NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1567, 1568, 1569 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

Love Schro but I hope we don't get fooled into thinking he's DLO's replacement
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

I'm sure someone already brought up his name but I think Divincenzo is a potentially good value signing. Plus defender, good 3-point shooting on 5+ attempts, and I don't think he'll warrant the entire NTMLE. Definitely felt his presence in that Warriors series. A non-liability at the very least from what I could tell.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Not totally buying that Beas is an asset at that price. Feels a bit like a leverage play through the media to generate buzz around draft day. There's just too many mixed messages out there between this and others that the team wants to avoid the tax altogether which probably isn't realistic if you opt in for Beas. I'm sure their hope is to field a contender and avoid the tax but they probably know very well that there are factors beyond their control that preclude that. I just heard from Jake Fischer on the Lakers Lounge podcast that there is a directive from up top that exceeding the 2nd apron is off the table. So are they entertaining another luxury tax payment next summer? Of course they are. But until they get a better read on the market, the final CBA numbers, and more details on the new CBA, I doubt they have a grasp on how it eventually plays out.

Ultimately, if the default stance is indeed running it back and skirting the tax as AH noted, I don't see a world where Beas is making $16 million with us.

Beasley has not shown he is worth what his contract is for, but I do think he possesses some value in the trade market for where the league is headed. To another team he can be a useful player but also use his contract as a means to cut down salary.

With the new CBA taking effect, we will likely see a greater number of trades this season so teams can prepare their payrolls for the new luxury tax apron rules. It'll come down to the numbers/taxes Jeanie wants to commit to, but I don't think it's a horrible mistake to hold onto Beasley and see what we can turn his expiring contract into. Obviously AR/Rui are priority above all else, so I get it if Beasley is not retained for that reason.

Letting players like BroLo and Caruso go for zero return is such poor management. I don't think Beasley is on their level, but this CBA change is more about capitalizing on other teams trying to get their house in order and taking advantage of it by dangling Beasley's expiring contract.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject:

^I like it @G!

Dubs would be without a MLE since they projecting to be over the 2nd Apron. If he does opt out from his player option, the dubs can only turn to nonbird to pay him up to 5.4m (coincidentally 400k more than the tpMLE amount that’s banned from being used by them).

But I like the idea of bringing in defenders. Our coaching can always work on improving them as shooters, but please bring in defenders! I’m sick of these d1mensional players. If they can’t play a lick of D, kick rocks!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

I’m hoping the Myles Turner thing is again this summer’s smoke screen because mentioning anything Indiana is nothing but fatigue at this point.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject:

DDV is a good call out. If a series is too physical and Russell is being targeted, start DDV instead and have LeBron/AR play point. We probably need a fourth guard (Christie?) especially in the regular season (assuming Schro is gone) but finding someone off the bargain bin should be doable.

If the rest of the ntMLE can go towards a passable center (Plumlee?), then that just leaves a wing with length as the weak link in the roster. Which... well we pray Vando learns to hit 3s or Christie has a breakout season (as 3&D)
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DDV is a good call out. If a series is too physical and Russell is being targeted, start DDV instead and have LeBron/AR play point. We probably need a fourth guard (Christie?) especially in the regular season (assuming Schro is gone) but finding someone off the bargain bin should be doable.

If the rest of the ntMLE can go towards a passable center (Plumlee?), then that just leaves a wing with length as the weak link in the roster. Which... well we pray Vando learns to hit 3s or Christie has a breakout season (as 3&D)

so how much are we paying for DLO to come off the bench when it really matters?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I’m hoping the Myles Turner thing is again this summer’s smoke screen because mentioning anything Indiana is nothing but fatigue at this point.

yeah, we know indy FO and ownership still hates from PG days and wont trade unless its a home run and some more for them
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject:

I think DDV is priced out of the TPMLE. He's probably looking for the NTPMLE.

I think our problem is that Rob inordinately stacks the roster with smaller guards (beginning of last year: Russ/Bev/Reaves/Lonnie/Dennis/Nunn were all getting major minutes).

We've used the TPMLE on Nunn/Lonnie, would like to use or exception on some bigger players.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^I like it @G!

Dubs would be without a MLE since they projecting to be over the 2nd Apron. If he does opt out from his player option, the dubs can only turn to nonbird to pay him up to 5.4m (coincidentally 400k more than the tpMLE amount that’s banned from being used by them).

But I like the idea of bringing in defenders. Our coaching can always work on improving them as shooters, but please bring in defenders! I’m sick of these d1mensional players. If they can’t play a lick of D, kick rocks!

I wouldn't go that far. Look what happened with Vando. I think we need to focus 2-way players that won't be liabilities even if they aren't spectacular at anything they do.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

so how much are we paying for DLO to come off the bench when it really matters?

That's an oversimplification. If DLO is hitting his 3s then he's probably not riding the bench to the extent that he did against Denver. He did it well enough against the Grizz and against the Dubs. Ironically, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if they lost that Dubs series. Is there any reason to believe he simply choked against Denver versus that he just ran into a cold spell? Also, there will be many instances where closing with 3 guards makes sense.

I think it's also easy to overreact to the playoffs and disregard the regular season. You still have to get there first. As someone that can take the scoring load off our stars during the regular season, DLO is still our best option.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

Would love Naz Reid but I'd also settle on a solid center tandem that gives us versatility. Someone like Drummond to spell AD but also a floor spacer like Leonard (if not Bamba) that you can also play alongside AD if the matchup calls for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the NTMLE is enough to secure DDV + Drummond and also Leonard/Bamba with minimum. Doing the math, I'd really like to give us closer to $25 mil wiggle room under the hard cap for Rui. You can announce to the world that you'll match everything and anything but teams won't take it seriously if they know you have less than $20 million remaining under a hard cap. If there's any room leftover, you either re-sign Lonnie or use the BAE.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

Drew Eubanks, a center in FA we can sign
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject:

^^^ Another good value signing. Not enough body of work to be relied on as a floor spacer so I see him more as someone that spells AD. I like Drummond a bit more with his body of work and he's got a bit more heft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Would love Naz Reid but I'd also settle on a solid center tandem that gives us versatility. Someone like Drummond to spell AD but also a floor spacer like Leonard (if not Bamba) that you can also play alongside AD if the matchup calls for it. I wouldn't be surprised if the NTMLE is enough to secure DDV + Drummond and also Leonard/Bamba with minimum. Doing the math, I'd really like to give us closer to $25 mil wiggle room under the hard cap for Rui. You can announce to the world that you'll match everything and anything but teams won't take it seriously if they know you have less than $20 million remaining under a hard cap. If there's any room leftover, you either re-sign Lonnie or use the BAE.

Dwight/Dennis both came back and redeemed themselves (to varying degrees). Why not Drummond?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

It's crazy that Drummond went from nearly $30m/year to getting minimum deals.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's crazy that Drummond went from nearly $30m/year to getting minimum deals.

It says a lot about how the NBA has changed over the last ten years.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Bobby Portis would be an amazing get to be the stretch 5. I know Portis would like to play for Ham (see news).

I wonder what the Bucks plans are with Brook and Middleton.

If they need to cut payroll, a Portis for #17 and Beasley (Bamba) would be amazing.

Beasley could replace Middleton if he leaves in FA.

Bamba is a big body.

Bucks don't have a 1st rd pick this yr.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
^I like it @G!

I wouldn't go that far. Look what happened with Vando. I think we need to focus 2-way players that won't be liabilities even if they aren't spectacular at anything they do.

I mean there is a reason dude was a 40th something pick and on the contract he’s currently under. Yeah, in order to be 2way, there’s gotta be some offensive acumen to a player, but imho it’s more likely you can learn how to shoot more consistently than it is to learn how to play defense more consistently haha.

I believe Vando, or any defensive player for that matter, can look to score or be in better positions to score (ie dives, cuts, etc) once he develops that chemistry in knowing how to play with guys like Bron/AD.

Obviously these guys are harder to find, but my choice in paying 20m for predominantly a 1way guy…it would be the defensive option.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

To elaborate…Hypothetically speaking, let’s say we go the non Ky cap route…I’d renounce Rui, DLo, Beas & Mo’s rights to target & offer RFA CamJ a deal.

Bron, AD, Vando, MaxC, Reaves QO caphold, #17 caphold & 6IR charges leads to about 28.7m in cap space. If BK matches, we can rescind all those renounced players and get their bird rights back onto our books.

The only downside to this thought exercise in bringing in a 2way player is it could cost us Rui since we would lose our RFA status on dude and then he’d be free to sign to anyone else as an UFA.

But give me a player with 2way ability like CamJ on a 25m+ deal vs a dude like DLo on a 20mish type deal.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I want somebody that we can play with Anthony Davis instead of backing him up

Allow Anthony Davis to be that Robing defender that is his best defensive position
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
To elaborate…Hypothetically speaking, let’s say we go the non Ky cap route…I’d renounce Rui, DLo, Beas & Mo’s rights to target & offer RFA CamJ a deal.

Bron, AD, Vando, MaxC, Reaves QO caphold, #17 caphold & 6IR charges leads to about 28.7m in cap space. If BK matches, we can rescind all those renounced players and get their bird rights back onto our books.

The only downside to this thought exercise in bringing in a 2way player is it could cost us Rui since we would lose our RFA status on dude and then he’d be free to sign to anyone else as an UFA.

But give me a player with 2way ability like CamJ on a 25m+ deal vs a dude like DLo on a 20mish type deal.

In a vacuum sure. But you're also sacrificing Rui who will likely get less than that. DLO @ 20m especially on shorter duration is tradable IMO. Feels like this otherwise goes against everything you tout in terms of asset retention.

Otherwise, as you noted, CamJ is clearly a two-way talent so I have no quibble with him. I'm assuming you wouldn't give that $20mil to an ace defender that barely knows how to spell corner three though. Thybulle? Vando? Probably not. I think it's a mistake to bring in defenders and hope they become shooters any time soon. Even then, they tend to be of the streaky variety.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

What is the likelihood of the following roster from a cap perspective? What needs to happen?

DLo
Austin
Rui
Bron
AD

Max
Vando
Dennis (BAE)
Bamba

TPMLE (Reid? Strus?)

That's 12 players. Fill out the rest of the roster on vet minimums (possibly bring back Brown, Wenyen, Lonnie). Is this economically feasible?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I'm sure someone already brought up his name but I think Divincenzo is a potentially good value signing. Plus defender, good 3-point shooting on 5+ attempts, and I don't think he'll warrant the entire NTMLE. Definitely felt his presence in that Warriors series. A non-liability at the very least from what I could tell.

I can see him as an upgrade over LWIV with better 3pt shooting, rebounding, playmaking, and defense. Lonnie scores slightly more with slightly more overall efficiency but I’ll take Divinceno over LWIV as an overall better contributor, especially with the much better defense…and they may end up costing about the same.

We would likely need Dlo to take 20m and Rui to take 12m however if we want to add him to Dlo/Schro/AR/Vandi/LBJ/Rui/Mo/AD and stay under the tax but that is the same situation for LWIV. Other options are there too like Dlo18m and Rui14 or perhaps moving the draft picks for future drafts…could also use him as a replacement for both Schro and LWIV since AR can play PG and the pay Dlo22m and Rui15m. We’d be thinner in the backcourt tho. Interesting to consider.

Of course another option would be to just go slightly over the apron and pay the darn tax…signing Dlo22m, Rui15m, Divi7m…can do that if we sign AR last for 12m.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Few ideas for off-season.

Beasley & Bamba - 2nd-47
Nurkic 2nd-44

DLo & 24 2nd 25th 2nd (sign 3-65) and trade for
Terry Rozier and 39th pick.

17th Pick - Carson Wallace
39th pick - Dariq Whitehead SF
44th pick - Julian Strawther

12 mid Level - Dante DiVincenzo
4.4 Jaden McDaniels

G-Rozier, Reaves, Wallace, Dante, Christie
F- Bron, Rui, McDaniels, Whitehead, Vando, Strawther
C-AD, Nurk,

Longtime LG lurker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1567, 1568, 1569 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 1568 of 2546
Jump to: