OT: Kevin Durant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill_bridges
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: OT: Kevin Durant

Only posting this as his work ethic will probably remind some of you of a certain Laker player...

www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/02/28/28durantnewtruck.html
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:

"You need to get in his ass," Jackson said Wanda Pratt told him. "You coach my son."

It starts with mom!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Kevin Durant

bill_bridges wrote:
Only posting this as his work ethic will probably remind some of you of a certain Laker player...

www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/02/28/28durantnewtruck.html

Great find and read

Thanks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:

now only if jerry west can bite the trade on Odom, Bynum, Luke+
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

we can only hope he'll do a Steve Francis.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

looking at his stats, the guy is the best 6'9" player coming out of college since magic.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

Great One wrote:

So, if you were the Laker GM, you would trade Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, and Luke Walton for a player that has never played in an NBA game? Not a "Great" idea IMO.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

His handle is not that good. And without a polished handle, any superstar talk should be put on hold.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
His handle is not that good. And without a polished handle, any superstar talk should be put on hold.
His handle his fine for a 6'9"+ 18 year old freashman power foward...

IMO, he's the number 1 pick in the draft,.. if he comes out...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

He's not a PF, look at Marvin Williams, about the same height, yet he's nothing but a tweener. Even if he grew to 6'10, he's still way too skinny to be a PF(KG was 6'11 and grew to 7'0).

And if he can't play PF, then he needs to play SF, in which case, his handle needs to be a lot better. In addition his defense also needs to be improved. Right now, he's Marvin Williams with a shot.

Finally, when one tries to determine whether someone's numbers will translate, it is very important to look at the assists number, whether from the summer league or college. And so far, he's been nothing but a chucker. No way I'd pick him over Oden.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
Great One wrote:

So, if you were the Laker GM, you would trade Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, and Luke Walton for a player that has never played in an NBA game? Not a "Great" idea IMO.

What did Lebron , Melo, Garnett and Even Kobe all have in common before in

the NBA? Unproven Talent. If you had bothered to read the ariticle, Durrent

work ethic is up there with kobes. THIS KID POTTENTIAL IS COMPARED TO

KOBE AND IS PLAYING UP TO IT.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:
His handle his fine for a 6'9"+ 18 year old freashman power foward...

IMO, he's the number 1 pick in the draft,.. if he comes out...

i pretty sure boston will get oden
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
He's not a PF, look at Marvin Williams, about the same height, yet he's nothing but a tweener. Even if he grew to 6'10, he's still way too skinny to be a PF(KG was 6'11 and grew to 7'0).

And if he can't play PF, then he needs to play SF, in which case, his handle needs to be a lot better. In addition his defense also needs to be improved. Right now, he's Marvin Williams with a shot.

Finally, when one tries to determine whether someone's numbers will translate, it is very important to look at the assists number, whether from the summer league or college. And so far, he's been nothing but a chucker. No way I'd pick him over Oden.
Have you seen Texas play...

If you are comparing him to Marvin Williams... we should just end this conversation now... the guy has been called the next KG and you bring up Marvin Williams and his height...

But since we are talking about height,.. how tall is Barkley? How tall is Zo? Small for their position... but they turned out okay...

Actually, after the 'chucker' comment (which is laughable), the kid is shooting 49% from the floor, 42% from 3 point land, 18 - 25 in his last four games for 72%)... I'm ending to conversation.... there is nothing left to debate...

Last edited by TACH on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I've watched almost every game. This guy looks like the real deal. His handles are pretty good. And he plays exceptional defense for spurts.
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:

If you are comparing him to Marvin Williams... we should just end this conversation now... the guy has been called the next KG and you bring up Marvin Williams and his height...

But since we are talking about height,.. how tall is Barkley? How tall is Zo? Small for their position... but they turned out okay...

Actually, after the 'chucker' comment (which is laughable)... I'm ending to conversation.... there is nothing left to debate...

Yes, I've seen him play, all he does is jack up shots over smaller defenders. Now he may still be able to get away with that due to his height in the pros, to the tune of 20 a game, but to score 28-30 points on that alone? I don't think so.

Even if he does expand his range to where he'll average 30, where will be the assists and defense? Like I said, no way I take him over Oden. In fact, there's this kid Julian Wright, who from what I've seen and read, is a much more well-rounded player, so I'm not sure I'd take Durant over him.

In fact, I'm calling it right now, Durant will be the Carmelo to Wright's Wade for this draft.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:
TACH wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:

Actually, after the 'chucker' comment (which is laughable)... I'm ending to conversation.... there is nothing left to debate...

Yes, I've seen him play, all he does is jack up shots over smaller defenders. Now he may still be able to get away with that due to his height in the pros, to the tune of 20 a game, but to score 28-30 points on that alone? I don't think so.

Even if he does expand his range to where he'll average 30, where will be the assists and defense? Like I said, no way I take him over Oden. In fact, there's this kid Julian Wright, who from what I've seen and read, is a much more well-rounded player, so I'm not sure I'd take Durant over him.

In fact, I'm calling it right now, Durant will be the Carmelo to Wright's Wade for this draft.

Durant is averaging 5-6 asisst a game in the Pac-10 and 2 blocks per

game.....
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:

Only 1.4 assists per for the season
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:

Great One wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:
TACH wrote:
ProjectAB wrote:

Durant is averaging 5-6 asisst a game in the Pac-10 and 2 blocks per

game.....

pac-10
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Great One wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
Great One wrote:

Durant will be a superstar, I believe that, but it's still a stupid trade. That's way too much talent to give up for ANY wing player period. We didn't give up Bynum for a HOF PG - one of the best to ever lace em up whose still playing at an elite level, and most agreed with that decision given Bynum's potential - yet you want to trade Bynum AND Lamar AND Luke PLUS for the potential in a SF? And you think that's a good idea? Wow. It reminds me of someone whose eyes are too big for their stomach that they order far too much food - it's called overkill.

You're far too willing to trade far too much of our best players here. Not a smart trade at all. And for the record, I can't imagine a scenario where Jerry West would have traded anywhere close to all of that (a potential franchise caliber big man - which is extremely rare to find - a guy equally as versatile as Durant, and a team's glue guy) for the potential of even our own Kobe Bryant. Indeed, what he traded for Kobe was Vlade Divac, and that's a BIG difference than anything you're suggesting here.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Great One wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
Great One wrote:

Durant will be a superstar, I believe that, but it's still a stupid trade. That's way too much talent to give up for ANY wing player period. We didn't give up Bynum for a HOF PG - one of the best to ever lace em up whose still playing at an elite level, and most agreed with that decision given Bynum's potential - yet you want to trade Bynum AND Lamar AND Luke PLUS for the potential in a SF? And you think that's a good idea? Wow. It reminds me of someone whose eyes are too big for their stomach that they order far too much food - it's called overkill.

You're far too willing to trade far too much of our best players here. Not a smart trade at all. And for the record, I can't imagine a scenario where Jerry West would have traded anywhere close to all of that (a potential franchise caliber big man - which is extremely rare to find - a guy equally as versatile as Durant, and a team's glue guy) for the potential of even our own Kobe Bryant. Indeed, what he traded for Kobe was Vlade Divac, and that's a BIG difference than anything you're suggesting here.

Your contradicting yourself when you critasize me for giveing way to much

talent for a kid you yourself see who has the potential to be a great

player. If your still suggesting that the lakers can grab a proven talent

like durant for a vlade divac type player your foolish. There is only a

handfull of players bynum should be traded for and it should be only for

the future of the lakers. Kidd is not one of them and was a joke when his

name was brought up. If you look at my trade realistically instead of a

fantasy, lakers would have to give that much talent.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:

lovin it, lets get this guy on the lakers. If Jerry West was still our GM you'd believe they'd be a way.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

The next Larry Bird for Boston?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I just question what ProjectAB sees on the floor.

Even with all the KAJ training Bynum has, Durant is STILL more polished than Bynum now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31579

The numbers say enough. The scouting reports glow brighter. Wait 'til he gets his A/TO ratio up, and it's not like he's a bad passer either.

7'5" wingspan? That's just sick.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

All this over Wright?

As if Wright's handle was even that polished? Or that he even had a decent jumpshot?

More athletic Boris Diaw? Or Dirk Nowitzki with KG length/athleticism?

Call it as you see it.

I'll take the guy with more guard skills and more length and equal athleticism.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ProjectAB wrote:

Like Rashard Lewis? Like Dirk? You think KG is driving to the basket from 20'?

Let me get something across. They only need 1 dribble and 2 steps. From 20', they're at the rim, or shooting a high percentage shot within the context of their game.

When you're that tall and long and have guard skills, you don't have to mess around changing directions like a PG.

See LeBron James.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: