Thank you Rob Pelinka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject:

He turned a lot of trash into nice players who seem like they will fit. I'm impressed and excited. Best trade deadline I can remember.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
He turned a lot of trash into nice players who seem like they will fit. I'm impressed and excited. Best trade deadline I can remember.

Yea, this one was good...super impressed by the job Rob did...doubted he had the skill or willingness...so glad I was wrong about him. I'm sorry for all the bad things I said about you Rob, I don't know why you waited so long and got us into this mess of a deep hole but I'm thankful that at least it looks like you did a great job to give us a chance to get out of it.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject:

How in the hell did Rob pull all this off?
Freakin' doctor of negotiation.
Godfather like moves.

I can't say anything bad right now. I just can't....
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Nice one.

Now it's up to Ham to make it work
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
I have to say it is clever how he shipped Bev outta here so Ham couldn't cling to him at SG

And got some young hungry guys in here where he can't play the vet card

In addition to everything else, he "Ham-proofed" the roster

still got lonnie as the backup pf
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject:

He cooked, no doubt
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject:

If the "Executive of the Year" award was based purely on the merit of an executive's performance during a single season, then Rob Pelinka would easily win the 2022-2023 Executive of the Year award. He not only won every trade, but he outright dominated every single trade. And he must be commended for shrewd signings, such as the Thomas Bryant vet min signing, which resulted in a return of three 2nd round draft picks, as well as making an excellent draft selection in Max Christie.

Instead, I'm sure Brad Stevens will win EOTY based on the Celtics' performance, even though most of the players contributing to their success were brought in by Ainge.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
If the "Executive of the Year" award was based purely on the merit of an executive's performance during a single season, then Rob Pelinka would easily win the 2022-2023 Executive of the Year award. He not only won every trade, but he outright dominated every single trade. And he must be commended for shrewd signings, such as the Thomas Bryant vet min signing, which resulted in a return of three 2nd round draft picks, as well as making an excellent draft selection in Max Christie.

Instead, I'm sure Brad Stevens will win EOTY based on the Celtics' performance, even though most of the players contributing to their success were brought in by Ainge.

Rob will hit the MOTHERLOAD jackpot this summer.

We dominate 2023/24 and win a Ring.

Rob wins EOTY
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject:

sheesh... Rob just put on a trade deadline clinic without giving up too many picks to handicap the future.

JTA GONE
WESTBOOK GONE
JONES GONE

TB wanted out and we got a true rim protector in Bamba to replace him.

I will miss Pat Bev and the peskiness he was bringing, but that's the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Awesome trade deadline for us.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Rob has gone from being idiot to genius then back to idiot then back to
genius over his career as a GM.
I’m hope that the Lakers owners, players and player agents all allow this Rob to continue to function.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Rob turning water into wine. Hope it's the first sign of more good things to come.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject:

This is what happens when everyone respects the other persons job, and stays in their lane. Let players play, and make/learn mistakes. Same for coaches, and FO's. FO's don't need to be on the court, or sideline. Coaches don't need to be on the court (playing), or in the front office. Players don't need to be on the sideline (coaching), or in the front office. Let the people who were hired to do their job...DO THEIR JOB. I think this season was the start of that. I believe the Lakers FO and LeBron/Klutch came to an understanding that the FO was going to be drawing lines in regards to decision making. I also heard that the Buss brothers, from the scouting dept, were going to be included in front office talks.

I imagine that Joey and Jesse Buss had a hand in identifying the talent we needed going forward. While Rob did the wheeling and dealing to get said targets. If that's the case, that's music to my ears.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Great deadline by the front office.

They got younger. Moved for some guys under contract so it won't be the obligatory band of mercenary minimums we've seen over the past few seasons. Managed to turn both of their big expiring contracts into assets. Salvaged something for Bryant when it looked certain he would not be back next year. And addressed shooting.

All while only giving up one first round pick, a couple of seconds, and nothing but expiring contracts except for one negative asset in Jones. They did well.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka has done an amazing job turning what many on this board considered garbage into good, useful players. He brought in three, maybe four 3-point threats if you include Davon Reed, as well as big men who can rebound, defend and finish strong at the rim in Vanderbilt and Bamba.

Our only possible weakness now on paper could be a smaller 2/3 wing who can defend, but maybe Max Christie will become enough of that type of player.

Some of us, myself included, need to fill out those Twitter apology forms for Pelinka.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject:

Kobe trusted and respected Rob, I've been saying it from the start but we should have trusted and respected him too.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject:

He deserves some good words. Did a great job and filled the needs of the team.
Still I am pissed he hired Ham for the coach. Terrible fit for the team that has high goals and want to achieve something.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:

The Lakers are a 9–14 seed team in the West this season, is that really worthy of awards?

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
sheesh... Rob just put on a trade deadline clinic without giving up too many picks to handicap the future.

JTA GONE
WESTBOOK GONE
JONES GONE

I will miss Pat Bev and the peskiness he was bringing, but that's the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Who was responsible for JTA, Westbrook and Jones being on the roster?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

JTA GONE
WESTBOOK GONE
JONES GONE

Who was responsible for JTA, Westbrook and Jones being on the roster?

Are you seriously holding vet min signings against Rob? It is always hit and miss, but if you have to, then DS and TB are the best vet min guys in the NBA , to the point that TB bring back 3 2nd round picks.
As for Russ, that’s his only stain on the resume, but I don’t think it is all him because he clearly wanted Hield
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah... don't think anyone should be apologizing to Rob Pelinka or the front office.

Maybe a few kudos for making some really great trades to correct a mistake HE made to begin with.

Everyone and their grandmother know that you need to surround LeBron with shooters... coupled with some decent defenders.

Instead... Pelinka signed off on the likes of an undersized Montrezl Harrell only to follow that up with blowing up all remaining assets on Westbrook... a turnover machine that can't shoot. No thanks.

It took Pelinka long enough to get his head out of his arse and go back to a winning formula that has been with Lebron for almost two decades. Genius!

And don't even get me started on Pelinka blowing up the roster every year absolutely stonewalling the development of any chemistry!

The one constant with Pelinka is... when he misses... he really, really f'n misses. When he hits (like this trade deadline) he really hits.

Last edited by M2K on Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I'd surely like to add my thanks to RP. The transformation of the roster is remarkable. Talent, youth, good contracts, defensive additions, really, really great work!

I'm waiting for the Bamba!
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I’m still dumbfounded. How did he pull this off? Seriously?

We went from a toxic / unwatchable / embarrassment of a team, to an absolute delight of a squad.

How did he spin Westbrook into such gold? The moves he made were better than we could have expected.

Immediate impact players at every position, and players that we can build around Lebron and AD moving forward.

The joy of watching Lakers basketball again ……. there’s nothing like it.

Thank you Rob.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:

We went from a toxic / unwatchable / embarrassment of a team, to an absolute delight of a squad.

How did he spin Westbrook into such gold? The moves he made were better than we could have expected.

Immediate impact players at every position, and players that we can build around Lebron and AD moving forward.

Thank you Rob.

We need to sign a center ASAP
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject:

VLF triggered seeing that thread title.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:

Thank you Rob.

Rob proved that he is actually a capable GM... Maybe got pursuaded a bit much by his stars. So 2 things happened... Jeanie lifted some of the restrictions or Rob stopped listening to Lebron/AD.

Now if you look back on the deals... It's not that hard to understand how they pulled it off. It took 3 right teams to all agree on that trade.

DLo - Minny didn't want to pay him. He was not getting along with Gobert who they just gave up a ton for. They got Conley a vet PG who has a history with Gobert. Plus 2nd round picks.

Vando/Beasley - Jazz been shopping them. Wanted a 1st for each one of them. They were not getting any takers. Instead they got a $47m expiring. Got rid of Conley's contract. Still got a top 4 protected pick.

Their value to the Lakers just seems better compare to Utah/Minny. But they are role players at the end of the day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: