Welcome MALIK BEASLEY to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Ham playing Beasley as a semi-ball handler off the bench ala Austin Reaves is just dumb.

Dumb Ham.

Beasley is already struggling with his shooting, last thing he needs is more responsibility and turning the ball over trying to make plays.

Dumb Ham.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

Well don't expect much from the bench from this point on. Those guys will continue to struggle with Schroder being the main ball handler.

Reaves produce the same either as a starter or off the bench. The way see it we need Beasley need to start to maximize him. Reaves needs to come off the bench so we can maximize the bench.

Bench only 14 points tonight. That is not going to cut it.

Yeah the way I see it is that AR gives you the same production on the bench or with the starters roughly.

Beasley on the bench is lol. But if with the starters he shoots even 2-6 (which is bad, to be clear) with no turnovers, that's still better production than he's giving off the bench, so overall the team's better with him starting.

Now maybe he's still going 0-4 with 4 turnovers with the starters, idk. But I would like to see him next to more playmakers
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Well don't expect much from the bench from this point on. Those guys will continue to struggle with Schroder being the main ball handler.

Reaves produce the same either as a starter or off the bench. The way see it we need Beasley need to start to maximize him. Reaves needs to come off the bench so we can maximize the bench.

Yeah the way I see it is that AR gives you the same production on the bench or with the starters roughly.

Beasley on the bench is lol. But if with the starters he shoots even 2-6 (which is bad, to be clear) with no turnovers, that's still better production than he's giving off the bench, so overall the team's better with him starting.

Now maybe he's still going 0-4 with 4 turnovers with the starters, idk. But I would like to see him next to more playmakers

Or, and hear me out here, HE DOESN’T PLAY. When we are healthy, why does he get minutes? His ten horrific minutes today could have been replaced with a few more minutes for Austin (who only played 29), or Brown, or Lonnie, or DS, or even Rui or Wenyen if we play bigger. He should have to earn his spot. If he’s going to be a walking brick, he can’t be a walking hole on defense and a walking turnover to boot.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Like Lonzo said on top... Ham has Beasley handling the ball with the 2nd unit. Which is dumb... He only have to focus on getting open to catch and shoot as a starter. Don't have to ask him to do too much. Which should be less turnovers... If Ham will continue to play him like tonight. He is better off going with Walker who is a better finisher.

Reaves split as a starter or bench is pretty identical. You can argue his efficiency is much better off the bench.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Or, and hear me out here, HE DOESN’T PLAY. When we are healthy, why does he get minutes? His ten horrific minutes today could have been replaced with a few more minutes for Austin (who only played 29), or Brown, or Lonnie, or DS, or even Rui or Wenyen if we play bigger. He should have to earn his spot. If he’s going to be a walking brick, he can’t be a walking hole on defense and a walking turnover to boot.

If Ham continues to play him like tonight. It would be better to not play him at all. Because Ham is not putting him on a spot where he can succeed. But tonight was probably his worst game as a Laker. I put that blame more on Ham. TBJ also had 0 points in 20 minutes tonight. I think because those 2 guys are better suited not playing along side Schroder alone.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Lonnie is just as terrible but unlike Beasley doesn't have a history of having been good. The problem with not playing Beasley is Schroder only plays like 20 min because we have a better PG option (Russell). Russell and Reaves can also play the 2, but there are 96 guard minutes in total. If Schroder is playing even 24, that still leaves 72 for Russell/ Reaves. I don't think it's a good idea to play them for 36 min apiece (Reaves could probably handle it but still).

Maybe for the playoffs you tighten your rotation but IMO you still need a fourth guard to soak up about 10 min or so. That would put the load on Russell/Reaves to a more reasonable 32ish. So if you need 10 min from your fourth best guard, then my argument is the best way to allot those 10 minutes is Beasley with the starters. And if he's bad in his first stint, play more AR/DLO (or even Dennis) -- if need be.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Also the pure bench lineup is not it. Schroder/Reaves was killing it off the bench, but today our bench was awful. I don't think it's just a one game sample thing. One or two of Reaves/ Russell/ James/ AD needs to play with the bench, and Reaves with the bench has worked well. But he needs to rest at some point.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
leking006 wrote:
can they just bench malik and lonnie. I think they have good enough shooters (DLO, Reaves, TBJ) in the lineup without them.

They need a coach who can maximize Beasley... Apparently Ham does not understand how to use him right now. Same goes with Rui.

Only way you can maximize Beasley is by playing him with the starter. Meaning he starts. He has enough gravity to open the lane for Lebron/AD/DLo... Also those guys will be better on finding him open. Unlike coming off the bench with Schroder who's not very good at setting up and finding shooters.

Just play him 5-6 minutes to start the game and the half. Base his playing on how well he is shooting that night.

Hell no. Austin earned that starting spot, and Beasley has been consistently awful even when he’s gotten wide open looks.

Reaves produce the same either as a starter or off the bench. The way I see it Beasley need to start to maximize him. Reaves needs to come off the bench, so we can maximize the bench production.

Tonight’s lineup might be our best lineup, but the issue is we lose so much off the bench, there is literally no balancing without reaves. I agree with start Beasley and bring AR off the bench, but I would like AR to get 32 minutes and finish the game. Ham is so stupid to ran the DS/Beasley/TBJ lineup, no creativity. If he is asking Beasley to create… I don’t know what to say. We have 4 playmakers and 2 of them needs to be on the court the entire time uneless the 1 is Lebron
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I miss Carmelo, at least he makes 3s
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Lonnie is just as terrible but unlike Beasley doesn't have a history of having been good. The problem with not playing Beasley is Schroder only plays like 20 min because we have a better PG option (Russell). Russell and Reaves can also play the 2, but there are 96 guard minutes in total. If Schroder is playing even 24, that still leaves 72 for Russell/ Reaves. I don't think it's a good idea to play them for 36 min apiece (Reaves could probably handle it but still).

Maybe for the playoffs you tighten your rotation but IMO you still need a fourth guard to soak up about 10 min or so. That would put the load on Russell/Reaves to a more reasonable 32ish. So if you need 10 min from your fourth best guard, then my argument is the best way to allot those 10 minutes is Beasley with the starters. And if he's bad in his first stint, play more AR/DLO (or even Dennis) -- if need be.

The difference is teams will let Lonnie shoot all day, but they still won’t let Beasley shoot even as he is struggling. TBJ is more of a “prove to me you are hot” kind of guy. DLO and Beasley are the only 2 players opposing teams wouldn’t allow good look from the 3
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie Walker? Just play Max Christie. Because even if his shot doesn't go in, he does what Beasley and Walker can't ever do: play defense.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Lonnie Walker? Just play Max Christie. Because even if his shot doesn't go in, he does what Beasley and Walker can't ever do: play defense.

Unfortunately Max's minutes were during the vampire's stint and I refused to watch the Lakers then. So IDK about his NBA readiness but honestly not opposed to it based on how people have spoken about Christie.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

AR may put up the same numbers, but him starting has more to do with amplifying the overall effectiveness of that Lebron/AD/Dlo/Vando group and throwing our best possible punch. He pretty much completes that lineup, and the efficiency numbers speak for themselves. This is more an issue of Ham being horrible at staggering lineups. There’s a middle ground where you can have a good amount of minutes to start and close games/halves with those starters, and also have some Schroder/AR minutes, or Lebron/Dlo, etc. mixed with the bench guys.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

AR may put up the same numbers, but him starting has more to do with amplifying the overall effectiveness of that Lebron/AD/Dlo/Vando group and throwing our best possible punch. He pretty much completes that lineup, and the efficiency numbers speak for themselves. This is more an issue of Ham being horrible at staggering lineups. There’s a middle ground where you can have a good amount of minutes to start and close games/halves with those starters, and also have some Schroder/AR minutes, or Lebron/Dlo, etc. mixed with the bench guys.

He amplifies the bench too though, have you seen the bench numbers with him and Schro? I do agree that you can accomplish the same thing by just staggering the bench -- if Ham finds a rotation that works in that regard, I'm happy with that too. I just don't think you want your backcourt to be Schro/ Beasley unless LeBron is out there too.

And I know some people want to yeet Beas out of the rotation but I do think you need a fourth guard playing 10-20 min.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I like the Reaves/Schroder combo, too…especially going against other teams’ bench units. I’ll cut Ham some slack because he’s barely had the full group available, but man, this isn’t the first time he’s had to learn that an all bench lineup rarely works out for us. And with four “anchor” guys you can mix in with the bench in AD, Lebron, Dlo, and Reaves (!!!), it’s not like his options are limited here.

Agreed that Beas needs to stick in the lineup, though, but needs more time playing next to multiple playmakers on the floor with him. It may be ugly watching him now, but if he gets going, he can absolutely turn a big game for us.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
tox wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

He amplifies the bench too though, have you seen the bench numbers with him and Schro? I do agree that you can accomplish the same thing by just staggering the bench -- if Ham finds a rotation that works in that regard, I'm happy with that too. I just don't think you want your backcourt to be Schro/ Beasley unless LeBron is out there too.

And I know some people want to yeet Beas out of the rotation but I do think you need a fourth guard playing 10-20 min.

Beasley is a specialist at this point. The way ham is using him now doesn’t get him good looks, and asking him to create… lol
He only had 1 3 point shot today, and it is a combination of teams won’t let him get good looks and our offense can’t get him good looks(no playmaker)
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Whats the best course of action with him? I dont really want him to stay next season

1. Let walk? We lose a salary we can use in (sign&)trades
2. Pick up option then trade? Not sure he got much value all by himself
3. Try to negotiate a smaller salary? Not sure hed take it

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Whats the best course of action with him? I dont really want him to stay next season

The most ideal option is just trade him for a draft pick. A 2nd round pick would be fine.

Let the scouting department do their thing and replace him with someone actually good at their job. While also being much cheaper.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Beasley is a specialist at this point. The way ham is using him now doesn’t get him good looks, and asking him to create… lol
He only had 1 3 point shot today, and it is a combination of teams won’t let him get good looks and our offense can’t get him good looks(no playmaker)

Yeah, Beasley can do one thing and if he's going to be the fourth guard we need to put him in positions to succeed. I know he has stuff going on in his personal life, hope his FIL gets better.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject:

Combination of Ham completely misusing him and a complete lack of confidence. He's never been a great player or even particularly good but he's always been a rotation player. He looks like one of the worst players in the league right now.

He is a shooting specialist.. He should NEVER be given the ball to create, he should rarely ever be forced to put the ball on the ground, he should only be on the floor with Lebron/AD and certainly not with Dennis as the sole ball-handler, and he should be pulled if he isn't competing on defense or doing too much on the offensive end (I.E trying to push the ball in a fastbreak).

He should be out of the rotation now and probably would be even if he was shooting well because of his poor defense but Ham hasn't put him in a position to succeed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Unfortunately Max's minutes were during the vampire's stint and I refused to watch the Lakers then. So IDK about his NBA readiness but honestly not opposed to it based on how people have spoken about Christie.

Max Christie is basically baby Ariza

gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

The most ideal option is just trade him for a draft pick. A 2nd round pick would be fine.

Let the scouting department do their thing and replace him with someone actually good at their job. While also being much cheaper.

Who would give the Lakers an asset for the privilege of paying him $16 million. Would you do it?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:42 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Who would give the Lakers an asset for the privilege of paying him $16 million. Would you do it?

Trade deadline? It's basically a $16M expiring with a first rounder knowing the Lakers might (emphasis on might) be very bad in a couple of years
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Someone who has a player on a multiyear deal that the Lakers want, but who the owning team wants to get rid of to free up cap space.

Nobody wanted Kendrick Nunn? Or Patrick Beverley at $13m? Or Russ at $47m, either? Having that salary on the roster gives you flexibility to make a move if one presents itself.

As bad as Malik has been, he's only two years removed from a 19.6 point on 39.9% three point shooting season. And is a career 37.8% three point shooter on high volume. He's much more likely to bounce back than he is to be who is is right now forever.

People forget, Buddy Hield shot 36.6% from three last year. He hadn't reached 40% in three seasons. And after the Pacers trade he shot 36.2%. Shooters have a better chance of correcting their shot in the offseason, when they have a lot more practice time to work out their issues. Hield bounced back this year to shoot 42.1%. Malik is more likely to return to his career numbers than not.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Depends on the team? If they need guards, especially guards that can shoot, and if those teams have nothing better to use cap space on, then I could see them do it? Probably them banking on Beasley bouncing back.

We literally got assets for Westbrick and Pat Bev. Anything can happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22
Jump to: