Reeves vs. Caruso
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject:

We are likely very close to both Caruso and Reaves’ ceilings. They can both fine tune their games but in their mid 20’s we shouldn’t expect a lot of growth.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We are likely very close to both Caruso and Reaves’ ceilings. They can both fine tune their games but in their mid 20’s we shouldn’t expect a lot of growth.

And the king of moronic takes is finally here. The Clippers fan himself.

Hope your team loses to the Knicks tonight.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Re-reading the OP, the Manu Ginobili comparison is actually kind of nice .

Trying to stay within size range - Reeves is listed at 6'5" 206#. Manu is listed at 6'6" 205#. Marciulionis is listed at 6'5" 200#.

For a different comparison:

- Austin Reeves
- Malik Monk

[I'm leaving Norman Powell & Malcolm Brogdon out because they're both near 30 and have been NBA starters before becoming 6th men).

Monk left the Lakers to get a bag from Sacto. Are we better off with Reeves than Monk? To be fair, If Monk was still here he'd likely have Beasley's job as the starting SG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

As usual you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. But keep on taking up useless space.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Reaves is 24. Caruso is 29. One is entering his prime while the other is leaving.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

As usual you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation. But keep on taking up useless space.

Is this your attempt at "embarrassing" others?

Nice try. Good thing no one takes you seriously anymore. Other than entertaining your terrible takes, your fetish for Mitch Kupcake, and your Clippers takes.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Reeves. He has been impressive.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Austin is better than Kentavious too

KCP was a 4 year NBA starter on a high dollar contract when he came - and his role was different, as a starting 3&D wing.

Like Megaton said, I do think Reaves has more offensive tools in the toolbox, but Pope is a proven starting SG on championship quality teams.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Reaves is 24. Caruso is 29. One is entering his prime while the other is leaving.

I’m talking basketball prime, that is one of the reasons that teams don’t draft college graduates in the lottery. Much of their growth was from college coaching, not NBA coaching. Reaves is pretty much developed but all players can add elements to their game at any age. I don’t think that Reaves will gain much athleticism going forward. And I would say the same about Caruso. As I have posted before, Reaves is about a year older than Luka and I don’t expect Luka’s game to grow as much as it did from age 18 to 22.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I’m talking basketball prime, that is one of the reasons that teams don’t draft college graduates in the lottery. Much of their growth was from college coaching, not NBA coaching. Reaves is pretty much developed but all players can add elements to their game at any age. I don’t think that Reaves will gain much athleticism going forward. And I would say the same about Caruso. As I have posted before, Reaves is about a year older than Luka and I don’t expect Luka’s game to grow as much as it did from age 18 to 22.

Athleticism won't increase, but learning to play at "NBA speed" and finding one's way on the court can improve greatly.

Ginobili came into the league at 25 and was a 7/2/2 player. At 27, he was a 16/4/4 All Star and at 30 was a 20/5/5 SMOY.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reeves vs. Caruso

Dr. Laker wrote:
AC was a perfect 6th/7th man under Vogel, injecting energy when he came onto the floor and really brought the intensity on the defensive end. His motor (as a Laker) was unparalleled.

HBK is not the defender that AC is, nor does he have the same motor. He is, however, a willing defender and hard worker on both ends. More importantly, he's two levels of magnitude above AC on offense. Reeves is a legitimate threat offensively and has the ability to be a Sarunas Marciullionis/Manu Ginobili type 2-way threat off of the bench.

Sarunas & Manu were legit 20 point threats in limited minutes, while also being heady defenders.

I loved AC while he was here, but IMO, Reeves' ceiling is much higher.

I agree with you up to a point. Reaves is more of a two-way player than Caruso, but not as good of a defender. The comparison to Ginobili is a stretch, though. Reaves has a limited offensive game, but he does a good job of operating within his limits. He has exceeded my expectations on offense, but he still isn't a guy that you would want taking a lot of shots. He has been adding some playmaking to his toolbox, which is a plus.

The metrics are all over the place on Reaves. They rate him anywhere from a modest positive to a modest negative. Bear in mind that a modest negative is still an NBA quality player.

As for his ceiling, who knows? He's playing at a higher level than I expected. He's not young, though. Hopefully, he can keep getting better.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try. Good thing no one takes you seriously anymore. Other than entertaining your terrible takes, your fetish for Mitch Kupcake, and your Clippers takes.

No, just giving an ass the opportunity to show that they are an ass.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:
Their role is the exact same, the comparison is valid.

No it is not.

My god people. I am now marking people. Please, come up with a person from a different race. Because this is crazy.

Prime Pat Bev is a decent one. James Harden offensively is also a decent comparison. These Caruso takes are lazy and borderline racist.

reaves vs jeremy lin
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You do that to yourself on a daily basis. And I guess to your kids. Have you stopped beating them yet?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

lakersfan32 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:
Their role is the exact same, the comparison is valid.

No it is not.

My god people. I am now marking people. Please, come up with a person from a different race. Because this is crazy.

Prime Pat Bev is a decent one. James Harden offensively is also a decent comparison. These Caruso takes are lazy and borderline racist.

reaves vs jeremy lin

...well that's better.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You do that to yourself on a daily basis. And I guess to your kids. Have you stopped beating them yet?

People cookin Vent on LG? Some things never change

!...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Only when it comes to VLF since he's an actual POS. I have no problem destroying his unempathic ass a new one.

Everybody else here, I throw little jabby comments admittedly, but mostly with love as the majority of people here are good. Just VLF is an actual scumbag though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Gotta live with it when the middle schoolers are out on the weekend
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Reaves is 24, Caruso is 29. Reaves is still "young"
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reeves vs. Caruso

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
AC was a perfect 6th/7th man under Vogel, injecting energy when he came onto the floor and really brought the intensity on the defensive end. His motor (as a Laker) was unparalleled.

HBK is not the defender that AC is, nor does he have the same motor. He is, however, a willing defender and hard worker on both ends. More importantly, he's two levels of magnitude above AC on offense. Reeves is a legitimate threat offensively and has the ability to be a Sarunas Marciullionis/Manu Ginobili type 2-way threat off of the bench.

Sarunas & Manu were legit 20 point threats in limited minutes, while also being heady defenders.

I loved AC while he was here, but IMO, Reeves' ceiling is much higher.

I agree with you up to a point. Reaves is more of a two-way player than Caruso, but not as good of a defender. The comparison to Ginobili is a stretch, though. Reaves has a limited offensive game, but he does a good job of operating within his limits. He has exceeded my expectations on offense, but he still isn't a guy that you would want taking a lot of shots. He has been adding some playmaking to his toolbox, which is a plus.

The metrics are all over the place on Reaves. They rate him anywhere from a modest positive to a modest negative. Bear in mind that a modest negative is still an NBA quality player.

As for his ceiling, who knows? He's playing at a higher level than I expected. He's not young, though. Hopefully, he can keep getting better.

At 24+, he's physically mature, but he can grow as a player. Of course, as a UDFA, the chances of him having an impactful career are slight.

Can he have the impact of a Bruce Bowen or a John Starks? Starks was barely in the league at 25, but at 26 he turned a corner and was a starter at 27.

Bowen was 3 months shy of his 26th birthday before making an NBA roster and didn't really "stick" until he was 28.

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject:

my $0.01? I think Dirk is the same as Larry Bird.

Peace!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Gotta live with it when the middle schoolers are out on the weekend

The ones you beat up you mean? Afraid of “cancel culture” getting to you?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerDynasty6.0 wrote:
my $0.01? I think Dirk is the same as Larry Bird.

Peace!

Luka and Bird I would say is the similar archetype than Dirk.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't know bout any of this Carushow vs AR-15 stuff but War Ender was filthy
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm the worlds biggest Caruso stan and I think Reeves is better

Better ball handler, shooter, passer - bball IQ is really good for both and Caruso is better on D, but Reeves is no slouch there

I think what really makes the difference is Reeves size, allows him to play up against forwards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: