Will Westbrook on the Clippers help or hurt them?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I already said this several times but you don't want a motivated Westbrook on a team that has beaten us 80% of the time over the last ten years.

The Clippers need a playmaker, they have shooting... they have perimeter defenders to offset Russ's lazy defense... this isn't good for us.

Over time... sure Russ will likely poison the team.

Or maybe he's finally had his Dwight/Carmelo epiphany and will behave for awhile.

But meanwhile Russ will carve up DLo and Mo Bamba.

Our main hope is that Kawhi gets hurt again.

Ive actually been telling this to all my friends today. Russ is a great fit for the clippers. I would not want to play the clippers if im the Lakers in the first round if that were to happen. Russ is going to get his revenge on us for the way we treated him. I hope im wrong....
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
I already said this several times but you don't want a motivated Westbrook on a team that has beaten us 80% of the time over the last ten years.

The Clippers need a playmaker, they have shooting... they have perimeter defenders to offset Russ's lazy defense... this isn't good for us.

Or maybe he's finally had his Dwight/Carmelo epiphany and will behave for awhile.

Ive actually been telling this to all my friends today. Russ is a great fit for the clippers. I would not want to play the clippers if im the Lakers in the first round if that were to happen. Russ is going to get his revenge on us for the way we treated him. I hope im wrong....

They won’t as long as Lebron will give it all at the other end. I think Vando will give him fits . However it’s mutually beneficial for the Clips and Russ to be together overall. He can facilitate and you added Plumlee to be another facilitator from the post, that’s like another dimension that the Clips need.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigJosh951 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Same BS that was typed when we got him. He will NEVER be motivated enough to humble himself. Which is what would be needed in order for him to mesh over there.

Then they release him. He has spoken with Lue and Franks, he knows what is expected.

I am sure Lue and Franks will be the ones to finally get him to humble himself And no (bleep) they can just release him. But that was not what I was replying to. I was replying to someone saying this is "bad for us" for some reason. Clippers without him scare me more.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Unlike bron and ad. Pg actually played with Russ so him wanting him means something
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers are pretty well constructed to fit Russell’s game, and I expect Lue to do a better job than Frank or Ham integrating him, especially since Russ will have to buy in to get on the floor. But that’s all about maximizing Russ, not maximizing the Clippers. Mann and Powell have been playing great, Gordon can work on ball and shoot. George and Kawhi need the ball.

To that end, I expect Russ to look better and the Clippers to look worse. That’s going to be important for Russ who gave up his bird rights.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I don’t think that we treated Russ poorly
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I think Brick will help the Clips. He realizes that he almost has a fresh start and can audition to get another money grab (although it clearly will not be as robust as his last heist).
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
logical24 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I don’t think that we treated Russ poorly

I don’t think we did either. It did cost Vogel his job . We did our best to accommodate him. Unfortunately having him and Lebron is just counterproductive.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Unless Russ morphs into an NBA player that can shooter you won't need hope...you'll just be wrong.

#BannersOverBillboards

Last edited by CervantesRises on Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
The Clippers are pretty well constructed to fit Russell’s game, and I expect Lue to do a better job than Frank or Ham integrating him, especially since Russ will have to buy in to get on the floor. But that’s all about maximizing Russ, not maximizing the Clippers. Mann and Powell have been playing great, Gordon can work on ball and shoot. George and Kawhi need the ball.

To that end, I expect Russ to look better and the Clippers to look worse. That’s going to be important for Russ who gave up his bird rights.

Phil Arbach Lombardi couldn't integrate a turnover prone player who can't shoot and refuses to play defense or be held accountable.

How many times does this guy have to fail before you believe what your eyes tell you?

#BannersOverBillboards
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Clips need someone to facilitate. George plays better as secondary playmaker and Kawhi getting that ball in his sweet spots. Those 2 are more efficient when they see the opening than creating one. That’s maximizing the Clips.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Phil Arbach Lombardi couldn't integrate a turnover prone player who can't shoot and refuses to play defense or be held accountable.

How many times does this guy have to fail before you believe what your eyes tell you?

Did he fail when going to the Finals with OKC? Or when his Houston teams were in the playoffs? Or when he led a bad Wizards team to the playoffs? Washington didn’t want to trade Russ, it took a FRP to get him. Agree that the trio of Russ, Lebron and AD failed.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject:

The IDEA of Westbrook is so much better than the ACTUAL Westbrook.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Maybe in the regular season. Playoffs just leave him wide open at the 3 point line and let the man shoot his bricks. He can't play in a half court offense and he can't run in the playoffs. Can't wait to see all these bricks for the Flippers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject:

BEazy wrote:
Maybe in the regular season. Playoffs just leave him wide open at the 3 point line and let the man shoot his bricks. He can't play in a half court offense and he can't run in the playoffs. Can't wait to see all these bricks for the Flippers.

If that becomes an issue he won’t be on the floor.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Did he fail when going to the Finals with OKC? Or when his Houston teams were in the playoffs? Or when he led a bad Wizards team to the playoffs? Washington didn’t want to trade Russ, it took a FRP to get him. Agree that the trio of Russ, Lebron and AD failed.

Yes.

Yes he did.

I believe all Vogel had to do was let him shoot.

Championship or failure is how Champions think...I thought you'd know that by now with no championships on Slipper nights at the arena.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Clips need someone to facilitate. George plays better as secondary playmaker and Kawhi getting that ball in his sweet spots. Those 2 are more efficient when they see the opening than creating one. That’s maximizing the Clips.

Now explain how Russ at the 3 line being guarded by a center in the paint opens up opportunities for KL and PaulinaG.

#BannersOverBillboards
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Will he become a better shooter? No

Will he become a better team and individual defender? No

Will he still take bad shots? Yes

Will he still commit timely and costly turnovers? Most likely yes

Will he be out there at the end of games? Most likely not

Will he be happy about that? No

Good luck to them.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Clippers better roster and better coach… I can see it working because of those and the fact that Russ has shown that he can come off the bench. Clippers also can play both sides of the ball. They are also better equipped to survive if one of Kawhi and PG misses games.

Russ and Lue are motivated to get this done. Lakers FO related.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Now explain how Russ at the 3 line being guarded by a center in the paint opens up opportunities for KL and PaulinaG.

Lol I don’t think opposing teams will park the paint like they did against us. They can sag of Westbrook and minimize Lebron and AD as spot up jumpshootets but they can’t with PG and Kawhi, Overall, I think Westbrook did a good job off the bench on our team.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Kawhi/PG are different players than Lebron/AD… Those 2 guys are better shooters and with better mid range. Russ preserves Kawhi here I think even more. Kawhi also does not handle the ball as much as Lebron which took away from Russ.

The Clippers biggest need is a pg playmaker. That’s what Russ provides. What Russ provided us is much needed with the Clips because we had playmakers outside of Russ. Clippers are also a better defensive team which will cover a lot of Russ issues on the Lakers.

At the end for the price, he is worth a look. Lue will not allow Russ to tank his team and will just sit him if it happens. Low risk high reward move for them.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Ty Lue is a great offensive mind and Russ's defense on ball has been great. Not sure how it will play out for the Clippers but I definitely think they're a better team if Ty Lue can manage Russ's expectations.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject:

One of the elements of how badly the Russ experience went was ownership's lack of willingness to pay for a roster around their three max players. They went half way in, agreeing to a large tax bill but not doing what it would take to have depth on the team. As a result, the Lakers needed Russ to be a legitimate star, which of course he wasn't anymore. He was always going to be blamed for the production he cost in trade, especially given how poor his attitude was. But the party who was actually to blame for that was ownership.

None of those issues exist for the Clippers, who have spent excessively on a roster, and get Russ at a minimum deal. They have lived in the wake of our failures, which has been part comical, part rewarding since we have made so many blunders (Lue, Zubac, George, West, Morris). Hopefully Russ is the last of our self inflicted wounds (I do see Kyrie hanging out there though ), and we will stop feeding the Clippers opportunity.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ty Lue is a great offensive mind

word?
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Ive heard it all now

Russ is going to unlock PG and Kawhi. PG and Kawhi are BETTER off ball...

Russ is "great" on ball defense.

Man some of you I really want what you're smoking.

The truth is every possession that the ball is in Russ's hands and not Kawhi or PG is a win for whoever the opposition is. The same was true for us and every superstar hes every played with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: