NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1399, 1400, 1401 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject:

Evaluation time will be play ins.

If in play ins/playoffs certain players fold, and others do well, I can see that hold a lot of weight with the FO.

Just an example. DLO seems to be a great #3 next to AD/Bron. Austin Reaves seems to also be a very good #3. Now plays in come, and DLO does great but Reaves so so, maybe the Lakers consider allowing Reaves to walk so they can get a starter that fits AD/Bron/DLO core. Of course Reaves and DLO could both play well, and both would be priorities to return.

Those are the sort of decisions I think they will have to make. They will need to evaluate rather quickly which players fit in around AD/Bron. That's why I don't assume anything with cap/numbers. I feel the Lakers FO is very very quick to make changes. They've done this numerous times under Pelinka. Roster continuity is a lock only if we go very very deep in the playoffs, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

If in play ins/playoffs certain players fold, and others do well, I can see that hold a lot of weight with the FO.

Just an example. DLO seems to be a great #3 next to AD/Bron. Austin Reaves seems to also be a very good #3. Now plays in come, and DLO does great but Reaves so so, maybe the Lakers consider allowing Reaves to walk so they can get a starter that fits AD/Bron/DLO core. Of course Reaves and DLO could both play well, and both would be priorities to return.

Those are the sort of decisions I think they will have to make. They will need to evaluate rather quickly which players fit in around AD/Bron. That's why I don't assume anything with cap/numbers. I feel the Lakers FO is very very quick to make changes. They've done this numerous times under Pelinka. Roster continuity is a lock only if we go very very deep in the playoffs, IMO.

This group only had 28 or so games together to figure things out and even that was shortened due to injuries. Deep playoff run could have been a lot more easier if Lakers has this team at least mid way through the season to get to top 6 seed. Still only Suns are superior to Lakers talent wise in the West so maybe we could make some noise if the main guys are healthy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

You're probably overthinking the situation. Our options may be greater than they were before the trade deadline, but they are still limited.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Beasley shouldn’t even be considered for next year. I don’t think u can pick up his option and trade him. LET HIM WALK!

Okay, but be prepared for a chorus chanting the following lines next season: "We have no outside shooting on the roster! Everyone knows that you need to surround Lebron with shooters! Why do we have no shooters?" I'm not here to tell you that Beasley is the answer. I'm here to tell you that the question isn't going away. If we have learned anything over the past two offseasons, it is that we will not find acceptable shooters for the vet min.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Beasley shouldn’t even be considered for next year. I don’t think u can pick up his option and trade him. LET HIM WALK!

Okay, but be prepared for a chorus chanting the following lines next season: "We have no outside shooting on the roster! Everyone knows that you need to surround Lebron with shooters! Why do we have no shooters?" I'm not here to tell you that Beasley is the answer. I'm here to tell you that the question isn't going away. If we have learned anything over the past two offseasons, it is that we will not find acceptable shooters for the vet min.

I know AH…but with DLO, Reaves and Christie improving there are cheaper options I.e. Walker players like that. Investing $10 million a year on him, let alone $16 million option is a mistake. He’s having a hard time handling unreasonable fan critics (family which is wrong) and playing in a pressure situation town like here. I’ll tell u this I’m anxious to see what happens Friday without Bamba….when AD goes to the bench and they have Towns, Reid and Gobert.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I know AH…but with DLO, Reaves and Christie improving there are cheaper options I.e. Walker players like that. Investing $10 million a year on him, let alone $16 million option is a mistake. He’s having a hard time handling unreasonable fan critics (family which is wrong) and playing in a pressure situation town like here. I’ll tell u this I’m anxious to see what happens Friday without Bamba….when AD goes to the bench and they have Towns, Reid and Gobert.

Not even when AD goes to the bench. I want to see if anyone will help AD when he helps them on Friday. He stepped out for everyone in the bulls game to shutdown Derozan and Lavine. But he never had anyone rotate down to his guy and help him out with Vucevic when he showed and trapped for them. That’s why Vucevic got off the first half. If no one helps the man when he closes out or traps, the wolves bigs will have easy ones
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The problem with that reasoning is the Lakers will have limited ability to get new players.

No matter how the rest of the year plays out, I think our off season will be about deciding which of the current players we can afford to keep, rather than replacing them with significant additions.

If we let Reaves walk, for instance, it will be because we don't want to pay the luxury tax rather than because we have a superior replacement for him.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

The problem with that reasoning is the Lakers will have limited ability to get new players.

No matter how the rest of the year plays out, I think our off season will be about deciding which of the current players we can afford to keep, rather than replacing them with significant additions.

If we let Reaves walk, for instance, it will be because we don't want to pay the luxury tax rather than because we have a superior replacement for him.

As things stand, there's more chance they'd let LeBron leave than let Reaves walk.

I'm not saying LBJ isn't the better player even at his old age, but I think they've learned their lesson from letting Caruso walk and the likelihood of that is zero.

Even with a poison pill offer.

Now Harden has a bad Achilles.

I think we keep this team together.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

With no cap space, gotta retain assets, flip later if need to. Start over when Bron is gone
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I’ll tell u this I’m anxious to see what happens Friday without Bamba….when AD goes to the bench and they have Towns, Reid and Gobert.

Not even when AD goes to the bench. I want to see if anyone will help AD when he helps them on Friday. He stepped out for everyone in the bulls game to shutdown Derozan and Lavine. But he never had anyone rotate down to his guy and help him out with Vucevic when he showed and trapped for them. That’s why Vucevic got off the first half. If no one helps the man when he closes out or traps, the wolves bigs will have easy ones

Totally agree with this…but they should look to one up this. Forget about when AD sits…have Mo out there covering AD’s ass ie rim protecting so AD can hover the wings.

https://twitter.com/TaIkContext/status/1641458955195936772

For all the BS we hear about Bron/AD having input on the roster, you’d think we would value our 5yr max player’s opinion in having Cs on the squad. Something miraculous needs to happen to still salvage this season from being yet another wasted opportunity. However next season, bring AD that man-na. Get him a starting 2way 5 and watch how biblical our D can get! They’ll be talking it up to the heavens for ages. Shoulda had that 5 here from the jump…still better late than never.

Which brings us back to Beas. Option into that 16.5m…pay the MF’n tax on it and finally invest into a non MLE/vet min big man with it. They can bring in a 20mish player with that contract. Make it count instead of waiving him for tax savings.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Okay, but be prepared for a chorus chanting the following lines next season: "We have no outside shooting on the roster!

That “chorus” would be idiots since DLO and Reaves exist. As well as Max Christie and whoever we draft with our 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

Beasley can get traded for another draft pick even.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
I’ll tell u this I’m anxious to see what happens Friday without Bamba….when AD goes to the bench and they have Towns, Reid and Gobert.

Totally agree with this…but they should look to one up this. Forget about when AD sits…have Mo out there covering AD’s ass ie rim protecting so AD can hover the wings.

For all the BS we hear about Bron/AD having input on the roster, you’d think we would value our 5yr max player’s opinion in having Cs on the squad. Something miraculous needs to happen to still salvage this season from being yet another wasted opportunity. However next season, bring AD that man-na. Get him a starting 2way 5 and watch how biblical our D can get! They’ll be talking it up to the heavens for ages. Shoulda had that 5 here from the jump…still better late than never.

Which brings us back to Beas. Option into that 16.5m…pay the MF’n tax on it and finally invest into a non MLE/vet min big man with it. They can bring in a 20mish player with that contract. Make it count instead of waiving him for tax savings.

Rob Pelinka's annual salary 5 million

Rob Pelinka's net worth 25 million

Lebron James earnings for 2022 124.5 million

Lebron James net worth 1 billion

A school custodian makes about 40k

A school principal makes about 120k

I mention a school custodian because even they make 33% of what a principal makes.

Rob makes 4% of what LBJ makes

His wealth is 2% of what LBJ makes

Jeanie's share of the Lakers is less than LBJ's wealth.

And yet you think LBJ is helpless against Rob.

I get that one has a title and one doesn't... but it is completely naive to push this narrative that LBJ is helpless at the hands of Rob.

The man is richer than Jeanie.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Don’t want to undermine your post @Bil, but I can’t today. We’ve been thru this and I’m just questioning out loud why it’s taken a minute for us to ADdress AD’s most beneficial role to us. He’s a defensive player, so
Maybe we should emphasize exploiting that side of the ball. We’ve been trying to make him an offensive priority at center for years now….and many street clothes and wasted seasons later, we grind’s for a play-in berth. Uh, it’s kinda not working.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
🤦🏻‍♂️

This is exactly how I feel everytime you say LBJ and AD have little or no input.

I think the Russ fiasco helped shift the balance of power, but to say they had little or no say in the Russ deal is crazy to me.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject:

^Edited my post to respect your position, but I just can’t do the back and forth today on a faulty narrative imho. LeGM had 8 consecutive Finals appearances before coming here. Now suddenly he’s more invested in reducing Jeanie’s taxes while making sure his man plays out of position.

Yeah, this narrative stays outta pocket for me. Agree to stay disagree’n fam.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
🤦🏻‍♂️

Don’t want to undermine your post @Bil, but I can’t today. We’ve been thru this and I’m just questioning out loud why it’s taken a minute for us to ADdress AD’s most beneficial role to us. He’s a defensive player, so
Maybe we should emphasize exploiting that side of the ball. We’ve been trying to make him an offensive priority at center for years now….and many street clothes and wasted seasons later, we grind’s for a play-in berth. Uh, it’s kinda not working.

I agree with what you say about salary cap tweaks.

I agree with what you said about trading Beasley for a defensive five.

You just trigger me when you say LBJ has no say on the roster.

Now, finally after years of pain, it feels like Bron is stepping back... but it took a minute to get here... and until the Kyrie/Draymond rumors stop I won't sleep easily.

I like this team as it is currently constructed... I like most of your ideas about maximizing salary efficiency and your center idea.

I don't like trading depth for the third star.

I don't like it when you say LBJ has/had limited influence.

Maybe now, his influence has dwindled... we shall see if they trade for Kyrie or not... but there's no doubt in my mind he inflicted Russ upon us.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree that Beasley isn't worth $16M, at least not the way he has played so far. I also agree that some of the message board criticism is unreasonable. However, the fact that the coaching staff isn't giving him minutes tells me that he has legitimate issues, either mental or physical or just defensive. You don't slash a shooter's minutes that much just because he's running cold.

Russell is a legit three point shooter. Reaves may develop into a legit shooter, but as of now, his shot is too slow for him to be a volume shooter, and his percentage is just good, not exceptional. People get over-excited about Christie. As I just posted in another thread, his three-point percentage in the G League was 29%. He may develop into a good player, but we need to temper expectations about him until he has more time to develop.

Anyway, what I'm reacting to is the current "ditch Beasley" mentality around here. I understand it. I don't fault anyone for being frustrated with him. I get it. But if it's not Beasley, who's going to stretch the floor?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

Imo it takes more than one player to stretch the floor. Beasley's not stretching anything right now because he's typically played with nonshooters. When you employ Lebron, AD, and Vanderbilt (often in the same lineup) you're basically only going to be getting clean looks from deep in semi-transition. And we don't have a lineup with 4-5 floor spacers. At best you can play Reaves, DLo, and Beasley at once with maybe Bamba at the 5 and LeBron at the 4. That is too niche of a lineup to make a meaningful impact imo.

I think Beasley's a prime target to get traded for another player that maybe provides some cap relief. Or packing him + Bamba/Rui + whatever for a solid rotation player + cap relief.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I mention a school custodian because even they make 33% of what a principal makes.

I get that one has a title and one doesn't... but it is completely naive to push this narrative that LBJ is helpless at the hands of Rob.

This is apples and oranges.

Sure, Lebron's wealth allows him to do a lot of things Jeanie and Rob can't do.

But it doesn't allow him to control the Lakers roster.

He can't force Jeanie to pay the luxury tax. He can't pay the luxury tax for her, even if he wanted to.

The most Lebron can do is threaten to opt out of $50 million contract and leave next season if he doesn't get what he wants, but I doubt that threat would matter to the Lakers at this point.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

This is apples and oranges.

Sure, Lebron's wealth allows him to do a lot of things Jeanie and Rob can't do.

But it doesn't allow him to control the Lakers roster.

He can't force Jeanie to pay the luxury tax. He can't pay the luxury tax for her, even if he wanted to.

The most Lebron can do is threaten to opt out of $50 million contract and leave next season if he doesn't get what he wants, but I doubt that threat would matter to the Lakers at this point.

Which is why the team is becoming more balanced again.

There is a correlation between the less the Lakers care about what Lebron does and the improved condition of their roster.

Two years ago, this wasn't the case.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:

There is a correlation between the less the Lakers care about what Lebron does and the improved condition of their roster.

I know a lot of people think that the whole Westbrook fiasco was Lebron's doing entirely, and the Lakers were captive to his wishes. Whether that is actually true is another's guess. People also seem to think Lebron had no input into all the recent changes . Again, whether that is true or not, is anyone's guess.

The Lakers decision-making process is a difficult thing to read
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree that Beasley isn't worth $16M, at least not the way he has played so far. I also agree that some of the message board criticism is unreasonable. However, the fact that the coaching staff isn't giving him minutes tells me that he has legitimate issues, either mental or physical or just defensive. You don't slash a shooter's minutes that much just because he's running cold.

Russell is a legit three point shooter. Reaves may develop into a legit shooter, but as of now, his shot is too slow for him to be a volume shooter, and his percentage is just good, not exceptional. People get over-excited about Christie. As I just posted in another thread, his three-point percentage in the G League was 29%. He may develop into a good player, but we need to temper expectations about him until he has more time to develop.

Anyway, what I'm reacting to is the current "ditch Beasley" mentality around here. I understand it. I don't fault anyone for being frustrated with him. I get it. [b]But if it's not Beasley, who's going to stretch the floor?[/b

His value as a floor stretcher is non-existent when he has SPLITS LIKE THIS!

You're an analytics guy. As a Laker, Beas is literally posting career worsts in PER, TS%, TOV%, WS, BPM, etc.

I don't know if he has personal issues, professional issues, medical issues or what, but the man is a liability on the court right now. Nothing personal - he just stinks and we are too late in the season to gamble on trying to fix him. Maybe he walks next year and finds his game with another team. Good for him if it happens, but the Lakers don't need to gamble their money on Beasley getting right.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I know a lot of people think that the whole Westbrook fiasco was Lebron's doing entirely, and the Lakers were captive to his wishes. Whether that is actually true is another's guess. People also seem to think Lebron had no input into all the recent changes . Again, whether that is true or not, is anyone's guess.

Let's put it this way.

Had LBJ wanted Hield instead of Russ... I don't feel I'm going too far out on a limb to say that trade would have happened instead.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sometimes coaching matters. Guys don’t have success with other teams and then suddenly fall apart here because they change teams.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Let's put it this way.

Had LBJ wanted Hield instead of Russ... I don't feel I'm going too far out on a limb to say that trade would have happened instead.

Sure, I agree with that. Rob had his sights set on Hield, so if Lebron had seconded that he would have done the deal.

I just don't believe the notion that Rob grudgingly switched from Hield to Westbrook because he was catering to Lebron's wishes. I think when Lebron and AD presented him with the idea, Rob said, "I like that. Westbrook sounds better than Hield to me."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1399, 1400, 1401 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 1400 of 2558
Jump to: