LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Even though Lonnie has produced for the Lakers he likely will be the odd man out because Reaves and Beasley have better long term appeal plus with MaxC/TBjr/Dlo capable of being the injury insurance at SG there’s just no future role we can see for him.

He’s likely going to get another tpMLE from some team or a contract around $6mil due to 3pt shooting and finishing ability. I wouldn’t mind keeping him around for that but he’s likely gone due to having a diminished role with limited minutes projected as a Laker.

If he does walk I still appreciate him helping keep us from completely sinking in Nov/Dec this year and any future production given. In order to stay he would most likely have to play down the stretch like he did earlier in the year…avg 18pts/game shooting 44% from 3 as he did in Nov.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject:

I think he's been the biggest detriment to Rui. They play a lot together and it seems Lonnie calls his own number...a lot. I wish Lonnie had better floor vision as he just doesn't pass at all.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject:

I like the element Lonnie brings to to the table aggressive create your own offense type of skill set, unfortunately we're pretty guard heavy he's not a flexible as AR who can shift between PG, SG pretty easily it seems, is not a 3 pt gravity well like Beasley, which fits really well with AD and Bron, not the PG that D lo is or a suitable back up PG like DS, so he is stuck as the fifth guard, but it seems he is better than "5th guard" talent. One could argue that Lonnie might start in front of Beasley while D lo is out, since we don't have great ball handling distribution which I think supports Lonnie's game better than Beasley, but with good passing Beasley is the obvious choice.

Assuming the Lakers want to bring back the majority of the team it seems obvious that Lonnie will be odd man out. As a laker I really think he helped this team a ton over the course of the season, but at this point it just roster composition.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

As a deep bench guy, he is fine.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject:

I would have preferred that we traded him. I doubt he's back and would have been nice to take a flyer on someone. Cam Reddish wasn't happening as the Knicks got Josh Hart in that deal.

But taking a flyer on someone would have been preferable.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Even though Lonnie has produced for the Lakers he likely will be the odd man out because Reaves and Beasley have better long term appeal plus with MaxC/TBjr/Dlo capable of being the injury insurance at SG there’s just no future role we can see for him.

I am not sure if Beasley and Reaves are here for the long run. But they are both better overall players than Walker.

I do think Walker is gone after this year, because his production hasn't been great, apart from decent 3-point shooting.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I am not sure if Beasley and Reaves are here for the long run. But they are both better overall players than Walker.

I do think Walker is gone after this year, because his production hasn't been great, apart from decent 3-point shooting.

Walker might stick around because he will likely be available for the vet min.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Walker might stick around because he will likely be available for the vet min.

I have no idea how much he'll get. But, given how he dropped out of the rotation and has been minimized here, if he has play for the veteran's minimum, I suspect he'd go to another team where he might have a better shot at playing time.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would have preferred that we traded him. I doubt he's back and would have been nice to take a flyer on someone. Cam Reddish wasn't happening as the Knicks got Josh Hart in that deal.

Lonnie Walker and another filler for Terrence Ross might have been possible
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We were pretty aggressive in making deals. I suspect the Lakers made Walker available, and no one was interested.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Beasley has the team option for $16mil, Walker is projected to be available to the Lakers for $8mil. If team has to lose Schro, TBjr, or even Rui to keep Beasley but could retain other pieces if LW4 was chosen over Beas then I wouldn’t hesitate to choose LW4 and others combined over just Beasley alone.

LW4 + Schro > Beasley;
LW4 + TBjr > Beasley;
LW4 + Rui > Beasley;
LW4 + Mo > Beasley;

But if we can keep everyone else and then had to choose then;
LW4 < Beasley…I’d choose Beasley over Lonnie if it came down to them straight but the best case scenario for the team is to keep them both if it didn’t mean losing someone else.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Beasley has the team option for $16mil, Walker is projected to be available to the Lakers for $8mil. If team has to lose Schro, TBjr, or even Rui to keep Beasley but could retain other pieces if LW4 was chosen over Beas then I wouldn’t hesitate to choose LW4 and others combined over just Beasley alone.

LW4 + Schro > Beasley;
LW4 + TBjr > Beasley;
LW4 + Rui > Beasley;
LW4 + Mo > Beasley;

LW4 < Beasley…I’d choose Beasley over Lonnie if it came down to them straight but the best case scenario for the team is to keep them both if it didn’t mean losing someone else.

I could see the Lakers not exercising Beasley's option and then resigning him for less. I don't think he's going to get an offer for $16 million from anyone.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I just don’t like his game since he came back from injury it’s like he’s jacking up shots left and right to try to get his numbers up instead of playing within the system

defense forget about it

Let’s bring along Max Christie
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject:

He's just calling his number every time, playing selfishly. I get it, the team tried to trade him (and I'm sure once we got Beas/DLO, etc. he wanted out) but you're not exactly impressing prospective teams with this sort of selfishness.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He's just calling his number every time, playing selfishly. I get it, the team tried to trade him (and I'm sure once we got Beas/DLO, etc. he wanted out) but you're not exactly impressing prospective teams with this sort of selfishness.

I’m not sure the trade deadline has anything to do with it. This is who he’s always been. He will have short stretches when the shots are falling and it looks better but he’s a one dimensional player that is only in the rotation due to injury.
genester
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
I just don’t like his game since he came back from injury it’s like he’s jacking up shots left and right to try to get his numbers up instead of playing within the system

defense forget about it

Let’s bring along Max Christie

Hard agree. I'd much rather have a guy out there giving maximum effort on D as opposed to space cadet Lonnie.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject:

Lonnie needs someone to get in his ear and let him know that chucking is not going to get him a payday. He has athleticism that if he applied on defense and tried to improve his all around game / court awareness / consistency of effort would get him paid alot more than trying to be a microwave chucker off the bench.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

LW4 + Schro > Beasley;
LW4 + TBjr > Beasley;
LW4 + Rui > Beasley;
LW4 + Mo > Beasley;

For a microwave scorer, Walker will be cheaper. That’s the only role that I can think of him. I don’t think Lakers will pick up Beasley option unless he will be part of S&T package.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Knicks had to give up Reddish and 1st round pick for Hart...

Could have probably got Reddish for Walker+2nd, if Lakers offered it a week earlier..

Reddish is showing out right now for the Blazers. Seen a couple of his games. That kid is very talented for 6'8.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Lonnie needs someone to get in his ear and let him know that chucking is not going to get him a payday. He has athleticism that if he applied on defense and tried to improve his all around game / court awareness / consistency of effort would get him paid alot more than trying to be a microwave chucker off the bench.

I’m willing to bet Pop mentioned this stuff.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject:

In the midst of all this excitement I just realized Lonnie Walker got a DNP Coach’s Decision. Good call by Ham though.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject:

Lonnie's better and more consistent than Beasley. So imo he should be getting some minutes on the nights that Beasley is cold.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lonnie's better and more consistent than Beasley. So imo he should be getting some minutes on the nights that Beasley is cold.

After which shot do you know that a streaky player is cold?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MikeTrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject:

Lonnie is trash. He should DNP every game unless it's a blowout. Lakers lose against the Raptors if he plays significant minutes
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
MJST wrote:

After which shot do you know that a streaky player is cold?

3 in a row
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 24 of 41
Jump to: