Kobe Bryant - Our MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krstell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:

finally. he won it.
LA1969
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Excellent post DB, absolutely brilliant.

Co-sign. You need to be writing for nba.com or espn, give em some class. Congrats to Kobe, well deserved and about effing time!
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject:

No surprise that DB's post is just as impressive as the feat it is meant to describe.

Let's hope that this is only the beginning of many MVPs Kobe wins. Preferably the MVPs that are given in June!

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
kobewan_kenobi24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Let's hope that this is only the beginning of many MVPs Kobe wins. Preferably the MVPs that are given in June!

I agree... and let's also hope that the MVP that they hand in June are not won in the same fashion as Jerry West did in 1969 (winning the MVP, but losing the championship)!
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

Bryant Runaway Winner of MVP Award

Quote:
"I don't know anybody who's ever deserved this trophy more. I don't know anybody who's ever worked as hard to accomplish what he's accomplished," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who had five-time MVP Michael Jordan with Chicago and was at the helm of the Lakers when Shaquille O'Neal won the award in 2000.

Bryant received 82 first-place votes and 1,100 points in the media vote. He was followed by New Orleans' Chris Paul (28 and 894), Boston's Kevin Garnett (15 and 670) and Cleveland's LeBron James (1 and 438).

"I've said since two, three years ago that Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league," James said before the Cavaliers faced the Celtics in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series. "He's been the best player the last five, six years. I'm glad he won it. His team had a great year."

I am pleased to see that Kobe ran away with it...

Richly deserved and over due.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Great *sob* post, DB. It has been great watching Kobe grow up in a Lakers uniform. I think that's why I feel very proud of him and for him -- we're able to see his accomplishments and his maturity on a nightly basis. Not that the world didn't already know that he's the best player today, but now his peers have recognized him as well.

The strange thing that came out of the press is the news that Jerry West never won one.
Sportsmuze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

Beautiful DB. Thank you.

Kobe.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:

somewhere chick is smiling.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Kobe Bryant...82 first place votes, 1105 points

we used to joke about Kobe dropping 82...now, he drops a different version of 82. lol
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is Gladiator. Nice.

...I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. -Kobe (after several seasons of hate)

I am required to score, so I score..That is enough. -Kobster
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
BigGameCris
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: At last

The best player in the NBA for the past 4 to 5 years has the MVP title!!!!

Congrats Kobester!!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject:

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I think the wording OUR MVP, was for precautionary measures. I think when they printed these shirts, they were not told yet who would win the MVP. It was quite obvious, but no guarantees, so if Paul had won, "OUR MVP" could still be passed out in game 2.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject:

Not sure if this were posted in this thread yet. With the mike in hand, Kobe proclaimed that we WILL be playing in June and let's get this thing (party?) started!! I was like - I know he didn't. But he did and I was happy that he has this much confidence in this team.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject:

Kudos MVP!!
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:

congrats Kobe!!! long overdue

of course Stern had to stay ..:"there were a lot of MVP caliber players this year"...aaawwww...his little King didn't make it, cry me a river
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:

AWESOME piece, Dancing Barry! AWESOME!
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

Some of you who DIGG...may want to Digg this fine piece here:

http://digg.com/basketball/Kobe_Bryant_Our_MVP
Ghumps
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe Bryant - Our MVP

DancingBarry wrote:
In 40 or 50 years from now, when we're fortunate enough to be old men and women, one of us will take our grandchild to a Laker game. The kid will be wide-eyed and in awe as Grandpa points out the championship banners hanging from up high.

Looking up to the rafters, the kid sees No. 24 hanging among the Laker legends. "Grandpa, did you see Kobe play? What was he like?"

Grandpa stares at the massive jersey for a while. His whole demeanor changes, like he's just finished punching out a pipe-wielding heavyweight champ of the world in a bar fight and jumping a motorbike over a canyon that would make Evel Knievel crap.

Grandpa turns to the boy, and this being Hollywood and all, he says through clinched teeth, "Kid, you ever see the movie, Jaws?"

The dumbstruck stuck kid blinks his answer and Grandpa continues anyway. "He was like that shark. His court was like that water. You know what they told people in that movie?"

The kid shakes his head.

"Get out of the water," the old man says.

Grandpa continues to ramble on with hyperbole as if he's describing the biggest bad ass of all superheroes and supervillains combined into one being. "He was forged of molten steel, ate it for breakfast, too. While the sun slept, he woke and worked out with the Devil. He called it his 666 workout. Know what game he scored 81? His 666th. He once outscored an entire team in three quarters before they called him off. He was a one-man pack of wild dogs. He was the black mamba. He was..."

Of course, now the kid thinks Grandpa has lost his mind. While Grandpa rambles on, the kid thinks back to the first thing that he said, "Get out of the water." Yeah, the kid thinks, I bet that's what Kobe was like.

Meanwhile, Grandpa's lost in memories of the 2007-08 season when Kobe won his first MVP.

"Legends leave their footprints, boy," Grandpa says. He continues on and the kid gets the gist of what the old man is saying. It doesn't matter the job, the industry, the competition. Whatever the realm, the true legends leave a mark of greatness.

Kobe Bryant is Legend. You may not like him, you may hate that he can drive you crazy a thousand different ways...or you may love him like a brother. Regardless of your opinion, you cannot argue that the man is legend.

You can try to argue away three rings. You can try to argue away 81. And now you can try to argue away MVP.

At some point people just need to admit that Kobe rubs them the wrong way. It will save a lot of time and effort. Admit it and be done with it.

The haters said he couldn't win MVP when his team was barely above .500. This, despite dropping strings of 50-point and 40-point games on opponents to keep an overwhelmed team afloat. Turn the tables on the haters and give Kobe a team with one of the best records in the NBA and the haters start to look for new excuses.

It doesn't matter. Kobe is the best player in the sport of basketball. Everyone has known it for years. Not only that, the man is the most fierce and feared gladiator in the game. I don't think you could say that about a lot of MVPs, especially in recent years.

Now you can.

He has channeled that fierce drive, that personal pride, fury and will to win into MVP.

Some of us already knew he was the best. We knew he was the game's best gladiator.

Kobe signs off the messages on his website with "Strength and honor," a line quoted from Maximus in the movie, Gladiator. These days, however, he refers to Pau Gasol as Maximus Decimus Meridius, The Spaniard.

But there is really only one gladiator. Kobe Bryant is Gladiator. Kobe Bryant is Legend.

It wasn't a glorious ride, this MVP season. In fact, it started off ugly -- all good epics do. There was carnage in Laker land. As Phil Jackson described the first home game, "I turned to one of my coaches and said, 'Are those boos?' And one of them said, 'Yeah, those are boos.' I was surprised."

A good portion of Laker fans were steamed about Kobe's demand to be traded. You almost wish you could hear Kobe screaming back at the crowd like Maximus, "Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"

But he, too, wanted a separation from the franchise Laker fans love. He was willing to put down the golden armor and battle in another arena.

As we now know, cooler heads prevailed. Afterall, you don't trade Kobe Bryant. Even if he wants it.

The Lakers have come a long way from private meetings in Spain this summer with Jerry Buss and Kobe, and remarks by Buss from Hawaii about looking into trades. These were the worst of times.

And Laker haters loved it. They drank it up.

Who knows what Laker players will wear the golden armor years from now? May they be great and bring many rings. But, right now, we get to enjoy one of the greatest to ever suit up.

Guess what Laker haters? The MVP is wearing the purple and gold.

Kobe Bryant is MVP.

Kobe Bryant is Gladiator.

Kobe Bryant is Legend.

he deserves it
huiru
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: tata

Kobe Bryant is Legend. You may not like him, you may hate that he can drive you crazy a thousand different ways...or you may love him like a brother. Regardless of your opinion, you cannot argue that the man is legend. "good!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: