Ham Still Starting Beasley over Reaves…Lol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject:

Austin reaves has the best true shooting percentage in the NBA for a guard. He is above Steph curry. (Minimum 25 games)
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Austin reaves has the best true shooting percentage in the NBA for a guard. He is above Steph curry. (Minimum 25 games)

Oh but don’t start him! It might kill Beasley’s poor little confidence!

Can’t have a player who actually plays well on both sides of the court starting for you can’t ya? No we need those chucking bricks! We need someone to take Westbrick’s hole he left here!
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
As long as he finishes the game, plays at least 30 mins per game, that’s all that matters

Agreed.

And there’s a possibility that Beasley’s dwindling confidence is killed if he’s moved to the bench. I don’t know. But I do know that Austin thrives in any role, so let’s play him 32+ minutes as the 6th man and have him finish close games.

Oh please. So the team has to cater and babysit a $16+ million player's feelings? A player we just got from the deadline who at Utah and Minnesota was...a bench player.

Thats the most soft mentality I have ever heard. Who gives a (bleep) about his confidence if he can't make any shots or play defense with the starters? Maybe coming off the bench will motivate him to freaking do better? And if he doesn't, then we play Max Christie.

None of this rocket science. You either play better, or you come off the bench. And if you fail at that too, you are out of the rotation. No one said anything when Lonnie Walker and Gabriel were out of the rotation.

Manu played better and came off the bench. Sometimes that role is fine at a certain point in time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Manu played better and came off the bench. Sometimes that role is fine at a certain point in time.

That's true. I'm neutral on the idea of starting Reaves.

On the one hand, a lot of people put WAY too much weight on who starts, as opposed to who plays the minutes and who finishes. Reaves is doing well in his current role. It does not follow that he would do just as well in a different role, and it certainly does not follow that we'd be better off if the bench guards were Beasley and Schroder instead of Reaves and Schroder.

On the other hand . . . Beasley is struggling, without a doubt. Moving him to the bench might help him find his rhythm. If we're going to accomplish anything this season, we're going to need the floor spacing that Beasley provides. It is imperative that we get him clicking. If he can just get to about 36-37%, we'll be fine. Instead, other than the Pelicans game, he hasn't been able to find the range lately.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:

On the one hand, a lot of people put WAY too much weight on who starts, as opposed to who plays the minutes and who finishes. Reaves is doing well in his current role. It does not follow that he would do just as well in a different role, and it certainly does not follow that we'd be better off if the bench guards were Beasley and Schroder instead of Reaves and Schroder.

On the other hand . . . Beasley is struggling, without a doubt. Moving him to the bench might help him find his rhythm. If we're going to accomplish anything this season, we're going to need the floor spacing that Beasley provides. It is imperative that we get him clicking. If he can just get to about 36-37%, we'll be fine. Instead, other than the Pelicans game, he hasn't been able to find the range lately.

I think his teammates' gravity is his best friend for now so I'm in favor of keeping him as a starter. It's not like he's not getting the touches. His shot attempts are on par with his time in Utah.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Manu played better and came off the bench.

Indeed. Guess Kobe should have came off the bench for Smush Parker then.

Heck, why even start Lebron anymore? Surely his production would be better served from the bench no? We got DLO as our facilitator, AD as our inside guy and defensive anchor. Lebron doesn’t even play much defense these days either. What does Lebron need to start for?

Imagine how insane our bench would be guys!
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject:

As long as Reaves get 30 + minutes and finishes the games then I don’t care if he starts.

Beasley does need to pick it up though. Hopefully that happens ASAP
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
As long as Reaves get 30 + minutes and finishes the games then I don’t care if he starts.

If it doesn’t matter, why start Lebron then? He closes too. Why start AD?

Imagine AD and Lebron against the 2nd unit? Our bench would be unstoppable!
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

Did I say anything about AD and Bron?

We get it you don’t think Beasley should be starting. You whine on game threads constantly about it.

But fk outta here with the stupid sarcasm.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

We get it you don’t think Beasley should be starting. You whine on game threads constantly about it.

I only reply with the same amount of stupidity thrown back beforehand. So show some better logic then.

Here’s a fun exercise for you and others: let’s name another HOF player that primarily played behind the bench, OTHER THAN Manu. Since that is a name people here only use for their argument as the end all, be all discussion for starting/benching roles.

Surely, a collective group of you intelligent individuals can come up with names yeah?
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

I only reply with the same amount of stupidity thrown back beforehand. So show some better logic then.

Here’s a fun exercise for you and others: let’s name another HOF player that primarily played behind the bench, OTHER THAN Manu. Since that is a name people here only use for their argument as the end all, be all discussion for starting/benching roles.

Surely, a collective group of you intelligent individuals can come up with names yeah?

You have me confused with another poster???

My comment was my first post on this thread.

What stupidity did I throw at you?

All I said was as long as he gets his 30 minutes and finishes games i don’t care if he starts. There’s plenty of 6th man players that end games.

I never brought up Lebron and AD or Manu. You’re the one who responded with stupidity and sarcasm to my simple reply.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject:

I get that somebody regretfully invoked HOFers into the discussion but until Austin is actually on that level let's try to keep the discussion more grounded. There's a reason he wasn't a big factor in the Houston game without AD to draw all that attention. He definitely has elite role player potential IMO and there are indeed many elite role players that have historically come off the bench but averaged 30ish minutes a game while closing. There's no shortage of that in our rich history.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

Manu played off the bench and he's in the HOF, Lakers need a strong first
team and a strong bench as well.

IF it works leave it alone, if not, then do something else...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Lakers lost to the Knicks, Rockets and Mavs. And a lot of it is due to poor shooting from Beasley (other factors too but Beasley is a big one).

What exactly is “working” here? We barely squeezed by with the MAGIC, and only got the win because of Reaves in the first place.

Maybe him starting will make us…I don’t know…better? Are people really content with this failure of a season as a sign of things “working”?

And for (bleep) sake, can anybody here name another name other than Manu? Like my god, at least be original people!
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Flight#24 wrote:
As long as he finishes the game, plays at least 30 mins per game, that’s all that matters

Agreed.

And there’s a possibility that Beasley’s dwindling confidence is killed if he’s moved to the bench. I don’t know. But I do know that Austin thrives in any role, so let’s play him 32+ minutes as the 6th man and have him finish close games.

Oh please. So the team has to cater and babysit a $16+ million player's feelings? A player we just got from the deadline who at Utah and Minnesota was...a bench player.

Thats the most soft mentality I have ever heard. Who gives a (bleep) about his confidence if he can't make any shots or play defense with the starters? Maybe coming off the bench will motivate him to freaking do better? And if he doesn't, then we play Max Christie.

None of this rocket science. You either play better, or you come off the bench. And if you fail at that too, you are out of the rotation. No one said anything when Lonnie Walker and Gabriel were out of the rotation.

It's not a secret that a significant aspect to coaching is nurturing confidence in players. Even Phil Jackson talked about Shaq and his self-doubt and needing to build him up. And though it's not rocket science, we also know that politics and contracts play a role in decision-making, and a player making $16 million will get more leeway than a rookie or a minimum player.

Again, I don't know much about Malik. Maybe a move to the bench would suit him. However, I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. Yes, it's been disappointing that he's shooting 34% from 3pt range, and that number doesn't tell the whole story about his shooting volatility and how his shooting percentages fluctuate greatly from game to game. But we need a volume 3pt shooter who will consistently take 6-10 threes per game and provide some semblance of gravity. Let's see how things go.

At the end of the day, as long as Austin plays 32+ minutes and finishes close games, I'm happy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Here’s a fun exercise for you and others: let’s name another HOF player that primarily played behind the bench, OTHER THAN Manu.

Off the top of my head, Havlicek and McHale. There were periods during their careers when they started, and there were periods during their careers when they came off the bench. The same is true for Ginobili. There are some others who did it for shorter segments of their careers, like Walton and Harden. I won't be shocked if Horry makes the Hall of Fame some year, though I don't think he should.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
deal wrote:

Lakers lost to the Knicks, Rockets and Mavs. And a lot of it is due to poor shooting from Beasley (other factors too but Beasley is a big one).

What exactly is “working” here? We barely squeezed by with the MAGIC, and only got the win because of Reaves in the first place.

Maybe him starting will make us…I don’t know…better? Are people really content with this failure of a season as a sign of things “working”?

And for (bleep) sake, can anybody here name another name other than Manu? Like my god, at least be original people!

With all due respect, changing Reaves from the bench to the first unit doesn't win those games. He got his minutes, we lost.

I don't see how making him a starter makes a difference, at this point.

Me I'd manage those expectations now, and continue to use him off the bench where he thrives.

Do the Lakers need to improve the first unit, yes, but they also need a strong bench. Our first unit is iffy with LJ trying to beat father time and AD trying to not look as injury prone as he is. Lakers need strong backups at both those positions as both those guys will be down for sure. I'd say that's the elephant in the room.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:

I think his teammates' gravity is his best friend for now so I'm in favor of keeping him as a starter. It's not like he's not getting the touches. His shot attempts are on par with his time in Utah.

That's fair. Most of his shots have looked pretty good. It's not like he's hitting the side of the backboard or shooting airballs. Of course, everyone does this now and then, but his misses seem more like the "in and out" variety than the "brick" variety.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Kobe also came off the bench in his 2nd year.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

If you're going to play Beasley then he should play most of his minutes with Lebron. Maybe start Reaves and let Beasley come in for him or DLO when it's Lebron + the bench unit.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Again, I don't know much about Malik. Maybe a move to the bench would suit him. However, I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. Yes, it's been disappointing that he's shooting 34% from 3pt range, and that number doesn't tell the whole story about his shooting volatility and how his shooting percentages fluctuate greatly from game to game. But we need a volume 3pt shooter who will consistently take 6-10 threes per game and provide some semblance of gravity. Let's see how things go.

I agree. All three-point shooters are streaky, but if you look at Beasley's record, it seems like he outside of the norm in terms of streakiness.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

I agree. All three-point shooters are streaky, but if you look at Beasley's record, it seems like he outside of the norm in terms of streakiness.

On the Lakers, Beasley has gone 0'fer twice and had a stretch of three straight games of hitting 1 three (1/4, 1/6, 1/5). He also went 1/5 from three last night. 6 terrible shooting nights out of 16. He has also shot under 30% from three 10x.

If his worst night is hitting two threes, with the rare under game here and there, I think we'd all be happy with his contribution.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, the issue is DS. You pretty much need Reaves or Dlo next to him without LBJ. So, you need to do a lot of Dlo/Reaves staggering or start the 4th guard. We probably end up with the fewest ugly minutes starting the 4th guard.

Also, Reaves is a high motor guy that has shown he hits a wall when given 30+ minutes for several games in a row.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Manu played better and came off the bench.

Indeed. Guess Kobe should have came off the bench for Smush Parker then.

Heck, why even start Lebron anymore? Surely his production would be better served from the bench no? We got DLO as our facilitator, AD as our inside guy and defensive anchor. Lebron doesn’t even play much defense these days either. What does Lebron need to start for?

Imagine how insane our bench would be guys!

Kobe did come off the bench for Eddie Jones
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Close the thread!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: