JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
$50 mil, that's it? i guess he really didn't want to leave

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40520103/coach-dan-hurley-uconn-agree-new-6-year-50m-contract

Hurley, UConn agree to 6-year, $50M contract

Not a surprise. The Lakers job wasn't that great.

The Lakers have lost their luster. What's left other than the location?

Again, just misinformation by haters. That's not what happened.

Facts - Lakers pursued Hurley when they found out he was negotiating a deal with UConn. Lakers knew he had a solid gig and was coming off back to back titles. Something unheard of in the NCAA. Done only by Coach K and the great Coach Wooden.
Lakers wined and dined him with a great offer. Not a good offer, for all the haters, it was a great offer.
Would have been the 5th highest paid coach in the NBA, 3 of which had won at least 1 or more NBA titles.
Hurley and his wife didn't want to pursue it. He has a great gig.

Period....let's stop the Lakers don't have the same luster or whatever. The Lakers are still the TOP 1-2 franchises in the NBA, and top 5 in all of professional sports. Let's stop thinking that is not the case.
Coaches turn down offers, as do players.

Again, it's those rose colored glass wearing Laker fans that think everyone should say yes to the Lakers....if not, woe is the franchise....

I'm a ride or die Lakers fan. I'm also realistic. The JOB is not what it used to be. In the past, a chance to coach the Lakers would be Everest like, the top of the heap. Coaches would leap at the chance. It's still there but it's not as in the past. Now the lore is the Lakers notoriety. Coaches have to be wine and dined to accept the position. In the past all had to happen was the offer. I'm not on the Jeanie sell wagon. A family business is hard to let go. I think she should get qualified help in the FO, West, and Kupchak like. The Rambis's, Kurt, and Linda aren't the answer. I've been here since 1960 and don't plan on going anywhere. I'm being honest with myself when I say the location, not the job is the enticement.

Totally agree with you, sir. One day we will move past the Buss', Rambis', Rob and Lebron/Klutch. That will be great to start building things new again.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't that long ago when the best player in the league and arguably of all time chose to sign with the Lakers after they had missed the playoffs 5 years in a row.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Good thing we picked up some experienced coaching, we may need JJ to suit
up and hit some 3's.....
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
up and hit some 3's.....

41.5% career 3pt shooter. That might actually come in handy for the Lakers. I wonder if he could somehow translate his good shooting to the players.

Was Steph and Klay already good shooters before Kerr got there? Kerr is 45.4% career 3-pt shooter. Wtf!
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
deal wrote:
up and hit some 3's.....

41.5% career 3pt shooter. That might actually come in handy for the Lakers. I wonder if he could somehow translate his good shooting to the players.

Was Steph and Klay already good shooters before Kerr got there? Kerr is 45.4% career 3-pt shooter. Wtf!

And they only let Kerr shoot less than two 3s a game. Lol

In college he was over 50% on over 5 attempts a game
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA
$70M over 6 years in LA -> ~$5.67M take home / year

$50M over 6 years in Storrs -> ~$5.01M take home / year

Per NerdWallet, to maintain Storrs standard of living in LA you’d need ~$7.07M take home / year.

So LA was ~$1.5M/year short of a laterally priced offer vs UConn’s offer

Essentially, the Lakers made Hurley and offer they knew he'd refuse. It's the perfect cover to make it look like they tried to hire someone else, and they ddn't have only one coach they were seriously considering.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

Per NerdWallet, to maintain Storrs standard of living in LA you’d need ~$7.07M take home / year.

Essentially, the Lakers made Hurley and offer they knew he'd refuse. It's the perfect cover to make it look like they tried to hire someone else, and they ddn't have only one coach they were seriously considering.

Can’t poach someone in a great situation without a godfather offer, same with CEOs, medical directors, head of R&D, etc. it is what it is, our owners need a billionaire partner
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject:

Based on us drafting Knecht, Bronny, having given Christie 32/4. Running it back (most likely) with a lot of younger non impact guys like Hayes, JHS, Maxwell etc I do believe the offer to Hurley was made in good faith.

I do believe they identified the problem (or solution) to their situation being that they needed to step up their player development. They face the reality that Bron is around for a wee bit more and that AD is not a #1 alpha. So they need to develop their talent really well. Hurley was going to give them something there, as he's developed college players into NBA players. He's a proven player development coach. I am not sure what he would have done with Lebron/AD, but the young players who have been non-impact in the Ham era, I think would have greatly benefit from Hurley.

Now why they believe Redick will be able to do the job in regards to player development, I am not sure. He is completely a different resume and background than Hurley.

Oh, and Hurley totally used this as an opportunity to get a bigger deal. I saw that coming from day 1. He can say all the BS "I'm getting that deal regardless". The pressure that he may be leaving greatly pushed UConn to value him even further. We were totally used for him and his wife to get their 2 minutes of NBA fame and more love back at UConn. I would have much appreciated Pelinka if he had more candidates with a strong player development record. It was just Hurley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

That was the renegotiated. Before I believe it was 32 mill/6 years.

The Lakers offer doubled that.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

In actual reality, Hurley has one number he had been agreed to and signed on for with UConn. He negotiated with the lakers who more than doubled it. Then he went back to the school he had just signed a contract with and said re-do my numbers or I’ll walk, thus not honoring his actual extension. The idea they gave him a number he could walk away from was silly when they doubled a deal he had just signed and then Hurley weaseled out that deal for more money over UConn saying f you, we go make you stay here and honor your deal and not even let you go pro
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Based on us drafting Knecht, Bronny, having given Christie 32/4. Running it back (most likely) with a lot of younger non impact guys like Hayes, JHS, Maxwell etc I do believe the offer to Hurley was made in good faith.

I do believe they identified the problem (or solution) to their situation being that they needed to step up their player development. They face the reality that Bron is around for a wee bit more and that AD is not a #1 alpha. So they need to develop their talent really well. Hurley was going to give them something there, as he's developed college players into NBA players. He's a proven player development coach. I am not sure what he would have done with Lebron/AD, but the young players who have been non-impact in the Ham era, I think would have greatly benefit from Hurley.

Now why they believe Redick will be able to do the job in regards to player development, I am not sure. He is completely a different resume and background than Hurley.

Oh, and Hurley totally used this as an opportunity to get a bigger deal. I saw that coming from day 1. He can say all the BS "I'm getting that deal regardless". The pressure that he may be leaving greatly pushed UConn to value him even further. We were totally used for him and his wife to get their 2 minutes of NBA fame and more love back at UConn. I would have much appreciated Pelinka if he had more candidates with a strong player development record. It was just Hurley.

This is what confuses me. Wanting to build a program and then going out and hiring someone that has never done anything of the sort. I get that it’s a tough needle to thread, having Bron and AD here so you have to have something to convince them that they still care about grown ups. However, is Hurley the only college coach that has a program? No other college coaches have a program huh? They are all just flying by the seat of their pants? It’s a bit incoherent.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject:

That’s the problem with the Lakers side, everyone including us in LG knows that Dan Hurley had little incentive to leave UConn and would only leave under extraordinary circumstances. There was only a slim opening to hiring him but the opening was there, that’s why he took a job interview with us. Unfortunately, the only extraordinary circumstance that Lakers had is overwhelming salary and we simply didn’t want to provide that. You can’t treat this as any other negotiations when you knew from the start that your only had a slim chance, we needed to go big or go home to make that chance bigger
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject:

Hurley also has $1.25M in performance incentives each season:

Quote:
Big East Regular Season Champions (solo or shared): $50,000
Big East Tournament Champions: $50,000
NCAA Sweet 16 Appearance: $50,000
NCAA Elite Eight Appearance: $125,000
NCAA Final Four Appearance: $250,000
NCAA National Championship Appearance: $500,000
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
JJ Redick says the Lakers played a lot of random offense last season.

“If you look at the efficiency numbers when you look at [the Lakers] playing ‘random’ vs in sets, the sets had a higher efficiency.”

He cooked Pockets.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

“If you look at the efficiency numbers when you look at [the Lakers] playing ‘random’ vs in sets, the sets had a higher efficiency.”

He cooked Pockets.

Cranjis in heaven right now.

It's easy to criticize the last guy. I thought we ran great stuff on offense, but the players didn't always run it. Maybe that wasn't a Ham problem.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

He cooked Pockets.

He is very correct and paying attention to the analytics. Glad someone finally does.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

This is so (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) stupid. tim_nba should be embarrassed that he is trying to pass this as analysis.

By his own (bleep) numbers, Hurley is earning $600K/year more for the Lakers job. Cost of living does not (bleep) matter, he is not buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of avocados! Set housing aside -- every other item in his budget is either going to be the same (any luxury good) or is such a tiny (bleep) part of his budget that it doesn't matter (groceries, local services, etc). To the extent that he's paying more for housing -- he's literally getting real estate in LA instead of (bleep) Storrs, so yes you get your money's worth.

At the end of the day, Hurley was getting offered more money to coach for the Lakers. And yes, he might've needed to pay more in housing to live in LA than in Storrs, but now he's in LA and not (bleep) Storrs in the middle of nowhere. And that housing is not a money pit, he is presumably building equity and can sell it later. The rest of that $600K additional he earns annually can be invested.

Anyone trying to sell you a story based on naive cost-of-living adjustments is an utter fool.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

<snip>
This is so (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) (bleep) stupid. tim_nba should be embarrassed that he is trying to pass this as analysis.

Yes, utterly idiotic analysis, will make me doubt this dude's basketball analysis as well given how stupid this is.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject:

JJ Redick Interview

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

By his own (bleep) numbers, Hurley is earning $600K/year more for the Lakers job. Cost of living does not (bleep) matter, he is not buying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of avocados! Set housing aside -- every other item in his budget is either going to be the same (any luxury good) or is such a tiny (bleep) part of his budget that it doesn't matter (groceries, local services, etc). To the extent that he's paying more for housing -- he's literally getting real estate in LA instead of (bleep) Storrs, so yes you get your money's worth.

At the end of the day, Hurley was getting offered more money to coach for the Lakers. And yes, he might've needed to pay more in housing to live in LA than in Storrs, but now he's in LA and not (bleep) Storrs in the middle of nowhere. And that housing is not a money pit, he is presumably building equity and can sell it later. The rest of that $600K additional he earns annually can be invested.

Anyone trying to sell you a story based on naive cost-of-living adjustments is an utter fool.

For anyone that lives in LA, the idea that $11.5M per year might not be enough to have a good quality of life is such a preposterous notion that it could only come from someone that doesn’t live here. There is virtually no “standard of living” that can’t be achieved with the salary we offered. Some folks just can’t seem to wrap their head around the fact that he just didn’t want the job.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject:

Coach’s “explanation” for leaving AD off his ballot the last couple years. Hopefully he delegates all our defensive strategy to our de facto defensive coordinator in Nate McMillan, cause I don’t really trust dude’s acumen in that regard. I am however looking forward to how our new motion offense will look tho.

https://x.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/1811932107918176338
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214
Page 214 of 214
Jump to: