RUI HACHIMURA (3yr, $51M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

I think it's an overpay based on the market but if Rui keeps improving he can definitely be worth it
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject:

Give him more minutes. Lebron shouldn’t be playing more than 30 a night in the regular season at this point.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Give him more minutes. Lebron shouldn’t be playing more than 30 a night in the regular season at this point.

I really hope that that is the plan. We don’t need to see LeBron James gassing out in the playoffs. Some of these young bucks. I’m gonna have to step up and take these minutes.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

I really hope that that is the plan. We don’t need to see LeBron James gassing out in the playoffs. Some of these young bucks. I’m gonna have to step up and take these minutes.

I think that is definitely the plan.

Rui should be getting a solid 28-30 mpg

LBJ needs to get down to 30 mpg
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need to involve Rui in their offense more instead of just letting him stand at the 3-point line waiting for a kickout pass. They were guilty of that often in the regular season, but they improved in that area in the playoffs.

Still, great deal for Rui. Hopefully he improves his 3-point shooting, because that's still a somewhat weak area for us even after all these signings.

I feel like he could be one of those players who consistently steps up his game in the playoffs, a la James Worthy.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject:

If he improves his 3 point shooting he's a very exciting prospect
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Good to see Rui back. Now I hope he picks up where he left off last season and continues to improve, and plays aggressive this coming season.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Silly Post and the comments are fab. Good job on the comments (I'm sure some of y'all are in here lol)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuYFmXkvXc5/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Expecting a breakout year from Rui
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject:

In 21 career playoff games he is shooting about 52% from 3. Lol
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Rui in da House!

Rui Hachimura pumped the crowd up and then threw his first pitch right down the middle at Dodger Stadium tonight

https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/1677846838911832064

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers @Dodgers

Black Samurai.

Welcome to Dodger Stadium,
@rui_8mura

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1677844609131749377

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers @Lakers

Getting ready, feeling good.

@rui_8mura
x
@Dodgers

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1677839620053307393

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1677869472458350592

Last edited by pio2u on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I don’t get why some of you call 3 year, 51 million is an overpay.
Have you seen the market and what some players are getting?
This is a bargain.
At least this dude produces.
Do you not remember Moz and Deng? Those contracts were basically more and those dudes sucked.

Stop the overpay talk. I think we got him for a good price.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:21 am    Post subject:

I expect Rui to reach career highs in minutes played, PPG and TS%
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject:

Time to get this dude’s jersey. How’s the special edition? City edition look? White road? I always end up getting the original version, either purple or yellow lol
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
This is a bargain.
Do you not remember Moz and Deng? Those contracts were basically more and those dudes sucked.

I agree…Rui’s cap hold was 18m…he was signed for less than what the caphold was for him. Many of us projected a discount in the 13m range and he got more than that, but it wasn’t an over pay over all. Cap hit this year in the 15m range seems like a good price, compromising between the hoped for discount (13m) and projected cap hit (18m).

Stop the overpay narrative, it was a good price, for Rui and the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

That’s not really expecting much
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
This is a bargain.

I agree…Rui’s cap hold was 18m…he was signed for less than what the caphold was for him. Many of us projected a discount in the 13m range and he got more than that, but it wasn’t an over pay over all. Cap hit this year in the 15m range seems like a good price, compromising between the hoped for discount (13m) and projected cap hit (18m).

Stop the overpay narrative, it was a good price, for Rui and the Lakers.

I missed his annual salary by $2mil. I guessed $15. He got $17. I'm no expert, but I did look over the landscape of other salaries, and the new CBA, and I sensed where he was going to land.

The people who are calling it an overpay, which it's not, are looking at what we spent for Rui, not what the market pays for a 6'8, 7'2 wingspan, physically gifted player who has, I might add, one of the best mid-range jumpers in the game.

It's the going rate for a guy in his position. Two or three years from now, the same type of player, in a similar position, will be commanding $20mil a year. Watch!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Are you saying that expecting him to have the best year of his career is a low bar?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Are you saying that expecting him to have the best year of his career is a low bar?

He was getting 22-23 mpg the past 3 years, with the health of Lebron and AD he probably at least gets into the high 20’s. His PPG should increase as a result but not necessarily his TS%. It isn’t a bad thing but it is an easily achievable goal.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

He was getting 22-23 mpg the past 3 years, with the health of Lebron and AD he probably at least gets into the high 20’s. His PPG should increase as a result but not necessarily his TS%. It isn’t a bad thing but it is an easily achievable goal.

I bet the Clippers would take him on their team, don’t you think?

He wouldn’t be the first player to escape an awful basketball situation and flourish. Lakers were lucky to get him while he was still on his rookie contract.

I guess we’ll put you in the Washington Wizards camp of giving the guy away for nothing while overpaying Poole and Kyle Kuzma.

Sounds about right.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
This is a bargain.

Good would have been a bit lower
I think this deal is fair to both sides
Could be a slight overpay if he doesn’t take a leap with more minutes
But could be a a bargain if he does …
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There were some split opinions on Rui Hachimura and Russell, which was expected considering their pasts in the league. With Hachimura, some executives wondered whom the Lakers were bidding against in free agency when they gave him an average of $17 million per year over the next three seasons. Maybe a better deal could’ve been had.

Still, supporters of the decision pointed to two key factors. First, Hachimura answered one of the big questions about him — how he’d perform under an intense spotlight — in a wonderful postseason run when he was one of the team’s most reliable shooters. Second, he showed consistent toughness and fight — for example, his willingness to defend center Nikola Jokic — that made some people around the NBA think the Lakers possibly unlocked something in him.

Sums it up pretty well. Seeing how the math plays out, it's just a little unfortunate that if we got as good a deal with Rui as we did with DLO & AR, we might end up keeping the entire roster and just getting in under the luxury tax. The Lakers were clearly worried someone would offer Rui >$20M which I just find bizarre -- LG is overrating Rui big time IMO on the assumption that he's going to keep up his ridiculous shooting performance in the playoffs as his norm. But it seems like the Lakers' FO felt the same way. I think Rui can grow into his contract (or outplay it) so I'm not upset per se, but I don't think that changes the high likelihood that the Lakers overpaid given the market for him. And that might mean the difference between keeping Vando or losing him (and he might be a key piece against a lot of WC teams). Hopefully the Lakers just eat the repeater tax.

Also, the astronomically high expectations on Rui gets me concerned about a potential backlash.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject:

Dodger #8 Black Samurai is so 🔥 fire! Do they sell it in dodger stadium?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:
There were some split opinions on Rui Hachimura and Russell, which was expected considering their pasts in the league. With Hachimura, some executives wondered whom the Lakers were bidding against in free agency when they gave him an average of $17 million per year over the next three seasons. Maybe a better deal could’ve been had.

Still, supporters of the decision pointed to two key factors. First, Hachimura answered one of the big questions about him — how he’d perform under an intense spotlight — in a wonderful postseason run when he was one of the team’s most reliable shooters. Second, he showed consistent toughness and fight — for example, his willingness to defend center Nikola Jokic — that made some people around the NBA think the Lakers possibly unlocked something in him.

Sums it up pretty well. Seeing how the math plays out, it's just a little unfortunate that if we got as good a deal with Rui as we did with DLO & AR, we might end up keeping the entire roster and just getting in under the luxury tax. The Lakers were clearly worried someone would offer Rui >$20M which I just find bizarre -- LG is overrating Rui big time IMO on the assumption that he's going to keep up his ridiculous shooting performance in the playoffs as his norm. But it seems like the Lakers' FO felt the same way. I think Rui can grow into his contract (or outplay it) so I'm not upset per se, but I don't think that changes the high likelihood that the Lakers overpaid given the market for him. And that might mean the difference between keeping Vando or losing him (and he might be a key piece against a lot of WC teams). Hopefully the Lakers just eat the repeater tax.

Also, the astronomically high expectations on Rui gets me concerned about a potential backlash.

Maybe it was a bit of an overpay. Ok, but a bit of context will help explain it. Just two or three years ago, we had a group of diminutive guards, LeBron's clock ticking, notions out there that no one wanted to come play w/LeBron.

We had the other LA team acquiring a great player when not injured;the same player engineered moves behind the scenes, all the while giving the Lakers the false impression that he was seriously coming (he wasn't), the reputation of having a cheap owner... I could keep going.

We were in need of talent badly. We still need more talent. These are the factors that have driven the single-minded focus to not only acquire talent, but keep it too!

Ok, we overpaid to do it. I'm grateful that we have competent people making some shrewd moves, besides overpaying a bit for talent, and an owner willing to spend $4mil on a second round pick.

Ownership willing to spend to acquire talent, and to spend even more to retain it, is to be appreciated. Just as they may have overpaid Rui a bit, they also resigned both D'Angelo & Reaves at extremely reasonable deals.

There's a balance they've worked into these transactions to be appreciated.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Quote:

Well said. I was expecting a 15M max at Rui and even that he hasnt earned IMO. Based off potential.

DLo contract is such a bargain. The power of playing good (or bad) the last series you play in. Rui was up and down also, he just finished on a + note.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 72 of 73
Jump to: