Lakers Making the play-in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we make the playoffs?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 64 ]
No
29%
 29%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 91

DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Lakers Making the play-in?

Are we going to make it? Consensus is NO for some reason.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

I don’t think so because I have zero confidence Lebron/AD play at least 20 of the 23 games together..

Edit: top 6 is unattainable imo

This should be “will they make play-in?”
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

I have them as 6/7/8 seed if Bron and AD don't miss anymore games. But we know they will so probably a 9/10 seed. Can't see them winning 2 elimination games when the potential opponents are:

GSW with Steph healthy
Dallas with Luka and Kyrie healthy
NO with Zion healthy
Minnesota with KAT healthy
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

If LBJ and AD are not hurt and legitimately try to win, we shall make the playoffs.

I personally hope we get the tenth seed so our pick is as high as possible.

If LBJ is doing some weird sh*t like tanking so Rob is pressured to trade for Kyrie... or he's injured then all I can do is hope that Pelicans also don't make the play in so we get a great pick.

But talent wise... this team should make the play in.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject:

I think this might be one of the most underrated teams in the NBA right now. They just need to develop a little chemistry.

I know LBJ just said this is the most important regular season games of his career. I don't think it's that serious, they have to get a ton of w's; but they will get them and they will be a nightmare in the playoffs
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers go 17-6, then I think they could be the #6 seed.

I don't see any team 9-12 that will get to 44 wins. Dallas (#6), at 31-29, or Minnesota (#8), at 31-30, have the best opportunity to get there. Dallas needs to go 13-9 and Minnesota needs to go 13-8. Entirely possible for both teams, but I think Towns' return will disrupt the Wolves' newfound chemistry (15-9 in their last 24 games) and Dallas will be closer to .500 with their defensive woes.

I don't think the Pelicans (#7), at 30-29, will finish the season strong. They've been severely struggling without Zion.

I think 14-9 (final record of 41-41) gets the Lakers into the play-in tournament, though it's hard to say in which seed. It's just so bunched up. I think quite a few West teams will finish around 41-41, so tiebreakers may play a significant factor.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Making the play-in?

DrWolf wrote:
Are we going to make it? Consensus is NO for some reason.

As always, that will depend on the health and productivity of Lebron and AD. I see no reason why they can't perform at a level that gets us into the play-ins. Personally, I am more interested if the Lakers can pull it together enough to do something in the playoffs. If all they do is make the play-ins and get to the first round and lose, I wouldn't consider that a signifcant accomplishment.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:

I don't see any team 9-12 that will get to 44 wins. Dallas (#6), at 31-29, or Minnesota (#8), at 31-30, have the best opportunity to get there. Dallas needs to go 13-9 and Minnesota needs to go 13-8. Entirely possible for both teams, but I think Towns' return will disrupt the Wolves' newfound chemistry (15-9 in their last 24 games) and Dallas will be closer to .500 with their defensive woes.

I don't think the Pelicans (#7), at 30-29, will finish the season strong. They've been severely struggling without Zion.

I think 14-9 (final record of 41-41) gets the Lakers into the play-in tournament, though it's hard to say in which seed. It's just so bunched up. I think quite a few West teams will finish around 41-41, so tiebreakers may play a significant factor.

BTW - How much fun would it be if the Lakers got the 6th seed and played the Kings in the 1st round? After the Kings' historic playoff drought, it would be quite the story for their playoff return if our rivalry was reignited.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

BTW - How much fun would it be if the Lakers got the 6th seed and played the Kings in the 1st round? After the Kings' historic playoff drought, it would be quite the story for their playoff return if our rivalry was reignited.

I want to see the Clippers and Phoenix battle in the fourth and fifth spot so it knocks one of them out.

If we are in the sixth or seventh position and somehow dodge those teams until the WCF, our chances become much better.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

Nah. Not enough time for the new additions to gel plus every game has added pressure.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

Voted yes…it’s gonna be a challenge though and will likely make the playoffs with play in victories.

The Lakers have two games left against several teams they need to pass in order to make the play in…OKC, Minny, Utah, GSW, Dallas. They don’t have any more head to head with Portland and that may be a problem but they do have a single game against the Pels. Aside from a total of 4 potentially tough games against Phoenix/Memphis, the rest of the schedule is mostly against losing teams.

Based on the overall schedule strength, the multiple games against opponents needed to pass, and the upgraded roster, I expect the Lakers to make at least the plan in and then win the necessary game(s) to make the playoffs.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I am voting “yes” with my heart.

But they will need to play with a consistency they have not shown all season.

For multiple games they will need to play with a level of intensity and efficiency they have only shown in occasional quarters so far. I am hoping the new roster additions and some sense of urgency can contribute to the multiple wins it is going to take to just get into the play-in games.

Let me see that before I start thinking they can compete with top seeds if they can make it to the playoffs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I hate to say it but its probably a no. I hope I'm wrong though.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I voted no because I’m done giving them the benefit of the doubt, they need to show me.

But if they do make the play-in/ playoffs, they will be one of the hottest teams rolling in to the post season.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject:

I say no... They put themselves in too big of a hole, and LeBron and AD miss too many games. I love the moves they made at the deadline, but I just feel there are not enough games left to get back in it.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Adding my post from the 17-6 thread:

Quote:
Last 23 Games Schedule:

Golden State
@Dallas
@Memphis
@OKC
Minnesota
Golden State
Memphis
Toronto
New York
@New Orleans
@Houston
Dallas
Orlando
Phoenix
OKC
Chicago
@Chicago
@Minnesota
@Houston
@Utah
@Clippers
Phoenix
Utah

Additional Info:
— 13 Home/10 Road
— 1 Back-to-Back
— 3 Two-Day Breaks (opportunities to practice)
— A 3-game road trip, 2-game road trip, and 5-game road trip

The Lakers have been .500 at home on the season (12-9 since the 2-10 start, in which the Lakers went 2-5 at home) and poor on the road, going 13-18 on the season (though 13-13 since the 2-10 start, in which the Lakers went 0-5 on the road), so to go 17-6, I think they'll have to go 11-2 at home and 6-4 on the road.

Let's examine deeper:

EASY: Golden State (No Steph), Toronto, @Houston, Orlando, Chicago, @Chicago, @Houston

The Lakers have arguably 7 easy games. 4 Home/3 Road. The Lakers need to sweep or go 6-1 in these games. They can't lose to Golden State because that'd be a standings killer.

MEDIUM: @Dallas, @OKC, Minnesota, New York, @New Orleans, Dallas, OKC, @Minnesota, @Utah, Utah

The Lakers have 10 games against teams that are arguably average to above-average. 5 Home/5 Away. 4 Home/Aways against Dallas, Minnesota, OKC, and Utah. These games, in addition to the one against New Orleans, are also KEY GAMES. The Lakers will be battling for a 5th-10th spot against these 5 teams. Can the Lakers beat New Orleans and sweep 2 of Dallas, Minnesota, OKC, and Utah and split against the other 2 teams? That would be MASSIVE. Two wins against any one of these teams would create a huge swing in the standings, possibly catapulting the Lakers above them.

HARD: @Memphis, Golden State (with Steph), Memphis, Phoenix, @Clippers, Phoenix

The Lakers have arguably 6 difficult games remaining. 4 Home/2 Away. I like the tilt towards home games, but two of those home games will likely be against a Suns team with Kevin Durant that is looking to build chemistry. If the Lakers go 3-3 in these 6 games, I'd consider that a win.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, no. It may be an injury to Lebron or AD, or just the team not playing well as a cohesive unit, or just other teams playing extra hard to keep Lebron and Lakers out of the post season. I guarantee you, the competitive teams won't rest key players against us. I just don't see a playin happening.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I don’t think so because I have zero confidence Lebron/AD play at least 20 of the 23 games together..

Edit: top 6 is unattainable imo

This should be “will they make play-in?”

Or can they make the play in. I think that the 9th seed is possible but with 4-6 teams ahead of them, it isn’t something I would bet on. That is the tough part, not the number of games behind.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I have zero doubt that they’re making it. The league keeps adding more lakers games to the national schedule, they NEED the Lakers there. I can’t imagine the drama if the Lakers missed it by a game and people could point to those late non calls against Dallas or Boston and whatever.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I have my doubts, but I gotta vote "Yes". Voting for what I'm hoping for, not what's most likely considering the hole this team dug itself into early on.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Outside of us being just demoralized by injuries down the stretch i'd be shocked if they didn't make at minimum the play-in.. I have us getting the 6-8 seed personally. I think they can even survive some missed games by AD and Bron as long as it's nothing serious.

The stats/record pre-trade deadline are irrelevant imo as this current team is completely different and we have finally cut off the cancerous growth and kicked him across the hall to the knockoff LA team.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Nope. We're gunning for the 6th seed baby!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject:

We beat the Warriors and the vote goes to 90% "will make the playoffs"

That's how we roll at LG

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I have zero doubt that they’re making it. The league keeps adding more lakers games to the national schedule, they NEED the Lakers there. I can’t imagine the drama if the Lakers missed it by a game and people could point to those late non calls against Dallas or Boston and whatever.

If they do miss the playoffs I really do not want to hear the narrative of how the “refs screwed them out of the playoffs” in those select games.

Yes, those bad calls lost them games. But this team has squandered way too many leads, played uninspired, and lost games all on their own all season long.

Up to the players on the court now. No more excuses or posturing in the media.

Just win games!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

If they do miss the playoffs I really do not want to hear the narrative of how the “refs screwed them out of the playoffs” in those select games.

Yes, those bad calls lost them games. But this team has squandered way too many leads, played uninspired, and lost games all on their own all season long.

Up to the players on the court now. No more excuses or posturing in the media.

Just win games!

You are correct that the “ref screwed us” is a lame excuse as those things even out over the course of 82 games and many of those games the Lakers shouldn’t have been in that situation.

What people are afraid to admit is our 2 stars can’t handle the NBA 82 game grind, whether it’s injury or availability. If it wasn’t for the COVID, you could say that for the 4 seasons they have been together, they haven’t proven they can guide a team for a full 82 + playoff run. This is why I oppose the 2 star model if the stars availability is this volatile. Looking back, one could make the argument that Cleveland actually cut ties with Lebron at the right time as he even got hurt his first season as a Laker. If there was no break in 2019-20, it’s possible that the “Cavs let him go at the right time” narrative would be all over social media.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: