Lakers Smokescreen Article, per Hoopsword...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

By the way ... Ive said it in earlier threads, but again, if you want to take the smoke screen analogy to its conclusion, then Roy is the smokescreen for another Laker target at #2.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
As I said earlier, if the Lakers are entertaining this trade its because they can get two athletic starters for Odom. They think Roy can start and contribute immediately. Possible ROY candidate. They might think that Tyson and Kwame would be a fearsome defensive combination, young and athletic. Im sure they don't like Tyson's contract or his health problems. But I bet Phil thinks he can get some nice garbage offense out of Tyson once he teaches him the triangle offensive rebounding philosophy.

Such a move frees them up to use the MLE or a Mihm package to obtain a starting 3, which should be easier. It also might mean that the Lakers dont trade Mihm because they see him as a valuable bench player who can bring offense in the post off the bench. By getting two starters for Odom, the Lakers have much more flexibility in terms of athletes as assets.

Again, all of that being said, I doubt the Lakers trade Odom.
Laker brass deny that whole heartedly. Posters and East Coast sports writers have been "entertaining" themselves with speculation... that is all.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Deng is not obtainable by the Lakers. Neither is Nocioni or Heinrich. Ben Gordon MIGHT be obtainable ... Tyson Chandler probably is obtainable because the Bulls see Odom at the 4. I dont know their roster enough to know who would play center for the Bulls, though.

I think Gordon next to Kobe and Odom would be great. But, the Bulls probably do not trade Gordon for Mihm.

I dont like Odom at the 4 for the Lakers. Though, I think it entirely possible they go that way next season.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
ValisJason wrote:
As I said earlier, if the Lakers are entertaining this trade its because they can get two athletic starters for Odom. They think Roy can start and contribute immediately. Possible ROY candidate. They might think that Tyson and Kwame would be a fearsome defensive combination, young and athletic. Im sure they don't like Tyson's contract or his health problems. But I bet Phil thinks he can get some nice garbage offense out of Tyson once he teaches him the triangle offensive rebounding philosophy.

Such a move frees them up to use the MLE or a Mihm package to obtain a starting 3, which should be easier. It also might mean that the Lakers dont trade Mihm because they see him as a valuable bench player who can bring offense in the post off the bench. By getting two starters for Odom, the Lakers have much more flexibility in terms of athletes as assets.

Again, all of that being said, I doubt the Lakers trade Odom.
Laker brass deny that whole heartedly. Posters and East Coast sports writers have been "entertaining" themselves with speculation... that is all.

Agreed. Though, where there is smoke ...
lakergurlz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
re4ee wrote:
Bystander wrote:
What is this with Chandler that people want him here?
Is it 7 points career average, no double digits in any category or injuries that make him so attractive?
Yeah, folks, THIS is the question I want answered as well. I don't get the Chandler-love around here.

It has little to do with Chandler...

It's the Lamar hate which really is bizzare.

You could put just about any name you want in a deal, our brethren would cheer it as loud as can be heard from Los Angeles to beautiful downtown Bakersfield...

Laker fans would trade basketball player, no matter who for Lamar Odom...

They would be singinging a different tune if they seen how many giant leaps backward our guys took in the first month of the season. as maybe one of the "trade em up folks" would be heard saying well, we wouldn't have been doing any better with Odom, in an attempt to save face.

Chandler, and kwame, a rookie who Smush will have on the bench for God knows how long as soon as it is obvious that he isn't ready for primetime which won't be long, while the only two guys who are the most efficient at the tri would be Luke,and Kobe...

Whoa... Talk about a loooooooonnnngggg season....

Hey what's wrong with Bakersfield?

Not a thing... In fact the reason I love to use Bakerfield so much is because my parents were comical enough as they were traveling about the state to have me in that illustrious city on the very first day of July!

I visit it every now,and then just so I can continue to ask the question

Why?

Hey I spent my first 21 years there until I moved to Tulsa. July 1 must be a special day there now in Bakofield.

Bakofield, yup, that bout says it, i've had to endure it for 18 LONG YEARS, but always good to go back when the Lakers play up there
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
buphead wrote:
AV wrote:
Chandler can play the 4 that is where he was on the bulls when they had Curry he actually played pretty well there, you could move kobe to sf and roy to sg with banks at pg, not sure what chandlers contract is i think pretty high so not sure if the lakers would do it although it doesn't seem that bad...of course the Bulls? I doubt they trade their main "big" for LO....the rumor of LO for either both their picks, both picks and BG, or number to 2 and BG and all those variants seems to make more sense for the bulls and the lakers.....but i am sure as this article pointed out whatever is getting out there about the lakers is probably a bunch of BS, just like last year....which means the lakers are scheming which is fine by me

That would easily be a top 5 starting lineup defensively. Lacks a little offense though. Banks won't do much offensively. I'd prefer to keep Kobe at SG, Roy at PG, and trade Mihm and Cook for a 12-15ppg starting SF, which isn't a stretch of the imagination by any means.

You do know that Kobe predominantly played SF this year and it was his most lethal.

I'd keep Bryant at SF and let him continue to kill people.
In the triangle SF and SG are both "wing" positions, so on offense there is little difference between them. On D, I think Kobe covered more 2's than 3's when the Lakers played straight-up man-man. I wouldn't characterize that as predominantly SF. Kobe is a 2 guard, by style, and play.
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:

This is a real "tweener" for me......I like what Chandler adds on 'D" and the boards.Intimidation factor is big.Roy will be a real nice player,and it's quite obvious that the lakers see something special in him.And if the lakers actually do give up on Odom,Roy must be for real.I saw him enough to think highly of him myself......

But I sure hate to give up odom,he is soooo very versatile,and his attitude (which showed true heart and integrity to me last season) and unselfish style are hard to give up.he rounded the corner at seasons end,and I think he can still go from there to actual all star levels....

But...........if it were to happen.....

Chandler and kwame could get 20/20 a night for us easy.I would think 15 and 9 from Kwame and 8 and 12 from Chandler if both are given 35+ minutes a night....Plus Chandler provides that off the ball blocking and intimdation.

With Roy we can move Kobe to the 3 (wing spot that he enjoys so very much),and by getting Banks we can have a sure fire point stopper.....

Is there a real chance at getting Peja for A signed George and Mihm?

If so,we could go with

Roy/Banks/Sasha
Kobe/Banks/Sasha
Peja/Walton/26th pick
Chandler/Turiaf
Kwame/Bynum

Oh well it's nice to think of these deals,but I also feel like trading odom might be a mistake.
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

After this deal...Mihm for Battier? Add smaller pieces on either side to make it work finacially and talent-wise.
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I want no part of Peja. For all those who are opposed to Murphy but want Peja, that doesn't make any sense. Murphy may not be the best player defensively, but Peja? He might as well just stay back and cherry-pick everytime his team is on defense. He's not as consistent offensively as he used to be either.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ValisJason wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ValisJason wrote:
Shoes, I am not hyping Chandler. This is not 3 years ago. I think he will be a very good defender rebounder, and would be very pleased if he averaged 10 ppg. Injury concerns? Yep.

As for Roy, he is not overhyped. No one has ever said he is LBJ. I said that I think he will be a solid NBA starter, ala Byron Scott or Eddie Jones. And I think he will contribute immediately, yes. That is not a rare opinion. is it just an opinion? Yes.

That is EXACTLY what the Lakers need right now ... (why oh why did Mithc including Grant instead of Eddie in the trade??):

Quality starting players next to Kobe so that he doesnt have to carry the load by himself. And as I say earlier, I dont think Odom is necessarily the second scorer next to Kobe. He might be. But at the 3? We need at least one 20ppg scorer next to Kobe, and I dont think Odom will ever average 20 ppg. I love his rebounds and assists, love his slashing to the hoop, hate his inconsistent long range jumper.

Wait a minute, your complaint is that Lamar isn't a good enough second option (which I agree with), but there isn't a good second option in this deal. Roy definitely won't be now and I don't think his potential is that much better than 16ppg.

I think Roy can be a second option ... I would LOVE Roy with Odom and Kobe, but thats not possible. I think Roy will be a more consistent offensive player than Odom in terms of pure scoring. Maybe eventually a 20ppg scorer, maybe a career 16ppg, I dont know.

But, more importantly, as Ive always said, the deal would replace Odom with TWO starters. And, it frees you up to use the MLE or a Mihm package on a scoring small forward, such as Miles or Peja (Pipe) that would bring even more offense, and yet be backed up by stellar shot blocking in Tyson Chandler. Again, if you can turn Odom into TWO starters, at difficult to fill positions such as the 4 and 1 ... it gives you MUCH more flexibility and versatility.

I've like the idea of turning Odom into two starters, but chandler brings down the offense dramatically and I really doubt Roy is that much better than Odom as a scorer right now and perhaps only a little bit better in the future. It's not that I'm against your idea of how it would benefit the lakers by trading Odom, but I just don't think Chandler fits.

More on roy..I think Roy is similar to Odom in regards that he's in a jack of all trades master of none mold. Which limits his ceiling in a lot of deparments, he doesn't solve the second scoring option for the lakers. I think that has to be solved in some fashion for the lakers. It doesn't free up cap space so I don't know where you get that.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

:roll: If the lakers did obtain chandler, which I pray to god they don't then you'd have to get rid of Kwame. Those two on the court at the same time would have PJ quitting at midseason. We're talking single digit Basketball IQ's here, people. I can't believe anyone actually thinks this would be a good idea. Kobe would get Quadruple teamed with a lineup of Banks, Roy, Kobe Tyson and Kwame...what a joke. And no, that lineup is no where near similar to what detroit starts. All of detroits players except Big Ben are better than any of those players not named kobe. We'd get blown out every game. And you guys thought watching detroit play was boring/painful. That team would be much worse. Yikes!
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Given this Scenario......

I would probably go ahead and make the deal. Your defensive front would be incredibly strong with Kwame and Chandler. They compliment each other PERFECTLY on the defensive end. On the offensive end you are asking Kwame to improve ALOT minus Odom. With the possible addition of Marcus Banks we could be stellar defensively. Couple that with the possible package of Mihm, Mckie and Cook or Smush and add a capable scorer/defender at the 3 and we are a better team. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. And i didnt even mention the 2nd pick overall. Seeing as how there is a gaping whole at the 3, and strong defenders in the front court and backcourt i wouldnt be shocked to hear Adam Morrison or Rudy Gay's name called.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

buphead wrote:
After this deal...Mihm for Battier? Add smaller pieces on either side to make it work finacially and talent-wise.

I like Battier lots, but I'd be interested in going after Childress from the Hawks as an alternative. He seems vastly underratted to me and with all the swing men they have, I'm sure he'd be available. He seems like an "Odom-light". Versatile and long, can pass, board, and score. Has that funky looking jumpshot but hit for about 55% last year from the field.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
:roll: If the lakers did obtain chandler, which I pray to god they don't then you'd have to get rid of Kwame. Those two on the court at the same time would have PJ quitting at midseason. We're talking single digit Basketball IQ's here, people. I can't believe anyone actually thinks this would be a good idea. Kobe would get Quadruple teamed with a lineup of Banks, Roy, Kobe Tyson and Kwame...what a joke. And no, that lineup is no where near similar to what detroit starts. All of detroits players except Big Ben are better than any of those players not named kobe. We'd get blown out every game. And you guys thought watching detroit play was boring/painful. That team would be much worse. Yikes!

Ha! So true! Kobe's BBall IQ is higher than the other 4 combined. Roy would probably improve, but Banks, Chandler and Kwame together would be like the three stooges on the court. PJ might slit his wrists and Tex would blind himself with a hot poker just so he wouldn't have to watch.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Odom and the No. 26 for Chandler and the No. 2 pick, I'd do the deal and ask what else Minny wants for Kevin Garnett.

We'd get a Trade X in the Chicago deal. Sign Banks with the MLE (we'd still be over the cap) and then use the Trade X on a veteran free agent. With a team of Kobe and KG, it shouldn't be hard to get one.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:

Ha! So true! Kobe's BBall IQ is higher than the other 4 combined. Roy would probably improve, but Banks, Chandler and Kwame together would be like the three stooges on the court. PJ might slit his wrists and Tex would blind himself with a hot poker just so he wouldn't have to watch.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to watch it, either. No NBA League Pass for me, thanks! Yuck!

Last edited by karlmalonefan on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

datniggbstyle wrote:
Given this Scenario......

I would probably go ahead and make the deal. Your defensive front would be incredibly strong with Kwame and Chandler. They compliment each other PERFECTLY on the defensive end. On the offensive end you are asking Kwame to improve ALOT minus Odom. With the possible addition of Marcus Banks we could be stellar defensively. Couple that with the possible package of Mihm, Mckie and Cook or Smush and add a capable scorer/defender at the 3 and we are a better team. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. And i didnt even mention the 2nd pick overall. Seeing as how there is a gaping whole at the 3, and strong defenders in the front court and backcourt i wouldnt be shocked to hear Adam Morrison or Rudy Gay's name called.

Couldn't have said it better. I would rather hear Gay's or Morrison's name called if we got the second pick. Gay is a solid defender and will score at the NBA level. Morrison is not as good of a one on one defender but his grit and determination will help make up for part of that, and I'll sacrafice a little defense for Morrison's ability to score the ball...especially if we'd already have 4 defensive stoppers in Banks, Kobe, Chandler, and Brown. The kid's a gamer. He would average 15ppg in P & G...just as much as Odom. Even with Morrison, defensively we'd be top 10 in the league and offensively top 10 as well.
JasonPR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

They can keep Chandler.....
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Think of the bigger picture folks -- Kevin Garnett.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
Odom and the No. 26 for Chandler and the No. 2 pick, I'd do the deal and ask what else Minny wants for Kevin Garnett.

We'd get a Trade X in the Chicago deal. Sign Banks with the MLE (we'd still be over the cap) and then use the Trade X on a veteran free agent. With a team of Kobe and KG, it shouldn't be hard to get one.
What??? without odom, who the heck would minny want for KG? Chandler? This is getting more and more ridiculous as we go. Put down the crack pipes, guys.

A) we're not getting KG for anything other than Kobe Bean Bryant.

B) Odom for Chandler and Roy would be a horrible trade. You guys are way overvaluing Roy. He's a rookie, a top prospect in a weak draft, but still a rookie. KB would be buried under the weight of having to carry that team. Get real, guys! We'd be in the lottery for sure. :roll:
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
Think of the bigger picture folks -- Kevin Garnett.

We don't need another star to win it all. I'd be happy with a package of a solid player or two and/or a lottery pick for Odom. That's more like what we'd get anyway for Odom.
KAMILLION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I would love to have Chandler and Roy on this team. However, I wouldn't give up Odom to get them. Bynum, yes. Lamar, no. And since there is no way in hell we get Chandler and the #2 without giving up odom, I guess its a moot point with me.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

For Tyson Chandler and the #2, nope.

For the #2, one of their guards and a very large trade exception, absolutely.
buphead
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Gordon, #2, trade exception for Odom and #26 would be ideal. I'd settle for Chandler and #2 for Odom and #26. Gordon would be our legit #2 scorer and start at the point. With the number 2 get Gay or preferably Morrison. Mihm starts at the 4 or we trade him for a starting PF who can give us that weakside shotblocking to compliment Brown.

Gordon
Bryant
Morrison
(Mihm or whoever we get for Mihm)
Brown

Offensively we'd be set. Defensively, depending on who we could get at PF for Mihm, we'd be pretty solid. Morrison would be our weakest defender, but out of any of the top prospects in this draft, I'd trust him to work hard to get better.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Next page.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: