Thank you Rob Pelinka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
sheesh... Rob just put on a trade deadline clinic without giving up too many picks to handicap the future.

JTA GONE
WESTBOOK GONE
JONES GONE

TB wanted out and we got a true rim protector in Bamba to replace him.

I will miss Pat Bev and the peskiness he was bringing, but that's the way the dominoes fall sometimes.

Awesome trade deadline for us.

Who was responsible for JTA, Westbrook and Jones being on the roster?

Are you seriously holding vet min signings against Rob? It is always hit and miss, but if you have to, then DS and TB are the best vet min guys in the NBA , to the point that TB bring back 3 2nd round picks.
As for Russ, that’s his only stain on the resume, but I don’t think it is all him because he clearly wanted Hield

Well yes, he’s the one who signed them.

In your stupid logic, every GM in the history of this league has made mistakes on Vet Min signings, yes, even your beloved clippers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
In your stupid logic, every GM in the history of this league has made mistakes on Vet Min signings, yes, even your beloved clippers.

Yes, every GM in the league has made mistakes on vet min signings. The point is that Pelinka deserves only so much credit for cleaning up his own mistakes. Hopefully, the trade deadline moves are a sign of progress.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Yes, every GM in the league has made mistakes on vet min signings. The point is that Pelinka deserves only so much credit for cleaning up his own mistakes. Hopefully, the trade deadline moves are a sign of progress.

Except cleaning up a mess, even their own, is pretty big props because how many GMs have come back from those mistakes and turned that same team around like Pelinka did?

Even GMs like Daryl Morey couldn't keep his job after his own terrible Westbrook trade. You think Billy King would have fixed this?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Except cleaning up a mess, even their own, is pretty big props because how many GMs have come back from those mistakes and turned that same team around like Pelinka did?

Even GMs like Daryl Morey couldn't keep his job after his own terrible Westbrook trade. You think Billy King would have fixed this?

Sure, it's a good thing. However, it's tempered by the fact that we essentially wasted a season and a half. It wasn't just the Westbrook trade, either. It was the godawful roster construction both seasons. So yes, it's a good thing that Pelinka fixed at least some of the problems, but he needs to keep it up before I'm going to give him "big props." Make no mistake, though: if he does it, I will.

Morey is a bad example. He made the Westbrook trade after Harden fell out with Chris Paul. The Rockets made the second round of the playoffs with Westbrook, then Morey quit when it was clear that the Rockets needed to transition into a rebuild. More recently, his handling of the Simmons debacle looks better every day. I expect the Sixers to fall short in the EC playoffs again, but he managed to unload Simmons and keep the Sixers in contention.

As for Billy King, okay. Pelinka might be better than Isiah Thomas, too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Pelinka tried turning last year’s team around and failed miserably, giving us an even worse team. Maybe he will make a top GM one day but the organization’s failure to give him a mentor makes that less likely.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

If the Clippers blow it up after this season, we could be sitting pretty, owning their 2024 & 2025 second round picks.

Meanwhile, we have our FRP in 2023, (likely) 2024, 2026, plus SRP in 2023, 2025, 2027 (in addition to the Clips' picks), plus player control over LBJ, AD, Beasley, Bamba, Vando, Reed & Christie.

We also have first refusal rights over Rui & Reeves, plus Bird Rights on DLO & Wenyen.

Rob will have some ammo in the clip this summer. The FRPs cannot be traded, but there's some flexibility.
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Pelinka tried turning last year’s team around and failed miserably, giving us an even worse team. Maybe he will make a top GM one day but the organization’s failure to give him a mentor makes that less likely.

Where did he fail miserably at? Sometimes it’s confusing what people are watching. The bias is so strong.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

He saved them from a lottery berth.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject:

How the hell did Rob manage to assemble such a deep Laker team...mid season? This team vs prior is like night and day. Did he stumble on this, or did he sorta plan this thing out.

Damn, this Lakers team is deep.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
How the hell did Rob manage to assemble such a deep Laker team...mid season? This team vs prior is like night and day. Did he stumble on this, or did he sorta plan this thing out.

The answer is Joey, Jesse and himself sat down and were methodical about what this team needed.

It wasn’t “Hey do what it takes to get Russ” and it better not be “Do what it takes to get Kyrie” or we will be back in the pre-trade deadline (bleep) boat again.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject:

You win some
You lose some

We won BIG with this trade deadline
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
You win some
You lose some

Just getting rid of the vampire was worth couple of wins
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

What would be cherry on top is if the 2027 pick is a late first rounder.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I decided to come to this post today and thank Rob again.
No way we are where we are without the trade deadline changes that he made.
Since I have been a Lakers fan (since 1979), I don't recall a more aggressive trade deadline roster altering.

I couldn't believe it....

My most hated players, gone...
Westbrook
Beverley

Most MIA players, gone...
JTA
Damian Jones
Nunn

Still don't know how he got the players he got also!!

How, Rob? All I know is that we don't come up from 13 to 7 without these moves. No way....
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook era was unwatchable for me. I can enjoy watching the Lakers again, thank you Rob
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

DS, Wenyen, TBJ and Thomas Bryant amazing value on minimum deals. Turned Westbrook into DLo, Vando and Malik. Got Rui for Nunn and 2nd round picks. Got few 2nd round picks and a big with good defensive potential and ability to hit 3s for Thomas Bryant who wanted out and was a bad defender despite having athleticism. Great work from Rob in last several months.

I like DLo, Vando, Malik for dumping Westbrook compared to Turner and Heild as well. Not to mention we saved 2029 FRP in the process. Vando whom we can put on opposition's best wing has way more value on this team than Turner as we have AD, Bron and Rui for interior protection. DLo vs Buddy isn't even close when DLo is shooting and playmaking so efficiently throughout the season. Buddy is closer to Malik than DLo.

And if we win 43-44 games and claim 6th, waiting until deadline to get the right players and keep our 2029 pick becomes even more of a masterstroke rather than make that Indy deal for 2027 and 29 unprotected or lightly protected.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Was not a fan of Pelinka hire as he had no experience with front office. He fumbled some of the cap management like signing THT, Reaves etc to 3 or 4 year contracts. But, I won't blame the Westbrook trade on him. I don't think he had much say once Lebron and Management wanted it. But he negotiated a great trade with Danny Ainge which is very rare and he held on to one of the first round picks. If he nails the draft this year...I would consider him very good
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Rob has been trying to make deals since before the season began. He wasn't able to find any until right before the trade deadline. I doubt he ever planned it out to wait with an expectation of getting the players we finally got.

He did a good job uncovering opportunities or taking advantage of opportunities that presented themselves.

He was able to snag a lot of players whose teams didn't see in their future (Rui, Bamba, Vandy, Russell, Beasly) for a good price, in part because those teams couldn't find a better deal and had to lower their price.

Patience paid off. Rob resisted the impulse to trade away both picks for, say, Hield and Turner even though lots of fans were yelling for him to.

Right now, things look great. It often takes a few years for people to decide on the final grade for trades. The evaluation of all these trades in the future might depend on (1) how well we do this year and (2) how many of the players we are able to keep.

If, say, the Lakers don't do much in the playoffs and Beasley, Rui and Bamba leave for nothing, people might bemoan all the draft picks we gave up for them. If we do well and everyone stays, the perception could be different.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Maybe we thank him after he sets up Jeanie with another #win-dow to have her future trophies displayed thru.

The new CBA seems to be emphasizing asset management / player retention quite heavily for big market/spenders. It should really separate the Know-hows from the No,how?s
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
defense wrote:
You win some
You lose some

Helped give room for Reaves to show his hustle too

I should've made a RWPTSD forum for fans.. I gave up caring when he was here
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Maybe we thank him after he sets up Jeanie with another #win-dow to have her future trophies displayed thru.

The new CBA seems to be emphasizing asset management / player retention quite heavily for big market/spenders. It should really separate the Know-hows from the No,how?s

What about the new CBD and THC player rules?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Fans will be fans. They will beat up coaches and GMs for any immediate failures, and go gaga over any immediate successes. It takes quite a while for a GM to build up a big enough track record so he can be judged with any sense of accuracy.

At the moment, a lot of fans are in a gaga period with Rob. Whether, and how long, that feeling sticks is anyone's guess.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
defense wrote:
You win some
You lose some

I stopped watching the Lakers, stopped browsing LG and r/lakers etc lol.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

+Infinity

One of your best posts dawg.🤙🏽

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
defense wrote:
You win some
You lose some

I stopped watching the Lakers, stopped browsing LG and r/lakers etc lol.

DITTO.

Not because I need any sympathy...I don't. Just laying down facts.

Lakers is one of the few connections I still have with my Mom who went home over 20years ago. Each win I think about her.

When it's to that point where I don't care...just sucks on many levels.

Yeah it's just a game, but the Franchise is more than just a business to me and a LOT of die hands for similar reasons.

#BannersOverBillboards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: