LAKERS -at- PISTONS - 12-11-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- PISTONS - 12-11-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Finishing up the Road Trip... After winning their first two on the road, the Lakers needed this one to go .500 on the trip.

The Lakers pulled out to a 15-5 lead early on after an 11-0 run. They would lead by as many as 14 points in the first half before coming out flat again in the third quarter. They allowed 41 points as the Pistons reeled them in.

Multiple defenders tried to cool off Bojan Bogdanovic in the third quarter, but he was in a zone. He scored 25 of his 38 points in the third quarter.

After nearly getting caught by the Pistons, the Lakers bench units helped scratch out an 8-point midway through the fourth quarter. The Pistons would make it close down the stretch and cut it to a one-possession game.

With just over 12 seconds left, LeBron worked the pick and roll in the middle of the floor. He drew one defender, then the strong side corner defender and kicked it out to Austin Reaves in the corner. Reaves, who hit a first half buzzer beater, drilled the three over the closing defender with a second left on the shotclock.

That was the dagger. The Lakers won 124-117.

LeBron -- -- Of course, we ran the key play through LeBron. He worked the pick and roll, drew multiple defenders and kicked it to Reaves when they left the strong-side corner shooter. Strong push in the second quarter. He had 14 of his 19 first half points in that quarter and was the only one scoring for the first 4+ minutes. He made 8-12 in the first half. A couple nice sequences with Russ again. They’ve got some chemistry on those deep pick and rolls, so when the Pistons overplayed and LeBron cut backdoor with the counter, Russ instantly hit him for the score. That’s the kind of action it took a few weeks playing together to finally mesh. They have to hang with Russ in close range since he’s a threat to get to the rim, so it’s allowing for some quick hits like this. A few good cuts by LeBron tonight (AD hit him out of a double for another score). A lot of the turnaround jumper action tonight with mixed results, including a tough one over a couple defenders in the corner with about 3 minutes left. LeBron also had a big pushout for a layup with 2 minutes left. On the downside, he took an awful one-footed running three on the next possession and missed. The Stats: He scored 35 points on 14-24 shooting (2-6 from three, 5-5 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 37 minutes. He was a +18.

Davis -- -- He scored 22 of his 34 in the second half on 8-11 shooting. I don’t recall if we had a 30+ game from both AD and LBJ this season, but we haven’t seen too much of it. The scoring by AD lately has been dominant, but I’ve also liked how well he’s passed out of double teams and the attention he has been gathering this season. Part of that is guys recognizing when to cut. The team has done a good job with that this season. Late in the game, AD drew a double and hit LeBron cutting for a layup. One of his 7 assists on the night. Prior to that he had a couple big dunks, including a putback jam off some Westbrook dribble penetration where AD had to stretch out to hammer that one. He also dunked in a crowd after they tried fronting him. Some good passing by the team over the top of the D tonight. AD was pretty nimble around the rim tonight, including an And-1 reverse. (As pointed out on the broadcast, he probably got away with a couple of hook fouls in the post tonight.) The Stats: He scored 34 points on 12-18 shooting (0-1 from three, 10-12 from the line) to go with 15 boards, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +7.

Walker IV -- -- That three ball was money tonight. He swished his first on a swing pass, then another on an inside-out sequence. He’d score a layup and that would have him 8 of the Lakers first 13 points. He was quiet until the fourth when he attacked off the three line, hung and around a defender and scored a the rim. That hang time makes him tough to defend around the rim. He’d also drill a corner three on a LeBron kickout. Again, LeBron drawing attention and finding shooters. We made the Pistons pay tonight with 11-26 shooting from three. Lonnie had 4 of those. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-10 shooting (4-6 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +2.

Beverley -- -- He was the primary defender on Bogdanovic tonight. When Pat sat in the third, that’s when Bogdanovic went off. He got into the zone and there was no stopping the heatcheck makes after that. Pat was a bit foul prone on his D and gave up some key FTs. A couple big plays in the close from Pat tonight. He drew FTs setting a screen with 2:36. He also stripped Bogdanovic on help D to get a stop after LBJ had made a big layup on the previous play. That was a key sequence. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 1-5 shooting (1-4 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and 4 fouls in 24 minutes. He was a +5.

Schröder -- -- He got the close tonight with Bev and Reaves. No Russ. Some feisty D late in the game. Offensively, not much. He missed a key layup with about 40 seconds left on a drive (he may have been fouled and often gets the call in those situations). Just a couple buckets tonight, a three off a scramble play and a drive for a finger roll. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-6 shooting (1-2 from the three) to go with 2 boards, 5 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +15.

Westbrook -- -- An interesting matchup going on in parts of this game with Bogdanovic. Russ gave up some scores against him when Bev went to the bench. Later, though, Russ would blow past Bogdanovic for multiple scores. He had some poor moments in hist last shift, though. He was doubled and threw a turnover away. He threw in another pass away in transition for a three the other way. Then, Russ missed a three himself. Some really good playmaking and reads by Russ to set teammates up. He found LeBron several times for scores. When he’s able to keep his man occupied or draw help defenders with the ball in his hands, that makes it easier on LeBron. When the ball is in LeBron’s hands and the D can ignore Russ, that’s when we have problems. So late in the game, we saw no Russ to close this one because of some of those issues. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-9 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 9 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 21 minutes. He was a -12.

Reaves -- -- At the end of the first half, we found Reaves and he drilled the three with the clock expiring. Fast forward to our key offensive possession in the final seconds. LeBron was attacking to his right on the pick and roll. That sucked the corner defender in, LeBron kicked it out a little low, but Reaves gathered and swished all in one motion before falling into the stands. Shot of the game. All three of his buckets were from three tonight. It was actually a pretty unremarkable game by Reaves despite the fireworks. Defensively, he was as disruptive as usual. Offensively, all that aggressive he played with in the previous game was MIA tonight. The growth he needs to learn is how to scratch out a few points every game on some pet plays to help him be consistent. In any event, not aggressive tonight, but he came up big regardless. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-6 shooting (3-5 from three) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 3 turnovers and no fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +3.

Brown -- -- Some little things tonight. He drew FTS on a cut for his only points. He had a nice save of an offensive board to AD under the hoop for FTs. He also knocked a post entry pass to loose to get a stop. Some good boxouts, as well. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three, 2-2 from the line to go with 4 boards (2 offensive) and 1 steal in 15 minutes. He was a -2.

Bryant -- -- He had an excellent stretch of two-way ball during a key portion of the game. When AD went out in the fourth to get his rest, Bryant was able to block a couple of shots and also draw some FTs. The team was up 8 when AD returned after being up just 1 to start the quarter. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-4 shooting (1-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 2 blocks and no fouls in 12 minutes. He was a +0.

Nunn -- -- Not much action in this game. Just one shift of 3 minutes. Bogdanovic blew past him for a layup. Lakers cut that short. The Stats: He didn’t have any stats in 3 minutes. He was a -1.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: The Lakers had a poor defensive third, giving up 41 points. Sometimes we don’t see Bryant in the mix in the second half. When AD sat with 8:30 left for Bryant the team was only up 4. Bryant stepped up and helped shut down the Pistons with a couple of blocks and battling on the boards. When AD sat, we were up 8. The game was in the balance there and Ham leaned on his backup big and got a good response tonight.

Key Substitution: We closed with Bev, Reaves and Schröder tonight. Russ on the bench. That OT close by Russ the other day was painful.

Key Stats: A strong 42% (11-26) from three tonight. Lakers also had ust 11 turnovers. That made for some efficiency on the road.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Just 11 TOs was excellent

LBJ's one-footed running 3pt shot was something one only see at pickup games

Maybe Pistons would be interested in a Bogdanovic for Nunn, Brown, Jones and 1st round draft pick trade - nah . . . . . . .
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Reaves with the dagger! We're back on track to .500! Let's goooooo!
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB! Didn't catch the first half. But, I was able to watch the second half. Glad they got the win. Not as convincing as I'd like. But, I'll take it.

Quick question for you, DB. Or, anyone who wants to answer. I would like to hear others observations. You mentioned the lack of aggression regarding Reaves. What do you attribute that inconsistent aggression to? Lack of touches/looks? Lack of confidence? Some of both? Thanks for any responses.

Lakers!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Thanks as always, DB! Didn't catch the first half. But, I was able to watch the second half. Glad they got the win. Not as convincing as I'd like. But, I'll take it.

Quick question for you, DB. Or, anyone who wants to answer. I would like to hear others observations. You mentioned the lack of aggression regarding Reaves. What do you attribute that inconsistent aggression to? Lack of touches/looks? Lack of confidence? Some of both? Thanks for any responses.

Lakers!
Having watched the game, it appeared that AR knew that his role in this game is to be ready since LBJ/AD/Westbrook had it going at various times since they are the Big Dogs/The Drivers of This Bus.

As DFish/Big Game James stated, AR is not worried about stats - just doing what is needed to get wins hence the reason why he is usually included in the closing lineup
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!
Having watched the game, it appeared that AR knew that his role in this game is to be ready since LBJ/AD/Westbrook had it going at various times since they are the Big Dogs/The Drivers of This Bus.

As DFish/Big Game James stated, AR is not worried about stats - just doing what is needed to get wins hence the reason why he is usually included in the closing lineup

Reaves has grown into D.Fish, so dependable
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject:

3-3 with 1 OT and 1 no AD but close game til the last 7 mins… glass half full!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!!!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Excellent write up and observations once again, good to see we were able to pull off a .500 road trip.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

Always need an AR (aka “Riverboat Gambler”) to a Caruso to a Meta World Peace to a Rick Fox to a Mychal Thompson on good to excellent teams

Presently 2-2.5 games away from being 6th in a crowded WC with the Pels in first place after a terrible start of the season and a 3-3 road trip

Westbrook is discovering ways to do P&Rs close to the basket that provides pocket passes to AD and LBR. Advantage is that Russ is involved with the alternative being LBJ handling the ball with Russ being at a list of what to do if he doesn’t have the ball - hence the opposition are rarely guarding him unless he is in the dunker position
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

Always need an AR (aka “Riverboat Gambler”) to a Caruso to a Meta World Peace to a Rick Fox to a Mychal Thompson on good to excellent teams

Presently 2-2.5 games away from being 6th in a crowded WC with the Pels in first place after a terrible start of the season and a 3-3 road trip

Westbrook is discovering ways to do P&Rs close to the basket that provides pocket passes to AD and LBR. Advantage is that Russ is involved with the alternative being LBJ handling the ball with Russ being at a list of what to do if he doesn’t have the ball - hence the opposition are rarely guarding him unless he is in the dunker position
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

that's a good comparison. Obviously different guys but Fish was like Linus's blanket. Thats how I feel about Reaves.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

I do think he's figuring it out. It feels to me like he's still shaking off some of last year's mentality of I'll be aggressive ONLY when I've got it going. Now, he's got more confidence in his ability to draw fouls or score when he's aggressive. So he doesn't need to rely as much on others. He can call his number more effectively. Impose himself more. He's more regularly getting into the paint, which are more consistently becoming layups, FTAs or those short jumpers of pivots.

Next level players, we know when they haven't had a shot in a while or if they haven't tried to get in the paint for a while. They know it, too. And if something isn't working, they don't back off. They just shift gears and start to drive if the shot isn't falling or impose themselves on other parts of the game. For Reaves, he settles in too much with letting the game come to him on a lot of nights. We've got room for another player to be more aggressive.

I don't feel like it's a lack of skill. He's a three level scorer and an excellent passer. It's just a matter of purposely trying to get to his spots more ... like once or twice a quarter. That sounds a little cliche, but there's a reason for it. When you know you do certain things very, very well and very efficiently (maybe it's a bank shot from the right side, or a pull-up fade in the lane, or drawing contact and whistles on certain actions), you need to have the mindset that it's best for my team when I do those particular things more often.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

that's a good comparison. Obviously different guys but Fish was like Linus's blanket. Thats how I feel about Reaves.

After last night's game, I had those 'DFish" comparisons in my head, too. Not that the games match in any way. It's just like, yeah, there's that guy again, just getting it done in a big situation.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Lakers!

After last night's game, I had those 'DFish" comparisons in my head, too. Not that the games match in any way. It's just like, yeah, there's that guy again, just getting it done in a big situation.

I love "there's that guy again..." guys.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:

That’s why I was so unhappy with just letting Caruso walk. Another of those guys who (more on the defensive end) just manages to get it done at critical times. Was the plus minus king in LA, did the same for Chicago last year, and guess who leads them this year? Would have loved to see those two together in crunch time lineups.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

One of the only games in which LeBron's lineups really won their minutes. The LFR pod had a good talk about net rating data last Friday, and it was pretty telling how much LeBron's impact has changed over the last few seasons.

AD essentially carries all of his lineups while LeBron often barely manages to stay afloat.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: