Why does LeBron and AD continue to get a pass?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Why does LeBron and AD continue to get a pass?

I've been a diehard Lakers fan for 35+ years.

I'm old enough to have witnessed multiple superstar, all-time great dynamic duos in the purple and gold.

Magic and Kareem, Kobe and Shaq, Kobe and Pau.

Magic and Kareem won 5 titles when they were the faces of the franchise.

Even when they weren't winning titles, they were almost always in contention.

In the playoffs, or in the finals.

Same for Shaq and Kobe.

They brought 3 STRAIGHT titles to LA.

Even when they didn't win the title, they were winning 50/60 + games every season.

Always in the playoffs or in the finals.

Infact, I'm pretty sure Shaq never missed the playoffs while in a Lakers uniform.

Fast forward to Kobe and Pau.

3 straight finals appearances and they won back to back.

Pau was traded to the Lakers in 2008 and the Lakers won the division in '08,'09,'10,'11'12.

If memory serves me correct, the Lakers never missed the playoffs while Pau was in a Lakers uniform.

That brings me to LeBron and AD.

Yes, they did win a championship.

However, you are lying to yourself if you say that championship is not as respected due to the circumstances in which they won it.

Outside of the pandemic season, the Lakers have CONSISTENTLY been a losing team.

Two of the worst Lakers seasons ever ( in relation to expectations) have come on AD's and LeBron's watch.

That's last season and this season.

Why are they not being called out on this?

Why are excuses always made for them?

Why is the greatest franchise in the history of the game tolerating so much losing?

It's not just about the supporting cast.

YOU ARE WHO YOUR BEST PLAYERS ARE.

And more often than not, we are a LOSING TEAM.

What does that tell you?

I could not imagine this amount of consistent losing being tolerated or accepted during any other era when the Lakers had multiple superstars on the roster.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

Because we already went all in. At least we broke even with the chip, blowing it up might not get us adequate assets back. It is what it is, try to squeeze one more run, somehow
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Outside of the pandemic season, the Lakers have CONSISTENTLY been a losing team.

Two of the worst Lakers seasons ever ( in relation to expectations) have come on AD's and LeBron's watch.

This stuff has been discussed at length every day on this website.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

We've forgiven LeBron and LeBron/AD for missing the playoffs in 2019 and 2022 because of the roster and injury circumstances. But I don't think fans will be as forgiving if the Lakers miss the playoffs in 2023.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

You can find no end of discussion on LG of how to partition blame among Lebron, AD, Rob, Jeanie, Ham and the universe itself. And there is no end of opinions of how the blame should be partitioned.

Lebron and AD certainly have not been left out of the party. If you're just looking to high-five folks who think Lebron and AD are the cause of all the Lakers problems, you'll find plenty in the threads dedicated to those guys.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

Because its much easier for people to just blame Pelinka, even tho 99% of what has happened is because of AD/Bron and their wants and needs.

I understand they are injured but that doesnt change the fact they are taking up all our cap space, and not performing..

Bron doesnt care about basketball anymore, and ADs body is failing him.. It sucks, but thats the reality..

The sooner we accept this, the better we will be.

Again, 90% of the fan base will stilll ride and did for AD and Bron and keep making excuses for them
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject:

I think the media covers for them more than anything. General perception is that Lebron has no help and that the team sucks without him, which just isn't true. No team will survive without their star players, unless you are an analytically sound Celtics team run by Brad Stevens. Long before media social media existed, we'd get on Shaq for missing games and getting surgery on "company time", and the media was in lockstep with the high expectations for the team. That level of laziness from Shaq percolated into the 03 playoffs, which led to the Lakers being spanked by the Spurs. It was monumental when the Spurs prevented a 4 peat.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject:

If you’re holding it against them that they can’t stay healthy…fine they don’t get a pass. But you’re acting like they don’t produce like top 10 players when healthy.

They’re not available as often as we’d want them to be which is a BIG problem. But it’s not like they’re healthy and just stinking up the joint.

Knock them for their availability…that’s one of the main reasons we suck.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

Bron isnt going anywhere by choice and we wont trade him. AD should have been moved in the off season. His value will never be what we paid but for us it was worth it for the bubble chip.

get draft capital and a solid player in return.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Why does LeBron and AD continue to get a pass?

RashardA wrote:
I've been a diehard Lakers fan for 35+ years.

I'm old enough to have witnessed multiple superstar, all-time great dynamic duos in the purple and gold.

Magic and Kareem, Kobe and Shaq, Kobe and Pau.

Magic and Kareem won 5 titles when they were the faces of the franchise.

Even when they weren't winning titles, they were almost always in contention.

In the playoffs, or in the finals.

Same for Shaq and Kobe.

They brought 3 STRAIGHT titles to LA.

Even when they didn't win the title, they were winning 50/60 + games every season.

Always in the playoffs or in the finals.

Infact, I'm pretty sure Shaq never missed the playoffs while in a Lakers uniform.

Fast forward to Kobe and Pau.

3 straight finals appearances and they won back to back.

Pau was traded to the Lakers in 2008 and the Lakers won the division in '08,'09,'10,'11'12.

If memory serves me correct, the Lakers never missed the playoffs while Pau was in a Lakers uniform.

That brings me to LeBron and AD.

Yes, they did win a championship.

However, you are lying to yourself if you say that championship is not as respected due to the circumstances in which they won it.

Why are excuses always made for them?

Why is the greatest franchise in the history of the game tolerating so much losing?

It's not just about the supporting cast.

YOU ARE WHO YOUR BEST PLAYERS ARE.

And more often than not, we are a LOSING TEAM.

What does that tell you?

I could not imagine this amount of consistent losing being tolerated or accepted during any other era when the Lakers had multiple superstars on the roster.

I don't know about others but I don't give them a pass. I recognize that the team won't always have a championship roster...but once a championship roster has been constructed, I do expect to compete for and win multiple titles because that is what I'm used to...having experienced it 3 times as a fan. Three times the Lakers created a championship roster and all three times the Lakers won multiple titles...this 4th time with AD/LBJ they only won 1. If I could go back in time and start over but had to trade AD and the championship to do it, I would trade AD for that championship to get back the young core and draft picks.

There may be many reasons but I believe one of the problems is the declined quality of the fanbase...it seems more of them in this current era are ok with losing and actually prefer a plan of losing now to prepare for the future instead of trying to win now because winning isn't as important as it should be to them and losing isn't as bad as it should be to them. Unless the prospect of winning is almost a guarantee they don't even want to try...they just accept losing as if the pain of losing isn't something to consider and the commitment to winning can be ignored.

I think that is why the FO was able to pass on Ty Lue after offering an insulting contract and give Pelinka an extension after his obvious failure, and sacrifice this season by waiting until the trade deadline before fixing the mess...the FO knew the fans wouldn't get in an uproar because they no longer put a priority on winning and are more acceptive to losing.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
If you’re holding it against them that they can’t stay healthy…fine they don’t get a pass. But you’re acting like they don’t produce like top 10 players when healthy.

They’re not available as often as we’d want them to be which is a BIG problem. But it’s not like they’re healthy and just stinking up the joint.

How many games the last two seasons have the Lakers had that they lost because of their inability to close?

Dozens.

Which is the difference between being a playoff team and fighting to just be a PLAY-IN TEAM.

Yes, not being available is a HUGE PROBLEM but it's not the ONLY reason this era has experienced so much consistent losing.

While they put up numbers it's not equating to WINNING.

Where are the wins?

Just a bunch of empty stats when it's all said and done.

When you add their constant injury issues + the fact they still seldom win even when they are playing and putting up stats, it makes this era even more troubling.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

How many games the last two seasons have the Lakers had that they lost because of their inability to close?

Dozens.

Which is the difference between being a playoff team and fighting to just be a PLAY-IN TEAM.

Yes, not being available is a HUGE PROBLEM but it's not the ONLY reason this era has experienced so much consistent losing.

Where are the wins?

When you add their constant injury issues + the fact they still seldom win even when they are playing and putting up stats, it makes this era even more troubling.

Originally, this thread was asking why AD and Lebron have gotten a pass for all the problems.

Now you’re just arguing for why you think they should receive a large amount of the blame. Honestly, that topic has pretty much been run into the ground in other threads.

You'll always find people who are happy to repeat their attacks and defenses of Lebron and AD, but this is a very tired and generic topic. If that's where you are going, I don't see why this needs to be a new thread.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Lebron has done his job. If anyone, AD is the one who has not been consistent. He may play well 1 or 2 games, and then he play soft and ineffective for a few games. And if he's not doing the aforementioned, it's because he's hurt.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I think they get a pass for two reasons (well 3 if you count Pelinka)

1. They won a chip. If they didnt woo boy I can only imagine the negative attention that they would get being in LA.

2. There have been a lot of superstar duo failures the past couple years that have taken the heat off of them. If Kawhi/PG or if KD/Kyrie were winning it would put the spotlight on Lebron/AD. But both of those failures were even bigger than ours AND none of them won a chip so its kind of lowered the bar in a sense.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject:

They shouldn’t get a pass.

You want the 2 star model? Your 2 stars have to be available.

And I would say the same about Kawhi/PG and Kyrie/KD too.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Lebron has done his job. If anyone, AD is the one who has not been consistent. He may play well 1 or 2 games, and then he play soft and ineffective for a few games. And if he's not doing the aforementioned, it's because he's hurt.

This. It's been on AD, and he seems to go through stretches where he doesn't care about defense. If I'm the coach, I'm telling him you can either sprint up the floor on defense or play center more often because you're too slow to play at PF.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Dozens.

Where are the wins?

And the trend continues.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject:

Lebron gets a pass because he's old, and yet still the best player on this Lakers team, by far. I don't fault him for injuries because he's high impact whenever he's on the court.

I give NO pass for Mr. Anthony Marshon Davis Jr. He's a highly talented player that is physically and mentally fragile and cannot be relied upon. That said, he's a solid 2nd option. His ills only become noticeable when he's called on to be a primary option. The other issue with Davis is that his peers tend to out play him (Joker, Greek, Joel, Kat). Even 2nd tier bigs are starting to outplay him (Randle, Bam, Sebonis, Ayton).

So, what's to do with AD? He gives you the good numbers, but he falters during "Winning time". Maybe pair him with an alpha (Kyrie, post Lebron era) and some decent role players?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject:

Lebron would be better if he realized that he should not be a 3 point chucker, if he got back on D, and if he didn't eat the shot clock up. I have enjoyed the ball movement while he has been out TBH. He is still our best player, but unfortunately that means little.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

Lebron and AD are routinely criticized on this board. People are routinely frustrated with their injuries and performance.

My sense is the only people who think they get "a pass" are their most extreme critics who want to roast them 24-7.

There are a small group of people on LG for whom Lebron and AD can do no right, and a small group for whom they can do no wrong. Those two groups seem to constantly be having strawman arguments with one another.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject:

Bron is making 50 mil next season. No one will say anything but anyone else will be crucified. Bron has gotten a pass since year 1 when he led us the lottery.

Ride this wave as long as we can this season and then move AD.

Btw- you can bet if we had a 4 month break starting now we would probably have a better chance when playoffs started.

No straw man here.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject:

A pass on what? Lebron is old, AD is an injury prone second banana, that is what we signed up for. Their window was 1.5-2 years and they got a Mickey Mouse trophy out of it. I haven’t expected them to be in the running for a trophy the past couple of seasons so they haven’t disappointed me. They sell tickets and the organization makes money so ownership is happy. I won’t criticize the pair because they are giving pretty much what I expect.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A pass on what? Lebron is old, AD is an injury prone second banana, that is what we signed up for. Their window was 1.5-2 years and they got a Mickey Mouse trophy out of it. I haven’t expected them to be in the running for a trophy the past couple of seasons so they haven’t disappointed me. They sell tickets and the organization makes money so ownership is happy. I won’t criticize the pair because they are giving pretty much what I expect.

maybe you expected it but you cant pay a guy 50m and expect anything less than competing which we havent done for 4 of his 5 years here.

Bron has value in being our bridge to the future. Trade AD and let bron tutor the hopefully young players and picks we get in return.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

First of all I am paying $0 for Lebron, what him and the FO work out between them is their business. I was happy when he came here but assumed that we might get 2-3 top post-prime years from him and we have. I don’t expect a 38 yo player to be a top 10 player in the league, it is a young man’s game. I would like to see the team win more but expected around 38 wins this season and that is still doable.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
First of all I am paying $0 for Lebron, what him and the FO work out between them is their business. I was happy when he came here but assumed that we might get 2-3 top post-prime years from him and we have. I don’t expect a 38 yo player to be a top 10 player in the league, it is a young man’s game. I would like to see the team win more but expected around 38 wins this season and that is still doable.

You aren't paying zero... if you are a fan you are paying with your time.

Older fans might not see a title again if the team is totally mismanaged.

Remember when Fred Claire took over, the Dodgers didn't win for 32 years.

In 32 years I will either be dead or most likely too old to enjoy what's happening.

So sure we don't spend much of our money other than cable or tickets... but if you have time invested... you don't want amateur GMs f*cking up your team either.

I don't blame LBJ and AD for getting old or injured... but I blame them for interfering with the team building.

If they stay out of it and do their best, I will enjoy next year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: