View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: 2024 Paris Olympics

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

Can't wait for the feces relay in the Seine.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

my boy got an invite from a French fencing club for a summer camp at Provence during the Olympics, really don't wanna go, but the boy has been looking forward to it for so long. lots of people, Olympics price gauging and hot temperature, bad combination for a family trip that's for sure.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

I’ll be in the south of France, near the Spanish border, just after the Olympics end. Hopefully there is still a spirit in the air, just without the mass of people
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
my boy got an invite from a French fencing club for a summer camp at Provence during the Olympics, really don't wanna go, but the boy has been looking forward to it for so long. lots of people, Olympics price gauging and hot temperature, bad combination for a family trip that's for sure.

Could be an indelible memory for the boy. Try if you can. Maybe ditch the rest of the fam and just take him. Cheaper, more memories/bonding, and while he is occupied you can (bleep) around on your own
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Just shows how polluted the open waters are. I mean swimming in the lakes and rivers in the Summer Olympics has been a problem for the past couple of games.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Could be an indelible memory for the boy. Try if you can. Maybe ditch the rest of the fam and just take him. Cheaper, more memories/bonding, and while he is occupied you can (bleep) around on your own

we plan to go there couple weeks before the camp starts and visit as many places as we can before we drop him off at the all inclusive fencing camp for one week.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I’ll be in the south of France, near the Spanish border, just after the Olympics end. Hopefully there is still a spirit in the air, just without the mass of people

you SOB

There is a $10/20minute train from Hendaye to San Sebastian! San Sebastian is an amazing topless beach

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Just shows how polluted the open waters are. I mean swimming in the lakes and rivers in the Summer Olympics has been a problem for the past couple of games.

I thought he was just implying that the river is dirty so I looked it up. Damn it's literally (bleep). I wouldn't even walk along the banks of that river.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I thought he was just implying that the river is dirty so I looked it up. Damn it's literally (bleep). I wouldn't even walk along the banks of that river.

I believe there is industrial waste discharge feeding into the river. They are trying to clean up the river just for the Olympics but just remember the problem was ignored for decades.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

you would be missing out. There are some cool things along that walk.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Paris is the most overrated city I have ever been to.

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

you would be missing out. There are some cool things along that walk.

I am sure in terms of sight seeing and things that are around it's beautiful. But if it smells like septic then it would just kill any enjoyment I would have.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Pretty much the same feedback I've heard from people who visited that the reality didn't match the perception.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Pretty much the same feedback I've heard from people who visited that the reality didn't match the perception.

Always found this fascinating: Paris Syndrome

Quote:
Paris syndrome (パリ症候群, Pari shōkōgun) is a cluster of psychiatric symptoms exhibited by some individuals when visiting Paris, that can be viewed as a severe form of culture shock.

The syndrome is characterized by symptoms such as acute delusional states, hallucinations, feelings of persecution (perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, hostility from others), derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, as well as psychosomatic manifestations such as dizziness, tachycardia, sweating most notably, but also others, such as vomiting.

While the syndrome has been particularly noted among Japanese tourists, perhaps due to the way in which Paris has been idealised in Japanese culture, the syndrome has also affected travellers from other countries such as China and South Korea.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It’s hot, dirty, crowded, and the people are generally rude to those who don’t look like them (or possibly just in general).

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I was referring to this:

Parisians threaten to poop in Seine River to protest sewage contamination ahead of Paris 2024 Summer Olympics
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It’s hot, dirty, crowded, and the people are generally rude to those who don’t look like them (or possibly just in general).

Great info. I am planning a trip next year and was thinking Italy or France. I think I know my answer. Unless you guys have some info on Italy.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

you SOB

There is a $10/20minute train from Hendaye to San Sebastian! San Sebastian is an amazing topless beach

We are basically on the other side—doing Girona/Cadaques and towards Collioure France. So basically Costa Brava/Spanish wine country and into the Catalan part of France (still French but significant Spanish influence historically)
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Great info. I am planning a trip next year and was thinking Italy or France. I think I know my answer. Unless you guys have some info on Italy.

They are both incredible. I love Paris but I can see why it is disappointing for people. It’s like Tokyo—you need a week there to really get it, minimum. Otherwise you can rush and not enjoy it and the annoying parts will stick with you. I mean at the end of the day it’s a major city so it has major city issues (lots of jerks, dirty, crowded, etc)

Italy is awesome. Depends on where you go. Florence and Venice are amazing and you’ll have a terrific time if you go there. Rome is cool but a bit more like Paris (meaning, major/crowded city issues).
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

They are both incredible. I love Paris but I can see why it is disappointing for people. It’s like Tokyo—you need a week there to really get it, minimum. Otherwise you can rush and not enjoy it and the annoying parts will stick with you. I mean at the end of the day it’s a major city so it has major city issues (lots of jerks, dirty, crowded, etc)

Italy is awesome. Depends on where you go. Florence and Venice are amazing and you’ll have a terrific time if you go there. Rome is cool but a bit more like Paris (meaning, major/crowded city issues).

Thank you for the info.

Sorry for taking this off track. Now back to the Olympics.

LFG team USA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Wow KWahi. Load managing the Olympics now? Clippers and ballmer made you (bleep) made soft
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I found Venice to be a tourist trap. I liked two of the surrounding islands (Burano and Torcello), but Venice itself was sort of underwhelming.

Florence and Rome were cool, though. I did not get to see Milan, Sicily, or Naples.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject:

For almost 20 years I bought into the whole "Paris actually sucks" denigration and even propagated it, having never come near the country. I have always heard about Paris syndrome, etc. I mourned the opportunity to visit before the post-2014 influx because then it really sucked. I finally visited last september and felt like an ass because it is such a magnificent city. It is not particularly filthy/sketchy/smelly. I expected urban grime that looked like Hollywood, Macarthur Park, Union Square/Tenderloin, Little Haiti. I am sure those parts exist (Montmarte?) but my travel has not yet taken me to them...they are very well-hidden. I took a cruise on the Seine, smelled nothing but fried butter and sugar. Loved it so much I that came back in November, and will return this October. Such a wonderful place. If you don't like it, you are probably the kind of person who is into Kpop or some weird tacky (bleep) like our boy CandyCanes.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:14 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
C M B wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

you SOB

We are basically on the other side—doing Girona/Cadaques and towards Collioure France. So basically Costa Brava/Spanish wine country and into the Catalan part of France (still French but significant Spanish influence historically)

That sounds amazing. We idn't have more than a couple of hours in Girona where we were able to walk the walls of El Call, and then get back on a train to Barcelona. Actually didn't know it was so far up, I actually thought we traveled south to get there. Love the bleeding of cultures into one another near the borders. Seeing signs and menus in San Sebastian blew my mind. Mysterious 3rd language has entered the game. Very happy to hear you get to go back to Spain, hope you have a beautiful time.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: