NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 469, 470, 471 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
activeverb wrote:
levon wrote:
Every team who's not in the play-in hunt should be tanking for Wembanyama and Henderson right now. There's going to be a lot of shakeup and talent available mid-season.

My guess is less of that will happen than you imagine. I doubt bad teams will start dumping talent for nothing at mid season just to improve their chance of losing.

I think we'll just see the standard mid-season buyouts that we do every year.

for the most hyped prospect in 20 years? yeah, im gonna guess the tank is gonna be severe this year. bottom 3 get the best %.

I think the teams that plan to tank have already positioned themselves for that, or they will be looking to trade their good players for picks or assets we don't have.

If the OP was suggesting that a flood of good talent will become available for nothing at mid season from tanking teams, I think that is wishful thinking.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Every team who's not in the play-in hunt should be tanking for Wembanyama and Henderson right now. There's going to be a lot of shakeup and talent available mid-season.

I guess, but the best odds you can get for the #1 pick is 14%. Having a better pick is always a good thing, but I don't know that a 14% chance at Wembanyama justifies heroic measures when it comes to tanking.

A 1 in 7 chance for a generational talent? Or missing and getting another superstar prospect at #2? Absolutely justifies heroic measures if you have nothing else going for you this season.

A generational talent like Greg Oden? There's no such thing as a sure bet when it comes to the draft. I can still remember the Andrew Wiggins highlight videos that people posted back in the day.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
activeverb wrote:
levon wrote:

My guess is less of that will happen than you imagine. I doubt bad teams will start dumping talent for nothing at mid season just to improve their chance of losing.

I think we'll just see the standard mid-season buyouts that we do every year.

for the most hyped prospect in 20 years? yeah, im gonna guess the tank is gonna be severe this year. bottom 3 get the best %.

even the "tanking" teams still have decent assets:

SAS -> Richardson, McDermott, Poeltl
OKC -> SGA, Dort
Detroit -> Bogs, Bagley, Noel, Burks
Rockets -> Gordon, Favors
Utah -> Conley, Beasley, Clarkson

I think the teams that plan to tank have already positioned themselves for that, or they will be looking to trade their good players for picks or assets we don't have.

If the OP was suggesting that a flood of good talent will become available for nothing at mid season from tanking teams, I think that is wishful thinking.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

I guess, but the best odds you can get for the #1 pick is 14%. Having a better pick is always a good thing, but I don't know that a 14% chance at Wembanyama justifies heroic measures when it comes to tanking.

A 1 in 7 chance for a generational talent? Or missing and getting another superstar prospect at #2? Absolutely justifies heroic measures if you have nothing else going for you this season.

A generational talent like Greg Oden? There's no such thing as a sure bet when it comes to the draft. I can still remember the Andrew Wiggins highlight videos that people posted back in the day.

28% getting wembayama or that 2nd dude, this draft is tank worthy
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

Come on friend, there's a marked difference between Andrew Wiggins and Wembanyama as a prospect. Yeah, his career could be ruined by a gruesome injury next game and all of this will change. I just think this is a very viscerally different prospect than usual.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

Come on friend, there's a marked difference between Andrew Wiggins and Wembanyama as a prospect. Yeah, his career could be ruined by a gruesome injury next game and all of this will change. I just think this is a very viscerally different prospect than usual.

Other than Oden, I don't quite remember this much tank hype since LeBron and before that it was Duncan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:

IMO Lakers FO has plans, but no apparent overarching strategy. And their plans conflict with each other.

They want to win now, but want to hold on to draft picks. They want to avoid the repeater tax, but sign LeBron to cap consuming 2-year extension. In the Jesse Buss thread, he talks about looking for players that have the upside potential to be able to retire as Lakers, but Rob acts like he's playing in redraft/keeper fantasy league while all the other GMs are playing in a dynasty league.

And then there's the cap space "strategy" that they are saving up for the next year. From the list I've seen, I don't think there's a single player that would be considered a cornerstone piece to build a team around. The big names are too old to build around and everyone else are role players. If they are going to sign role players to a big contract, they will hopefully think about their role and fit with the rest of the team.

It's clear that the Lakers want to compete around Lebron and AD over the next couple of years, but it's also clear that they are drawing spending lines.

They aren't going to fold their hand and rebuild; but they also aren't going to push all their chips into the center of the table.

So the strategy is really about balancing the results on the court (which fans care about) with the results on the balance sheet (which fans don't care about.)

The issue for me is less about compromising the results on the court in order to get a better financial return. The issue is that, within the framework of balancing these two things, the team has made a lot of poor player decisions.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

Yes, the notion that you can clearly identify the players who will become generational talents is dubious.

If that was the case, Greg Oden wouldn't have been drafted before Kevin Durant and Anthony Bennett wouldn't have been drafted before Giannis.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

Yes, the notion that you can clearly identify the players who will become generational talents is dubious.

If that was the case, Greg Oden wouldn't have been drafted before Kevin Durant and Anthony Bennett wouldn't have been drafted before Giannis.

You folks realize you're only making an argument for tanking stronger, right? If Wembanyama falls to second or even fourth and other prospects rise, then as a bad team you have an even higher chance at a generational prospect? Joel Embiid was selected 3rd due to injury issues, and he ended up being far and away the best player in the draft. The worst 3 teams have a 52% chance each of getting a top 4 pick.

Yes the odds are flattened now and the play-in exists, but in a lot of ways the flattened odds allow teams to be at peace with the draft ordering they do receive, whereas before there was the added risk of tanking all the way to the first pick, picking the consensus first, only for the 2nd pick to be the guy.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The Oden comparisons are pretty weak. Oden was very good until the injuries, but even at full strength he didn’t have nearly the skill and versatility Wembanyama has. His hype came when people still thought you needed a back to the basket rim protector above all else. Oden without the injuries would have been a solid player, but he couldn’t score for you outside the paint and wasn’t nearly as mobile as Wembanyama who can also score from anywhere on the floor. It’s difficult to see a path where Wembanyama isn’t a huge success in the league barring major injuries.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

Other than Oden, I don't quite remember this much tank hype since LeBron and before that it was Duncan.

There have been a lot of hugely hyped #1 picks. A few of them have bombed, and some have become all-star level talent without yet leading their teams to the promised land: Greg Oden, Zion Williamson, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman, Yao Ming, Ben Simmons, Glenn Robinson, Danny Manning. Go back to the reports of when they were drafted and plenty of folks were predicting they would all be “generational talents.”
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Oden comparisons are pretty weak. Oden was very good until the injuries, but even at full strength he didn’t have nearly the skill and versatility Wembanyama has. His hype came when people still thought you needed a back to the basket rim protector above all else. Oden without the injuries would have been a solid player, but he couldn’t score for you outside the paint and wasn’t nearly as mobile as Wembanyama who can also score from anywhere on the floor. It’s difficult to see a path where Wembanyama isn’t a huge success in the league barring major injuries.

Sure, that's all easy to say in hindsight. At the time Oden was drafted, people were saying things like: "Adding Greg Oden was a no brainer, and puts the Blazers in the Championship picture from the year 2009 on. Oden is not only a tremendous talent on the court, but a wonderful kid off the court who the NBA can look to as a potential ambassador for the sport. "

But guess what: If Wembanyama doesn't pan out, people in the future will be writing similar posts about why it was clear he wouldn't work out. The most predictable possible future opinion will be: It was obvious that Wembanyama's body wouldn't hold up to the rigors of the NBA.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

1979 - Magic Johnson (top 10, generational player)
1984 - Akeem Olajuwon (top 15, generational player)
1992 - Shaquille O'Neal (top 10, generational player)
1997 - Tim Duncan (top 10, generational player)
2003 - LeBron James (top 10, generational player)

We've had 5 generational players in the past 43 years. We appear to not have had since 2003. By sheer math, we are probably due. BTW, the only player I think who could be "generational" is Zion and that is very, very to be determined.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The only true mega hyped can’t miss rookies in recent history that I can think of are Shaq, Duncan, LeBron, Davis, Oden, and Zion. Other than Oden, they all delivered. Zion is too soon to tell, but he’s already unstoppable when he’s healthy and made All Star in his second season (first healthy one).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

But that's the point.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:

We've had 5 generational players in the past 43 years. We appear to not have had since 2003. By sheer math, we are probably due. BTW, the only player I think who could be "generational" is Zion and that is very, very to be determined.

There isn't any predictable pattern. We've had drafts where there were two generational talents (Bird/Magic, Hakeem/MJ) and lots of drafts where there were none.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

There isn't any predictable pattern. We've had drafts where there were two generational talents (Bird/Magic, Hakeem/MJ) and lots of drafts where there were none.

Yes, but I'm talking about the consensus number 1 player that gets hyped is usually the #1 pick. I'm just saying 38/43 players drafted number 1 did not turn out to be a "generational" player. It is usually very rare.

Chances are low that Victor is going to be a generational talent but he does seem to have enough hype where he *could* be truly generational. Who knows, but if I were a tanking team, I'd put my chips on it cuz why not.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

But that's the point.

Naw it’s just a weak comparison unless you’re just saying because Oden got hurt you can’t evaluate anyone. Or you expect the game to undergo a seismic shift that will render VW’s skills largely irrelevant (and I don’t see how that’s possible given his skills.) Injuries aside, VW is on another level as a prospect compared to Oden. Maybe he gets hurt all the time and won’t be able to play but you can say that about virtually anyone.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Yes, but I'm talking about the consensus number 1 player that gets hyped is usually the #1 pick. I'm just saying 38/43 players drafted number 1 did not turn out to be a "generational" player. It is usually very rare.

Chances are low that Victor is going to be a generational talent but he does seem to have enough hype where he *could* be truly generational. Who knows, but if I were a tanking team, I'd put my chips on it cuz why not.

Also, it's not a binary. Even if the player isn't "generational", they have immense value because of their pedigree. Hell, you can even just trade the pick.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

But that's the point.

Naw it’s just a weak comparison unless you’re just saying because Oden got hurt you can’t evaluate anyone. Or you expect the game to undergo a seismic shift that will render VW’s skills largely irrelevant (and I don’t see how that’s possible given his skills.) Injuries aside, VW is on another level as a prospect compared to Oden. Maybe he gets hurt all the time and won’t be able to play but you can say that about virtually anyone.

Did you all know that Oden played in only 105 total games in the NBA?
Yikes….
Terrible cards dealt to that dude..
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:

What makes these guys generational talents? What about Sampson, Ewing, MJ, Kobe, Garnett, Yao, Durant, Rose, Davis, Giannis, and Embiid (off the top of my head)? If you need to wait and see how a guy does in his career, that defeats the purpose. Zion was billed as a generational talent, but it remains to be seen whether he can stay healthy long enough to live up to his potential.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
activeverb wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

I get your point. But even if you are a tanking team, you still have to field a team. And even the worst teams tend to have some solid NBA veterans. So it's not the like tanking teams clean house and fill up on rookies and D league rejects.

Look at the '97 Spurs, everyone's favorite tanking example. Outside of Robinson going down with an injury, their team was pretty much the same guys who won 59 games the previous season and 56 the next season.

Again, I think it's wishful thinking to imagine we are going to improve our roster courtesy of tanking teams who are giving away good players.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

But that's the point.

But that's not the point. The question is whether a team would go through heroic measures to tank for a 14% chance of drafting Wembanyama. This is why the lottery system got changed (more than once). The best you can get is a 14% chance at drafting a guy who might be the next great thing, or who might be the next Greg Oden/Ralph Sampson/Derrick Rose. The NBA wanted to change the calculus for teams, and they did.

I don't have a crystal ball to tell you whether Wembanyama will turn out to be an all-time great or an injury bust, or somewhere in between. What I'm addressing is the practical decisions being made by the rebuilding teams this year.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

What makes these guys generational talents? What about Sampson, Ewing, MJ, Kobe, Garnett, Yao, Durant, Rose, Davis, Giannis, and Embiid (off the top of my head)? If you need to wait and see how a guy does in his career, that defeats the purpose. Zion was billed as a generational talent, but it remains to be seen whether he can stay healthy long enough to live up to his potential.

Let's just agree that high draft picks are coveted and valued due to potential, not expected outcome. Greg Oden had amazing potential and didn't live up to it. Andrew Wiggins was a 6 8 or 6 9 with hyper athleticism that could have been the next Lebron. And Tim Duncan was Tim Duncan and stayed Tim Duncan.

But that doesn't mean that all of the top players in every draft have equal potential. If Wembanyama was doing in 2007 what he showcased last night, he'd be coveted more than Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Which player he actually ends up closer to is besides the point. The price I'd pay for the potential at the top of this draft is far higher than, say, the Ayton draft. The lottery odds have nothing to do with it. You can normalize the price to account for those flattened odds and what other teams would be willing to pay, if you'd like.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

But that's the point.

I just need him to be drafted by Orlando. That's my only request .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 469, 470, 471 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 470 of 2545
Jump to: