17th Pick: JALEN HOOD SCHIFINO is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
No one trusts g-league statistics. Mcclung is the reigning g-league MVP.

I suppossed that was said of Caruso & Van Fleet, just saying...

It means the best g-league players are the ones you don't normally look for. That's why scouts at every g-league game are a must. Lakers were pretty good at finding them before, but it seems like they don't know how to spot or evaluate talent anymore. Caruso, GPII and Nwaba were dogs, and it's wild to think they were all on the Lakers at one point. I take it a lot of that had to do with the Buss kids and Ryan West, who no longer have a major say in the drafting or scouting process.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
any chance he turns into eddie jones once he's healed up? lol

I’m not suggesting they’re the same type of player, but Chauncey Billups wasn’t a high flyer and took a while to develop. Ultimately he became a pretty good player. I’d be comparing JHS to someone not known for being a great athlete.

I think you’re underrating Billups as athlete. Billups could dunk and drive the basket. Not a high flyer, no, but used his muscle to get inside. He was also 2 inches shorter than JHS. Tellingly he was a near 25% frequency at rim scorer throughout his 20s before moving outward to more of a three-shooter/spacer/playmaker as he aged.

In an admittedly small sample, JHS took 11% of his shots at rim. That’s really low. Even the smaller, possibly less athletic DLO was at 18% at rim frequency his rookie year. Were JHS’s back issues holding him back? Maybe? But in college as well? But with his type of surgery, you’re hoping he just gets back the level of athleticism he had pre-surgery. Some guys come back even less athletic (see:Ben Simmons and Dwight Howard).

I really need to be proven wrong about him for the lakers to have a hope in him as a contributor or trade asset, but the possibility of him being even a borderline allstar would be truly unique. Like the JJ Redick of prospects. He looks the part of a good player and says the right things, but he is without historical analogue statistically and measurably, as far as i know. Something that somehow only Rob Pelinka was able to see? Gulp.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

McClung who broke Allen Iverson's scoring record is not a scrub and anyone who knows basketball knows he deserves a shot in the league.

There's only one G-League MVP that then didn't get a call up to go play in the league, McClung should not be the second.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

so no hope for maxwell lewis too then? who shot a pedestrian 42.4% fg and 35.6% 3 in the g league?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

so no hope for maxwell lewis too then? who shot a pedestrian 42.4% fg and 35.6% 3 in the g league?

His length and athleticism is at least intriguing. Another in a long line of “if his jumpshot develops” guys. We also didn’t burn a first on him
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

McClung who broke Allen Iverson's scoring record is not a scrub and anyone who knows basketball knows he deserves a shot in the league.

There's only one G-League MVP that then didn't get a call up to go play in the league, McClung should not be the second.

Apparently all 30 GMs in the NBA don’t know basketball 🤷🏻
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

His length and athleticism is at least intriguing. Another in a long line of “if his jumpshot develops” guys. We also didn’t burn a first on him

yeah, but they paid $4m to move up to select him, when they coulda got gg jackson or stay where they were and get trayce jackson-davis
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Him and Isaac Bonga.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

yeah, but they paid $4m to move up to select him, when they coulda got gg jackson or stay where they were and get trayce jackson-davis

The $4m also stuck out at me as well -it's a lot for a 2nd round pick - BUT it didn't have cap impact so in the worst case it will just be a "meh" move.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject:

JHS never passed the eye test for me even in college and thought he was a bust when drafted. Now post surgery, my hopes of him contributing at all continue to drop. Hope Im wrong. Not sure what happened to our scout team as that was a terrible choice, and to stay away from Podz and Cam. Seemed pretty obvious they had 1st round talent....eye test again.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Cam Whittmroe was projected top 5 in a lot of mocks. He was the obvious choice. Podz/Jacqez were Laker type picks in the past. Older guys who had a higher probability of reaching a role player level (Hart, Kuzma)
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Smoothness101 wrote:
Gonna be like last year where all our favs are there at 17 and Lakers take someone else.

I'll be miffed if Holmes/Silva/Ware are there and Lakers pass.

I will be pissed if we pick someone we did not work out. No reported workout on JHS last year and look how that turned out. Passed on a lot of good players last year.

We never worked out Scrubfino?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
Smoothness101 wrote:
Gonna be like last year where all our favs are there at 17 and Lakers take someone else.

I will be pissed if we pick someone we did not work out. No reported workout on JHS last year and look how that turned out. Passed on a lot of good players last year.

they did work him out. didn't he tell rob in the interview that he idolized kobe and that's what sealed the deal? lol

https://www.nba.com/lakers/videos/jalen-hood-schifino-draft-workout
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject:

@2:00 he says he's an all-around player, can score on all 3 levels, a great floor general, and can guard any position. boy, was i wrong about him! lol

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
Smoothness101 wrote:

they did work him out. didn't he tell rob in the interview that he idolized kobe and that's what sealed the deal? lol

https://www.nba.com/lakers/videos/jalen-hood-schifino-draft-workout

That cannot be true. We didn’t work him out?? We drafted him on his whatever tape and him saying “mamba mentality”??
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
@2:00 he says he's an all-around player, can score on all 3 levels, a great floor general, and can guard any position. boy, was i wrong about him! lol

I can guard any position also, including Luka or Tatum, even though I’m 5’9”.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:14 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
JHS never passed the eye test for me even in college and thought he was a bust when drafted. Now post surgery, my hopes of him contributing at all continue to drop. Hope Im wrong. Not sure what happened to our scout team as that was a terrible choice, and to stay away from Podz and Cam. Seemed pretty obvious they had 1st round talent....eye test again.

It's not for him to pass the eye test for you.

If he passed the eye test for you, he wouldn't be drafted.

He passed the eye test for those that matter and got drafted.

Pass the eye test for JJ, he gets playing time.

Nothing comes from passing the eye test with you, except a good comment.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject:

Listened to Colin Casteleton interview. He mentioned him and Max being in the gym together a lot. Sounded like he didn't think Jalen would be ready for summer league. Using the summer to get healthy.

Not ideal, wanted this summer to be one JHS was locked in the gym.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

I can guard any position also, including Luka or Tatum, even though I’m 5’9”.

Dude never attacks the rim, not even in G-league. What are "three levels" to him?
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Listened to Colin Casteleton interview. He mentioned him and Max being in the gym together a lot. Sounded like he didn't think Jalen would be ready for summer league. Using the summer to get healthy.

Summer league is still 3 weeks away. Want to see him play, but I can understand if he's still recovering. Can't play around with back issues. Once they linger, they linger forever. That's what ended Dwight's dominance.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

One pro of summer league is getting to see more Castleton. I miss watching Castleton play!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

One pro of summer league is getting to see more Castleton. I miss watching Castleton play!

We have kind of forgotten about him. Appeared to be a solid back up 5 in the making and had a strong GLeague. 16/11/3 with 1.6 blocks per game and 57FG%. Wish he would have gotten more of a chance instead of watching the lay up lines in the non AD minutes
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

We have kind of forgotten about him. Appeared to be a solid back up 5 in the making and had a strong GLeague. 16/11/3 with 1.6 blocks per game and 57FG%. Wish he would have gotten more of a chance instead of watching the lay up lines in the non AD minutes

Has he muscled up at all? He seems like he'll get pushed around by even an average sized 4. It'd be great if he's able to 3rd string 5 (with the 2nd stringer being an upgrade of Jax ideally)
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject:

He said he has focused on gaining strength/muscle so I would assume yes. His build will never be a Dwight type.

He measured in at 234 last year. 245 should be a good obtainable goal. 7'3.5 wingspan and 6'10.5 barefoot
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

JHS has posted videos on his IG the pass couple days of him working out. Nothing of him jumping out of the gym, but when has he ever? Looks healthy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 50 of 52
Jump to: