Why does LeBron and AD continue to get a pass?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject:

I watch the Golden Knights first, then the Blues and then the NBA. And I’m a Cardinals fan so I haven’t had the drought that the Dodgers had.

More important to me than Lebron/AD is ownership. If the organization sinks it will be because of them.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I watch the Golden Knights first, then the Blues and then the NBA. And I’m a Cardinals fan so I haven’t had the drought that the Dodgers had.

More important to me than Lebron/AD is ownership. If the organization sinks it will be because of them.

It's crazy to me that you have 142 thousand posts on your third or fourth favorite team.

If I go to the Golden Knights or Blues board will I see a half million posts from someone?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

You are making an assumption on favorite team, hockey is just more interesting to watch than the NBA.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
You are making an assumption on favorite team, hockey is just more interesting to watch than the NBA.

Well that's the closest you've come to saying "I love the Lakers" so I'll just take it as that then.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

Like you I’ve been a Laker fan since the 70’s.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Like you I’ve been a Laker fan since the 70’s.

You should show it more often, then you won't get those people calling you a Clippers fan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Bron is making 50 mil next season. No one will say anything but anyone else will be crucified. Bron has gotten a pass since year 1 when he led us the lottery.

Ride this wave as long as we can this season and then move AD.

Btw- you can bet if we had a 4 month break starting now we would probably have a better chance when playoffs started.

No straw man here.

That's what I'd expect from the leader of the "Lebron can do no right" gang and LG's top purveyor of strawman arguments.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Well they won one more title than I expected them to. I'm not surprised Laker fans have not appreciated them more than other players that were drafted with the team or spent years playing for the franchise before they finally broke thru.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Well they won one more title than I expected them to. I'm not surprised Laker fans have not appreciated them more than other players that were drafted with the team or spent years playing for the franchise before they finally broke thru.

I don’t think it has anything to do with draft. Results. The bubble title is great but beyond that we have been terrible. However new players bring energy and have pushed us with AD.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A pass on what? Lebron is old, AD is an injury prone second banana, that is what we signed up for. Their window was 1.5-2 years and they got a Mickey Mouse trophy out of it. I haven’t expected them to be in the running for a trophy the past couple of seasons so they haven’t disappointed me. They sell tickets and the organization makes money so ownership is happy. I won’t criticize the pair because they are giving pretty much what I expect.

Harsh, but oddly accurate.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A pass on what? Lebron is old, AD is an injury prone second banana, that is what we signed up for. Their window was 1.5-2 years and they got a Mickey Mouse trophy out of it. I haven’t expected them to be in the running for a trophy the past couple of seasons so they haven’t disappointed me. They sell tickets and the organization makes money so ownership is happy. I won’t criticize the pair because they are giving pretty much what I expect.

Except for the "Mickey Mouse" title part - on that he's entirely wrong, the title was arguably tougher than a normal title in particular due to Kobe's passing. But since it has been litigated endlessly elsewhere I'm not going to bother re-hashing it all over again here.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Except for the "Mickey Mouse" title part - on that he's entirely wrong, the title was arguably tougher than a normal title in particular due to Kobe's passing. But since it has been litigated endlessly elsewhere I'm not going to bother re-hashing it all over again here.

It's the stuff like "mickey mouse" that makes me not like him (VCF). If the Clippers had won that year, he would praising every Clipper he could.

Hubie Brown voice ***no doubt about it!***

Last edited by defense on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

did they play Mickey Mouse for the ring? if not, it is a legit ring. don't let the clipper fan fool you. they choked even in Disneyland.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

did they play Mickey Mouse for the ring? if not, it is a legit ring. don't let the clipper fan fool you. they choked even in Disneyland.

You have a group of fans here who, basically, want to pretend we didn't win the title because it's inconvenient to the narrative they want to push.

That's a sure sign that someone is just BSing -- they try to change reality to fit their narrative, rather than embrace a narrative that includes reality.

My view is pretty simple. Lebron and AD won a title that is just as valid as any other title in NBA history. If someone thinks the title is lesser in some way, I don't want to waste time listening to them.

Since the title, Lebron and AD have suffered lots of injuries, missed lots of games, and they may not have any more success from this point forward.

The recent (and possibly future) bad doesn't erase the past success. Again, that's just a narrative pushed by people who take a black-and-white view and want to pretend everything has been black during the Lebron/AD era.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I get the Blues and Cardinals angle as same city and maybe you grew up in St. Louis. Golden Knights is weird though as they are really new and from Vegas.....hell why not be a Kings fan then seeing as they are LA and were owned by Jerry Buss at one point and they have built consistent winners since the Kopitar/Doughty era (and more likely than any of the LA teams to win it all again this year - LA Kings this year look extremely deadly and are more talented than either 2012 or 2014 with the same hard hat mentality from years past).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You have a group of fans here who, basically, want to pretend we didn't win the title because it's inconvenient to the narrative they want to push.

That's a sure sign that someone is just BSing -- they try to change reality to fit their narrative, rather than embrace a narrative that includes reality.

My view is pretty simple. Lebron and AD won a title that is just as valid as any other title in NBA history. If someone thinks the title is lesser in some way, I don't want to waste time listening to them.

Since the title, Lebron and AD have suffered lots of injuries, missed lots of games, and they may not have any more success from this point forward.

The recent (and possibly future) bad doesn't erase the past success. Again, that's just a narrative pushed by people who take a black-and-white view and want to pretend everything has been black during the Lebron/AD era.

nope. The universal term by the media, players etc is "Bubble title." Im sure some could argue the difficulty compared to others but that's debatable. especially now that we see bron/AD are unable to stay healthy for a traditional season. Even the year prior to AD bron broke down. Other players are on record of saying it was like a scrimmage, didn't want to be there etc. Like the Heat we were lucky to have coaches that embraced it while others were lackadaisical.

I don't agree with Mickey mouse, but because it was in Orlando I have heard it. we all acknowledge and count it, but to say it wasn't astericked is a little funny.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

nope. The universal term by the media, players etc is "Bubble title." Im sure some could argue the difficulty compared to others but that's debatable. especially now that we see bron/AD are unable to stay healthy for a traditional season. Even the year prior to AD bron broke down. Other players are on record of saying it was like a scrimmage, didn't want to be there etc. Like the Heat we were lucky to have coaches that embraced it while others were lackadaisical.

I don't agree with Mickey mouse, but because it was in Orlando I have heard it. we all acknowledge and count it, but to say it wasn't astericked is a little funny.

asterick as one of the toughest environment ever to be competed in? live in a closed loop for 3 months, can't see families, can't have normal life. i would argue you have to be mentally strong. Also the fact AD broke down the following year had a lot to do with playing in the Bubble for so long that his body didn't have time to recover. as i recall, AD and Lebron didn't have any injuries before they shut down the league, and we lost HCA all the way.
was there a big asterisk on the spurs title in 1999? the Raptors title in 2019? you know they have zero chance of beating the warriors if KD and Klay didn't get hurt. Lakers played everyone at their full health until the finals.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

asterick as one of the toughest environment ever to be competed in? live in a closed loop for 3 months, can't see families, can't have normal life. i would argue you have to be mentally strong. Also the fact AD broke down the following year had a lot to do with playing in the Bubble for so long that his body didn't have time to recover. as i recall, AD and Lebron didn't have any injuries before they shut down the league, and we lost HCA all the way.
was there a big asterisk on the spurs title in 1999? the Raptors title in 2019? you know they have zero chance of beating the warriors if KD and Klay didn't get hurt. Lakers played everyone at their full health until the finals.

How has bron and AD done without bubble? I don't care about teams being injured. Thats history. The bubble was different. No travel, no crowd 4 month break. We can say whatever we want about that season. facts are without bubble, bron and AD are broken.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How has bron and AD done without bubble? I don't care about teams being injured. Thats history. The bubble was different. No travel, no crowd 4 month break. We can say whatever we want about that season. facts are without bubble, bron and AD are broken.

if AD and Lebron didn't break down at the time of the covid break, why would i assume they would broke down?
the injuries to AD the following season was largely due to the bubble. Lebron was because Soloman hill fell on his ankle. also AD never had a serious injury before 2021, can you argue the bubble broke him?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We can literally put an asterisk on most title runs. Hell even 2001, I even heard things like, "oh my goodness, maybe Derek Anderson could have made a difference to provide that 3rd scorer and guard Kobe"

2008 - Bynum/Ariza injury
2009 - what if Garnett was healthy?
2010 - what if Perkins was healthy?
2011 - what if Gasol didnt go through his personal issues and Shaq was healthy
2012 - Lockout year
2013 - Thunder out with Westbrook/Beverley injury
2014 - Nothing here
2015 - Love and Kyrie
2016 - Draymond
2017 - Nothing here
2018 - Nothing here
2019 - KD and Klay
2020 - Bubble
2021 - AD's injury
2022 - Nothing here

Like give me a break.....
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

For the record, I didn't mean the "mickey mouse" part was accurate. A title is a title. Doesn't matter where you play, you are still playing the best team from the other division.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject:

There's the Friedman Dodgers and the Fred Claire Dodgers... if you can't see the difference between fluking the 88 title and winning the 2020 title, I don't know what to say.

The 88 title is as legit as any other title... but if you compare the Garvey/Lopes/Russell/Cey teams or Friedman's teams to the wilderness that followed the 88 title there is no comparison.

The bubble title is a legit title... however, the complaint from a vocal minority like myself was that we gave up too much depth to acquire AD.

We by some miracle were able to acquire not one but two Hall of Fame talents for the league minimum and we were able to rest the old LBJ and the injury prone AD because of the five month break and that helped us win a title that would have been unlikely without the rest.

So yes, we could again try to have three star team with no depth and if we acquired two aging future Hall of Fame talents for the minimum... like say if Klay and Draymond fell into our laps next year and Silver decides instead of allowing load management we have a five month break before the playoffs... then we can again trade our depth away and have success again.

It was dumb to trade all our depth... just like it would be dumb if we do it again this year for Kyrie.

And if we won a title... some people here would say how smart it was by virtue of the fact that we won without admitting how lucky we were for those convergences of events.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We can literally put an asterisk on most title runs. Hell even 2001, I even heard things like, "oh my goodness, maybe Derek Anderson could have made a difference to provide that 3rd scorer and guard Kobe"

2012 - Lockout year
2014 - Nothing here
2015 - Love and Kyrie
2016 - Draymond
2017 - Nothing here
2018 - Nothing here
2019 - KD and Klay
2020 - Bubble
2021 - AD's injury
2022 - Nothing here

unfortunately, injuries are historically part of the equation. A once-in-a-lifetime event where 2 guys who haven't proven they can stay healthy and compete without it is something else. Its great we got to hang it up and tie the Celtics.

Hopefully, this year we win another.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
troy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

2012 - Lockout year
2014 - Nothing here
2015 - Love and Kyrie
2016 - Draymond
2017 - Nothing here
2018 - Nothing here
2019 - KD and Klay
2020 - Bubble
2021 - AD's injury
2022 - Nothing here

unfortunately, injuries are historically part of the equation. A once-in-a-lifetime event where 2 guys who haven't proven they can stay healthy and compete without it is something else. Its great we got to hang it up and tie the Celtics.

Hopefully, this year we win another.

you are using the events happened after to prove something that didn't happen at the time. both of them played majority of 2020, and i have no reason to believe they would just suddenly break down.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

If someone wants to "asterisk" the title to mean that it was achieved in unusual circumstances, that's fine.

If someone wants to "asterisk" the title to mean it is a lesser accomplishment, we part company. I find those people a complete waste of time to listen to.

As you note, virtually every title in NBA history has been given as asterisk by someone who didn't like the outcome. No one really cares. A title is a title is a title.

Anyway, I have had my say, and now this thread looks like it is turning into the trolls staring into the mirror and yelling "We won!" at their own reflections while everyone else yawns. So I will go my way and let this thread descend into the oblivion it deserves to die an unmourned and unnoticed death.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: