Trae Young
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Lebron would literally just have Him stand in the corner and become a spot up shooter.. He does that to all PGs..

We need a big.. not a guard

False, although Trae is about post LeBron.

Yes he would..if the coach dont stop it..which there is no coach these days that wont to stand up to him...sooo its going to happen.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject:

Trae Young, AD and some talented defenders who can shoot/cut would be a playoff team, and a dangerous match up in the playoffs.

However who in their right mind thinks that will be the team Pelinka builds? He will cater to Lebron as will the new coach. If they added Young, they'll be having much of the same issues other top heavy teams have had. If we did build a team with a defensive stretch 5, AD, a 2-way SF/SG, a defensive guard that can make up for Trae on defense + Trae, then we would be a top 5 team in the West. Who here thinks that is what Pelinka would do?

Mind you, I think it will be a lot better than the Westbrook era even if we made the trade as Young can give you spacing and isn't the same headcase to coach that WB was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn’t mind pairing Trae young with Mike D’Antoni. He seems to really get the most out of point guards. Trae would be amazing in his system. AD and Bron too

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Wouldn’t mind pairing Trae young with Mike D’Antoni. He seems to really get the most out of point guards. Trae would be amazing in his system. AD and Bron too

How much of an upgrade would Trae be over Dlo? Would it justify the cost? I don’t see it. Dlo is a much better 3pt shooter (41% vs 37%), with a much better assist/turnover ratio (6.3/2.1 vs 10.8/4.4). As a 3rd option with LBJ it’s possible that their scoring gets about the same too (18ppg vs 25 ppg now). Both are challenged defensively tho Trae may be even worse tho he does get .4 more spg than Dlo with Dlo getting about .3 more rebounds.

I think the Lakers need a better two way player to justify the cost to switch out Dlo. Trae Young ain’t it imo. 4.4 turnovers per game? Keep that away from the Lakers please. The team currently has 3 main probs: 1backcourt defense, 2rebounding(18), 3turnovers(19th). Trae Young makes all of those worse while only adding scoring and assists. The Lakers finished 5th in the NBA at both of those so they’re already among the best of what Trae would bring. Trae Young won’t help the Lakers improve, he would be a Westbrook type mistake.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Trae shoots off the dribble and is a bonafide first option. Can’t really compare the two.

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Trae shoots off the dribble and is a bonafide first option. Can’t really compare the two.

Yes, yes you can compare the two. And when you do that it should be clear imo that Trae’s strengths don’t really help the Lakers as they are already strong in what he brings, (scoring, assists). His weaknesses (defense, rebounds, turnovers) are the exact same weaknesses the team already have. He does not look like he would be a good fit. Since the team is already good at what he does but struggle at what he struggles at, the change looks like it would be a wash at best, and since it would cost much more then it would be a net loss to add him. Especially considering Dlo is already here having built chemistry and familiarity.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sun May 05, 2024 9:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:18 pm    Post subject:

High volume inefficient shooter. aka Westbrick. Stay away from him
JosephFerano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I would take his teammate over him. Seriously, why would we want yet another 1-way player? We have enough of those.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Dr. Laker wrote:
Go get him. Small, no defense, chucker, gets dinged up, yada yada.

Go get him. We need a third player who is a consistent 30-point threat.

Give up Reaves, Rui, whoever - we didn't get it done with those guys, anyway.

Go get Trae Young.

Did you really watch us get eliminated in the first round and thought, Trae Young is what we need?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Vin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Go get Trae Young.

Did you really watch us get eliminated in the first round and thought, Trae Young is what we need?

Yes. We need a guy who can step up in the moment. That is Trae.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject:

hope he doesnt go to SAS
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Vin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Go get Trae Young.

I did watch nobody other Bron/ad show up, didn't u?
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Bron2AD wrote:
Vin wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Go get Trae Young.

I did watch nobody other Bron/ad show up, didn't u?

But, that doesn't really address the question, in any real substantive way?

Hypothetically speaking, if the Lakers were to acquire Trae Young, the reports are multiple FRP's, along with multiple players to match his salary. Essentially gutting your team. So, the team would be AD, LeBron, Young, and vet mins.

So, circling back to the original question, does a team consisting of an ageing LeBron, AD, and Trae, surrounded by vet mins., scream CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER?

Personally, I say no. But, I understand that opinions vary...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

sonic the laker wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, if the Lakers were to acquire Trae Young, the reports are multiple FRP's, along with multiple players to match his salary. Essentially gutting your team. So, the team would be AD, LeBron, Young, and vet mins.

So, circling back to the original question, does a team consisting of an ageing LeBron, AD, and Trae, surrounded by vet mins., scream CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER?

Aren’t we surrounded by vet mins already? Basically it’s a pg swap which Trae is a huge upgrade but the picks. Those are our lifeline to another dimension
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Halflife wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Aren’t we surrounded by vet mins already? Basically it’s a pg swap which Trae is a huge upgrade but the picks. Those are our lifeline to another dimension

No, we’re not surrounded by vet min already. In addition to AD/LBJ;

Dlo/Rui/AR/Vincent/Vando/Prince all are well above vet min.

It’s not just a pg switch and picks either, it would likely be at least two and maybe three players shipped out. The cost is too high for a marginal upgrade, if it even is an upgrade at all. Sure, in a vacuum Trae is better than Dlo but the team problems aren’t scoring/assists, it’s rebounding/turnovers. Trae makes the bad worse and only upgrades where the team is already ranked 5th in the NBA (scoring/assists). Trae over Dlo makes this roster worse overall with 4.4 turnovers per game. His 25ppg may even go down to Dlo’s 18ppg when he goes from #1 option to #3.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Mon May 06, 2024 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Halflife wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

It’s not just a pg switch either. The cost is too high for a marginal upgrade, if it even is an upgrade at all. Sure, in a vacuum Trae is better than Dlo but the team problems aren’t scoring/assists, it’s rebounding/turnovers. Trae makes the bad worse and only upgrades where the team is already ranked 5th in the NBA (scoring/assists). Trae over Dlo makes this roster worse overall.

Trae is a huge upgrade over dlo so we are either all in or not. Spida would probably be better, but if some are saying we are close, Trae is a big enough upgrade to get us where we want to go.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Halflife wrote:
Halflife wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

It’s not just a pg switch either. The cost is too high for a marginal upgrade, if it even is an upgrade at all. Sure, in a vacuum Trae is better than Dlo but the team problems aren’t scoring/assists, it’s rebounding/turnovers. Trae makes the bad worse and only upgrades where the team is already ranked 5th in the NBA (scoring/assists). Trae over Dlo makes this roster worse overall.

Trae is a huge upgrade over dlo so we are either all in or not. Spida would probably be better, but if some are saying we are close, Trae is a big enough upgrade to get us where we want to go.

No he is not. Search your feelings Luke, use the force lol! Look, I get it, Trae is a better player than Dlo. But Trae isn’t better for this Lakers roster than Dlo/Rui + 2FRPs since Dlo shoots 4% better from 3pt and turns the ball over much less, (2.1 Dlo vs 4.4 Trae), and is a slightly better rebounder.

Actually, don’t search your feelings, search the stats and team deficiencies to see what is needed to make this team better. When Westbrook was added he had better numbers than what Trae has now but it didn’t work out because of the fit. Trae Young would be a Westbrook type mistake. He doesn’t fit team needs.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trae Young

Halflife wrote:
Halflife wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

No he is not. Search your feelings Luke, use the force lol! Look, I get it, Trae is a better player than Dlo. But Trae isn’t better for this Lakers roster than Dlo/Rui + 2FRPs since Dlo shoots 4% better from 3pt and turns the ball over much less, (2.1 Dlo vs 4.4 Trae), and is a slightly better rebounder.

Actually, don’t search your feelings, search the stats and team deficiencies to see what is needed to make this team better. When Westbrook was added he had better numbers than what Trae has now but it didn’t work out because of the fit. Trae Young would be a Westbrook type mistake. He doesn’t fit team needs.
swap Trae is not Russ. Trae and AD would be nice. However, I’m not advocating for him. I want our picks . I’m the only one here who says we aren’t close. And when you look at wolves whether they win or lose, the mavs, okc tonight, Denver. We are in their rear view mirror. They are all getting better at the top. Not us.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject:

no
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who watches the way the Wolves play and sees that type of energy and defense should quickly come to thee conclusion that Trae is not the answer.

If there is a trade to be made with ATL, it's for Murray and Capela.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Anyone who watches the way the Wolves play and sees that type of energy and defense should quickly come to thee conclusion that Trae is not the answer.

Yeah people thought you had to build a team to beat the Nuggets but Minny is looking like an all time team right now. They're playing the type of defense we haven't seen in years. Look at how we played basketball, we're so far behind, Trae Young certainly doesn't make us much better at all. You need culture, continuity, defense and luck to draft a guy like Edwards.

Lakers need a full rebuild. Trae is basically a lateral move. Gain a little offense and lose even more depth while Lebron and AD gets older.

Looks like we're gonna watch the NBA from the sidelines for years to come.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I think Lakers should think of adding a big man who could either space the floor or play good defense/rebound, or ideally both. Rather than trying to add another star guard and win in the same season.

The problem with getting Trae is we get worse defensively, and who knows how good he fits in with the offense. Sure he can put up bigger numbers, but it is not like he is going to get the same numbers unless he's taking from other players. Is that what we really want? I would prefer we didn't break the bank for another glass cannon
romanaztec
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject:

oh god no.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
2019 wrote:

Yeah people thought you had to build a team to beat the Nuggets but Minny is looking like an all time team right now. They're playing the type of defense we haven't seen in years. Look at how we played basketball, we're so far behind, Trae Young certainly doesn't make us much better at all. You need culture, continuity, defense and luck to draft a guy like Edwards.

Lakers need a full rebuild. Trae is basically a lateral move. Gain a little offense and lose even more depth while Lebron and AD gets older.

Looks like we're gonna watch the NBA from the sidelines for years to come.

Agree on how to be building but disagree on that we can't get there. Reaves, Vando, Gabe, and maybe Max have that dog in them. Need more guys with that energy.

But Trae, as great as he is on O, is as bad on D. IMO it's one giant step forward in completely wrong direction.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject:

More and more the playoffs goes on... The more and more shows that Trae is not the answer...

All about DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE!!!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: