Magic vs. Curry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

If the ABA stats were implemented into the NBA stats then the history of everything would be changed.

I don't think merging the stats/accomplishments of the ABA and NBA would change all that much. Dr. J would probably be regarded a little higher, and might even get onto the GOAT short list. I don't think any other player's reputation would change significantly.

And even if they merged the accomplishments, I think most people would hang an asterisk on the ABA accomplishments, given that it was such an inferior league. Fun, but inferior.

Question for you both and the board: were you able to see Dr. J play while he was in the ABA?

I realize that I'm dating myself....and I love it!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject:

My only solid memory of Dr. J in the ABA is the dunk contest.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

If the ABA stats were implemented into the NBA stats then the history of everything would be changed.

I don't think merging the stats/accomplishments of the ABA and NBA would change all that much. Dr. J would probably be regarded a little higher, and might even get onto the GOAT short list. I don't think any other player's reputation would change significantly.

And even if they merged the accomplishments, I think most people would hang an asterisk on the ABA accomplishments, given that it was such an inferior league. Fun, but inferior.

Question for you both and the board: were you able to see Dr. J play while he was in the ABA?

I might have seen him in an all-star game in the later years of the league, but I don't have any clear memories of that. Only thing I know about Dr. J from ABA days are the stories and the highlight clips that show up on the Internet. I am sure he was a remarkable sight to behold.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

I might have seen him in an all-star game in the later years of the league, but I don't have any clear memories of that. Only thing I know about Dr. J from ABA days are the stories and the highlight clips that show up on the Internet. I am sure he was a remarkable sight to behold.

Then what makes you think the competition was so inferior then?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
My only solid memory of Dr. J in the ABA is the dunk contest.

I had fun asking. I saw a few of his games while he played for the Virgina Squires & New York Nets...and of course Philly.

The fondest memories I have of those games were the spectacular dunks he would throw down, especially for anyone challenging him at the rim, and the red, white and blues balls.

The rotation on the balls when the players launched their jumpshots were some real fun to watch.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Dr J was cool with the big afro and super athletic for his era. Some of his dunks and reverse layups are legendary. His sixers played the Lakers in 1980 and 1983. They beat the Lakers in 1983. Can't believe it has been 40 years.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Dr J was cool with the big afro and super athletic for his era. Some of his dunks and reverse layups are legendary. His sixers played the Lakers in 1980 and 1983. They beat the Lakers in 1983. Can't believe it has been 40 years.

Yeah, they swept us X_X Magic's 5 position game gets talked about a lot more than the time the 76ers swept us in return.

But that's fine, because as a Lakers fan I'm fine with that being the case

But I still have to sit through THE SAME DARN MICHAEL JORDAN REVERSE LAYUP HE DID TO US in 91 OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! !
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject:

^^^
They swept us because of our injuries. Don't forget, we had the lead at halftime in each game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
^^^
They swept us because of our injuries. Don't forget, we had the lead at halftime in each game.

Essentially the same as what happened vs Detroit, and to a lesser extent The Bulls.

I am still STILL mad about the Detroit loss. That was the best Lakers team till the 01 Lakers team in the Playoffs and I think if we weren't injured going into that series we'd have threepeated and beat Detroit in 5.

Most Lakers losses in the Finals had to do with injuries.

76ers we had injuries
88 vs Detroit we had injuries
91 vs Bulls we had injuries
vs Detroit in 04 we had injuries
vs Boston in 07 we had injuries (no Bynum, no Ariza)

It goes on, the Celtics were one of the few teams that beat that Lakers team at full strength but we beat them twice vs their one which we had them beat till their dirty tactics got to us and took us out of our game.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
^^^

Yep, we had enough to compete for a half, and then they would wear us down, especially Norm Nixon.

On another note, I'm still saddened by Moses Malone's passing and of course Chocolate Thunder.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

The NBA titles should have an asterisk in that case as well, atleast as far as calling them "world championships". The talent pool was split in two, no matter how lopsided

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

1982 as well. We beat them and then they added MVP Moses Malone. Was too much for us in 1983. Other than that, they played another Finals with DrJ in 1977, losing to Portland. 4th most successful team of the 80s after us, Boston and Detroit

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
32 wrote:

1982 as well. We beat them and then they added MVP Moses Malone. Was too much for us in 1983. Other than that, they played another Finals with DrJ in 1977, losing to Portland. 4th most successful team of the 80s after us, Boston and Detroit

I forgot we beat them in 1982. Even though we lost them in 1983 I was happy for Julius Erving to get his first NBA championship. I always admired his game.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
32 wrote:

I forgot we beat them in 1982. Even though we lost them in 1983 I was happy for Julius Erving to get his first NBA championship. I always admired his game.

Yeah love Julius. Plus they beat Boston all those years to get there, so another plus

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

The NBA titles should have an asterisk in that case as well, atleast as far as calling them "world championships". The talent pool was split in two, no matter how lopsided

If you want to be technical, the NBA champions have never really been the world champion since all the teams are from Canada and the United states. It should really be called the North American champion in fact I don't think the NBA has used the term world champion to describe the NBA champion for quite a while now because they realize that's kind of an arrogant term.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
drae wrote:
MJST wrote:
I'd focus on Klay Thompson instead and tell him that he'd better hope he somehow turns into "Game 6 Klay" or the Lakers are taking them out in 5.

Has Klay ever been the same since his injury though? I think Wiggins was the one that helped a lot last season?

He was Game 6 Klay during a series last year but other than that he's been okay but not the same level he once was.

But being that he was coming off injury and a year without basketball people expected him to take the next step this season. In the first round he scored 20 PPG but on 42% shooting. And in this series thus far he's shooting 19 PPG on 41% shooting. And in the Finals last year he shot 17 PPG on 35% from the field. So Steph has to carry more than he gets credit for. The only time Klay had truly efficient finals runs was when the Warriors had KD. The only exception was the Finals vs the Raptors which the Warriors would have won I think after KD if Klay never got hurt because he was finally bringing it in a Finals series like a 2nd option is supposed to.

And Curry's getting a bit old to carry a club.

I wonder if Klay's going to get that max extension he wants in the off season because Draymond just provided a pretty enticing demonstration of what he can still do
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

No comment on comparing him to Magic, but through 5 games, I gotta say Steph Curry is (bleep) incredible at age 35. I hope we advance and get to play the Nuggets so I can form a proper opinion on prime Jokic (as a notorious Lakers-only watcher it's rare for me to see a player enough to have a strong impression on them).
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
No comment on comparing him to Magic, but through 5 games, I gotta say Steph Curry is (bleep) incredible at age 35. I hope we advance and get to play the Nuggets so I can form a proper opinion on prime Jokic (as a notorious Lakers-only watcher it's rare for me to see a player enough to have a strong impression on them).

Nuggets look seriously scary
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
tox wrote:

Nuggets look seriously scary

OFC I'm hoping the Lakers stop the Nuggets in the WCF for the 3rd time in 15 years but they are probably the team outside of the Lakers I'd like to win the most. The Heat were on that list because who doesn't love Jimmy Buckets, but then I watched a compilation of Bam illegal screens and I can't in good conscience root for that. (Well it beats Harden or the Celtics winning lol)
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
^^^

Yep, we had enough to compete for a half, and then they would wear us down, especially Norm Nixon.

On another note, I'm still saddened by Moses Malone's passing and of course Chocolate Thunder.

It was sad losing them before their time. I always enjoyed a lot of Sixers back in the day. They all seemed to have a lot of flair.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject:

Until Curry can score 42 as the starting Center, in a Finals Championship game, I'll stick with Magic...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

F Curry. I have not seen him break a decades old curse. I have not seen him make one of the greatest shots in the history of the league in enemy (and I repeat ENEMY) territory.

https://www.facebook.com/ESPN/videos/magic-johnsons-baby-sky-hook-beats-the-celtics-in-game-4-of-the-nba-finals/2122424764470935/
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Magic had 9 straight years where he was top 3 every year in MVP voting. I don't think anyone in NBA history has matched or beat that. He was also first-team all-NBA each of those years. During that span, I doubt anyone would disagree he was the best point guard in the league each of those 9 years.

From 2014 to 2022, Curry was the best point guard in the league during that overall period. But there were several times in that span where Curry wasn't regarded as the best or even second best point guard in specific years.

I was curious, LeBron "only" did it for 8 years. 2008-2016. 06-07 he got 5th (2nd in 05-06). 16-17 he got 4th (2nd 17-18).

Discounting the 2 seasons he retired and played baseball (1993-94 and 1994-95), MJ actually did it in the 10 consecutive full seasons that he played, from 1986-87 to 1992-93 (7 seasons), and 1995-96 to 1997-98 (3 seasons).
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

steph scares the absolute hell out of me.

Did jokic not make an impression on you in our WCF?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:

steph scares the absolute hell out of me.

Did jokic not make an impression on you in our WCF?

Weirdly no, I looked at the statline and 22/7/5 on 61% TS%... pedestrian by Jokic's standards. That's probably why. I was also just kind of checked out mentally during 2020, between the Lakers feeling like a mercenary team, Kobe dying, and the pandemic raging
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: