NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1591, 1592, 1593 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
You guys really want CP-choker-3?
I don’t get it.

Eh vet minimum? Sure

I hate him tough, after Westbrook, cp0 is the guy I hate the most with his flopping and other shenanigans
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject:

Signing CP3 to the vet min would be akin to the Clippers signing Westbrook. You're not paying the massive salary that the previous team was and if you can find a role for him, he can still really contribute.

If he is an option at the minimum, that drastically changes the entire outlook of the offseason. A) I don't think Dennis is going to be a vet min guy again. B) We need to use the MLE (whichever we have) on size. CP3 slots in as back up PG, we can use MLE on either wings and/or size. You then have Bamba/Beasley to move in a trade to address other areas or simply let them go to save Jeanie some tax money,
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject:

We need to be using the tpMLE (or full MLE should we free it up) for a wing or big. Enough of using our biggest free agent slots on guards.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

Watch Kyrie end up in PHX just to stick it to Tsai
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
We need to be using the tpMLE (or full MLE should we free it up) for a wing or big. Enough of using our biggest free agent slots on guards.

I'd love to be able to do that, problem is I did not see anyone within available price range that fits that bill. By way of example, would LOVE to get Jeremi Grant...but unless some magical smoke and mirrors trade in an alternate universe happens...he wont come here by FA or sign/ trade.

Theoretically CP3 resolves some issues. He is not as terribad as many post, he is just bloody injury prone, is old (in NBA terms), and is not as good as he once was. But dude still had like a 4:1 turnover assist ratio, shot 37% from 3, and shockingly had (for whatever this stat is worth) a better PER than D'lo.

He arguably can fit a certain "3 and D' role and also run the offense. If he was willing to do that off that bench...or just take whatever role we need (eg off bench, occassional starter, etc), and is willing to play here for a chance to win a ring and not $, it doesnt hurt.

However, after sleeping on this, I have a really hard time seeing CP3 coming here - unless the FO just does something idiotic (which is entirely possible) and elects to actually make him the starting PG (if they do that, oh brother, we know the injury is coming...). What I think will happen is CP3 still wants to start and still wants to feel like he is making an impact with a shot at ring, and still wants to get paid - my read on him (and this is just my read, I have never met the man) is he will scoff at the notion of being paid a minimum or even a mid level exception.

That doesnt leave much option for him, however, and I havent gone around and analyzed who could make room for him...but that's my prediction, he will end up somewhere: 1. With a starting role 2. with a shot at a playoff run 3. And he still makes at least a decent level of money (for him), eg close to 20 mil. I still think for him making $$ is just as, if not close as, important to a shot at ring.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

SAS and JJ Redick when asked what team would give CP3 the best chance to win a championship said the Lakers. Jay Williams thought the Celtics would be his best bet.

I disagree. I think he should stay where he is. The Suns are his best shot. KD and Booker if healthy is his best chance. Health being key.

I think it was a mistake to fire Monty Williams. He's a great coach.

Chris Paul addresses critics after what may be his final season with Phoenix Suns

Duane Rankin
Arizona Republic

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Beasley/17th for Duncan Robinson once Denver takes care of business in this series

Miami likes playing around with draft picks and the 17th pick allows them to add to there players like Martin/Strus/Vincent

AD for Ben Simmons while we're at it.

Wat chu been smoking? Better lay off the shrooms

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SAS and JJ Redick when asked what team would give CP3 the best chance to win a championship said the Lakers. Jay Williams thought the Celtics would be his best bet.

I disagree. I think he should stay where he is. The Suns are his best shot. KD and Booker if healthy is his best chance. Health being key.

Chris Paul addresses critics after what may be his final season with Phoenix Suns

Duane Rankin
Arizona Republic

LINK

U do realize it's the Suns that's planning to push CP3 out to open up their salary cap flexibility right?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Signing CP3 to the vet min would be akin to the Clippers signing Westbrook. You're not paying the massive salary that the previous team was and if you can find a role for him, he can still really contribute.

If he is an option at the minimum, that drastically changes the entire outlook of the offseason. A) I don't think Dennis is going to be a vet min guy again. B) We need to use the MLE (whichever we have) on size. CP3 slots in as back up PG, we can use MLE on either wings and/or size. You then have Bamba/Beasley to move in a trade to address other areas or simply let them go to save Jeanie some tax money,

If by Bamba/Beasley to move in a trade you mean getting a legitimate back up center then I’m with ya. Otherwise I don’t understand why so many posters want to dump Mo without a better replacement. I get that he was a no-show this season but he has shown over the course of his career to be an excellent shot blocker, rebounder, and 3pt shooter. Those skills at center to play with and without AD improve the team so significantly to the point where it should not be overlooked. Using a portion of the MLE on Bamba would help the team more than a big wing since there is no back up C but LBJ/Vandi are big wings…limited I know but…they are more effective than have no-one at back up C.

Again, if a trade replaces Bamba then great…Beasley/Bamba/17th/2nd for Heild/Turner…go with it, otherwise keep Bamba.

This 9 man rotation would be sick good tho:
Dlo/CP3
AR/Heild
LBJ/Vandi
AD/Rui
Turner

Add these deep reserves and waltz to a title:
ShaqH/MaxC/TBjr/Gabe/TT

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Duane Rankin
Arizona Republic

LINK

U do realize it's the Suns that's planning to push CP3 out to open up their salary cap flexibility right?

YUP! Note the green italisized bolded. He has a partially guaranteed contract next season which is why I said he should stay where he is. I don't think he's hurting for money. IMO he wants a ring. Chris Paul's Net Worth
$160 Million

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

CP3 at the vet min is better than signing Rondo at the vet min a few years ago (2019). He should be limited to 24-26 mpg, and ideally off the bench ala Rondo (not starting games with LBJ).

There's no reason to be against it for a vet min. Even arguable up to a full MLE. What you don't do is trade for him, by any means at that price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject:

If he's waived then the Lakers should be able to negotiate ahead of the FA crowd. That would be a big deal to have one domino out of the way ahead of the draft. It's a bigger deal having an agreement before they have to make a decision on DLO. That takes leverage from DLO's camp.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There's no reason to be against it for a vet min. Even arguable up to a full MLE. What you don't do is trade for him, by any means at that price.

I wouldn't do it for more than the BAE, and even that would be questionable. We do not need another small guard. We need a wing and/or a center. Ten years ago, or even five years ago, Paul was more than just another small guard. That was then, this is now.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Beasley/17th for Duncan Robinson once Denver takes care of business in this series

Miami likes playing around with draft picks and the 17th pick allows them to add to there players like Martin/Strus/Vincent

I'm not giving up picks to bail Miami out Duncan Robinson's bloated contract no matter how well he's playing in that series.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
However, after sleeping on this, I have a really hard time seeing CP3 coming here - unless the FO just does something idiotic (which is entirely possible) and elects to actually make him the starting PG (if they do that, oh brother, we know the injury is coming...). What I think will happen is CP3 still wants to start and still wants to feel like he is making an impact with a shot at ring, and still wants to get paid - my read on him (and this is just my read, I have never met the man) is he will scoff at the notion of being paid a minimum or even a mid level exception.

At this point in his career, he's probably motivated by one of two things: winning a championship OR playing with his friend (i.e. LBJ). If the Lakers weren't a contender, I don't think the allure of signing with the Lakers would be there. I think there's probably a pretty strong chance that LBJ would be in his ear, and I think the Lakers recognize that they need a PG and the market is rather barren. I could see the Lakers viewing CP3 was a short-term fix, and then look for a potential long-term answer.

Sign CP3 (Vet Min/Partial MLE/MLE)
Re-sign Dennis Schroder (Veteran Minimum)
Re-Sign D'Angelo Russell (2 years, $40M or 3 years, $54M)

PG: CP3 / Dennis Schroder / #17
SG: Austin Reaves / D'Angelo Russell / Max Christie
SF: LeBron James / Malik Beasley
PF: Jared Vanderbilt
C: Anthony Davis / Mo Bamba

Needs some big man depth, but you can dangle Malik Beasley and Mo Bamba's contract along with some SRPs for bloated, but productive players on long-term contracts.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

If Schroder signs for the minimum again, I'd be checking him for offshore accounts in the Caymans.

Would I like to see him back? Sure, but I can't visualize him working for that cheap again.

The problem is that in 2023-2024 it's probably better to have CP3 than DLo, but by 2024-2025 it will be better to have DLo.

Just like it will be better to have Bron in 2023-2024 but maybe Jerami Grant in 2024-2025. (That's not going to happen but personally I'd take Jerami and Brook rather than spend 53 million)

Schroder's not really worth a big contract because again he showed his offensive limitations in the playoffs, but he's not a minimum either.

And so while Dennis/CP3 might work next year, then the following year you are f&cked without DLo.

It's a tough call on what to do.

I just hope Max pans out, AR continues to improve and maybe we get further reinforcements in the draft.

But we still need that center too.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
DrDent wrote:

At this point in his career, he's probably motivated by one of two things: winning a championship OR playing with his friend (i.e. LBJ). If the Lakers weren't a contender, I don't think the allure of signing with the Lakers would be there. I think there's probably a pretty strong chance that LBJ would be in his ear, and I think the Lakers recognize that they need a PG and the market is rather barren. I could see the Lakers viewing CP3 was a short-term fix, and then look for a potential long-term answer.

Sign CP3 (Vet Min/Partial MLE/MLE)
Re-sign Dennis Schroder (Veteran Minimum)
Re-Sign D'Angelo Russell (2 years, $40M or 3 years, $54M)

PG: CP3 / Dennis Schroder / #17
SG: Austin Reaves / D'Angelo Russell / Max Christie
SF: LeBron James / Malik Beasley
PF: Jared Vanderbilt
C: Anthony Davis / Mo Bamba

Needs some big man depth, but you can dangle Malik Beasley and Mo Bamba's contract along with some SRPs for bloated, but productive players on long-term contracts.

You're building like Rob did last summer-- all guards.

Malik is not a SF. And you completely forgot Rui. D'lo isn't going to sign to come off the bench and Dennis won't take the min to be 4th on the guard totem pole.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject:

You ride with DLO during regular season and load balance CP3. When DLO becomes unplayable at playoffs you lean on CP3
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I wouldn't do it for more than the BAE, and even that would be questionable. We do not need another small guard. We need a wing and/or a center. Ten years ago, or even five years ago, Paul was more than just another small guard. That was then, this is now.

Would you trade Schroder for ancient CP3? - MLE opportunity cost
Would you hard cap yourself and give up a backup big? - Possible BAE cost
Would your guard rotation be AR/DLo/DS/CP3? I think there's a minutes issue when CP3 is not out with injury. Do we really want to see if Ham can resist AR at the 3?

For me, it's only at vet min and if expectations are set ahead of times that he's probably coming off the bench with a pretty light load minutes wise.

Now if we flat out lose DS, then most of the concerns leave with him and we actually need a vet min level 4th guard for the 30 games CP3 will miss.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject:

I almost have to think we're going full MLE (nontaxper or not) to a big. Guard play wasn't what killed us - it was AD going to the bench and the Lakers getting shredded.

Turner or BroLo / Vet Min or FRP (Centers)

AD / LBJ / Rui / Vanderbilt / Vet Min or SRP (Forwards)

Dlo / Reaves / Christie / Schroder or Lonnie or CP3 / Vet Min (Guards)

This is the template IMO.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

Nash came here to retire and call it a career. Cp3 will do the same. Don't expect him to turn back the clock. Expect him to mail it in. Maybe he can mentor DLo or Shroder

We love HOF PGs when they are washed. GP, Nash, Westbrook, Richmond...
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
You ride with DLO during regular season and load balance CP3. When DLO becomes unplayable at playoffs you lean on CP3

Yep..that would be perfect. Its the same as what Spurs did with Horry.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

That's exactly as my imagination pictured it as well
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Hearing Harden to PHX has some smoke, does Booker/Harden/KD get it done?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
^^^ I'm really not that interested in CP3, unless he is coming cheap.

Can’t get cheaper than vet min. I’m with MJST, resign Dlo/AR/Rui and bring in CP3 to replace Schro. I’d also want to fill out the roster with LWIV/TBjr/Vandi/Gabe/Mo to team with LBJ/AD.

AD/Mo
Rui/Gabe
LBJ/Vandi/TBjr
AR/LWIV/MaxC
Dlo/CP3

I also think that Cp3 working with both DLO and Reaves would be very beneficial to us with them picking their brain. DLO having picked Kobe's brain and earned his respect and learning from CP3 which is things he's done, but being able to do it every day at practice and for a season would be fantastic for him I think.

Those kinds of vets are valuable to a team. CP3 if he can be had for the vets minimum and takes a bench role would be extremely beneficial to have for players such as DLO and Reaves on the team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1591, 1592, 1593 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 1592 of 2558
Jump to: