Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/01/06/dodgers-decision-part-ways-trevor-bauer/11004427002/


Great article! Very informative:

Quote:
Yet, even with the Dodgers willing to pay nearly all of his remaining $22.5 million salary, seeking almost anything in return, the silence was deafening.

No one wanted him.


At least they tried to trade him.

Quote:
They wound up paying Bauer $64.5 million for just 17 starts and 107.2 innings, where he went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA.


Wow, that’s alot of money

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers planned to cut ties with Trevor Bauer all along.

They never wanted to see him in a Dodger uniform again.

Still, they thought they owed him the courtesy of speaking to him directly.

Dodger executives flew to Phoenix on Thursday to meet privately with Bauer to decide if he deserved another chance, multiple high-ranking officials told USA TODAY Sports

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the private nature of the conversation.

The Dodgers owe Bauer $22.5 million this season anyway, so they decided it was worth finding out whether he deserved any consideration of remaining in the organization.

It was actually the first time the Dodgers had spoken to Bauer in the 18 months since he was placed on paid administrative leave on July 2, 2021.

Dodger officials declined to go into details of their conversation, but privately revealed that they didn’t hear any remorse, apologies or anything in the slightest from Bauer to change their mind.

They reconvened in Los Angeles, and decided Friday morning that Bauer would never again put on a Dodger uniform.


Somehow I don’t buy this part. Of all this time, 2 years after it happened, they waited until yesterday to fly out and talk to him so they can make their decision Friday?

This doesn’t pass my smell test at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 4747

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/01/06/dodgers-decision-part-ways-trevor-bauer/11004427002/


Great article! Very informative:

Quote:
Yet, even with the Dodgers willing to pay nearly all of his remaining $22.5 million salary, seeking almost anything in return, the silence was deafening.

No one wanted him.


At least they tried to trade him.

Quote:
They wound up paying Bauer $64.5 million for just 17 starts and 107.2 innings, where he went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA.


Wow, that’s alot of money

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers planned to cut ties with Trevor Bauer all along.

They never wanted to see him in a Dodger uniform again.

Still, they thought they owed him the courtesy of speaking to him directly.

Dodger executives flew to Phoenix on Thursday to meet privately with Bauer to decide if he deserved another chance, multiple high-ranking officials told USA TODAY Sports

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the private nature of the conversation.

The Dodgers owe Bauer $22.5 million this season anyway, so they decided it was worth finding out whether he deserved any consideration of remaining in the organization.

It was actually the first time the Dodgers had spoken to Bauer in the 18 months since he was placed on paid administrative leave on July 2, 2021.

Dodger officials declined to go into details of their conversation, but privately revealed that they didn’t hear any remorse, apologies or anything in the slightest from Bauer to change their mind.

They reconvened in Los Angeles, and decided Friday morning that Bauer would never again put on a Dodger uniform.


Somehow I don’t buy this part. Of all this time, 2 years after it happened, they waited until yesterday to fly out and talk to him so they can make their decision Friday?

This doesn’t pass my smell test at all.


I could buy it....remember the reports that were very recent of Dodgers that expressed sentiment of wanting Bauer back? Management may have been potentially swayed into being willing to listen and possibly be convinced because after all....this is $22.5M possibly going down the toilet. Otherwise why even have this meeting at all as both sides have now publically admitted this meeting happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject:

^ Well having the meeting so they can say they gave Bauer a chance.

But to wait until Thursday to fly out to talk to him when they’re making the decision on Friday?

I can’t buy the genuineness of that meeting.

I mean, we have phones now right? They’ve known about this for 2 years now, and they waited until yesterday to talk to him for the first time.

It’s been 2 weeks since the ruling and they couldn’t find time to meet him before Thursday?

What have they been doing for the last 2 weeks? Trying to trade him right? They couldn’t trade him and then on Thursday they’re like, let’s all hop on a flight to Phoenix ok?

Who leaked these details to Nightingale? I’m thinking the Dodgers. It does make them look like they gave Bauer some sort of due process.

But, something doesn’t smell genuine about that meeting to me.

Quote:
they didn’t hear any remorse, apologies or anything in the slightest from Bauer to change their mind.


This part right here sounds exactly like the Kyrie situation. The difference is, the Nets’ owner met with Kyrie early on. The Nets owner was more genuine in his dealings with Kyrie.

The Dodgers waited until the very last minute to find out if he was remorseful or not…

That’s some type pf procrastination.


Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 4747

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
^ Well having the meeting so they can say they gave Bauer a chance.

But to wait until Thursday to fly out to talk to him when they’re making the decision on Friday?

I can’t buy the genuineness of that meeting.

I mean, we have phones now right? They’ve known about this for 2 years now, and they waited until yesterday to talk to him for the first time.

It’s been 2 weeks since the ruling and they couldn’t find time to meet him before Thursday?

What have they been doing for the last 2 weeks? Trying to trade him right? They couldn’t trade him and then on Thursday they’re like, let’s all hop on a flight to Phoenix ok?

Who leaked these details to Nightingale? I’m thinking the Dodgers. It does make them look like they gave Bauer some sort of due process.

But, something doesn’t smell genuine about that meeting to me.

Quote:
they didn’t hear any remorse, apologies or anything in the slightest from Bauer to change their mind.


This part right here sounds exactly like the Kyrie situation. The difference is, the Nets’ owner met with Kyrie early on. The Dodgers waited until the very last minute to find out if he was remorseful or not…

That’s some type pf procrastination.


Everything u are saying makes sense and for practical purposes thats all this meeting was but lets say hypothetically Bauer was extremely remorseful and conveyed the sentiment that he would do anything to be back on the Dodgers. In that scenario (and it appears only under that kind of scenario, I think we would have taken him back)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Everything u are saying makes sense and for practical purposes thats all this meeting was but lets say hypothetically Bauer was extremely remorseful and conveyed the sentiment that he would do anything to be back on the Dodgers. In that scenario (and it appears only under that kind of scenario, I think we would have taken him back)


Somehow I really doubt it. I hope you’re right but I think that meeting was a sham.

I think it’s like the Rooney rule in the NFL when they interview minority coaches but they’ve already made up their mind on who they’ll hire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 17315
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I mean, we have phones now right? They’ve known about this for 2 years now, and they waited until yesterday to talk to him for the first time.


They legally couldn't talk to him until the ruling reinstating him, so it was 18 months of mandated radio silence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
I mean, we have phones now right? They’ve known about this for 2 years now, and they waited until yesterday to talk to him for the first time.


They legally couldn't talk to him until the ruling reinstating him, so it was 18 months of mandated radio silence.


Are you sure about this? He was put on paid administrative leave by MLB. I don't know if that means the Dodgers can't communicate with him at all.

I think it was a choice they made. For sure, MLB communicated with him in order to issue their suspension.

I know that when this whole story dropped, he was still with the team. They were planning on starting him. They didn't suspend him right away. They waited for mlb and the mlbpa to put him on administrative leave.

I don't know if this means they can't communicate with him anymore once he's on paid administrative leave though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 39001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject:

Sounds like PR talk. Dodgers management had their mind made up a while ago. Its when they realized that more fans would welcome him back then they assumed that they dragged this thing out hoping to avoid the inevitable backlash that they were going to field what looks like an uncompetitive roster compared to what the rest of their rivals were doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 28446

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
It is a bizarre situation.

I don't blame the Dodgers for not wanting to hitch their image to a guy like this, although it is frustrating that they have paid him millions for not pitching and now some other team will get him pitching for nothing and it will probably hurt us on the field.

But I get where the Dodgers are coming from, sometimes you need to take a stand.


I guess they are standing with people making false accusations against another, destroying their livelihood.

I mean, there used to be a time when bearing false witness against another was a despised thing... today, it is celebrated by a big name company like the Dodgers? smh
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32536
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It is a bizarre situation.

I don't blame the Dodgers for not wanting to hitch their image to a guy like this, although it is frustrating that they have paid him millions for not pitching and now some other team will get him pitching for nothing and it will probably hurt us on the field.

But I get where the Dodgers are coming from, sometimes you need to take a stand.


I guess they are standing with people making false accusations against another, destroying their livelihood.

I mean, there used to be a time when bearing false witness against another was a despised thing... today, it is celebrated by a big name company like the Dodgers? smh


We've been through this. Even if you believe him 100% that everything was consensual...he still beat her. He admits this. It's literally not even in dispute. In court, during the criminal proceeding, he did not say he never struck her. He simply said it was consensual. And look, I agree that there was not enough proof for the case to go to trial, and think the circumstances are shady. But he literally admits he hit her. So he's a d'bag. Takes a scum to be capable of doing that, even if she wanted him to. And when you consider that other women have accused him of this too, it gets a little harder to believe that he's just an innocent guy who has been set up, at least not every time. Again, I don't know for sure if he did anything of a criminal nature. What I do know is that he admitted to hitting this woman, striking her, choking her, etc. The Dodgers, rightfully so, don't want someone capable of that on the team. If I owned a restaurant and I found out that my general manager did that, I would terminate his employment, even if I had to pay him severance pay or something. I wouldn't want someone like that representing my restaurant or my business or my brand.

Bauer won't be signing with the Padres, by the way, as Bryce Miller (a sports columnist at the San Diego Union-Tribune) has reported that the club is not interested in him. Someone will probably end up signing him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's blackballed, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
In court, during the criminal proceeding....


A permanent protective order hearing is a part of family court, not criminal court. The DA didn't press charges against Bauer, so there were no criminal proceedings against him.

Quote:
Permanent Protective Orders and Family Court

https://www.moradisaslaw.com/california-orders-of-protection/


Quote:
Los Angeles criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos said last month that he thought it would be “awfully difficult to bring a criminal case when a Superior Court judge has already ruled on the lower civil standard that there isn’t enough to issue a permanent protective order.


ChickenStu wrote:
Even if you believe him 100% that everything was consensual...he still beat her. He admits this. It's literally not even in dispute. In court, during the criminal proceeding, he did not say he never struck her. He simply said it was consensual.

..........But he literally admits he hit her. So he's a d'bag. Takes a scum to be capable of doing that, even if she wanted him to.

..........What I do know is that he admitted to hitting this woman, striking her, choking her, etc.


Bauer never testified, so I'm not sure when he admitted to any of this (in court).



Quote:
"Bauer did not testify during the four-day restraining order hearing, held in Los Angeles Superior Court."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christianred/2022/02/08/trevor-bauers-criminal-case-concludes-with-no-charges-filed-against-him-mlb-investigation-still-open/?sh=508d35fa2bee


I'll give you this though. His attorney, through her closing arguments did admit to the choking. So, I'll give you that:

Quote:
During the hearings this week, his attorney acknowledged that he was violent and rendered the woman unconscious. His attorney Shawn Holley said in her closing argument that the woman wanted to be treated violently, and that's what Bauer did.

"He wraps her hair around her neck, she goes unconscious," Holley said in her closing argument Thursday, per Beyond the Box Score's Sheryl Ring.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/08/19/trevor-bauer-leave-extended-after-judge-dissolves-restraining-order
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32536
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject:

^
Yes he never actually testified, and I knew that, so when I said "Bauer", I guess I could have been more clear. But when your lawyer makes an argument on your behalf, I consider it to be his version and I don't think that is really in dispute. I suppose it wasn't his actual testimony on a witness stand, but it's semantics, really.

And yes it was not a criminal proceeding, my mistake. I had remembered it went to court, but yes, it was for a protective order.

He's a d'bag and a really terrible person. Glad he'll no longer be representing the Dodgers. Hopefully very soon, we can all move on and start discussing other things relating to the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I suppose it wasn't his actual testimony on a witness stand, but it's semantics, really.


Yeah, to me it's not semantics. We knew going into the hearing that Bauer and that woman were into kinky and rough sex which included choking.

Some people are into that stuff.

The whole point of the hearing was to determine where was the line drawn between kinky and rough sex vs. sexual + physical assault and if Bauer crossed that line.

She got to tell her story. She says she drew the line here and he crossed that line. Bauer never testified. All his attorney admitted to was that Bauer and that woman had kinky and rough sex, within the lines they both agreed to.

The judge agreed with Bauer and ruled that the line was somewhere further down (than where she claims) and that Bauer never crossed that line from kinky + rough sex into sexual + physical assault:

Quote:
Judgment:

“If she set limits and he exceeded them, this case would have been clear. But she set limits without considering all the consequences, and respondent did not exceed limits that the petitioner set.


So I think it's an extremely important distinction and not semantics at all.

Is kinky + rough sex wrong? Does that make a person a d'bag? Everyone has their own opinions on that. One thing we have to remember is that there is no actual bright line. Everyone draws the line at a different point. Some people draw the line at maybe slapping. Some people allow the line to get all the way to choking. Who's to say there should be the same line drawn for everyone?

And like I said, some people are into that sort of stuff. S&M and stuff. I honestly don't know where to draw the line if 2 consenting adults are into that stuff. But the real question is, should we judge Bauer based on where WE would draw the line, or should we judge Bauer based on where he and his partners drew the line? That's the real question. And I think most people who are against Bauer draw the line at the choking/passing out. They say, no, under no circumstances should there be choking/passing out in any sexual encounter. So it comes down to regulating other people's sexual activities to fit your own lines/limits.



And yes, it is disturbing that Bauer has had multiple women accuse him of sexual assault. I get that. Here's how I see it. 2 of those happened before he joined the Dodgers.

They had a chance to vet him out before they signed him. They were ok with those accusations.

So if they now released him because of those 2 accusations, that's on them. But I get it. I know it's a PR nightmare so that's why they did it.

But as far as Bauer and this SD woman, I'm not clear where the line was drawn between rough and kinky sex vs. sexual + physical assault.

I really feel this woman sought him out and tried to frame him. It's been so long and I don't remember the details, but according to her, he choked her and she passed out. Then he raped her and beat her. She woke up the next day all bruised and I think bleeding. She stormed out of the house, and drove to SD and went to the hospital. That's when supposedly, she got checked for a skull fracture and took all those pics with all the bruising.

But Bauer released a video of them the next morning with her smiling and no bruising on her face or on her lips. Where'd all that bruising come from?

Her story just smells so fishy to me. But like you said, we've all stated our positions on here numerous times and it's time to move on and discuss something else.

I agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
White Sox closer Liam Hendriks to start cancer treatment

CHICAGO -- White Sox closer Liam Hendriks announced Sunday that he has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and will begin treatment on Monday.

"Hearing the word "Cancer" came as a shock to my wife and I, as it does to millions of families each year. However, I am resolved to embrace the fight and overcome this new challenge with the same determination I have used when facing other obstacles in my life," he wrote in an Instagram post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
I mean, we have phones now right? They’ve known about this for 2 years now, and they waited until yesterday to talk to him for the first time.


They legally couldn't talk to him until the ruling reinstating him, so it was 18 months of mandated radio silence.


Looks like you're right:

Quote:
“While we were unable to communicate throughout the administrative leave and arbitration process, my representatives spoke to Dodgers leadership immediately following the arbitration decision,” Bauer said in the shared statement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
It is a bizarre situation.

I don't blame the Dodgers for not wanting to hitch their image to a guy like this, although it is frustrating that they have paid him millions for not pitching and now some other team will get him pitching for nothing and it will probably hurt us on the field.

But I get where the Dodgers are coming from, sometimes you need to take a stand.


Yeah, I don't think they're taking a stand at all. I really don't know what their opinion is of what Bauer did. I just know they don't want to take the PR hit.

It's like the kneeling issue in the NFL. I don't really know what the NFL's stance on that was. But people didn't like it and ratings were falling. The NFL wanted it gone, and they came up with a solution - no one comes out for the anthem, thus, no one can kneel. That took care of the problem. But, the NFL didn't really take a stand.


Yeah, if this article is true, then I think it shows that the Dodgers didn't really take a stand at all. This makes them sound very wishy washy:

Quote:
Dodgers Rumors: Front Office Considered Keeping Trevor Bauer Over Fear Of ‘Competitive Disadvantage’

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Dodgers used the entire timeline for their decision to part with Bauer over fears of him possibly going on to join another team:

Even when they released him, they delayed their decision practically to the last minute as they fretted over the potential competitive disadvantage, according to sources briefed on their thinking but not authorized to speak on the matter publicly.

Given his track record on the mound and the fact that he’s only entering his age-32 season, it isn’t out of the realm that Bauer will sign with another club in the coming weeks. However, that team would have to weigh the pros and cons of adding him — even if it comes at a discounted rate.

The San Diego Padres, a team that would benefit from adding a starting pitcher, reportedly do not have interest in signing Bauer.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-front-office-considered-keeping-trevor-bauer-over-fear-of-competitive-disadvantage/2023/01/09/


They didn't take a stand against domestic violence.

Their decision was based on fear:

1) Fear of a PR hit vs.
2) Fear of another contender signing him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32536
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/09/carlos-correa-opens-serious-talks-with-twins-in-mets-concern/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 39001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
https://nypost.com/2023/01/09/carlos-correa-opens-serious-talks-with-twins-in-mets-concern/


Any team would be fools to sign him to a 10+ year contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

Source confirms: Free-agent right-hander Johnny Cueto in agreement with Marlins, one year with a club option for 2024. Including buyout, deal is for $8.5M guaranteed.

First:
@JonHeyman



Quote:
Jack Ramsey
@jackwramsey

On MLB Network this morning, Jon Morosi said he believes there is an equal chance for both the Mets and Twins to land Carlos Correa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11272

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jack Ramsey
@jackwramsey

On MLB Network this morning, Jon Morosi said he believes there is an equal chance for both the Mets and Twins to land Carlos Correa.


Schrodinger's Shortstop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Quote:
Jack Ramsey
@jackwramsey

On MLB Network this morning, Jon Morosi said he believes there is an equal chance for both the Mets and Twins to land Carlos Correa.


Schrodinger's Shortstop.


I'm going to guess this reference goes over everyone's heads. Some kind of math equation?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16395

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
John Coppolella Has Lifetime Ban Lifted By MLB

John Coppolella has been reinstated by Major League Baseball, more than five years after he was given a lifetime ban by Rob Manfred.

Coppolella, 44, was kicked out of baseball in the fall of 2017 after it was determined that he had violated rules related to the signings of international players as general manager of the Atlanta Braves.

After Coppolella applied for reinstatement, MLB officials determined that he had substantively endeavored to improve himself, according to sources.

Alex Anthopoulos was hired to run the Braves after Coppolella departed.


I remember this. I thought it was a death sentence for Atlanta but they rebounded very well with the Anthopoulos signing. Their future is extremely bright with 1 title already in their pocket.

I guess a lifetime ban isn't a lifetime ban afterall.

Wonder what happened with Friedman? I remember we (or Friedman) were accused of doing the same things that Coppolella and the Braves were doing. I remember we were facing heavy sanctions as well and then it just all went away.

Found this article back in Jan 2019:

Quote:
Breaking: Los Angeles Dodgers to face international free agency violations

The future of the Los Angeles Dodgers may be going from a sunny California afternoon to the darkest of clouds over the City of Angels.


According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, the Dodgers have violated international free agency rules and could be facing a similar punishment that was handed to the Atlanta Braves in November 2017. The Braves’ penalties included forfeiting 13 of their international prospects while former general manager John Coppolella was banned for baseball for life. In addition, the Braves were “prohibited from signing any international player for more than $10,000 during the 2019-20 signing period. Also, the team’s international signing bonus pool for the 2020-21 signing period will be reduced by 50 percent.”

This could be an extraordinary blow to a farm system that Bleacher Report ranks as the eighth best in MLB. It’s unknown how far back the investigation stems from but it’s notable that Keibert Ruiz, Dennis Santana, Yadier Alvarez, Diego Cartaya, Edwin Uceta, Cristian Santana, Starling Heredia, Robinson Ortiz and Omar Estevez – all featured on MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Prospect List – were international free agent signees at one point.

Another subplot to watch could be Gabe Kapler‘s potential involvement: the current Philadelphia Phillies manager was the Dodgers’ Director of Player Development from 2014 until he accepted the managerial role on October 2017.

More on this story as it develops.

https://bronxtobushville.wordpress.com/2019/01/19/breaking-los-angeles-dodgers-to-face-international-free-agency-violations/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 54367

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

The Saga continues. “Pending physical” doing a lot of work here.

Quote:
BREAKING: Shortstop Carlos Correa and the Minnesota Twins are finalizing a six-year, $200 million contract, sources tell ESPN. The deal has a vesting option that can max out at $270 million. It is pending physical.

_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 17315
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject:

So glad the Dodgers didn’t get involved with this guy. Maybe the FO knows what they’re doing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 1965

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
So glad the Dodgers didn’t get involved with this guy. Maybe the FO knows what they’re doing?


Just glad this bum will stay in the AL and not NYM or SD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 3 of 314
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB