HD-DVD
46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Very true. I was trying to make him feel better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
Disc prices are still ridiculous, but I don't buy much to begin with.

I took the same route.

I got an A3 a few months back for $160 just to have a nice upconverting player.

I did not plan to buy any HD discs and haven't.

It depends on the quality of the dics, but some look so good I feel no reason to invest in HD discs.

In fact, my Star Wars III SD disc looks better than the Bourne HD disc which came free with the player.

Same with Spidey 3 SD, looks awesome.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject:

At Circuit city they had a 1080p connected to a Blu Ray player. They were just playing a demonstration disc of a bunch of outdoor shots.

But I'll be damned if it didn't look like the outdoors was just on the other side of the TV. It was that clear.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Lost in HD is amazing
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:

format war is done... Blu ray the winner... I have a Toshiba HD Player and all I'm gonna do is get the Samsung Blu Ray/HD Player and build up my library of HD movies and Blu Ray Movies. In the past week I've picked up HD boxsets of The Matrix, Ocean's series, Mission Impossible, Harry Potter box set. Etc. Now is the time to build up your High Definition Library with HD DVD going for half what they are going for last month. Next month I'll start building up the blu ray collection. But I am going to replace all my regular DVD titles with HD DVD. Reason being its WAY CHEAPER now. buy two get one free at 19.99 each. Thats 13.33 bucks per HD!!!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Problem will be when your HD-DVD player dies you will have no way to play the HD-DVD titles.

I doubt Samsung will be producing combo players for much longer.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I just bought the Samsung Blu Ray and HD Dvd Player. Toshiba will still service their HD DVD players. And I do believe that Samsung will service their players too so I think I'll have a way to play my HD Collection. If not I'll just throw it away after all its not that expensive anyway... hahahaha RAIN ON THAT PARADE ... :: freakin Debbie Downer::
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Not trying to rain on your parade, really.

There is probably someone, somewhere still repairing Laserdisc so you should be O.K.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Not trying to rain on your parade, really.

There is probably someone, somewhere still repairing Laserdisc so you should be O.K.

I know a couple people who still have working BetaMax players.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Bet they have 8 tracks too
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Yet the PS3 can be upgraded and already supports future BR...

I am not a gamer, all I want is a player. Why should I pay extra for a game console if I won't be playing games on it and only watching movies? I am not against Blu-ray, I just don't want to purchase a new player every year. I think it's reasonable as a consumer.

What are you complaining about?

PS3 is a Blu-Ray Player that you can update. Just use it as a blu-ray player. No one said you HAVE TO PLAY GAMES on it.

Some of the TOP home a/v systems purchased by those filthy rich people have PS3's in their A/V rack, because the A/V experts already knew that the best Blu-Ray player is the PS3. I'm also referring to the fact that these people who have PS3 installed in their racks, don't really use it to game (aren't expected to). But...guess what? THEY CAN, if they want to.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject:

Maybe he is not 'filthy rich' and sees no reason to pay for extra for features he will not use.

Besides if you want an HD player that also upscales your existing SD titles nicely, the PS3 ain't it.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject:

BoredTiger wrote:
safari_in_cali wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Yet the PS3 can be upgraded and already supports future BR...

I am not a gamer, all I want is a player. Why should I pay extra for a game console if I won't be playing games on it and only watching movies? I am not against Blu-ray, I just don't want to purchase a new player every year. I think it's reasonable as a consumer.

What are you complaining about?

PS3 is a Blu-Ray Player that you can update. Just use it as a blu-ray player. No one said you HAVE TO PLAY GAMES on it.

Some of the TOP home a/v systems purchased by those filthy rich people have PS3's in their A/V rack, because the A/V experts already knew that the best Blu-Ray player is the PS3. I'm also referring to the fact that these people who have PS3 installed in their racks, don't really use it to game (aren't expected to). But...guess what? THEY CAN, if they want to.

You just don't get it. Of course I know that PS3 can be used as a player, but it's also a gaming console, so it's always going to cost more than a standalone player. Or you're going to tell me that I am not paying any extra to have the ability to play games? I'll give you a gaming analogy. This is like buying a Wii bundle with crappy games for $600, while the console itself only costs $250. I don't know about now, but during the holidays it was pretty much the only way to buy a Wii. A lot of people got those bundles even though they won't be playing most of the games. But guess what? They can, if they want to. As far as me, I'd rather wait until I can buy a standalone console for $250. And I don't mind waiting until Blu-ray players cost $150 and can be easily updated. To me it's more about the principle than about the money. Consumers should have more choices instead of being forced to overpay for something they don't need.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
HD competition still looms for Blu-ray in the form of HD downloads. With devices such as the Xbox 360 and Apple TV capable of delivering high-definition content to your living room over the Internet, it's quite possible that many consumers will look to sources other than Blu-ray players to get their HD fix. Sony has to be just a bit uneasy about that prospect.

Blu-ray is the decided winner in the battle against HD DVD and is guaranteed to be the physical HD format of choice going forward—there's no doubt about that. But the proliferation of high-speed Internet access and increasing availability of download services means that Blu-ray is going to face challenges that VHS and DVD never did when they were at the same stage of their lifecycles.

LINK

Also count HD content available via OnDemand as a competitor...

Blu Ray is far superior than downloads no question... but with HD DVD gone... there is no incentive for Blu-Ray to drop prices of the hardware, drop prices of the movies, or future proof their devices...

I learned my lesson from buying DVDs (of which a good amount are still in their wrapper).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:

I want a 50 gig flash drive
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:

HD-DVD Death Imminent:
Quote:
Toshiba is to put HD-DVD out of its misery. Reuters confirmed reported Saturday afternoon that it will cease manufacturing HD-DVD equipment, following earlier reports from Japan's NHK public broadcasting network.

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:

LMAO!!!

I guess it will make a good upconversion DVD player and whatever HD DVDs you find for it will be dirt cheap!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LMAO!!!

I guess it will make a good upconversion DVD player and whatever HD DVDs you find for it will be dirt cheap!!!!

So happy i returned those 8 HD DVD movies i bought in mid december, once i saw Warner jump ship . I still have the matrix trilogy in HD DVD but i got in on sale so its ok. I probably wont be picking up a blu ray player though, i actually bought a ps3 and returned it, didnt think it was worth it paying that much for something ide mainly use as a blu ray player. I think ill pick it up again once sony drops the price since its the best Blu Ray player on the market, and im sure my xbox 360 is close too crapping out on me again.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I've been a Blu-ray proponent but safari has a point. Who wants to drop hundreds of dollars on a player that might not just be obsolete but almost useless whenever firmware version x.y is released?

As for those suggesting the PS3 player, it leaves a lot to be desired. The remote is Bluetooth-based, meaning it is incompatible with universal remotes, which are IR-based. Furthermore, it does not support the upcoming high-definition audio formats.

We shouldn't have to compromise if we're putting that much money down on the player. I can't wait to build my home theater this summer, but until these matters are resolved, I'll be very hesitant to purchase ANY Blu-ray player.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Also, former HD DVD stalwart Universal Studios announced it would begin releasing its titles on Blu-ray. Fellow HD DVD backers Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks were expected to follow suit.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called ‘next-generation format war’ and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, president and CEO of Toshiba. “While we are disappointed for the company and, more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass-market opportunity for high-definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”
He added that Toshiba has no plans at this time to adopt Blu-ray.

Toshiba will stop shipments of HD DVD players and recorders by March, and will stop production of HD DVD drives for computers as well. The company added it would continue to provide product support and services for current HD DVD owners.

Complete story
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I've been a Blu-ray proponent but safari has a point. Who wants to drop hundreds of dollars on a player that might not just be obsolete but almost useless whenever firmware version x.y is released?

As for those suggesting the PS3 player, it leaves a lot to be desired. The remote is Bluetooth-based, meaning it is incompatible with universal remotes, which are IR-based. Furthermore, it does not support the upcoming high-definition audio formats.

We shouldn't have to compromise if we're putting that much money down on the player. I can't wait to build my home theater this summer, but until these matters are resolved, I'll be very hesitant to purchase ANY Blu-ray player.

Sony is a hardware company not a software company. They're not going to sully their name by releasing hardware that goes obsolete so soon. It'll be firmware and once again us law-abiding, copyright worshiping citizens will be inconvenienced by old-media companies trying to retain their stranglehold on American media culture.

And companies like Slysoft will continue to make bank.

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:

Sony is a hardware company not a software company. They're not going to sully their name by releasing hardware that goes obsolete so soon. It'll be firmware...

Quote:
Almost all Blu-ray players on the market have gone through a firmware update or two since their release, and some owners may wonder whether their existing units can be upgraded to a higher Profile. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case for any standalone disc players, which lack the decoding chips in their hardware needed for PiP or the internet ports needed for BD-Live. A simple firmware update won't cover it.

LINK
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Funny read: Death of HD-DVD
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject:

HD-DVD Downfall
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject:

Star Trek Season 2 Cancelled Not Delayed

bummer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: