Lakers Sign UDFA Blake Hinson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
manlisten wrote:
MJST wrote:
Swider's issue wasn't that he could only shoot.
His problem was he had no quickness nor ability to attack off the dribble to punish closeouts and was extremely slow footed and had a very slow first step.

Hinson is a movement shooter, a spot up shooter. He has a better handle, more athleticism, can come off screens and attack off screens and dribble past closeouts and get to the basket.

They are not the same.

Why do you think they both went undrafted? How often do undrafted players become rotation players?

Multi year college players. For some reason scouts think 24 year old rookies are "too old" but they salivate over Euroleague players in their late 20s and early 30s :3

And Austin Reaves was undrafted.

Scottie Pippen Jr.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Reaves told teams not to draft him because he and his agent felt the Lakers were the best spot for him. Swider and Hinson went undrafted because they're extremely one dimensional and haven't flashed enough upside in any other aspects of the game.

And none of those teams had to listen if they saw something deeper in Reaves.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Might be the rookie I’m more excited about. His stroke is beautiful.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Knecht4 wrote:
He can barley jump. Lol

like i said, poor man's cole swider, lol

He looks better than Swider to me.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Should be even better if he was in better shape. Looked good and has deep range
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject:

FIVE threes from Blake Hinson in his Summer Lakers debut

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1809713834577514541
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
FIVE threes from Blake Hinson in his Summer Lakers debut

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1809713834577514541

Yep. Malik Beasley, but built like linebacker. Higher defensive upside.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Factors to Consider

Lakers' Scout Team have a track record of discovering hidden nuggets

Hinson is 24 years old, hence staring at one of the last (if not the last) chance to play in the NBA that would motivate him to "Never Take a Play Off" because his maturity is far beyond the teenager that were drafted that often feel entitled with the need to be catered to
~ Taking "older" players that other teams deem of lessor value than teenagers that one has to wait for them to develop for them to contribute has been identified by Rob as the players to target - except for Ronny, for obvious reasons.

Hinson had (hopefully) a medical issue that was resolved that is a fresh memory that anything can be taken away at any time, hence valuing any opportunity to fulfill his dream of playing in the NBA

Already has a NBA body and mentality to be offered an opportunity

If one feels that the greatest success is him shooting the ball (which his high-volume outside shooting has proven in the past to be the right decision), need to pass the ball is minimized

It has been stated that he is a good rebounder but lacks quickness (probably on the perimeter) like most NBA players, hence the need to play Good Team D is key - kind of like J.J.'s offensive strengths and defensive weaknesses. In addition, highlights the need to have key players where defense is their game - see Vando and Vincent

Hinson is a good choice on a player to take a chance on because he can contribute much quicker than teenager. Plus he is much more prepared for the craziness of life in LaLaLand that often eats up many players in the past
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Hinson should be expected to pass any more than JJ or Malik Beasley would be asked to. They're the play finisher. His goal should only be to successfully finish the play within 0 to 3 dribbles, otherwise pass it to the PG or whomever else is open.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Effortless stroke. Hopefully he makes strides defensively.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I'd give him minutes over Reddish but then again I'm not high on Reddish.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Saw a lot of this guy at Pitt. Can’t believe he was undrafted. Not gonna get too excited but kid can ball. Cautiously optimistic that he can contribute.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Definitely a promising first outing. But Cole Swider looked amazing in his first SL stints as well. Question is if he can hit these shots at the nba level. But he’s bigger than Swider, and while there were definitely times I could see the slow feet I read about, he also moved better overall than I was expecting. Definitely excited to see him play more SPL games.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:34 am    Post subject:

Hinson's game reminds me a lot of Paul Pierce (not on the same level, of course). Big body, while not being particularly athletic. But, certified shooter, who doesn't need a lot of space to get his shot off. Not someone who's going to break his man down, off the dribble. However, if he gets the ball in the post, can use his physicality to manufacture buckets.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Hinson's game reminds me a lot of Paul Pierce (not on the same level, of course). Big body, while not being particularly athletic. But, certified shooter, who doesn't need a lot of space to get his shot off. Not someone who's going to break his man down, off the dribble. However, if he gets the ball in the post, can use his physicality to manufacture buckets.

Sounds like a Dennis Scott clone.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Sounds like a Dennis Scott clone.

That’s a good one, 3-D
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject:

If he puts in the work he could have a future in the League or G-League.
He definitely got game plus he's a straight-up SNIPER!

Good thing the Lakers signed him to a two year/two way contract.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2024/7/4/24192431/lakers-rumors-blake-hinson-contract-nba-free-agency-two-way-summer-league

Blake Hinson Pittsburgh Panthers 2023-2024 Highlights

roblo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject:

He seems to be decently athletic here in the work out video. Looking at him with his shirt off he can probably get in better shape and that would help his quickness.

https://youtube.com/shorts/m_nCr0kwWL8?si=-NBNsW26l4TWmJ9m
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject:

you think blake hinson will ever do this to ant edwards? lol

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NGFq7cyyXpY
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Definitely a promising first outing. But Cole Swider looked amazing in his first SL stints as well. Question is if he can hit these shots at the nba level. But he’s bigger than Swider, and while there were definitely times I could see the slow feet I read about, he also moved better overall than I was expecting. Definitely excited to see him play more SPL games.

Swider actually shot a higher % from 3 in college and SPL so far. Thing is, everyone knows he can shoot. It's not like scouts were unaware and LG has outsmarted everyone. He went undrafted because he lacks any other skills. So a one dimensional player won't see the court much and won't get the type of volume needed for their scoring to offset the lack of everything else. And if the shot is off that night, forget about it. What's encouraging is that he had the best +/- on the team (0) but that's a result of him getting up 8 shots in 19 minutes and hitting at an unsustainable 62%. He'll have to add more dimensions to his game or hit 60% every night to stick in the league.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Swider actually shot a higher % from 3 in college and SPL so far. Thing is, everyone knows he can shoot. It's not like scouts were unaware and LG has outsmarted everyone. He went undrafted because he lacks any other skills. So a one dimensional player won't see the court much and won't get the type of volume needed for their scoring to offset the lack of everything else. And if the shot is off that night, forget about it. What's encouraging is that he had the best +/- on the team (0) but that's a result of him getting up 8 shots in 19 minutes and hitting at an unsustainable 62%. He'll have to add more dimensions to his game or hit 60% every night to stick in the league.

He's definitely not a top-tier athlete, which is probably why he was undrafted. With his body type, he may be outquicked, but he won't be outmuscled or overwhelmed, so if he has decent court awareness, he can be an average defender. If his shot transitions to the NBA, he can be a decent rotation player.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject:

He got a steal! Progress!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Slow feet definitely more evident today. Also a rougher outing shooting wise today.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Effortless stroke. Hopefully he makes strides defensively.

That’s a problem, his defensive stride. He struggles to close out shooters.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Seems like there's already a scouting report on him. Defenders were in his grill knowing the only thing on his mind was to shoot regardless of whether he was open or not.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: