NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I wanted Jahlil over DLo, oops but yeah, why not take a chance at this point, 10 days plug tax, what’s the cost?

The real question is, what's the benefit? He hasn't played in the NBA for 2 years. His style of game and skill set don't really offer anything we need. It's hard to imagine any circumstances, other than garbage time, where you would want him in the game over Gabriel and Rui.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
A video that was made saying that the Lakers should call up the 'new and improved' Jahlil Okafor from the G-League

Okafor vs Cauley-Stein in G-League

Every shot is 5 feet from the basket.

Even during a HUGE night, it was a nail biter through 4 quarters. Greats stats, but no impact.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

I wanted Jahlil over DLo, oops but yeah, why not take a chance at this point, 10 days plug tax, what’s the cost?

The real question is, what's the benefit? He hasn't played in the NBA for 2 years. His style of game and skill set don't really offer anything we need. It's hard to imagine any circumstances, other than garbage time, where you would want him in the game over Gabriel and Rui.

If Mo Bamba has a set back, Jahlil can be offered reg contract for playoff eligible, bigger body than Wenyen, option
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

If Mo Bamba has a set back, Jahlil can be offered reg contract for playoff eligible, bigger body than Wenyen, option

I liked Cauley-Stein better back in the day and I see his name up above. Seems too young to be washed up.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject:

Okafor was the number one recruit out of high school, the third overall pick in the draft, and he has a longer wingspan than Kevon Looney.

I get that Looney has a huge motor and strong work ethic, but why can't Okafor be salvaged?

How can you be the best player out of high school, and then third overall pick out of college and then be completely unemployable as a third string center?

I like Wenyen and hope to keep him next year, but I don't get why we wouldn't give Okafor a chance on a ten day.

He outweighs Wenyen by 60 pounds... he might help in some games with Bamba out.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Okafor was the number one recruit out of high school, the third overall pick in the draft, and he has a longer wingspan than Kevon Looney.

I get that Looney has a huge motor and strong work ethic, but why can't Okafor be salvaged?

How can you be the best player out of high school, and then third overall pick out of college and then be completely unemployable as a third string center?

I like Wenyen and hope to keep him next year, but I don't get why we wouldn't give Okafor a chance on a ten day.

If he could have been salvaged he would have been by now. He sucks and some.of it is because he didn't put in the work
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

I liked Cauley-Stein better back in the day and I see his name up above. Seems too young to be washed up.

These suggestions imply that the Lakers would play the scrapheap guys over Rui and Gabriel in significant moments just because they are bigger. I am dubious that would happen.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

These suggestions imply that the Lakers would play the scrapheap guys over Rui and Gabriel in significant moments just because they are bigger. I am dubious that would happen.

I think they imply having an emergency big incase of another injury to a big man while Bamba is still out.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

If he could have been salvaged he would have been by now. He sucks and some.of it is because he didn't put in the work

True but the main reason is we need someone defensively. Someone who can defend the paint, block shots and add resistance at the rim. Okafor is not know for any of those things
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

True but the main reason is we need someone defensively. Someone who can defend the paint, block shots and add resistance at the rim. Okafor is not know for any of those things

I realize now is not the time for experimenting, but Okafor has the same length as Kevon Looney... can actually score the ball, weighs like 30% more than Gabriel and no one wants to use the obvious proven talent like Boogie, Whiteside or Dwight.

He's better than a Davis DNP in the back to back is all I'm saying... that's the only bar he needs to surpass.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I realize now is not the time for experimenting, but Okafor has the same length as Kevon Looney... can actually score the ball, weighs like 30% more than Gabriel and no one wants to use the obvious proven talent like Boogie, Whiteside or Dwight.

He's better than a Davis DNP in the back to back is all I'm saying... that's the only bar he needs to surpass.

I hear you….but AD will be playing B2B now. Bron will be back this week and Bamba is right behind him. Okafor is not needed, just like TT and TB. If anything this should’ve been done a month ago when Bamba went down.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I hear you….but AD will be playing B2B now. Bron will be back this week and Bamba is right behind him. Okafor is not needed, just like TT and TB. If anything this should’ve been done a month ago when Bamba went down.

If Davis plays in the back to back and doesn't get hurt again, I will agree with this... if he doesn't play... I'm going to be very frustrated we didn't sign someone
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

If Davis plays in the back to back and doesn't get hurt again, I will agree with this... if he doesn't play... I'm going to be very frustrated we didn't sign someone

You and me both
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

Okafor is unathletic version of Thomas Bryant on defense. He's that bad. His positive was he can score a bunch of points if you run plays for him because his post moves are good.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Okafor is unathletic version of Thomas Bryant on defense. He's that bad. His positive was he can score a bunch of points if you run plays for him because his post moves are good.

What part of better than a DNP for AD, are people here not getting?

I'm not talking about a three year contract... I'm talking about a ten day contract in case Bamba doesn't come back on time.

We already got caught once with our pants down... do we really want to make it twice at this crucial part of the season?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

I'm not talking about a three year contract... I'm talking about a ten day contract in case Bamba doesn't come back on time.

We already got caught once with our pants down... do we really want to make it twice at this crucial part of the season?

You act like they play with 4 guys when AD is out. The guy that plays is better than Oak.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

You act like they play with 4 guys when AD is out. The guy that plays is better than Oak.

Maybe but if some scrub center costs us going up a seed, I'm going to be pissed we didn't do something about it.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Rui DNP so far….told u guys don’t be so sure this guy is coming back unless he settles for $8 million a year. Maybe. He can be replaced with our first round pick.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Greg Beacham: Patrick Beverley, asked if Chicago is the perfect fit for him: “Yeah. If I’m a spoon, Billy (Donovan) is using me as a spoon. The Lakers, you know, I was a spoon and they used me as a fork.”

Dude sure is spoon feeding us plenty bulletin board material for Wednesday’s game. Hopefully we can have a better showing.

And since ya brought it up, the Lakers didn’t want to fork over a near 50m tax bill on ya, Pat. The more appropriate analogy is that they ax’d ya, cause they didn’t want to be tax’d by ya.

Via another thread…
Quote:
It still bugs me that we dumped PatBev essentially for a salary/tax dump. Orlando didn’t even keep him. We essentially gave Orlando 2nd round picks and cash to have Pat dumped/bought out there.

Russ (47.1m) + Damien (2.3m) aggregated could bring back as much as 61.8m in inbound salary. That’s not even considering JTA’s min deal.

DLo (31.4m) + Beas (15.6m) + Mo (10.3m) + Vando (4.4m) = 61.7m aggregated (in actuality figures are rounded up so the difference was 190k)

Either way, with an open roster spot still, PatBev could have been occupying that spot. So the difference in salary with all these trades is going from Nunn, TB, JTA, Damien, Russ & PatBev (71.3m aggregated) to Rui, Reed, DLo, Beas, Vando & Mo (69.8m aggregated) = which is shedding 1.5m, which saved us 4.9m in taxes this year.

Now apply back PatBev’s salary and the Lakers would have added 11.5m to their salary sheet meaning we have all 15 roster spots occupied, have a team salary total of 180.5m, meaning we are 30.2m over the 150.3m tax line which leads to a total tax bill of 85.95m.

However with essentially a PatBev salary dump, we spending 35.86m in taxes, saving nearly 50m in taxes for ownership.

Btw, had they set up the trade differently (ie looping Orlando into the Minny/Utah trade, dumping Pat would have led to a magical tax-free 13m TPE redeemable for up to 1yr.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:

I think they imply having an emergency big incase of another injury to a big man while Bamba is still out.

That would be reasonable, but I really don't get the impression that people who are pining for Cousins, Howard, Okafor, etc. envision them as "break glass in case of emergency" guys. I think people who advocate for them are fantacizing they will play important minutes over Gabriel and Rui checking big man, rather than just be towel waivers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

Just watching Wenyen/AD get thrown around by Drummond like a rag doll, yikes.

And watching AD with foul trouble and the Lakers having only 6'8, 200 pound Wenyen (or throwing a 38 year old LBJ) as the only backup "center?"

What's Mo's status anyways?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

Pacers currently have the 25/29th pick. Lakers currently projected at 16th pick.

What if Lakers trade Beas/16th for Buddy/25/29? Pacers trade one expiring deal for a younger player and move up 9 spots in the draft.

Or Beas/16th for Myles/25th? Lakers get a big man to really be AD-insurance.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Greg Beacham: Patrick Beverley, asked if Chicago is the perfect fit for him: “Yeah. If I’m a spoon, Billy (Donovan) is using me as a spoon. The Lakers, you know, I was a spoon and they used me as a fork.”

Dude sure is spoon feeding us plenty bulletin board material for Wednesday’s game. Hopefully we can have a better showing.

And since ya brought it up, the Lakers didn’t want to fork over a near 50m tax bill on ya, Pat. The more appropriate analogy is that they ax’d ya, cause they didn’t want to be tax’d by ya.

Via another thread…
Quote:
It still bugs me that we dumped PatBev essentially for a salary/tax dump. Orlando didn’t even keep him. We essentially gave Orlando 2nd round picks and cash to have Pat dumped/bought out there.

Russ (47.1m) + Damien (2.3m) aggregated could bring back as much as 61.8m in inbound salary. That’s not even considering JTA’s min deal.

DLo (31.4m) + Beas (15.6m) + Mo (10.3m) + Vando (4.4m) = 61.7m aggregated (in actuality figures are rounded up so the difference was 190k)

Either way, with an open roster spot still, PatBev could have been occupying that spot. So the difference in salary with all these trades is going from Nunn, TB, JTA, Damien, Russ & PatBev (71.3m aggregated) to Rui, Reed, DLo, Beas, Vando & Mo (69.8m aggregated) = which is shedding 1.5m, which saved us 4.9m in taxes this year.

Now apply back PatBev’s salary and the Lakers would have added 11.5m to their salary sheet meaning we have all 15 roster spots occupied, have a team salary total of 180.5m, meaning we are 30.2m over the 150.3m tax line which leads to a total tax bill of 85.95m.

However with essentially a PatBev salary dump, we spending 35.86m in taxes, saving nearly 50m in taxes for ownership.

Btw, had they set up the trade differently (ie looping Orlando into the Minny/Utah trade, dumping Pat would have led to a magical tax-free 13m TPE redeemable for up to 1yr.

Man he sure talks alot of ish for a guy who isn't THAT good.

He is partially right though, Ham had him out there playing SG and guarding wings like Brandon Ingram
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
MJST wrote:
A video that was made saying that the Lakers should call up the 'new and improved' Jahlil Okafor from the G-League

Okafor vs Cauley-Stein in G-League

Every shot is 5 feet from the basket.

Even during a HUGE night, it was a nail biter through 4 quarters. Greats stats, but no impact.

I remember going back to 2015 when we drafted DLO over Jahlil and how much hate our front office got for that.

Crazy what direction their careers went.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Pacers currently have the 25/29th pick. Lakers currently projected at 16th pick.

What if Lakers trade Beas/16th for Buddy/25/29? Pacers trade one expiring deal for a younger player and move up 9 spots in the draft.

Or Beas/16th for Myles/25th? Lakers get a big man to really be AD-insurance.

I can't see the Pacers giving away Hield or Turner (who they just signed to an extension) just to move up a few spots in the draft.

I don't think we are going to gain talent that painlessly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1393, 1394, 1395 ... 2551, 2552, 2553  Next
Page 1394 of 2553
Jump to: