Thank you Rob Pelinka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Like Jeanie’s “friend” Wob says, “Rob Pelinka. Promises made, Promises kept.”
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
sheesh... Rob just put on a trade deadline clinic without giving up too many picks to handicap the future.

JTA GONE
WESTBOOK GONE
JONES GONE

TB wanted out and we got a true rim protector in Bamba to replace him.

I will miss Pat Bev and the peskiness he was bringing, but that's the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Awesome trade deadline for us.

Who was responsible for JTA, Westbrook and Jones being on the roster?

Are you seriously holding vet min signings against Rob? It is always hit and miss, but if you have to, then DS and TB are the best vet min guys in the NBA , to the point that TB bring back 3 2nd round picks.
As for Russ, that’s his only stain on the resume, but I don’t think it is all him because he clearly wanted Hield

Well yes, he’s the one who signed them.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
I’m still dumbfounded. How did he pull this off? Seriously?

We went from a toxic / unwatchable / embarrassment of a team, to an absolute delight of a squad.

How did he spin Westbrook into such gold? The moves he made were better than we could have expected.

Immediate impact players at every position, and players that we can build around Lebron and AD moving forward.

The joy of watching Lakers basketball again ……. there’s nothing like it.

Thank you Rob.

It was painstakingly to watch the Lakers with Westbrook. They were predictable on offense and worst atrocious on defense. No wonder it was close games no matter who they play.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>
As for Russ, that’s his only stain on the resume, but I don’t think it is all him because he clearly wanted Hield

You mean someone else (Magic?) was responsible for the following:
- letting Randle walk for nothing
- letting Lopez walk for nothing
- trading Zubac to the Clippers for next to nothing
- giving away FRP's like chewing gum in various trades (Schroeder, Westbrook, ...)
- choosing THT in favor of Caruso (and giving THT that contract to begin with)
- choosing Harrell in favor of Howard
- constituting an all-geriatric squad and thus wasting an entire year of the LBJ/AD era
- ... there's more ...

Thankfully you mentioned Westbrook, who wasn't just a trade disaster but also single-handedly wasted a full second year of the AD/Lebron era to the point where we're biting our nails wondering if the team will make the play-ins.

(And, for the record, I think that this last set of moves for Vando/Beas/Rui/DLo were excellent, but one excellent move doesn't change history)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- giving away FRP's like chewing gum in various trades (Schroeder, Westbrook, ...)
- constituting an all-geriatric squad and thus wasting an entire year of the LBJ/AD era
- ... there's more ...

Thankfully you mentioned Westbrook, who wasn't just a trade disaster but also single-handedly wasted a full second year of the AD/Lebron era to the point where we're biting our nails wondering if the team will make the play-ins.

(And, for the record, I think that this last set of moves for Vando/Beas/Rui/DLo were excellent, but one excellent move doesn't change history)

Trust me when I say this, Caruso going to Chicago had nothing to do with Pelinka it was a cost cutting move in favor of saving money which means most of the thinking behind letting Caruso walk was the Organization and not directly from Pelinka, the Lakers actually wanted Howard to stay but then he changed his mind and decided to sign with Philly and we opted to sign Harrell when LeGM and Klutch aren’t influencing the moves and when the Lakers FO lets Pelinka do his job he’s a well thought out GM
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject:

thank you rob, for undoing your roto league moves
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject:

{Leave it alone…leave it alone…leave it alone}
…nope!

{Sh!t…}

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

Trust me when I say this, Caruso going to Chicago had nothing to do with Pelinka it was a cost cutting move in favor of saving money which means most of the thinking behind letting Caruso walk was the Organization and not directly from Pelinka, the Lakers actually wanted Howard to stay but then he changed his mind and decided to sign with Philly and we opted to sign Harrell when LeGM and Klutch aren’t influencing the moves and when the Lakers FO lets Pelinka do his job he’s a well thought out GM

And trust me when I say, we can’t trust that man.

If I hire you to construct a 3max roster sheet (which has clearly been their end game), but we need to minimize the tax hit…What’s the plan? A well thought out GM would not #MarginalizeTheMargins.

Ours did…

Obviously you want to make sure your top 3 are compatible and fit/stagger nicely among each other. That being said…it’s imperative you then address the bottom of the roster…the margin calls. Would you rather have kids developing on longterm deals and maintaining continuity or would you continue to sign has beens on 1yr stopgap deals inducing a year to year roster purge?

I mean you don’t need one or the other..you can have both, but we’ve seen consistently with this FO group, that no matter the resources (cap space or exceptions), they will in large part, not hand out 3+ yr deals to anybody but those star players. Only THT at the MLE amount, KCP and Kuz at slightly above avg deals have been given anything longer than 2yr deals during this FO’s tenure.

It was our inability to retain our FAs in Schro, AC, Wes, Kieff, etc that made us have to go hunting for talent in the vet min bin after exhausting our MLE (again on continued 1-2yr deals). As ne when those short term stop gap deals come due, we right back into restocking the roster with a MLE and vet mins.

Doesn’t seem very well thought out to me.

{Ya happy that you got them rocks off? Was it worth it?}
Yep!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Letting Wes and Kieff walk was the right move especially when he let them walk at the time that they are cooked
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject:

@IG: Salary fodder: we had nonbird on Wes’s BAE to get him @4.3m. Had early bird on Kieff to get him for up to 10.5m.

I mean we got Rui via Nunn’s player opt-in. And we got Russ via Tre…we’ll forget about that one haha.

Either way, salary gets aggregated all the time to go get ballers, and we continue to limit ourselves when we don’t construct rosters/salaries accordingly. They are resources we can tap in to, so why don’t we? Cause when we don’t, we limited AF and 5 years later, a Bron/AD pairing has one bubble run to their name…yikes! This after Bron came off 8 consecutive Finals runs… YIKES!

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

This is a very common spin from the people who want Pelinka to be perceived as an outstanding GM: the good things that happened were because of him, the bad things that happened were because others forced him to do things he didn't want to do.

While we have no way of knowing Pelinkas exact position on every move, enough stuff has come out that I'm not buying the spin. (I also don't buy it when everything is depicted in very tidy black and white scenarios where everything is an absolute rather than a shade of gray, as real life tends to be.) But if he's able to put together a good five or 10-year track record, I'm willing to reevaluate
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

This is a very common spin from the people who want Pelinka to be perceived as an outstanding GM: the good things that happened were because of him, the bad things that happened were because others forced him to do things he didn't want to do.

While we have no way of knowing Pelinkas exact position on every move, enough stuff has come out that I'm not buying the spin. But if he's able to put together a good five or 10-year track record, I'm willing to reevaluate

I’m not suggesting we should make excuses when he does a bad move but consider the fact who’s currently in the Organization and how much influence they have with the team, It doesn’t take a smart person to realize that they like having there in put
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

While we have no way of knowing Pelinkas exact position on every move, enough stuff has come out that I'm not buying the spin. But if he's able to put together a good five or 10-year track record, I'm willing to reevaluate

I’m not suggesting we should make excuses when he does a bad move but consider the fact who’s currently in the Organization and how much influence they have with the team, It doesn’t take a smart person to realize that they like having there in put

But you're not talking about people merely having "input" about moves. You are arbitrarily assigning credit/blame for specific moves to different people, without any real knowledge of how much influence different people actually had on those specific moves, in order to support a narrative you want to push.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject:

Pelinka should take a family day and go to Disneyland today. This roster is young, hungry, and deep.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

As I recall, Magic was pretty vocal about the Zubac trade. For some reason he thought he was worthless.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject:

LFsnz67 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

As I recall, Magic was pretty vocal about the Zubac trade. For some reason he thought he was worthless.

Many of those moves can be traced back to other factors... Magic, Klutch influence etc.

AD openly fought with Dwight... who knows whether that was a factor in him leaving or not getting signed a third time.

THT was Bron's protege.

The first round picks, especially in the case of Westbrook and AD were overpays influenced by Bron's pressure to make it happen

Randle and Lopez happened during Magic's watch

I would judge Pelinka what happens post LBJ because to me it seems the less Bron's influence over the front office, the better the team.

This summer will be key because if we keep what we have instead of trading for Kyrie then maybe the Klutch era will finally be on its decline.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

Pelinka gets blame and credit.

But, to pretend other factors can't/don't play a huge role would be silly.

I feel like he did an incredible job turning the ship around.. finally.

I hope they keep the roster intact.. so that they'll have maximum flexibility moving forward.

They could be in a position of strength to make an excellent trade at the deadline next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

Caruso going to Chicago had everything to do with Pelinka, if he needed to cut salary he had every opportunity to trade THT instead but made the decision not to. Howard signed in Philly because of Pelinka’s lack of communication skills. Signing Harrell was some kind of joke. Oh, and punctuation matters.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

Caruso going to Chicago had everything to do with Pelinka, if he needed to cut salary he had every opportunity to trade THT instead but made the decision not to. Howard signed in Philly because of Pelinka’s lack of communication skills. Signing Harrell was some kind of joke. Oh, and punctuation matters.

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2021/12/14/lakers-lebron-james-calls-talen-horton-tucker-special/
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

Folks want to keep seeing it a certain way and that won’t change no matter what’s presented to them.

Fact remains, dude’s been a day 1 GM. Everything (Magic, Klutch, AD trade attempts, unnecessary Deng stretch/buyout, lack of trade deadline movement in ‘20, ‘21 & ‘22, cap plans of 2018, ‘19 & upcoming ‘23) have all been under his watch.

The trade deadline this year created flexibility for us this summer. It was an overall good move, but it came after Rob placed us in a situation where his lack of vision/planning incapacitated us for the majority of this season.

Will yet another year with Bron/AD go to waste? That’s pending, but fact remains he his not taken advantage of that pairing for most of their tenure in LA. Meanwhile LeGM under 2 different regimes in previous locations went to the big dance 8 consecutive years before 1,2,3 Cancuning with his current partner, taking the lead.

Go ahead, call 🧢 on that and tell me I’m wrong.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

<snip>

- ... there's more ...

Ok so I’ll bring some light and context to these bad moves. But disclaimer: I am not defending Magic in this in anyway whatsoever. Just some context where there is a legit reason for certain moves.

- Lakers were trying to trade Randle, and couldn’t find a buyer without ripping us off. We all know we were going after Lebron, and we needed all the cap space possible to also try and sign Paul George as well during the time.

- This was definitely an awful move, and the biggest offender. Lopes even wanted to come back for cheap. This was definitely inexcusable.

- This one always gets referenced alot and look: YES, trade was bad. We all know that. But the thing was, Zubac wasn’t gonna be on the team beyond that season anyway. People here forget that he was an expiring, and the Lakers were clearly trying to clear all the cap space possible not only for the AD trade, but getting Kawhi Leonard as well. For Christ sake, we traded Wagner, Bonga and Bryant to the Wizards for literally nothing just to clear it. Zubac was not gonna be back on the team anyway.

- I promise you, no one feels more offended by that Schroder trade than me. Especially when that first round pick would have been used to get Desmond Bane. And I hated that trade when it happened to. You can look up my post history with that. HOWEVER, at least there was a good reason for that trade, and it should have upgraded our depth, but then Schroder’s ego got in the way, which not many people predicted.

- Westbrook trade was Lebron/AD’s fault. Everybody knows that. They forced Pelinka’s hand there with Lebron crying for another ball handler/floor general. But umm…wait a minute: Magic wasn’t here for this?

- Yeah Magic was not responsible for the rest of the points here.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Folks want to keep seeing it a certain way and that won’t change no matter what’s presented to them.

Same could be said about you.

The team looks solid and you still are pushing your anti-Rob agenda.

I enjoy your posts, especially when you break down the financial aspect of the game, but don't act like you are above the fray.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

Days inbetween games...

[insert meaningless topic with no factual evidence to substantiate opinions]

'I'm right.'

'No, I'm right.'

'Ahhhh no, I'm right.'

'No you're not, I'm right.'

'Wait a minute pal, you don't know what you're talking about.'

[Rinse]

[Repeat]

🙄

#BannersOverBillboards
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

^Also said this in my post which you might have missed…

Quote:
The trade deadline this year created flexibility for us this summer. It was an overall good move, but it came after Rob placed us in a situation where his lack of vision/planning incapacitated us for the majority of this season.

I gave him his flowers for the moment, but that moment came after the many moments that came previously putting us in this position in the first place.

My anti-Rob stance has been backed by mountains of evidence and seasons of missteps, but feel free to insinuate on my stance. All I’ll do is back my stance with proof. That’s the hill I’ll die on. My flag’s been staked…

But make no mistake…this thread wants to “thank” Rob for putting us in position to finally overcome a sub .500 hole and compete for a chance to earn a spot in play-ins. I assume you’ve followed the Lakers for a minute…is this the expectation you have for them? Is this what you expected after bringing in a dude that made it to 8 consecutive Finals before bringing his talents here?
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject:

Conversations are built by listening, considering, finding points to agree upon, and THEN bringing your counter point to the table for equal consideration.

Of course, conditioned arguing over meaningless topics is how the last 20 years of SM have gone.

The root disease?

Needing to be right.

Is it true (accurate)?

Is it kind?

Is it necessary?

1. Do you know which trades were influenced by Magic, by Jeanie, by Bron?

No. So none of this can be even remotely considered accurate except that once Magic left, it is all on Rob regardless of influence. So that means he won a ring and then made a disastrous trade with multiple bad consequences that have since been magically rectified somehow by him. So he deserves credit, blame, then credit sure.

2. Do you intend to denigrate his professional acumen or accept that you dont know as much as him and have no knowledge of the variables leading to the decision?

I wonder..

3. We have a squad that is well above 500 post trade despite many injuries to key players. They are fun to watch and can be kept together if Jeanie is willing to do so. So is it necessary to be right about a past you dont have fact for?

Or is it better to flay the Westbrook error from your mind and just enjoy the ride because life is already hard enough and this is entertainment right?

No judgment...just want everyone to remember we dont suck anymore.🤙🏽

#BannersOverBillboards
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^Also said this in my post which you might have missed…

Quote:

I gave him his flowers for the moment, but that moment came after the many moments that came previously putting us in this position in the first place.

My anti-Rob stance has been backed by mountains of evidence and seasons of missteps, but feel free to insinuate on my stance. All I’ll do is back my stance with proof. That’s the hill I’ll die on. My flag’s been staked…

But make no mistake…this thread wants to “thank” Rob for putting us in position to finally overcome a sub .500 hole and compete for a chance to earn a spot in play-ins. I assume you’ve followed the Lakers for a minute…is this the expectation you have for them? Is this what you expected after bringing in a dude that made it to 8 consecutive Finals before bringing his talents here?

I felt the first really wrong turn was giving up all our young cost controlled assets for AD instead of either waiting a year or signing someone else.

I felt the overpay was more of a function of being put under pressure by their star than Rob's stupidity... but you can blame both parties if you want.

I felt the second really wrong turn was the second big trade for Russ.

Also being put under pressure by our big star.

We didn't have access to as much info back then but if old Kareem was telling West and Riley which trades to make and using his influence I would have blamed him as well.

I'm not saying Rob is perfect... I was pretty neutral about the guy until this last trade which raised him in my estimation... but I've always said we can't judge him until Klutch is gone.

A lot of the small moves around the edges that you would make, makes sense to me... and I enjoy reading about those.

But it's these big moves that are f*cking up the team.

If Bron pushes for Kyrie, I will say the same thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: