New 3 guard lineup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: New 3 guard lineup

What can you say about this 3 guard line up that Ham use?

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

They played pretty good earlier, do you think Ham should continue fielding this lineup?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject:

You go small to get speed and skill/shooting on the court. It actually happens with this lineup.

It helps that D'lo and AR aren't midgets.

I thought that the key to the runs was out pacing them once they cooled off from the perimeter. They were still bigger than us when we went big so going skilled was a good change up that worked well enough although they just shot over the defense for large chunks of the game.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:59 pm    Post subject:

It should fare well against most teams, except Clippers/Celtics where their main guys are wings.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject:

Better than any other 3 guard lineup we can put out there IMO - but it is matchup dependent.

Fantastic game against the Raptors.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

They played pretty good earlier, do you think Ham should continue fielding this lineup?

This only worked because Dlo and Reaves were on fire. Other wise it doesn't need ot happen. Why do you need DS out there when you already have Dlo who controls the ball better?

Think about it.

We have had 2 games where we completely pwn the opponent. When Beasley & Dlo went bunkers from 3 on their 3rd game here I believe and last night with Reaves & dLo. Its all about their efficiency..Not the 3 guard line up though Dennis has played terrific and thats taking into consideration his bad offensive stats. I am happy with what he is doing except sometimes dribbling side to side.

But yeah I don't want to see it.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject:

Dennis, AR and DLo had an incredible offensive night as a collective.
I don't see this happening too often. But I think we needed this lineup because of Toronto length and the way were preventing AD from getting shots.
DLo was having trouble trying to guard Barnes on the other end.
Fortunately the Lakers offense was awesome tonight.

I don't think we see much of this when Lebron gets back.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject:

3 guard lineup with Westbrook/Bev/Schroeder = three below average shooters that are small for their position

3 guard lineup with DLO/Reaves/Schroeder = 2/3 guards that are borderline elite shooters that can play up a position because of their height
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
3 guard lineup with Westbrook/Bev/Schroeder = three below average shooters that are small for their position

3 guard lineup with DLO/Reaves/Schroeder = 2/3 guards that are borderline elite shooters that can play up a position because of their height

yup plus all of them can create their own shots and can pass.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject:

We have done well against a lot of depleted teams, or sub .500 teams. Not sure running those 3 guard lineups will work against teams with better talent and winning records (we have not been playing them).

Need to see how we match up then. I also think the team is far beter with the WB trade, but it remains to be seen if the 3 guards lineups (4 sometimes) match ups will work for us. That's for the playoffs. Hoping to get there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject:

This is the line up I hope to see this year closing games

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Same with me

Hell, I would even look into starting that unit. It's clearly our 5 best players, I am not sure if the bench would be as good as it has been without Reaves.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Scary hours
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Not bad, but I would switch in Troy for Austin when we need more of a team defensive effort. Also, I'd even close with this line up to protect a lead when the opponent has a legit big-sized scorer or two:

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Not bad, but I would switch in Troy for Austin when we need more of a team defensive effort. Also, I'd even close with this line up to protect a lead when the opponent has a legit big-sized scorer or two:

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

In my opinion, that team could perform like the best defensive unit of ALL times, and still won't compete due to their terrible offense and spacing. Instead of looking to out perform one side of the basketball we should strive to out perform them on a NET basis. This is why Net Ratings are what tells you how good a team is in general, Def rating will tell you how good they are on defense...but if you can't have a decent offense your net rating will be bad. So its all about balance.

You took out Dlo and Reaves our 2 best shootersoutside of beasley
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

Having watched Bamba's inconsistent effort and decision-making on D... I'll pass.
Would rather have Reaves out there on the perimeter with Troy.. you're still PLENTY big with that lineup on D.... and you have a group of guys who'll go after defensive rebounds.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

The 3 guard line up did not work…the Lakers won in spite of it…they didn’t win because of it. Check out the game. Toronto’s bigger SG, 6’7” Anunoby hit 12 of 14 shots and scored 31 pts. Toronto’s bigger SF, 6’8” Barnes hit 13 of 19 shots and scored 32 points. Both of them actually out played the Lakers’ smaller SG, Dlo 6’4” and smaller SF, 6’5” Reeves, (10 of 17, 28pts, 6 of 10, 18pts respectively).

A win is a win and I’ll take it anyway I can get it but the 3-guard line up was out played and the game plan neutralizing AD means we were out coached. You can take an aberrational win for an isolated game but you have to realize that it IS NOT an effective strategy for long term success.

It just seemed like the 3 guard line up worked because Dlo went hero mode in the 4th making it more dramatic but the Raptor players both out scored both of our players and their coach out coached our coach.

Against Toronto, LAC, and Foston you gotta go:
Dlo 6’4”
TBjr 6’7”
Vande 6’8”
Rui 6’8”
AD 6’10”

The Lakers were fortunate in an uncanny way to beat Toronto with the faulty game plan. Schro out performing Van Fleet with Vande/Rui production keeping up with Siakim/Poetl in production was the actual real difference in that game being a win. Dlo and Reeves were more dramatic but that was more about closing the gap for having already been out played than elevating above their counterparts.

Please Ham, I beg of you to recognize this and don’t let this win be fool’s gold.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

In my opinion, that team could perform like the best defensive unit of ALL times, and still won't compete due to their terrible offense and spacing. Instead of looking to out perform one side of the basketball we should strive to out perform them on a NET basis. This is why Net Ratings are what tells you how good a team is in general, Def rating will tell you how good they are on defense...but if you can't have a decent offense your net rating will be bad. So its all about balance.

Read my post carefully.

I said the first line up is for "when we need more of a team defensive effort". I said the second line up is "to protect a lead when the opponent has a legit big-sized scorer or two."

Nothing in there suggests that we should use either one as the main line up throughout the entire game.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Ham has found his 3 god cards.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

The 3 guard line up did not work…the Lakers won in spite of it…they didn’t win because of it. Check out the game. Toronto’s bigger SG, 6’7” Anunoby hit 12 of 14 shots and scored 31 pts. Toronto’s bigger SF, 6’8” Barnes hit 13 of 19 shots and scored 32 points. Both of them actually out played the Lakers’ smaller SG, Dlo 6’4” and smaller SF, 6’5” Reeves, (10 of 17, 28pts, 6 of 10, 18pts respectively).

A win is a win and I’ll take it anyway I can get it but the 3-guard line up was out played and the game plan neutralizing AD means we were out coached. You can take an aberrational win for an isolated game but you have to realize that it IS NOT an effective strategy for long term success.

It just seemed like the 3 guard line up worked because Dlo went hero mode in the 4th making it more dramatic but the Raptor players both out scored both of our players and their coach out coached our coach.

Dlo 6’4”
TBjr 6’7”
Vande 6’8”
Rui 6’8”
AD 6’10”

The Lakers were fortunate in an uncanny way to beat Toronto with the faulty game plan. Schro out performing Van Fleet with Vande/Rui production keeping up with Siakim/Poetl in production was the actual real difference in that game being a win. Dlo and Reeves were more dramatic but that was more about closing the gap for having already been out played than elevating above their counterparts.

Please Ham, I beg of you to recognize this and don’t let this win be fool’s gold.

The starters gave up most of the OG points when we were "big" and we all new going small was going to let scotty shoot over the D.

If our big lineups don't have any advantage against a team (Size, Skill or Speed), what would you suggest we should put on the floor?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

I much prefer the Lakers use their length and go-to small lineups to run the wheels off of other teams when needed.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

Read my post carefully.

I said the first line up is for "when we need more of a team defensive effort". I said the second line up is "to protect a lead when the opponent has a legit big-sized scorer or two."

Nothing in there suggests that we should use either one as the main line up throughout the entire game.

The best way to "keep" a lead is by having a good net rating, meaning, having a balanced team not a one sided line up
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

Read my post carefully.

The best way to "keep" a lead is by having a good net rating, meaning, having a balanced team not a one sided line up

OK, now you're simply making up stuff as you go along. Every single team in high school, college or pros identifies different lineups for different situations as to what makes sense vs. a particular opponent.

Sometimes the line ups are balanced, some lean towards more offense, and some lean towards more defense. Of course a great deal of the decision making also depends on the available resources on the roster to pull it off. I mean why do I have to explain basic tactics of basketball?

Here's a real world example. Yesterday Laker fans were watching the Giannis-less Bucks take on the Warriors hoping to see GS lose. The Bucks were coming out of a Warrior time out up by three with 30 seconds left. Except for fouling them in the act of shooting, the only thing thing that could really hurt Milwaukee was giving up a three pointer.

Who does coach Bud send out there to defend the best shooter of all time in Curry? Someone even shorter, which blew my mind. Sure enough, Steph shot and made a three pointer over the tiny outstretched arms of Carter to tie a game that the Warriors went on to win. A purely athletic defensive group with some size across the board was the better choice since the little player he chose to guard Curry had zero chance to affect the 3P shot all by himself that everyone knew was coming.

Match ups and on-court roster decisions make a difference, and blindly going for a one-size-fits-all strategy of a "balanced" squad in every situation makes no sense at any level of play.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
defense wrote:

Russell
Reaves
Lebron
Vando
Davis

Troy
Vando
Lebron
Davis
Bamba (in the playoffs)

Read my post carefully.

OK, now you're simply making up stuff as you go along. Every single team in high school, college or pros identifies different lineups for different situations as to what makes sense vs. a particular opponent.

Sometimes the line ups are balanced, some lean towards more offense, and some lean towards more defense. Of course a great deal of the decision making also depends on the available resources on the roster to pull it off. I mean why do I have to explain basic tactics of basketball?

Here's a real world example. Yesterday Laker fans were watching the Giannis-less Bucks take on the Warriors hoping to see GS lose. The Bucks were coming out of a Warrior time out up by three with 30 seconds left. Except for fouling them in the act of shooting, the only thing thing that could really hurt Milwaukee was giving up a three pointer.

Who does coach Bud send out there to defend the best shooter of all time in Curry? Someone even shorter, which blew my mind. Sure enough, Steph shot and made a three pointer over the tiny outstretched arms of Carter to tie a game that the Warriors went on to win.

A purely athletic defensive group with some size across the board was the better choice since the little player he chose to guard Curry had zero chance to affect the 3P shot all by himself that everyone knew was coming.

Match ups and on-court roster decisions make a difference. Blindly going for a one-size-fits-all strategy of a "balanced" squad in every situation makes no sense at any level of play.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

Simply no! (not for more than 5 mins)
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New 3 guard lineup

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
leking006 wrote:

DS
AR
DLo
Vando
AD

Dlo 6’4”
TBjr 6’7”
Vande 6’8”
Rui 6’8”
AD 6’10”

Lol I said the exact same thing as you did.

There are people who don’t understand basketball on this forum.

They don’t see nothing wrong with Ham.

But seriously, you were naive for thinking Ham not going to spam this lineup after that game.

Lol it gave him the perfect excuse to spam it.

He is gonna spam it to death. 3 guys lineup is his wet dream.

And he won’t even know why it is not working later on.
Ham will most likely say we are short handed. Can’t win

But players try hard.

Gg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: