NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1392, 1393, 1394 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The only thing CRAZY, is people here thinking Schroder is just gonna take 5.3 million and like it? People here really think a 6th man of his caliber is only taking that much? You would have to be completely clueless of the current NBA landscape and unaware of how much good role players are making nowadays.

Dennis is making $1.8 million this year, and he made $5.9 million the previous year.

I expect him to seek out the maximum he can get. But I am not sure why you think GMs will suddenly give him a much higher value next year than they have the previous two years. It's not like his play this year is significantly better than it was the last two years.

Worth is so dependent on market value combined with need that is difficult, at least for me, to argue one way or another. We'd have to go team by team, I guess.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The only thing CRAZY, is people here thinking Schroder is just gonna take 5.3 million and like it? People here really think a 6th man of his caliber is only taking that much? You would have to be completely clueless of the current NBA landscape and unaware of how much good role players are making nowadays.

Dennis is making $1.8 million this year, and he made $5.9 million the previous year.

I expect him to seek out the maximum he can get. But I am not sure why you think GMs will suddenly give him a much higher value next year than they have the previous two years. It's not like his play this year is significantly better than it was the last two years.

That's fair, but he has done a lot to rehabilitate his reputation. If he had been content with the taxpayer MLE and being a secondary player two years ago, he would have gotten interest. Instead, he dug a hole for himself.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject:

The problem with Dennis is a lot of coaches don't appreciate his style of play. They put to much weight in his defficencies. Like for example his passing and his poor point guard abilities.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Megaton wrote:

That's fair, but he has done a lot to rehabilitate his reputation. If he had been content with the taxpayer MLE and being a secondary player two years ago, he would have gotten interest. Instead, he dug a hole for himself.

I've been saying this too. His production is on par with his career averages and he's getting no more exposure now than he did two years ago with us. He clearly overvalued himself two years ago and had to settle. I wouldn't be surprised if he scoffed at various MLEish offers at the beginning. So I wouldn't be surprised now if he gets multiple tpMLE offers or maybe even $10ish million.

OTOH, I'm not sure what caused his stock to drop so significantly last summer. He struggled in Boston and was banished to irrelevance on a cellar dweller but I certainly didn't expect him to struggle to get minimum offers. And that was before he lead Germany to the bronze in the FIBA tournament.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
DS played well in 2020-21 regular season, was one of the reasons why Lakers had a winning record despite injuries to Bron and AD. Yet he went from earning 15 M to 3.9 M that summer. Who's to say his value is higher than MLE right now at the age of 29?

Unless we shed salary like crazy (and I hope we don’t since I want us to keep Dlo, Reaves, Vando, and Rui plus Bamba) we will be a tax paying team again and won’t have the MLE. I’d be really surprised if Dennis didn’t get at least a full MLE offer, and I would be completely shocked if he turned it down to take the tax payer MLE from us. It’s not a minor pay cut, it’s almost half, iirc. Not really realistic to think we’d be able to bring DS back unless teams are still really down on him somehow.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
Megaton wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Dennis dreaming of that $100 million bag, while shooting videos of himself on a skateboard. Shades of Vladimir Radmanovic inking that max MLE deal, then breaking his leg in a snowboarding accident and there being a month long debate about whether to void his contract.

Your post is just pure pipe dream/wish fulfillment. There is no actual evidence or logic based on what Schroder’s production has provided NOW, without ANY of that previous attitude from the past few years ago.

If anything, Schroder is NOW looked at as a redemption story. Someone that became more humbled, a better player as a result of that, and now will get rewarded for it. I don’t truly know if he has become more humble, but in the public eye? Especially with his positive comments he has made for himself and the team this entire season? He is now being more viewed as such for sure.

Dennis is a good player. If he plays this well in the playoffs he is getting paid. A crazy amount? No, but he is getting paid. If role player PGs get paid for 1 dimensional skills at around 10M+ then he too will get that amount.

I could see him taking LESS to stay in LA though. He's not the same person. People do change. Am I the only one who thought Javale McGee was just a merry minimum bouncing from team to team?

Again, no one, and especially me, is saying that he will get paid a crazy amount.

And those that disagree would also be ignoring the potential cap rise associated with a new TV deal. DS at $10–2 mil per could be a great deal at that time. I have no idea what his market will be but I anticipate there being a market.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
OTOH, I'm not sure what caused his stock to drop so significantly last summer. He struggled in Boston and was banished to irrelevance on a cellar dweller but I certainly didn't expect him to struggle to get minimum offers. And that was before he lead Germany to the bronze in the FIBA tournament.

I suspect that he developed a reputation for having attitude issues. He seems to have gotten the message in that respect. From the moment he signed with us, he was saying The Right Things at every opportunity. Talk is cheap, but he seems to be living up to it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I’m curious to see how much Draymond thinks he’s gonna get come free agency.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

The max
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The max

I would love for the Warriors to do that. Because it sure as hell ain’t gonna be from any other team in the league.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
drae wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The max

I would love for the Warriors to do that. Because it sure as hell ain’t gonna be from any other team in the league.

Warriors, you better give Dray the max.
He deserves it.
Don't be cheap!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject:

On a side note the clippers are a complete joke. Don’t play a lick of D. Won’t get out if the first round.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Megaton wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Dennis has been around the block. Stops in Atlanta, Oklahoma, Boston, Houston, etc. I don’t think there will be a market for him that some of the fans think. You guys act like Dennis is this elite point guard making peanuts. He has a bad attitude problem. I could list a few of the things, guy has a handle with one of them on this thread page.

No one is saying that. But he’s certainly proved that he’s worth much more than the vet min, and 5.3 mill which is the TMLE.

Don’t forget he’s been exposed so much this season due to just being a Laker alone. But now he’s also exposed both as a Laker, and a much improved player that’s clearly worth much more than he’s making? Yeah he gone. It’s not even a contest. You would have to be EXTREMELY biased to say otherwise.

Dude is 29 years old looking for the biggest bag possible. That has never changed. Just ask Austin Reaves on that subject.

It’s the attitude problem that you overlook.

There are absolute bums that hang around in the league for years, Jared Dudley, for example, because of their attitude. There are guys with supreme talent, Isiah Rider, for example, that had their career cut short because of their attitude.

Can you explain why you think Dennis has a attitude problem.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Jazz are done for the season. So, only one of the teams trying to make the playin will be eliminated. It could be Mavericks
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The max

I'd pass on him at any price. He's not worth the distraction.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
gng930 wrote:

I suspect that he developed a reputation for having attitude issues. He seems to have gotten the message in that respect. From the moment he signed with us, he was saying The Right Things at every opportunity. Talk is cheap, but he seems to be living up to it.

Quote:
Actually, biggest surprise was probably Schroder being so deferential and such a good mentor. I was expecting him to come in gunning for his next contract, on brand with his reputation. I hope he’s back next year....

Head coach Stephen Silas frequently raved about Schroder’s veteran leadership and the influence he was having on many of his younger teammates...

I wasn’t expecting it, but Schroder brings out the best in Jalen...

A lot of you asked why I want Schroder back. I’m big on the interpersonal stuff that you catch during timeouts and such. He seemed like a really calming influence and this backcourt is young. He also didn’t hog the ball like I expected.

Passes Per 36 minutes:

Schroder - 69
KPJ - 59
Sengun - 45.4
Wood - 44.9
Christopher - 41.4
Martin - 39.8
Gordon - 39.4
Tate - 39
Green - 32.7
Mathews -25.2

Here are number of passes made for every time you touched the ball.

Schroder - .78
Martin - .73
KPJ - .71
Gordon - .69
Sengun - .69
Tate - .69
Wood - .68
Christopher -.67
Mathews - .66
Green - .60

LINK

You wouldn't think that from some of the season postmortems. In the end though, Houston didn't bring him back which seems more telling. Whatever the case, he seems like a man now humbled and deserves a fair contract this summer.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Schroder screwed himself a couple of seasons ago in his contract negotiations. The Celtics thought they were getting a steal at the mini-MLE at the time. But he seemed malcontent there. Then got moved mid-season and didn't play great in Houston. His value was at an all-time low after that.

To say he's a minimum player though is poor evaluation. He's one of the best bargains in the league right now in terms of talent. And prior to his misstep he was a $15-16m player.

That previous contract though was based in part on potential for a 24 year old point guard who was a 19/6 player. The Lakers would have overpaid if they gave him $20m/year, but he has been underpaid the past two seasons, at least in terms of talent. Much of that he viewed himself as a better player than GMs viewed him as. He wasn't content with his roles. After being chased off by the Lakers and Celtics, that destroyed his value.

He's restored some of that this season. But he'll be 30 next season. There isn't a lot of future potential in him. So I doubt he gets any huge offers, but he's played well enough that he has probably restored his value to somewhere in the $6-12m range.

Maybe the Lakers can reattain him with their mini-MLE. If not someone will likely pay him.

I see a lot of similarity in his situation and Reggie Jackson's. Reggie was a $14-17m player for years, then his attitude and subpar results turned him into a minimum salary player for two seasons. He had a strong showing with the clippers and netted himself a 2 year, $21.6m deal. I would suspect Schroder's value this summer to be something similar to that. If the Lakers are hoping to sign him with the mini-MLE they may need to give him more years.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject:

A video that was made saying that the Lakers should call up the 'new and improved' Jahlil Okafor from the G-League

Okafor vs Cauley-Stein in G-League

RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject:

[Comment deleted - CL] Please tell me where DS was a malcontent or had an attitude problem. The kid has been rock steady for us and is a valuable member of the team. We should not think twice about offering him the TPMLE. Rob should already be letting him know how much we want him and how valued his contributions are. Is someone going to offer more? I would say 100%. Here is hoping that he likes being a Laker (the teams who can offer more are garbage). Hopefully, Rob can convince him that he wants him here for multi years and that he will be taken care of. We would miss a couple of things that he does better than anyone (namely breaking down a D and his perimeter D).
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject:

I just deleted a dozen posts where people were insulting each other back and forth. Please stick to basketball discussion without the personal comments as that almost always escalates into full out insult wars. Thanks.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Looks like Jazz are done for the season. So, only one of the teams trying to make the playin will be eliminated. It could be Mavericks
or us
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject:

skin wrote:
petergr wrote:
or us

wut? We won't make the play-in but that's because we'll be in the top 6.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
A video that was made saying that the Lakers should call up the 'new and improved' Jahlil Okafor from the G-League

I like what I was hearing about Okafor. What are they waiting for?

Why not take a chance on another lottery pick to fill a much needed role.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
MJST wrote:

I wanted Jahlil over DLo, oops but yeah, why not take a chance at this point, 10 days plug tax, what’s the cost?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
MJST wrote:

I wanted Jahlil over DLo, oops but yeah, why not take a chance at this point, 10 days plug tax, what’s the cost?

Nah…that ship has sailed. Bron is back very soon and I would bet Bamba is almost there too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1392, 1393, 1394 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 1393 of 2546
Jump to: