Analyzing the AD deal 4 years later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/6/20/18693200/lakers-trade-rumors-nba-executives-think-rob-pelinka-overpaid-anthony-davis-pelicans-bleacher-report

For once thank you!....also where were you at in the early morning when im trying to tell this guy about this over pay?...we're you sleeping like normal folks?..lol.

The dude wouldn't answer me when I asked him for his vision of the team next year.

He's another poster who's either a lurker or alt who just wants to argue.

I'm not going to waste much energy on someone who doesn't stand for anything other than debating this one thread. But if he wants to waste his, then I'll let him burn himself out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/6/20/18693200/lakers-trade-rumors-nba-executives-think-rob-pelinka-overpaid-anthony-davis-pelicans-bleacher-report

I am not surprised a reporter could find some anonymous "executives" who were ready to say the Lakers overpaid. However, in this article you also see people praising the trade and saying it positions the Lakers to win a ring, which is what happened.

As far as I can make out, the consensus is that the AD deal was good for the Lakers, but there is a divergence of opinion about whether we could have made a better deal.

It's not particularly hard to find whatever opinion that you want to find about that, in the past or now -- that the Lakers overpaid for AD or that they simply paid what they had to pay to make the deal or that they made a great deal.

I am in the camp that believes we paid top dollar for AD, but Magic and the pressure to win put us in a spot that we had no choice but to pay top dollar, and in all worked out pretty well in the end. I understand the folks who think we should have waited, or who think we could have made a better deal, but I have no idea if they are right or what would have happened if we had done what they wanted us to do. I can imagine scenarios where their approach would have brought better results, the same results, or worse results.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I am not surprised a reporter could find some anonymous "executives" who were ready to say the Lakers overpaid. However, in this article you also see people praising the trade and saying it positions the Lakers to win a ring, which is what happened.

As far as I can make out, the consensus is that the AD deal was good for the Lakers, but there is a divergence of opinion about whether we could have made a better deal.

It's not particularly hard to find whatever opinion that you want to find about that, in the past or now -- that the Lakers overpaid for AD or that they simply paid what they had to pay to make the deal or that they made a great deal.

I chose it because it was a balanced analysis.

My main issue was that Rob was put in a position where he couldn't walk away from it.

Even the most stubborn should concede he was not bargaining from a great place.

Again, I am happy about the title... I agree with those who thought we were pretty competitive the following year also, but I still hold we would have been even more competitive waiting and preserving those assets.

What's amusing to me is the sheer anger I get for holding this position.

I wanted our team to have the best of both worlds, and people act like I'm burning a cross for suggesting that we should have waited or paid less.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject:

quote="BILBJH"]
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

My main issue was that Rob was put in a position where he couldn't walk away from it.

Again, I am happy about the title... I agree with those who thought we were pretty competitive the following year also, but I still hold we would have been even more competitive waiting and preserving those assets.

I wanted our team to have the best of both worlds, and people act like I'm burning a cross for suggesting that we should have waited or paid less.[/quote]

1. Without question Rob was in a weak negotiating position.

2. I have no problem with people who think waiting on the trade would have brought better results; I just don't pretend to know whether they would have been right or wrong. My issue is only when people are steadfast in believing how their alternative reality would have turned out cuz no one knows that.

3. The bottom line is we did make the trade and we won a ring. The wouldas couldas shouldas don't matter much. But they can be fun to debate if you're in a mood to debate.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
WorthyNum1 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
WorthyNum1 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:

Futhermore you just said it..and proved what people told you..WE OVERPAID FOR AD..IT was not a good trade...2023 in talent was far less than what we gave up for AD. Also i TOLD you it was messed up. Putting that much on the line with AD(injury prone) and a 35yr old guy..just wasnt the way to go... I NEVER WANTED LBJ over here because i knew what that meant..wreckage of a team..MIA and CLEV..Yeah he makes us relevant but not in chips just circus and Media and we have enough of that with the FO.

Keep repeating something doesn't make it true. Keep repeating your opinion doesn't make it a fact. It's just your opinion that we OVERPAID for AD. Yet a lot of people here don't share that opinion.

Whether you want them or not, getting LBJ was the first step of getting us even with the Celtics, getting AD was the second step. Without these two steps, the likes of BI, 'Zo, Hart, and first round picks that the current regime had a history of botching up, we couldn't even smell #16.5, never mind #17.

We got lucky in 2020? Why didn't the Pels get lucky with AD? why didn't the Cavs get lucky in Lebron's first stint? Why didn't the Suns get lucky with Booker and CP3 (and later with Durant)? Why didn't the Heat get lucky with "blowing a 3-0 lead" Jimmy? Why didn't the 76ers get lucky with Embiid and Simmons/Harden?

Crediting the 2020 chip to "luck" is simplistic to say the least...

Let me ask you..since im repeating myself. Who were we going against for Ad? What was their "great" package for him?

Who cares?

As long as the PELS won't let AD's contract expire, they would have done the deal with someone else if they don't like the Lakers' package. Are you that naive to think that the Pels is so desperate that they will take any package (your "not overpaid" package) the Lakers put on the table?

Your preaching of "the Lakers are the only bidder" is laughable. Before the 2019 draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2839423-anthony-davis-trade-rumors-pelicans-have-started-listening-to-offers-for-star

The Athletic report also noted "rival executives" believe the Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks have the best pieces to create a trade package.

Charania reported before the trade deadline in February that Davis' list of preferred long-term destinations included the Lakers, Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers and Milwaukee Bucks.

BTW, it looks like you have to use an alias to continue your argument. You think you can get away with using another account to preach your nonsense here?

in other words you cant answer the question"..because..there....was....no,....one". say it with me. They put that for media heads...but its a lie. GMs do this all the time..Want me to prove it too huh? Okay ill do it with a question.

Tell me if they were giving better offers than the Lakers...Why did the Pels not give him to those "Other" great teams? Could it be beause they werent offering anything..some offers started at some dryed up Cheetos and some pop rock candy..thats about it. Other GMs already knew what AD wanted to go and they werent about to do what Dallas is about to do which is give up assets and letting the trade asset leave for nothing. All the years of looking at sports..I know you recognize this.

Why do I have to answer your question?

Where is the rule saying that the other offers have to come at the same time as the Lakers'? You mean the Pelicans must trade AD at the trade deadline of 2019? cannot be 2 months later? 5 months later? at the 2020 trade deadline?

This kind of illogic is laughable. I mean, you are using something that doesn't make sense whatsoever to deduce that the Lakers overpay?
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

The dude wouldn't answer me when I asked him for his vision of the team next year.

He's another poster who's either a lurker or alt who just wants to argue.

I'm not going to waste much energy on someone who doesn't stand for anything other than debating this one thread. But if he wants to waste his, then I'll let him burn himself out.

Yes, when someone makes an argument using wishy washy as facts, that should be refuted.

When he can't defend his position on this "overpay for AD" garbage, the best alternative is to move the goalposts, talking about something else like "vision of next season". Gez, what's the title of this thread?

Given that you insisted you would come back to defend your position, it's amusing to see this "I am not going to waste energy on someone ..."

Last edited by WorthyNum1 on Sun May 28, 2023 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

I wanted our team to have the best of both worlds, and people act like I'm burning a cross for suggesting that we should have waited or paid less.

The sheer existences of other teams interested in AD makes this a closed bid auction. You don't put up your best bid, you won't win. Worst yet, the seller is in no hurry to sell. The trading deadline was still 8 months away.

Given your admission that Pelinka is "not bargaining from a great place", then it refutes your theory that he overpaid.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject:

WorthyNum1 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The sheer existences of other teams interested in AD makes this a closed bid auction. You don't put up your best bid, you won't win. Worst yet, the seller is in no hurry to sell. The trading deadline was still 8 months away.

Given your admission that Pelinka is "not bargaining from a great place", then it refutes your theory that he overpaid.

And Once again im going to say it was a bad deal...Wait? You still havent answered what were these "teams" offering for AD...carry on.

Closed bid?..the only people we were going against was oursleves..thanks to Tragic..smh. Before you start... can you answer the previous question above? Inquiring minds want to know.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
WorthyNum1 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

And Once again im going to say it was a bad deal...Wait? You still havent answered what were these "teams" offering for AD...carry on.

Closed bid?..the only people we were going against was oursleves..thanks to Tragic..smh. Before you start... can you answer the previous question above? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wait, you haven't answered why the other teams' bids have to come at the same time as the Lakers either. Can't blame you for that, because that would blow your claim "the Lakers were bidding against themselves" away...

So, you think the only people we were going against (in the trade) only existed before the 2019 draft? You have no way to answer why other teams had to bid against the Lakers at the same time? You mean if the Lakers didn't make the trade? then the Pels couldn't trade him to another team later?

See, your "the only people we were going against was ourselves" is really laughable. Besides, please get yourself educated. The trade was made by Pelinka. Magic resigned as Lakers VP on 4/9/2019. The AD trade was agreed upon on 6/16/2019, and officially completed on 7/6/2019.

You can't even get the facts straight. I can't believe such an ignorant person dare spout this "we overpaid for AD" theory.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:

I've never seen any reporting that the Pelicans were talking to the other teams and getting offers. That doesn't mean they weren't. It just might mean we don't know.

My impression is the primary thing we were "bidding against" -- if you want to call it that -- is the Pelicans crossing their arms and saying, "No thanks. Not enough." It's not like they were under a court order to trade Davis.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I've never seen any reporting that the Pelicans were talking to the other teams and getting offers. That doesn't mean they weren't. It just might mean we don't know.

My impression is the primary thing we were "bidding against" -- if you want to call it that -- is the Pelicans crossing their arms and saying, "No thanks. Not enough." It's not like they were under a court order to trade Davis.

I guess this topic will keep flaring up for the next few years. The dynamics of the situation were really pretty clear. We were committed to a course of action, and we had next to no leverage. Can you imagine what it would have looked like if we didn't make the trade and then Kawhi blew us off? We could have been running it back for Lebron with Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram. Oh, yeah, that could have happened. Sure thing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I guess this topic will keep flaring up for the next few years. The dynamics of the situation were really pretty clear. We were committed to a course of action, and we had next to no leverage. Can you imagine what it would have looked like if we didn't make the trade and then Kawhi blew us off? We could have been running it back for Lebron with Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram. Oh, yeah, that could have happened. Sure thing.

And there will always be people who will say, "The Lakers could have made the deal for less; that's my alternative reality view;I am 100% sure I am right; and no one can ever prove I am wrong."
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

And there will always be people who will say, "The Lakers could have made the deal for less; that's my alternative reality view;I am 100% sure I am right; and no one can ever prove I am wrong."

However there is proof. All it take is research and thinking..Aswer this question. If it was sooooo private..How did the Lakers bid get out? The bid was known even before players was traded...tell me that?

Moreoever, because of this the FO HAD to do the trade as players were reported looking at their phones seeing the reports and contacting Agents...thus the young core was ruined. Whatever you had in the lockerroom was gone..sooo answer those questions. The only once not seemed psyched out really was Kuz and LBJ, LBJ made some stupid comment about them worrying and not concentrating on the game..some say that was pointed at BI...look it up.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject:

WorthyNum1 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
WorthyNum1 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Wait, you haven't answered why the other teams' bids have to come at the same time as the Lakers either. Can't blame you for that, because that would blow your claim "the Lakers were bidding against themselves" away...

So, you think the only people we were going against (in the trade) only existed before the 2019 draft? You have no way to answer why other teams had to bid against the Lakers at the same time? You mean if the Lakers didn't make the trade? then the Pels couldn't trade him to another team later?

See, your "the only people we were going against was ourselves" is really laughable. Besides, please get yourself educated. The trade was made by Pelinka. Magic resigned as Lakers VP on 4/9/2019. The AD trade was agreed upon on 6/16/2019, and officially completed on 7/6/2019.

You can't even get the facts straight. I can't believe such an ignorant person dare spout this "we overpaid for AD" theory.

You and them LAkers revisionists glasses need to stop...take them glasses off..please. The GM was Magic under him was Palinka. Magic was the one making the offers. One offer was shown to the media and its was denied but he tried then to offer up everyone. Magic at the time Pelinka made that offer might have quit but there was really no choice after that as players confidence in the org was gone so midas well do the trade. Everyone knew MAgic made the initial offer ..He even went on ESPN and talked how Zubac wasnt going to amount to much so better to go ahead with the trade ...stop revising history...or better yet being BLIND to the obvious..shessh.

We Got AD ..We Got AD..Always Damaged and hadnt played a whole 82 game season in his career. going on about a bubble chip were him and LBJ needed the rest as BOTH WERE INJURED. If that time off didnt happen? smh...want to talk? take those logic blockers off first.

Here another question for ya? striaght up
You think we can get Joker for AD?
You think we can get Embid for AD?
You think we can get booker or Murray? striaght up forget about salary....

ALL GMS REPONSES: "CLICK"

HOLD UP Since you value him so much

HOW ABOUT Gainiss for AD striaght up?

GM: "CLICK"
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:

You and them LAkers revisionists glasses need to stop...take them glasses off..please. The GM was Magic under him was Palinka. Magic was the one making the offers. One offer was shown to the media and its was denied but he tried then to offer up everyone. Magic at the time Pelinka made that offer might have quit but there was really no choice after that as players confidence in the org was gone so midas well do the trade. Everyone knew MAgic made the initial offer ..He even went on ESPN and talked how Zubac wasnt going to amount to much so better to go ahead with the trade ...stop revising history...or better yet being BLIND to the obvious..shessh.

We Got AD ..We Got AD..Always Damaged and hadnt played a whole 82 game season in his career. going on about a bubble chip were him and LBJ needed the rest as BOTH WERE INJURED. If that time off didnt happen? smh...want to talk? take those logic blockers off first.

Wow, you are an outright liar.

I listed the dates Magic left the Lakers (4/9/2019) and the date the trade was agreed upon (6/16/2019), yet you still claim that Magic made the trade.

Tell you what. If you keep insisting the lie, I'll keep correcting you until you shut up. You can count on that.

So, are you going to tell us why the other teams' bids have to come at the same time as the Lakers either? Is it because you can't? because that would blow your claim "the Lakers were bidding against themselves" out of the water?

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/2/7/18215678/anthony-davis-trade-lakers-status-rumors

The NBA trade deadline has come and passed, and the Los Angeles Lakers are walking away without Anthony Davis, according to Yahoo’s Chris Haynes. They weren’t even close. Reports were that the Pelicans didn’t talk to Magic Johnson and co. on Wednesday or Thursday at all. This deal was never on the brink of happening, for whatever reason.

The package would have included some combination of Lakers youngsters (Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart), future first-round picks, and salary filler. But New Orleans, perhaps obtusely, “demanded” the Lakers give up everything to even consider making the deal. The Lakers did not, and fumed in the process.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
The "we could get AD for free next year" crowd knows absolutely nothing about basketball. Or business in general

The number of posters here who have no understanding of business is staggering. Particularly those who clearly have never negotiated a deal.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

WorthyNum1 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:

Wow, you are an outright liar.

I listed the dates Magic left the Lakers (4/9/2019) and the date the trade was agreed upon (6/16/2019), yet you still claim that Magic made the trade.

Tell you what. If you keep insisting the lie, I'll keep correcting you until you shut up. You can count on that.

So, are you going to tell us why the other teams' bids have to come at the same time as the Lakers either? Is it because you can't? because that would blow your claim "the Lakers were bidding against themselves" out of the water?

Dont say another word...YOU COOKED READY TO Be served. YA PROOF SIR

Too Lazy to Click the Link? Dont worry i got ya
Magic Johnson:
Quote:
I’m not a regretful guy. You’re right, I offered a lot of guys, but you have to do that for an Anthony Davis," Johnson said on Monday's episode of First Take. "He’s a special player and the guys that we were going to trade to the Pelicans are special as well. And I told Dell Demps: ‘Let’s just do it in private. What we offer, let’s keep it between us.’ Well Dell didn’t do that, so that’s how it got out, right.

The Lakers offered their full boat of young prospects—Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart—along with draft picks to acquire Davis before February's deadline. The Pelicans declined, and details of the Lakers' offer were detailed to the press.

Johnson said the young players took the negotiations to heart, though he complimented the way they rebounded
"

BUT WAIT! THERES MORE...!
Quote:
The Lakers negotiations with the Pelicans becoming public were partially responsible for sinking their season. They were already scrapping to make the playoffs when the negotiations leaked and fell apart down the stretch, with nearly every contributor suffering an injury or being shut down.

You still havent answered my question...NONE OF THEM.. You havent prob answered the previous Guy's Questions.

Ive gave you my response...take it how you live it. IM OUT
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject:

I just posted an article that confirmed what this guy said and you are calling him a liar?

I don't who you are, or what account you come from, but why are you so hostile, and why can't you have a civilized debate?

The other thing working against the Lakers was the offer Johnson made back at the trade deadline. In offering basically everything not bolted down, he set a precedent New Orleans was always going to try to live up to.

We paid too much in my opinion.

Many of you feel we were better off taking the bird in the hand no matter how much it cost. A minority like myself wanted to preserve either Ingram or #4 or just tell the Pels to f*ck off and take my chances the following year.

I know for a fact that I argued we'd be good for one or two years but then no longer competitive when James was too old.

I know I said specifically that I wanted Ingram not to play with Bron, but to eventually replace him because he wasn't a good fit.

80% of this board at that time laughed and just thought he wasn't good enough. Half thought Kuzma was better. I'd hear things like Ingram never scored 30 points in college, he'll be a borderline starter.

But I had watched the kid every f*cking game get better and I thought he'd be a good player once he becomes consistent.

However, I was wrong about LBJ's window... he was good for four years instead of two.

So the overpay came back to roost in 2023 instead of 2021.

First of all, I agree with the point that no one knows what what would have happened. There are infinite parallel universes that can be played out.

However, had we kept a few more assets or picks by playing hard ball with Griffin or waited for AD, it might have gotten us over the top this season.

People say so what, we won a title.

If you win a poker hand holding a 10 and a Jack, because the dealer puts a queen, king, ace in the river... does that mean holding a 10 and a Jack is better than holding two aces?

Apparently by the logic of some on this board, you always take the 10 and the jack because you won one time.

We won, I'm happy about 17.

I just felt we could have had an even better hand.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:
The "we could get AD for free next year" crowd knows absolutely nothing about basketball. Or business in general

The number of posters here who have no understanding of business is staggering. Particularly those who clearly have never negotiated a deal.

I ran two businesses on prime real estate in West Los Angeles for over 25 years.

I've made mistakes in my life, but I've won more than I lost.

I'm guessing most here haven't run any businesses themselves.

We put ourselves in a terrible position to acquire AD.

I've never said going for AD wasn't a good idea, it's how we went about it that was ridiculous.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

There is a difference between overpaying for something and having paid more than you might have if you had managed negotiations better. We didn’t overpay for Davis. The goal was to acquire him and have enough assets and flexibility to build a championship team. We succeeded. Trying to hold back a pick or a prospect would have been nice, but if that was the difference between getting Davis or not, is that actually the smarter play? There was also the timing of the deal that called for a premium. Pelinka got it done in advance of the draft and the “unofficial” free agency period. That allowed a window to pursue Kawhi and set up the backup plan. Those things mattered.

It’s actually the moves that have happened after the 2020 run that have often been suspect. Even those have started to look better, frankly as our front office has gained experience and taken more ownership of building the team instead of servicing the interests of Klutch.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
There is a difference between overpaying for something and having paid more than you might have if you had managed negotiations better. We didn’t overpay for Davis. The goal was to acquire him and have enough assets and flexibility to build a championship team. We succeeded. Trying to hold back a pick or a prospect would have been nice, but if that was the difference between getting Davis or not, is that actually the smarter play? There was also the timing of the deal that called for a premium. Pelinka got it done in advance of the draft and the “unofficial” free agency period. That allowed a window to pursue Kawhi and set up the backup plan. Those things mattered.

It’s actually the moves that have happened after the 2020 run that have often been suspect. Even those have started to look better, frankly as our front office has gained experience and taken more ownership of building the team instead of servicing the interests of Klutch.

This is why I used the Ohtani comparison a few pages back.

The Dodgers are in a similar situation where they can trade for Ohtani after they cleared the books for his enormous contract (Didn't sign Trea Turner for example) and can either give up a bunch of young prospects or just wait for him to come.

Many people have said you give up everything the Angels want for a generational talent. Many have said just wait.

Again, I fall into the wait camp because what good is Ohtani coming if Outman, Will Smith, Urias are all gone.

Sure they'll still have Freeman and Mookie, but what makes the Dodgers better than the Angels is their depth.

LBJ and AD have been great when healthy. The best duo as expected.

But I felt we could have that duo with all those assets.

Personally, I would have waited and explained my logic to AD.

AD is intelligent, I bet he would have done it if Rich and LBJ asked him to wait.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

The thing is… Did we really even need LeBron? Once we signed him, the clock started ticking given his age. Let’s say we don’t sign LeBron… Then we could have signed AD and Butler/Kawhi and had Garland/ Ingram/Ball as a supporting cast.

LeBron gave us exactly one season of MVP level play— the bubble season. Hurt in 2019 and 2022. Hobbled in 2021 and 2023.

The main downside of this is that re-signing Ball would have been a disaster given his injury issues.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

I ran two businesses on prime real estate in West Los Angeles for over 25 years.

I've made mistakes in my life, but I've won more than I lost.

I'm guessing most here haven't run any businesses themselves.

We put ourselves in a terrible position to acquire AD.

I've never said going for AD wasn't a good idea, it's how we went about it that was ridiculous.

Then you know how rare it is for an elite asset to come on the market, and the opportunity cost of not closing on that asset is that it may not come back on the market for decades, and the market may go from ridiculous to insane.

How many players since the 1999 CBA have asked for a trade, and then later signed with the team that didn't trade for them?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

The thing is… Did we really even need LeBron? Once we signed him, the clock started ticking given his age. Let’s say we don’t sign LeBron… Then we could have signed AD and Butler/Kawhi and had Garland/ Ingram/Ball as a supporting cast.

LeBron gave us exactly one season of MVP level play— the bubble season. Hurt in 2019 and 2022. Hobbled in 2021 and 2023.

The main downside of this is that re-signing Ball would have been a disaster given his injury issues.

Would any of those guys have come without LeBron?

KL tried to force a trade with us when LeBron was here . . . but went elsewhere when he could've signed outright. I don't think Butler gave the Lakers a meeting when he was a free agent.

AD is a Chicago kid and the Bulls would've had cap space for him in 21.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Would any of those guys have come without LeBron?

KL tried to force a trade with us when LeBron was here . . . but went elsewhere when he could've signed outright. I don't think Butler gave the Lakers a meeting when he was a free agent.

AD is a Chicago kid and the Bulls would've had cap space for him in 21.

I’m confused about the Butler situation. There’s this claim going around that he wanted to be a Laker, and we told him to wait for Kawhi’s decision. Others say he wanted his own team. But if we didn’t have LeBron, this would have been his own team, unless he felt overshadowed by AD.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 25 of 28
Jump to: