May 12th: "Bryant Receives Another Honor" "Kobe and Barkley, continued..."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: May 12th: "Bryant Receives Another Honor" "Kobe and Barkley, continued..."

Bryant Receives Another Honor
Mike Bresnahan, From Times Staff and Wire Reports
May 12, 2006

After a one-year absence, Kobe Bryant returned to the NBA all-defensive team.

The Laker All-Star was one of six players selected to the first team in a vote of the league's 30 head coaches, the NBA announced Thursday. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

Bryant received the same number of votes as New Jersey guard Jason Kidd, so both made the first team.

The four other first-team players are Detroit center Ben Wallace, San Antonio forward-guard Bruce Bowen, Sacramento forward Ron Artest and Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko.

Bowen was the leading vote-getter, with 55 points — one more than Wallace — in making the team for the sixth consecutive season.

Wallace was selected to the first team for the fifth consecutive season. He recently was chosen as the league's top defensive player for the fourth time in five years.

Bryant struggled defensively last season and was left off the team for the first time since 1999.

He was ninth in the league in steals this season, with 1.8 a game.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

Sir Charles too tough on Kobe
Barkley can’t handle good-natured ribbing
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

LOS ANGELES — Man, I figured Charles Barkley could play the dozens, talk a little smack. The way Barkley spent all NBA season blasting Kobe Bryant, I just assumed the Round Mound would know how to respond when someone served him a little bit of what he dishes nightly on TNT’s wonderful pre- and postgame show “Inside the NBA.”

So I was shocked when I heard Barkley immediately go into fat-joke retorts on the Dan Patrick radio show Wednesday in response to the barbs I slung his way earlier this week on ESPN’s “Jim Rome is Burning.”

“Dan, it’s funny, what’s my man, Jabba the Hut, has been killing me the last couple of days,” Barkley told Patrick, who was caught totally by surprise.

“Who’s Jabba the Hut?” Patrick asked.

“Jason Whitlock,” Barkley responded. “He’s been killing me all week, like I’ve got a vendetta against Kobe. It’s just funny how people, he said I called Kobe a chicken, and I said that’s not exactly what happened. See, and that was really unfair.”

Seriously, I was expecting better from Barkley. I’ve been out in LA all week, surrounded by Lakers and (bandwagon) Clippers fans, so I started paying close attention to the NBA playoffs. The Lakers-Suns series was marvelous. I was on the brink of becoming an authentic, unapologetic Kobe Bryant fan.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:

NBA royalty running a team? It could happen

By Ed Sherman
Tribune staff reporter

May 11, 2006, 10:19 PM CDT

ATLANTA -- Magic Johnson always is looking to expand his business empire. One way is to own an NBA franchise.

And get this: He would like to buy in with Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley.

ChicagoTribune
"If the right franchise became available, trust me, I'd make the calls," Johnson said.

"What better situation for us than to do it together?"

Johnson said he hadn't had any substantial discussions with his close friends about owning an NBA team. But judging from his talk, he has given the concept some thought.

Johnson envisions a setup that would have Jordan running the basketball operations. He would handle the business side and Barkley would be, well, Barkley.

"Charles could handle the sponsors and dealing with people," Johnson said in an off-the-air conversation while working as an analyst for TNT this week.

"And if we needed somebody to talk harsh to the team, he could do that."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:

Fan Base Not Exactly Built on Star Power
By Jerry Crowe, Times Staff Writer
May 12, 2006

You would at a Laker game, but you won't find valet parking for Clipper games at Staples Center. Nor will you find Denzel, Dustin or Dyan.

And you won't find Jack.

What you will find are "regular people, as opposed to corporations," said filmmaker Penny Marshall, the only celebrity who regularly attends both Laker and Clipper games. "I like the Clipper audience better."

With tickets costing about half of what the Lakers charge to see the same opponents, Clipper games generally draw more of a "blue-collar" crowd — one that is less self-absorbed and more attuned to the action on the hardwood than to the "players" in the seats.

"The Lakers are more about flash," said Michael J. Sammis, a music industry executive and Clipper season-ticket holder who also attends Laker games. "The games seem to draw a more wannabe crowd because some people are more interested in being seen at a Laker game than being at the game itself. As a result, the fans … are a beautiful, talented, arrogant bunch.

"The Clippers are essentially the opposite. They are more workmanlike, often substituting sheer grit for flash. Their style of play focuses on getting the job done no matter if it's pretty. As a result, the fan experience tends to be … a bit more hardhat than designer jeans."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:

Don't print that

snippet: "Former Mr. Basketball Minnesota and Mounds View graduate Nick Horvath successfully recruited former Moorhead State star Chris Anderson of Forest Lake to become a teammate on his Wellington, New Zealand, professional team this spring.

Look for Horvath to play for the Los Angeles Lakers' summer league team. The Timberwolves also showed interest in him."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: