Calling All Burrito Headz - List The Best Spots For Burritos!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
chef wrote:
San Diego has this BOMB place called JV's Taco Shop in Mission Valley. Kinda hard to fine but they have this roast pork burrito which is the shiznit!

See, LS! Another person that calls them "shops" down in SD! And that roast pork burrito does sound kinda off the hook - damn.

http://www.jvsmexicanfood.com/menu.htm

Damn, they have some good prices. How are the portions?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Portions are good... portions are always big no matter the mexican place here, go big or go home.

and I guess we do call them taco shops.... although if it is a place I go to often, I'll usually go by the name of the place. Like JV's, another decent place on moreno down here is called Nico's.

But again, if you want the best Mexican food in San Diego, go to old town. Old Town Mexican Cafe is my personal favorite... I love their freshly made tortillas.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
chef wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
chef wrote:
San Diego has this BOMB place called JV's Taco Shop in Mission Valley. Kinda hard to fine but they have this roast pork burrito which is the shiznit!

See, LS! Another person that calls them "shops" down in SD! And that roast pork burrito does sound kinda off the hook - damn.

you can have a heart attack for under 10 bucks.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Thank god I'm not obsessed with Burritos. which is why I'm losing weight and getting in shape.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject:

can someone explain to me the appeal of burritos? aside from my Aunt's burritos (just meat and a tortilla), I don't like them.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Chipotle is really, quite good. Not only do they strive to get organic ingredients

Do they use organic ingredients or not? I don't care what they strive, do they or don't they? And if not, this "Strive" nonsense is a bunch of bullcrap.

Wait, this is a burrito, not a damn salad bar. I want my burrito to taste like a burrito, not some foofy salad.

Quote:
Also, calling Chipotle un-authentic sort of implies that maybe the ingredients used are second rate.

No, it implies that chipotle/qdoba et al. are unauthentic which they most absolutely are.

Quote:
The opposite is true. The guy that opened the first Chipotle in Colorado is a professional chef who wanted to open a small, fast casual restaurant to make some money so that he could open his "real" restaurant. When the lines quickly went out the door, he decided to open another...and was shocked to find that they had even longer lines. Ingredient matter more than anything to professional chefs.

As you can tell, I"m a fan of this company...so much so that I bought stock in it some time ago...and am very happy that I did.

Well at least you made some money for eating such a sub-par burrito.

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:

And to all Chipotle/Qdoba lovers. My dad said:

Take your burrito down to East LA and we'll show you what we think of your foofy burrito!

Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
Thank god I'm not obsessed with Burritos. which is why I'm losing weight and getting in shape.

A burrito is very healthy with all the fiber and protein. You need your burrito education!

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
chef wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
chef wrote:

you can have a heart attack for under 10 bucks.

Now that's what I'M talkin' 'bout!
LakersAFI
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
King Taco in the lead in this thread.

Another thing I'd like to add is that King Taco is the ONLY burrito place that uses salsa spicy enough to make me tear up. THAT'S A GOOD BURRITO!

Yes!! man even alot of the green salsa makes me tear up, but the red one has some sort of drug it burns but i want more of it
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Chipotle is really, quite good. Not only do they strive to get organic ingredients

Do they use organic ingredients or not? I don't care what they strive, do they or don't they? And if not, this "Strive" nonsense is a bunch of bullcrap.

Wait, this is a burrito, not a damn salad bar. I want my burrito to taste like a burrito, not some foofy salad.

Quote:
Also, calling Chipotle un-authentic sort of implies that maybe the ingredients used are second rate.

No, it implies that chipotle/qdoba et al. are unauthentic which they most absolutely are.

Quote:
The opposite is true. The guy that opened the first Chipotle in Colorado is a professional chef who wanted to open a small, fast casual restaurant to make some money so that he could open his "real" restaurant. When the lines quickly went out the door, he decided to open another...and was shocked to find that they had even longer lines. Ingredient matter more than anything to professional chefs.

As you can tell, I"m a fan of this company...so much so that I bought stock in it some time ago...and am very happy that I did.

Chipotle does use organic ingredients at every single store, but they are so large now that they cannot get enough organic product for each item on their menu. Some of their stores are able to guarantee that all of the Chicken, Pork, and Beef are raised by organic critereon. (No growth hormones, Etc.) I say they "Strive" for this because Chipotle, more than any other company in the world, is increasing demand for organic products. So much so, that they need to purchase more than what the market can currently supply. Strive is not, as you say, "bullcrap". It is the reality of the marketplace.

If you think Chipotle's burritos taste, or look like a salad, that proves two things. One, you don't know (until now) what organic means. Two, you've never had a burrito from Chipotle, which defeats your non-authentic, "sub-par" argument. (Because you've never even tried it, now have you.) There is nothing salad like about a Chipotle burrito.

I don't think anyone who has actually been to a Chipotle would classify it as "Foofy". If anything, Chipotle was inspired by the taqueria's which can be found up in the Mission District of San Francisco...they were just smart enought to turn that concept into a chain.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chipotle does use organic ingredients at every single store, but they are so large now that they cannot get enough organic product for each item on their menu. Some of their stores are able to guarantee that all of the Chicken, Pork, and Beef are raised by organic critereon. (No growth hormones, Etc.) I say they "Strive" for this because Chipotle, more than any other company in the world, is increasing demand for organic products. So much so, that they need to purchase more than what the market can currently supply. Strive is not, as you say, "bullcrap". It is the reality of the marketplace.

If you think Chipotle's burritos taste, or look like a salad, that proves two things. One, you don't know (until now) what organic means. Two, you've never had a burrito from Chipotle, which defeats your non-authentic, "sub-par" argument. (Because you've never even tried it, now have you.) There is nothing salad like about a Chipotle burrito.

I don't think anyone who has actually been to a Chipotle would classify it as "Foofy". If anything, Chipotle was inspired by the taqueria's which can be found up in the Mission District of San Francisco...they were just smart enought to turn that concept into a chain.

Wow, I am feeling better about eating at Chipotle now.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Steak burritos, dammit! TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A GREAT STEAK BURRITO!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

You want steak steak or asada? I've never seen a Mexican place that didn't have carne asada on the menu.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd love to see someone go into a place like Ruth's Chris or Arnie Morton's and order a steak burrito.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

You want steak steak or asada? I've never seen a Mexican place that didn't have carne asada on the menu.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd love to see someone go into a place like Ruth's Chris or Arnie Morton's and order a steak burrito.

Ok, so is Carne Asada the same or similiar to a steak burrito?

And damn...Ruth Chris...Yum...
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
The place right next to Johnny Pastrami's is pretty good.. is that King Taco?

The JP's in Culver City? Yeah, I think that's KT.

It's Tito's Tacos. A lot of people love that place but I've never been very fond of it.

El Tepeyac is the bomb. If you're lucky, Manuel will be outside handing out candy...or if you have a hangover, he'll hook you up with a shot of brandy.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

There was also this place in Lincoln Heights called Manny Loco's. I think they have new ownership now but they used to have this burrito called the Manny Loco special with steak picado and a chile relleno (and beans and rice of course).

I think the new ownership still makes the same burrito but it's not the same, but still pretty good.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Since someone brought up Johnny's Pastrami, I think that place is ok but the best pastramis are at The Hat.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Carne Asada is generally what the "whiter" establishments call steak. It's a flank cut.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
The place right next to Johnny Pastrami's is pretty good.. is that King Taco?

The JP's in Culver City? Yeah, I think that's KT.

It's Tito's Tacos. A lot of people love that place but I've never been very fond of it.

El Tepeyac is the bomb. If you're lucky, Manuel will be outside handing out candy...or if you have a hangover, he'll hook you up with a shot of brandy.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Since someone brought up Johnny's Pastrami, I think that place is ok but the best pastramis are at The Hat.

The Hat in Dena is off the hook. Where are there others?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Carne Asada is generally what the "whiter" establishments call steak. It's a flank cut.

Ah! Ok, cool. Got it. Thanks.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

There's one on Valley and Garfield in Alhambra (the original). There's one on Rosemead just south of Las Tunas in Rosemead. There's one on Atlantic just north of the 60 in Monterey Park/East LA. I saw one in Upland recently too.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

There's one on Valley and Garfield in Alhambra (the original). There's one on Rosemead just south of Las Tunas in Rosemead. There's one on Atlantic just north of the 60 in Monterey Park/East LA. I saw one in Upland recently too.

Damn, that many? I never knew they had THAT many. Thanks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Freebirds. Isla Vista, Ca.

El Taquarita Rincon in IV and in Carpernteria. The best pastor I have ever had.

Speaking of food, I had the best thing I have ever eaten for lunch today. A Cha Cha Roll at Marina Sushi in Ventura. A tempura shrimp wrapped with cucumber and rice, then wrapped with river eel and avocado. Topped with an eel sauce. Damn, that was as close to heaven as I have ever been.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: