Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject:

ESPN: MLB Opening Day 2023: Highlights, takeaways, and best moments:

Quote:
Dodgers:

I don't think the Dodgers exactly need added incentive for 2023 -- they've been too successful to need some sort of psychological boost -- but given all the predictions that the Dodgers' neighbors to the south are more likely to head to the World Series, well ... let's admit it has to be a little weird even for them to see the Dodgers viewed as the underdogs in the NL West. It's understandable -- the five though nine batters of the Opening Day lineup -- are basically all new, including rookies Miguel Vargas and James Outman, but it didn't stop them on Thursday. The Dodgers beat a good pitcher in Zac Gallen and got six hits, three walks and five runs from those bottom four hitters, with Outman hitting a two-run homer and scoring three runs. Don't dismiss that this may end up -- once again -- as one of the best lineups in the majors. -- David Schoenfield

Quote:
Alden González
@Alden_Gonzalez

Yesterday, Manny Machado mentioned that the fans in San Diego have booed previously during tough stretches and called it "a blessing" because it shows they care.

They're booing now.

Back-to-back homers -- the first by CJ Cron, his second -- and Colorado leads 7-2 in the 7th.

Quote:
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

Shohei Ohtani is through four scoreless and is using PitchCom tonight to call his own game. The amazing part: He has it under his left jersey sleeve. So how does he call the pitches without seeing the keypad? This Tim Keown story has a great detail:

Ohtani's use of PitchCom is different -- because he can't see the numbers, he had to memorize the keypad to make it work.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject:

Dodgers win and Giants and Padres lose.

Great opening day!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject:

Jaime Jarrín's opinion on Julio Urias' pending free agency:

Quote:
Urías is the heir to the Valenzuela legacy, the torch bearer for a fan base that is majority Latino, in a city that is majority Latino.

“The closest thing to Fernando is Julio Urías,” said Jaime Jarrín, the Dodgers’ recently retired Hall of Fame broadcaster. “No question about it.”

What if Urías left the Dodgers?

“The reaction of the community would be negative, really, because they love him,” Jarrín said. “It would be bad if he leaves the Dodgers.”

Bad for who?

“For the team,” Jarrín said. “For the community. For him, no, because even though I am sure he loves the Dodgers, business is business.

Andrew Friedman's opinion on Julio Urias' pending free agency:

Quote:
“In the free agent world, the Dodgers have not been as aggressive as other teams with the players I have represented,” Boras said, citing Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rendon and Stephen Strasburg as examples.

And, of course, the Dodgers did not make the high bid to retain Corey Seager or Max Scherzer.

“They seemed to have ready replacements at shortstop and with their pitching staff when they made those decisions,” Boras said. “When a team looks at this and says they’ve got qualified replacements, it’s not unusual for a team not to be that assertive in the free agent market.”

Scott Boras' opinion on Julio Urias' pending free agency:

Quote:
There is no such thing as a “must sign” player here. There is a “would love to sign” category, and that is where Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman puts Urías.

“Julio has been a big part of our past success, and we look forward to him being a big part of what we accomplish this year as well,” Friedman said Thursday. “Obviously, we are all focused on 2023 right now, but our hope is that Julio is wearing Dodger blue for many years to come.”

Urias, about opening day yesterday:

Quote:
“It’s an unforgettable experience,” Urías said after the game, “something like that with a team like this, the history that the team has, and all the people that have done this before. It was just something that was really special to me, and obviously being able to send the fans home with the victory is a blessing.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2023-03-31/julio-urias-dodgers-scott-boras-free-agency
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject:

Horrific start for Muncy. He struck out five times.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bill Shaikin
@BillShaikin

"The closest thing to Fernando is Julio Urías."

Could a team in a city that is half Latino really lose its Mexican-born star? Could his first Opening Day start for the Dodgers also have been his last?

Yeah, Bill Shaikin keeps driving home this point, as in the article posted above. 1/2 of our fanbase is Latino and Urias is Mexican-born.

How much of this will sway our decision? I don't think we've even tried to get him to sign an extension yet.

All signs to me point to him leaving like Seager and Trea Turner.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the Dodgers would like to re-sign Urias but the problem is his agent is Scott Boras....
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I'm sure the Dodgers would like to re-sign Urias but the problem is his agent is Scott Boras....

Bryce Harper, RF, PHI is his client and we went after Harper.

J. D. Martinez, DH, LAD is his client and we got him.

Juan Soto, RF, SD is his client and we have dreams of signing him.

Miguel Vargas, IF, LAD is his client so we'll have to deal with him in the future.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Bryce Harper, RF, PHI is his client and we went after Harper.

J. D. Martinez, DH, LAD is his client and we got him.

Juan Soto, RF, SD is his client and we have dreams of signing him.

Miguel Vargas, IF, LAD is his client so we'll have to deal with him in the future.

Yeah. Boras ultimately works for his clients. If Julio wants to stay here, he'll sign a deal. This isn't unprecedented with other big names of his either.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully May has good control with only a few or no walks
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Nice inning by May
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Has Betts ever began a season with the Dodgers hot?

I know he started cold in 2020.

I'm pretty sure he started cold last yr in 2022.

I think he started cold in 2021 since that's the yr he was injured.

This yr might be the same way.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject:

So is Joe Davis taking all these games off already
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Cmon May no walks
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject:

So far so good for our starting pitching.

Urias yesterday, May today.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Preseason NL West Champs are trailing again:

COL: 4
SD: 0
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Kelly gone already
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Vesia in to face righties:

Quote:
Ahmed
Longoria
Lewis
Marte
Gurriel

Interesting spot to bring in one of your only 2 lefties in the BP.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject:

So the stadium experience was great. They do a different lighting effect on homers (saw that on the Betts shot), and also when they honor the military hero of the game. The pace of play is truly a big difference. There's just very little downtime now, you have to be careful with how look at your phone or you might miss a pitch, and if you go to the concessions or use the restroom, you might miss more of the action than you would have in previous years.

The loss sucks but whatever, there are 160 more to go. Tomorrow we see the lineup vs. a lefty (Bumgarner). I'm guessing Taylor starts in LF and that Thompson starts in CF, with Barnes catching Kershaw and Smith getting the day off.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject:

1) Gavin Stone got rocked in his first start at OKC:

Quote:
2.2ip
5 H
6 ER
3 BB
3 SO
1 HR

2) Michael Busch played 2B
3-5, 1 RBI

3) Luke Williams played SS. Guess he might be our backup plan at SS. Yonny Fernandez played 3B.
2-5, 1 HR, 3 RBI

4) Steven Duggar, 0-4, 3 K

5) Hunter Feduccia, 1-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Looks like he's our 3rd catcher should Barnes or Smith go down.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/rainiers-vs-dodgers/2023/03/31/721807#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=721807
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers' Bobby Miller: Dealing with shoulder soreness

Miller will be sidelined to start the minor-league season due to mild shoulder soreness, MLB.com reports.

Miller is in line to make his MLB debut this season if he can pitch well at Triple-A and stay healthy, but he's already dealing with a shoulder issue to start the season. After a dominant spring training on the heels of a spectacular 2022 season, Gavin Stone is looking like the more likely premium Dodgers pitching prospect to join the big-league rotation this summer.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject:

Bellinger:

Quote:
0-4, 2 K today
0-3, 1 BB, 1 K in game 1

0-7, 3 K, 1 BB so far in 6 PA

He's batting cleanup for them. I wonder how long is his leash? Boras seems to blame us for his woes. Let's see if the Cubs can fix it.

QFTOS: Cubs

Quote:
Kinda easy to buy into optimistic narratives on every player in the offseason, but the reality setting in that 2023 Bellinger is our clean up hitter isn’t awesome.

We’ll see how it shakes out, but there could be a lot of games like this, still don’t have enough firepower in the lineup

Quote:
We could use a clean up hitter that actually hits the ball.

Quote:
Bellinger is washed. There are six auto-outs in the lineup at present. Ross is (still) a terrible manager.

Quote:
Bellinger really couldn’t be off to a much worse start.

Quote:
Bellinger is definitely underwhelming to say the least.

Quote:
(bleep) cody, man

Quote:
I think by mid June Bellinger will have his average up to .240 and 7 home runs. He's the type of guy who just needs to get the feel for things.

Quote:
Cubs are going to lose a lot of low scoring games. Bellinger was a complete waste of money.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

We actually need a lot from JD this year because our lineup Vs lefties looks like hot poo.

Vargas and JD is our only hope. I can’t trust CT, Trayce, Max, Barnes, Rojas Vs lefties. Those feel like auto outs so yeah we need our top 3 to be strong this year Vs lefties.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
We actually need a lot from JD this year because our lineup Vs lefties looks like hot poo.

Vargas and JD is our only hope. I can’t trust CT, Trayce, Max, Barnes, Rojas Vs lefties. Those feel like auto outs so yeah we need our top 3 to be strong this year Vs lefties.

That's why we paid him $10M. He had this slash line vs. lefties last year:

Quote:
.319 avg
.401 obp
.597 slg
.998 ops

And this was Justin Turner's:

Quote:
.275 avg
.345 obp
.389 slg
.734 ops
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject:

@ LBP - What was the rationale Boras had for blaming the Dodgers for Bellinger falling off a cliff?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject:

^

Yeah, re-reading the articles again, seems like it's Bellinger who blames the Dodgers for something. There seems to be some kind of bad feelings or awkwardness. I have a feeling he blames them for not sticking with him (especially benching him in the playoffs). He calls being with the Cubs "refreshing," as if it wasn't with us.

And as for Boras, he only blames the Dodgers for not re-signing him. I mis-remembered.

Quote:
‘I’ll always root for Cody’: For Dodgers and Cody Bellinger, it’s still an awkward exit

Watching Cody Bellinger stand in the batter’s box on Friday, one couldn’t help but gawk at how odd it all felt.

Not the stance, that same familiar upright stance. The same setup that was tinkered with and changed and overhauled enough times to compel both of the Dodgers’ hitting coaches to hold a media availability and tell reporters it was “his swing, his career.”

This, mind you, came in spring training.

Bellinger still stands like a pencil, completely upright. His bat waggle is tempered some but still unmistakable Friday as he pointed the barrel back toward the visiting dugout — and toward his former club — in his first time facing the Dodgers since being non-tendered this winter.

It’s not that the uniform number is different (he switched from No. 35 to No. 24), or the shade of blue has changed now that the 2019 National League MVP is wearing a Cubs uniform. It isn’t even that he changed his phone number, the new one which Dodgers manager Dave Roberts stopped by to get on Friday afternoon.

The oddity came after a Dodgers career that burned so bright until it didn’t.

Among hitters with at least 900 plate appearances over his last two seasons as a Dodger, no one performed worse than Bellinger’s .611 OPS. He watched most of the last game he’d ever play for the club from the dugout. Once an integral part of the organization’s plans, he was benched in Game 5 of the National League Division Series with the Dodgers’ title aspirations in the balance. Hours before the first pitch that night, Roberts was asked about what broke over those last few years, after Bellinger’s shoulder surgery, after the broken leg — and after Roberts vouched for his guy through it all.
Roberts sighed, then paused.

Quote:
“It’s difficult,” he finally said. “There’s no exact science to it. I think I’ve shown that I’ve supported him. I’ve given him a lot of leash because he’s earned it, and also I believe in the player, the talent, the person.” He thought again. “(It’s) difficult at times.”

But Bellinger’s departure was jarring, no matter how loud that decision felt. The Dodgers, despite their outfield uncertainty, opted to non-tender Bellinger with a year of club control remaining rather than pay what would’ve likely been more than $18 million in arbitration, essentially surrendering their hopes they could finally restore him to his former All-Star form. His deal with the Cubs this December netted him a $17.5 million guarantee.

The Cubs saw a chance to give Bellinger a new start, with club officials optimistic about reuniting the Gold Glove winner and Silver Slugger with familiar faces in Dustin Kelly and Johnny Washington, two former Dodgers staffers.

The Dodgers saw a similar formula in a former Cub — Jason Heyward, who the Cubs are still paying after announcing last August they’d release him before the final year of his eight-year, $184 million contract.

Friday marked something of an awkward reunion. Bellinger was in the lineup for his new club, facing the Dodgers as an opponent for the first time. He walked and drove home a pair of runs with a triple. Heyward was in there, too, playing at Sloan Park for the first time since being unceremoniously cut and collecting a pair of hits.

As Bellinger exchanged hellos with his former Dodgers teammates, Heyward did the same with the few remaining members of a once-great era of Cubs history. When Heyward came up for his first at-bat as a visitor, the crowd of 16,157 issued a warm welcome.

Bellinger has yet to receive his ovation from Dodgers fans, having not been part of either Cubs lineup dispatched to Camelback Ranch this spring for Cactus League play.

Bellinger hasn’t spent much time wanting to address his departure, either. The 27-year-old was no longer at the Cubs’ facility when reporters sought to talk to him Friday. He declined to comment through an official when a Los Angeles-based reporter, Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times, went to Sloan Park last month. His comments this spring have centered on moving forward, not looking back — even if the brilliant parts of his past are the reason why he had such a robust free-agent market this winter.

Quote:
Being freed from the burden of expectations, Bellinger told reporters this spring, has been pretty refreshing.”

That was the Dodgers’ hope, too — that if he did leave, he’d be able to make the most of a fresh start. But it’s still bittersweet.

Quote:
“I wish we could have done more to support him and get some more consistency for him,” Roberts said Friday. “But our hope is that the change of scenery will kind of tap into something that’s already in there that we know. I’ll always root for Cody.”

What more could the Dodgers have done? Even with their strong track record of maximizing players, they never seemed to find that spot with Bellinger — not after the damage to his shoulder and subsequently to his leg seemingly threw his swing permanently off-kilter.

Quote:
“As a coach, you want to feel like you do everything you can,” Roberts said. “I think we did. Obviously, some of it has to do with the player, and Cody would be the first to tell you that. But also, as far as an organization, you always want to do the most you can for a player.
“Sometimes you just don’t have any answers. It’s not an indictment on anyone.”

https://theathletic.com/4321676/2023/03/17/dodgers-mlb-cody-bellinger-cubs/

Quote:
Dodgers-Cody Bellinger relationship really seems like it didn't end well

Los Angeles Dodgers fans already got the first indicator that things between the team and Cody Bellinger seemingly weren't good when the Chicago Cubs slugger wasn't present for his team's Spring Training game at Camelback Ranch. He also avoided the media in what was an obvious ploy to put his relationship with his former team in the past.

We'll leave all of that there for you to decide how things ended between the two parties. With Bellinger opting against playing at Camelback Ranch, and then Roberts seemingly having a difficult time answering any Bellinger-related questions, it's fairly evident that this topic of still raw.

Bellinger's agent, Scott Boras, instead spoke to reporters and pretty much called out the Dodgers for non-tendering his client, despite the fact it was a totally reasonable decision. Belli was slated to make over $18 million in his final year of arbitration eligibility, but accumulated just 1.2 WAR since the start of the 2020 season.

https://dodgersway.com/posts/dodgers-cody-bellinger-relationship-end-well-roberts-comments-01gw03ee2cmx

Quote:
Dodgers News: Agent Scott Boras Says LA Misjudged the Market for Cody Bellinger

According to Jorge Castillo in the Los Angeles Times, Bellinger’s agent, the notorious Scott Boras, never expected the Dodgers to non-tender Belli.

Quote:
“The truth of it is until he was non-tendered, I really did not really have a lot of conversations with the Dodgers because I felt it was rather a matter of fact that he would continue with them because they had rights over him,” Scott Boras, Bellinger’s agent, said last week. “I had no idea that they would non-tender him.”

Once the Los Angeles front office made the decision to make Bellinger a free agent, Boras says they were quickly priced out of a market they had misjudged.

Boras said 11 teams contacted him regarding Bellinger the day he was let go. Bellinger eventually agreed on a one-year contract worth $17.5 million guaranteed with the Cubs during the winter meetings. …

Quote:
“The marketplace was very different as to what the Dodgers thought Cody’s value was,” Boras said.

https://dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-agent-scott-boras-says-la-misjudged-the-market-for-cody-bellinger/2023/03/02/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 28 of 314
Jump to: