A 4-Team Trade Where Lakers, Suns, Wolves, Hornets All Win

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: A 4-Team Trade Where Lakers, Suns, Wolves, Hornets All Win

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport A 4-Team Trade Where Lakers, Suns, Wolves, Hornets All Win -- more of a speculative concept, tying together various rumors into something fun
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10063421-a-4-team-trade-where-lakers-suns-wolves-hornets-all-win

Cheers,

EP
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject:

The biggest why would be Charlotte for me. I think they value Scary Terry. And I’m not sure Russ and LaMelo would be a good mix.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
The biggest why would be Charlotte for me. I think they value Scary Terry. And I’m not sure Russ and LaMelo would be a good mix.

russ is the face of jordan brand or one of.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject:

always hard to get four teams to agree on a trade

CP3 has a short window, maybe 1 or 2 years (where his competitiveness and passing prowess is top notch - which maybe ok for LBJ. If CP3 gets injured, the bench depth will be in dire need. Westbrook's pace that has triggered the growth of several of the young players would be hard to replace in mid-season. With Schroeder not displaying the top-notched shooting performances needed from him - he's a good player - Lakers didn't move the needle a great deal.

Will the Suns trade CP3 before trade deadline, questionable and why, since they already have a backup PG ready to be a starter

Russ and LeMele would be a terrible fit since they both need the ball

TWolves get Rozier, will that make the Gobert/Ktown-based roster be a legitimate title-contending team, not really.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject:

Hi Eric - is this trade just a concept or does it have any legs?
Seems like this is the only place I have read about the Lakers having any interest in Paul.
Chewrockan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject:

Assuming the Lakers have to sweeten the deal with picks and/or Reeves/Christie, it seems like it would a major gamble on Paul's health which he's shown isn't a sustainable bet.

If you're gonna go all in, this would be the way to go I think. But it'd be a major gamble where everything would have to line up just right.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Seems like this is the only place I have read about the Lakers having any interest in Paul.

This was more speculative, connecting the dots - the premises are sound, the conclusions are more me playing with a notion
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
This was more speculative, connecting the dots - the premises are sound, the conclusions are more me playing with a notion
Depends on whether the Lakers is "All-In" on this year, CP3 is serious about looking to the future, the Suns' ownership changes and whether the Suns/Lakers are willing to trade with somebody inside the Western Conference.

Seems as if the answers to all the above-listed questions is no
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject:

heavy tailed risk factors for the value

I wouldn't do ist if we're losing more than a 1st
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
emplay wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Depends on whether the Lakers is "All-In" on this year, CP3 is serious about looking to the future, the Suns' ownership changes and whether the Suns/Lakers are willing to trade with somebody inside the Western Conference.

--- That's your conclusion - I'm not sure it matches the situation, however. Obviously any deal, likelihood is slim. The "won't trade within conference" myth is more fan-generated than reality. Teams trade within conference all the time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
emplay wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

--- That's your conclusion - I'm not sure it matches the situation, however. Obviously any deal, likelihood is slim. The "won't trade within conference" myth is more fan-generated than reality. Teams trade within conference all the time.

I agree that I think a lot of this has sound logic behind it. I really think the Suns are going to do something; the energy around that team has just been off since the playoffs last season with the dust-up between Ayton and Monty Williams, and now this year you've had Crowder go AWOL. Regardless of whether or not the Lakers should pursue CP3, it's a virtual certainty that they would if he were available. I thought Minnesota would be willing to entertain dealing Russell too, since he doesn't seem especially likely to re-sign, but they've started to play well, which I hadn't noticed until tonight, really. They have a top-3 record in the NBA over their past 14 or 15, something like that. Maybe they won't want to deal Russell right now, and he's playing well. I think Toronto and the Suns could match up on swapping OG for Ayton, not straight-up, of course. We also know that Toronto could be a team to do something drastic. So how about this...

Lakers get CP3, Trent Jr., Boucher, and Birch. Both the '27 and '29 FRP go out, either both to Toronto or one to the Suns and one to Toronto.

Suns get FVV, OG, Young, and Beverley. They net no FRP gained or lost, but maybe they'd send a FRP to Toronto while keeping one of the Laker ones.

Raptors get Ayton, Westbrook, Gabriel, and Damian Jones. They net two FRP here, either both from the Lakers or one from the Lakers and one from the Suns.

The Lakers go all-in and think these players can give them a shot in the playoffs in the West, with the thinking being that 3 of them can be key contributors through 2024-25, assuming Trent is re-signed.

The Suns make a big swing here too, changing up their team dynamic while getting rid of CP3 for FVV and while they do lose a center in Ayton (which I'm assuming they could address in a separate deal, perhaps involving Crowder), their wing depth would be pretty extraordinary with Bridges/OG/Johnson. Young and Beverley are also useful vets to have around and are virtual expirings (with Young's modest $1MM guarantee next season). And they do this without surrendering a FRP (net, anyway).

The Raptors go for the re-tooling move of trading their starting backcourt and OG but get 2 FRP out of it plus Ayton. This gives them an interesting frontcourt of Barnes/Siakam/Ayton, though Ujiri will have to rebuild the backcourt. Still, he'd have picks and cap space this summer now, as they shed not only FVV/GTJ/OG but long-term money from Boucher and Birch too, while taking back Jones' much smaller # for next season compared to Birch. They also get a free look at Gabriel for the rest of this season, who should fit their mold of toolsy, lengthy, athletic clay.

This deal is close to financially neutral for all 3 sides, with Toronto importantly staying under the luxury tax. I will also note that the framework is still pretty much there if the Suns wanted to keep CP3 and if the Lakers took FVV instead; you'd just have to move a couple of contracts around to make the money work, and there are several versions I just tried that would work financially that keep it close to salary neutral for all sides and which keeps Toronto under the luxury tax line, a must.

OK, so who doesn't do it, and why?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Take out Ayton from all that
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Latest @BleacherReport 5 Potential NBA Buyout Candidates After Feb. 9 Trade Deadline https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10064213-5-potential-nba-buyout-candidates-after-feb-9-trade-deadline
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Also:

Latest @SportsBizClass podcast ( with @SethPartnow ) How NBA Teams Approach the Trade Deadline https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/sbc-ep76/
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

If I'm losing a pick, I'd rather take my chances on Paul than Conley.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: