Legit Center
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Legit Center

This is the only thing the Lakers needs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject:

They have a center, AD. He’s a pretty good one too.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject:

DLo S&T-JHS-2024 FRP for Vucevic-Caruso
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DLo S&T-JHS-2024 FRP for Vucevic-Caruso

No way bulls take that. Specially with 2 PG’s incoming.

Not sure they take that offer for Vucevic alone.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

He wasn't a center when the Lakers won the championship in 2020. So if the Lakers want to win again, then they shouldn't let him play center. A true center would help out AD tremendously in terms of lessening his workload defensively and rebounding. Then we could run our offense thru AD more often not needing another ballhandler.

Offensively, just go thru Bron and AD but if we were to post up AD that much, then we cannot have on overtime duty defensively and rebounding.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject:

AD is a wing PF on defense. Just like LeBron. And that's our biggest issue.

We can go small by pairing them with a SF but AD gives up 30+ pounds to many centers.
We can go normal sized by pairing them with a true center, but that puts LeBron on someone quicker than him. That's ok for the regular season, but it gets exposed in the playoffs.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject:

^This!…but that’s the thing…it would be regular season where you would expect the older/season guys like Bron to coast. But come the postseason, our defense wouldn’t be so regular.

I disagree that Bron is some sluggish liability towards our perimeter defense as a 3, He looks bad on D now, cause he has to cover for our Dficiencies! Guys like Bron, Vando, Gabe, MaxC, Cam, make it far easier for AD on defense, even tho individually I wouldn’t classify any of them as elite players on that end like I would with AD. At the very least all them dudes do have a defensive pulse that could help AD meet less resistance at the rim.

However moving a stuD line AD to the perimeter only covers for wing players that are incapable of playing at that label. But haven’t we learned to not really doubt Bron now. When we think he can’t he still finds a way and for the most part his defense was good this year, particularly in the playoffs. Given that man AD on the perimeter to give him a hand with a legit rim protecting center still behind them…that’d be 🔥

We’ve seen how good and aggressive Vando was on the perimeter and that’s due to AD covering his ass in the paint. Now imagine AD in that Vando role with a capable defending C covering his backside (pause)…as in, the rest of the league would be shook and wouldn’t want to play that game.

I find it fantastically offensive they been trying to turn AD into some low post scoring weapon. He’s gonna get his throughout the course of the game, but F stretching the floor with concerning ourselves in how AD & another center will work on that end …instead get back to what makes our guy a true superhero and have your opps stretch themselves out for 94 feet, while grasping for air against AD on the wing playing their 4 😮‍💨

Now wouldn’t that be fantastic!?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^This!…however I disagree with Bron being a liability. He looks bad on D now, cause he has to cover for our Dficiencies! Guys like Bron, Vando, Gabe, MaxC, Cam, make it far easier for AD on defense, even tho individually I wouldn’t classify any of them as elite players on that end like I would with AD. At the very least all them dudes do have a defensive pulse that could help AD meet less resistance at the rim.

However moving a stuD line AD to the perimeter only covers for wing players that are incapable of playing at that label. But haven’t we learned to not really doubt Bron now. When we think he can’t he still finds a way and for the most part his defense was good this year, particularly in the playoffs. Given that man AD on the perimeter to give him a hand with a legit rim protecting center still behind them…that’d be 🔥

We’ve seen how good and aggressive Vando was on the perimeter and that’s due to AD covering his ass in the paint. Now imagine AD in that Vando role with a capable defending C covering his backside (pause)…as in, the rest of the league would be shook and wouldn’t want to play that game.

I find it fantastically offensive they been trying to turn AD into some low post scoring weapon. He’s gonna get his throughout the course of the game, but F stretching the floor with concerning ourselves in how AD & another center will work on that end …instead get back to what makes our guy a true superhero and have your opps stretch themselves out for 94 feet, while grasping for air against AD on the wing playing their 4 😮‍💨

Now wouldn’t that be fantastic!?

Rui$17m
JHS$3.5m
2024 FRP $3m
Gabe $11m
2 future FRPs
Which center can we get at draft day?
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Pelicans are not expected to re-sign Jonas Valanciunas, per
@MikeAScotto

New Orleans will be prioritizing floor-spacing around Zion Williamson this offseason.

Valanciunas becomes one of the best available bigs in unrestricted free agency.

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1788967417911161194
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

@gov: I would hope a KAT comes out the bag some time soon…
I mean why would they even want him…being wolves & all 😉

And while I’m dreaming & skies the limit, I sure wouldnt mind getting another turn at joining the Myle high club.

I liked your Vuc suggestion…I liked gng’s suggestion in another thread of Olynk…or was it Poetl…or was it Porky? Either way, there aren’t many options or perfect pairings per se (2way stretch 5…do we even have the assets if they are gettable), but I would take all their warts (not durable enough, not much of an offensive stretch weapon, etc) if it meant we could get AD back to where he should belong defensively.

They really need to start investing in the center position instead of just bringing in the bare (and literal) minimum for AD to play with. Dare I say Mo..there are gonna be FAs like Val, Claxton, Hartenstein, Plumlee, Theis, Holmes… but I’d push all our chips & bet the house to get AD back to making us defensively elite again, cause imho that’s our ticket to becoming legitimate winners again.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024/position/c/sort/contract_value

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Fri May 10, 2024 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject:

Can anyone define what they think a center is and why they think AD isn't one? Have yet to see a rational explanation for it.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject:

Why don’t you just ask the man himself.

Quote:
"I like playing the 4. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. I like playing the 4," Davis told Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times, describing his desire to play power forward rather than center. "I don't really like playing the 5."

Davis did express a willingness to play center if necessary.

"If it comes down to it, coach, and you need me to play the 5, then I'll play the 5," he said to head coach Frank Vogel during his introductory press conference Saturday.

Quote:
"I trust Coach's decision," Davis said. "I mean, I'm pretty sure he heard A.D. wants to play the 4, so he knows where I stand, but at the end of the day, I want to win, so if that's me playing the 5, that's what it's got to be."

Quote:
Sources told ESPN that Davis made it clear to the organization he wanted to have more support at center so he wouldn’t have to play so much 5 during the regular season.

Davis was slotted at center in 99% of his minutes last season, according to Cleaning the Glass data. While Davis' performance in the middle earned him a three-year, $186 million contract extension this summer, the Lakers' strategy with Rob Pelinka in charge of basketball operations has been to partner with their stars as stakeholders in the process.

Davis' desire to spend more time at power forward was heard. (In addition to Wood, L.A. also signed 7-footer Jaxson Hayes.) Bruh, wtf?!…you definitely ain’t listening to him if that’s the proof providing he was heard haha

If dude says he’s a 4, prefers to play the 4, is most comfortable as a 4…then for the love of the bball gawds, please make him a MF’n 4. He’s capable of playing the 5, but that doesn’t make it a good F’n idea.

More than what a FO, a coaching staff, a fan base keeps telling us…maybe we should start listening to what our defensive maestro considers himself in the grand scheme of things. I’d trust his acumen, particularly defensively, more than anyone else’s….especially when it pertains to his gawddamnself! Please listen to the man
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject:

So once again, can anyone define what they think a center is and why they think AD isn't one? Have yet to see a rational explanation.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject:

^Man still ain’t listening….so why should we? Good luck in finding your answer…have a blessed day, sir. ✌🏼
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I wish this was true. They need an all-nba first team player.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

exactly.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Yup. 1st team all nba player is the foundation for majority of championship teams. You don’t have one of those, you’re not winning a title. Period. That needs to be addressed before we even have a discussion about building a contender….
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Yup. 1st team all nba player is the foundation for majority of championship teams. You don’t have one of those, you’re not winning a title. Period. That needs to be addressed before we even have a discussion about building a contender….

Denver didn't need one last year.
GS didn't need one the year before that.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Then one is not enough.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
The Pelicans are not expected to re-sign Jonas Valanciunas, per
@MikeAScotto

New Orleans will be prioritizing floor-spacing around Zion Williamson this offseason.

Valanciunas becomes one of the best available bigs in unrestricted free agency.

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1788967417911161194

They just letting BI and Jonas walk for nothing instead of doing a S&T with these guys?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Why don’t you just ask the man himself.

Quote:
"I like playing the 4. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. I like playing the 4," Davis told Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times, describing his desire to play power forward rather than center. "I don't really like playing the 5."

Davis did express a willingness to play center if necessary.

"If it comes down to it, coach, and you need me to play the 5, then I'll play the 5," he said to head coach Frank Vogel during his introductory press conference Saturday.

Quote:
"I trust Coach's decision," Davis said. "I mean, I'm pretty sure he heard A.D. wants to play the 4, so he knows where I stand, but at the end of the day, I want to win, so if that's me playing the 5, that's what it's got to be."

Quote:
Sources told ESPN that Davis made it clear to the organization he wanted to have more support at center so he wouldn’t have to play so much 5 during the regular season.

Davis was slotted at center in 99% of his minutes last season, according to Cleaning the Glass data. While Davis' performance in the middle earned him a three-year, $186 million contract extension this summer, the Lakers' strategy with Rob Pelinka in charge of basketball operations has been to partner with their stars as stakeholders in the process.

Davis' desire to spend more time at power forward was heard. (In addition to Wood, L.A. also signed 7-footer Jaxson Hayes.) Bruh, wtf?!…you definitely ain’t listening to him if that’s the proof providing he was heard haha

If dude says he’s a 4, prefers to play the 4, is most comfortable as a 4…then for the love of the bball gawds, please make him a MF’n 4. He’s capable of playing the 5, but that doesn’t make it a good F’n idea.

More than what a FO, a coaching staff, a fan base keeps telling us…maybe we should start listening to what our defensive maestro considers himself in the grand scheme of things. I’d trust his acumen, particularly defensively, more than anyone else’s….especially when it pertains to his gawddamnself! Please listen to the man

Yep…and the crazy thing about it…the Lakers won their last championship with AD mostly playing the 4!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject:

When the Lakers won the championship AD primarily played center in the playoffs with his minutes at a 60/40 split between C/PF. These are just facts. AD is a center by definition and excels at everything a center is responsible for on a basketball court. He's also capable of playing PF but it's irrelevant what his preference is or what anyone's opinion is in the context of what he can do on the court. There's no rational argument to say AD isn't a center.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
When the Lakers won the championship AD primarily played center in the playoffs with his minutes at a 60/40 split between C/PF. These are just facts. AD is a center by definition and excels at everything a center is responsible for on a basketball court. It's irrelevant what his preference is.

I think this was more about the wear and tear on his body... During the season he expects to play majority of his time at PF. But if really needed in playoffs, he is willing to play C majority of the time.

Even in the playoffs it was match up dependent. The few minutes Dwight/McGee played helped AD to stay fresh during that run.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
When the Lakers won the championship AD primarily played center in the playoffs with his minutes at a 60/40 split between C/PF. These are just facts. AD is a center by definition and excels at everything a center is responsible for on a basketball court. It's irrelevant what his preference is.

I think this was more about the wear and tear on his body... During the season he expects to play majority of his time at PF. But if really needed in playoffs, he is willing to play C majority of the time.

Even in the playoffs it was match up dependent. The few minutes Dwight/McGee played helped AD to stay fresh during that run.

He's willing to play center not the majority of the time but full time as he's demonstrated the past 2 seasons including playing the most games of his career this year. Doesn't matter what he expects or prefers in this context. He's a center and there's no way to disprove that. He anchors the defense, protects the rim and on offense he plays strictly out of the post. That is the textbook definition of a center.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Denver didn't need one last year.
GS didn't need one the year before that.

First team caliber* Jokic and Curry absolutely deserved to be on there instead of the players that got picked in front of them.

Booker and Tatum over curry lol
Embiid over Jokic lololol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: