a good stand still shooter who can not only attack the close out/finish on top of defenders but also can pull up from middy. Good base for a 3 and D prospect. I like the kid.

But, honestly, he doesn't bring a lot of value on either end at the moment.
He is strictly a stand still shooter who can only shoot when he is wide open, isn't a handler/playmaker AT ALL, no vision, not much of a cutter, generally lacks feel for the game(he should be much better transition player with his profile). I realize that some of them will get better with experience but handling/playmaking department... I don't have any expectation at all.
So he projects to be a good spot up shooter/attacker on close out/at min, above average finisher/pull up middy shooter off the bounce, but no creation skills at all.
His offensive floor is a good rotational guard/wing not with too much upside.

He isn't a defender some of you think he is. At least not yet.
Not good enough screen navigator to be a POA defender, not big/strong enough to be a switchable wing dedender either. He looks to be a very busy defender who can only defend certain type of players in limited situation than actual impactful one right now. A better on ball defender than off ball/team defender. Lack of general awareness hurts him the most as off ball/team defender, especially on broken play/ciaos. even on ball defensive situation, his lack of understanding of offensive context makes him slower to react or vulnerable to fakes/misdirection. So unless he is on a iso or specific situations where constant defensive decision making isn't required, his motor/athleticism is mitigated. Again, I do realize some of his deficiency will improve with experience. but imo, it might take few more yrs longer than some of you expect(which might make his 32mil/4y look worse).

For him to have real value as a defender, he needs at least two of these 4 things.
1) becomes 6'8". not likely.
2) get much much stronger to become switchable wing defender against those 6'8" wings. - This is likely but when?
3) get much much smarter defender. - somewhat likely with lots of experience but, again, when???
4) He needs to get a lot better screen navigator to become POA defender.
Much easier to be said than done.

I don't expect Max to establish 2),3) within 2 yrs. It's possible that he comes 4). It's not my expectation but if 4) happens(along with 2+3) it will be game changer for Max's career.

I have Max's potential as middy floor/lowish~midish ceiling in few yrs.
But he may outperforms his contract this very coming season after getting out of Ham's jail. who knows really??
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Reaves vs Caruso is debatable. I don't think you'd get a Josh Giddy in his rookie contract for a 30 year old Reaves. We'll see what the value is. I personally think Reaves impact on a team is overrated. He doesn't provide defensive impact and also isn't good enough to be the 3rd option on a title team. He's not a 3nD 4th/5th option. On a title team, I think Reaves is a rotational player, 6th man type. He's been great, I love Reaves, but I do think one of the reasons we've been unable to get to the next level despite having 2 straight strong seasons from AD/Bron is that their supporting cast lacks 2-way skill.

Actually 2-way skill is why I have some hopes for Max. I can see him use his length and feet to disturb players on defense. I'm keeping my hopes up that he can develop into a 2-way player.

However in general, the main response to you is that Reaves was paid MLE money AFTER he started for the team and had 2 strong years. In year 1 he broke the rotation and was a constant in Vogel's plans. In year 2 he was a starter on a team that went to the WCF. So paying him the MLE after that was a given. And, we should have Caruso AND Reaves right now, not just Reaves. That was a major blunder. We should have Caruso, Reaves and Max as 3 guards in our rotation. Instead of spending the MLE on Gabe

Max hasn't proven he's even Buddy Hield level. Or Beasley. Both of whom can be had for for the type of money Max got 6M for Beasley, 10M for Hield. I'm not saying I'm upset Max is back. I just think it's been rightfully perceived as an overpay, similar to THT's overpay. Unlike THT though, I have some hopes Max can develop into that 3nD 4th/5th option starter we may need. Even if not that, I think he can develop into a rotational player who provides you some slashing, shooting and defensive energy. However he needs to really step up this year, and JJ needs to give him a consistent role. Ham was simply not a good player development coach. Vogel was yeons better at giving young players a steady role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
manlisten wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
2 things can be true.

B/C Rui was overpiad as a RFA last summer also by about 3M per year. PJ Washington, a much better/proven player at the time only got 3/45M

Gary Trent Jr.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:16 am    Post subject:

Will be taking Taurean’s number this year
https://sports.yahoo.com/max-christie-wear-different-jersey-235642856.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Page 55 of 55
Jump to: