DB, Awesome Job on the Update To The Site!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject:

This was needed ages ago. Great change!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject:

One thing I noticed is threads aren't being updated as "read" after you've clicked them or posted in them. They still show up as gold on the left
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Just an FYI: I was unable to log into this site for the last two days. I had to clear the cookies for this site in order to log back in tonight.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Just an FYI: I was unable to log into this site for the last two days. I had to clear the cookies for this site in order to log back in tonight.

Thanks for clearing that up. Was having trouble with Chrome but it worked with Edge. I hardly use the latter thus probably no cookies.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Was having trouble with Chrome but it worked with Edge. I hardly use the latter thus probably no cookies.

I'm having exactly the opposite problem. Clearing cookies in Edge did not fix the problem. It works fine in Chrome and on my iPad, though.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject:

too soon
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject:

At one point it didn't work on Firefox, Chrome, or my iphone browser
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject:

is it over
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

The game thread was flawless. There's probably more work to do. Let us know when the updates are completed. The site is moving faster than it ever has. The updates are working.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

I think we got some major hitches taken care of that have been slowing things down.
SiteWork
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject:

At this point, I would say that Phase 1 of the update is done.

We have migrated from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.4, which required updating the core of phpbb2. Those updates knocked out a few features for a while until we were able to restore them. Next, we chased down any bad code or errors reported by the server related to the PHP update.

After reviewing the errors, we standardized the subdomain/URL structure and forced HTTPS and all requests to the "www" version. This created some issues with the cookies which caused several browsers to not allow people to log in to the site. The main cookie was renamed to clear this issue.

At that time we thought we had caught everything as Friday's game ran smoothly. Then the sluggishness returned and bogged down Sunday's game.

We went back to the logs and traffic reports to discover that several bots were calling bad code and being rather aggressive in requesting URLs. They weren't spam bots just some that were enthusiastic about gathering pages from the site to the tune of 75,000 sessions a day. They have been banned now and the code that was crashing PHP and mySQL has been hidden from requests. Bot sessions are down 75%+.

Server stats held steady with the game traffic last night and are currently staying in the high-performance zone.

What's next: Now that the server is on PHP 7.4 we should be able to experiment more with phpbb3.x and start to work on upgrading the site to the most current version. This will dramatically change the look and feel of the site but also add much-needed mobile responsive features.

LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject:

SiteWork wrote:

We have migrated from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.4, which required updating the core of phpbb2. Those updates knocked out a few features for a while until we were able to restore them. Next, we chased down any bad code or errors reported by the server related to the PHP update.

After reviewing the errors, we standardized the subdomain/URL structure and forced HTTPS and all requests to the "www" version. This created some issues with the cookies which caused several browsers to not allow people to log in to the site. The main cookie was renamed to clear this issue.

At that time we thought we had caught everything as Friday's game ran smoothly. Then the sluggishness returned and bogged down Sunday's game.

We went back to the logs and traffic reports to discover that several bots were calling bad code and being rather aggressive in requesting URLs. They weren't spam bots just some that were enthusiastic about gathering pages from the site to the tune of 75,000 sessions a day. They have been banned now and the code that was crashing PHP and mySQL has been hidden from requests. Bot sessions are down 75%+.

Server stats held steady with the game traffic last night and are currently staying in the high-performance zone.

What's next: Now that the server is on PHP 7.4 we should be able to experiment more with phpbb3.x and start to work on upgrading the site to the most current version. This will dramatically change the look and feel of the site but also add much-needed mobile responsive features.

Thank the maker! A mobile version!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject:

SiteWork wrote:

Any way to surmise what the bots were gathering data for? Sentiment analysis for betting? Advertising?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

I have no idea what PHP 7.4, phpbb2, and HTTPS functions are. I'm relying on the expertise of DB and site staff. I expect there's more to be done. The entire site is moving faster. The game thread was quick as a cat. Good job DB and staff. If Dlo plays Friday I hope his ankle performs as well as the site. 👍🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I can't access the moderator control panel. Just loops me back to the index.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Oh no. What happened to the images? I posted this and it just shows a link.

https://tenor.com/view/austin-reaves-austin-reaves-basketball-nba-gif-24794530
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Definitely.. so fast it is better than Fentanyl or Crack now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: