Mihm's contract and options for the team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuces
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Mihm's contract and options for the team

I've done my fair share of reading and research on the CBA and how it affects player's contracts, but I still have a question as to whether or not the Lakers can trade Chris Mihm this offseason, or for that matter next year due to the fact that he (presumably) will exercise his player's option.

Anyone more knowledgable than myself can answer this question?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mihm's contract and options for the team

deuces wrote:
I've done my fair share of reading and research on the CBA and how it affects player's contracts, but I still have a question as to whether or not the Lakers can trade Chris Mihm this offseason, or for that matter next year due to the fact that he (presumably) will exercise his player's option.

Anyone more knowledgable than myself can answer this question?

Because of a technicality that I won't go into, Mihm can be traded, but only if he gives his permission to be traded.
silver shadow8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mihm's contract and options for the team

activeverb wrote:
Because of a technicality that I won't go into, Mihm can be traded, but only if he gives his permission to be traded.

It's called a no-trade clause, like what Kobe has. There, explained in half a second.
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:

Mihm to Chicago for Cedric Simmons. The Bulls were one of the teams Mihm worked out for last summer.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mihm's contract and options for the team

silver shadow8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It's called a no-trade clause, like what Kobe has. There, explained in half a second.

Except it isn't. Kobe's no-trade clause is just that, a no-trade clause in his contract. Mihm's ability to veto a trade is similar to that of Devean George's. It's not built into his contract, it's in effect due to language in the CBA. Because Mihm is effectively playing under a 1-year contract (ignoring his player option for next season) and would be full Bird free agent after this season, he cannot be traded without his consent.

However, if he exercises the option, there's no reason why they couldn't trade him next season or even during the offseason if he were to exercise his option early enough.
infidel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:

Have Gary Vitti buy some black face paint from Home Depot, apply liberally all over Mihm's face and body, and have him throw on Bynum's jersey for Game 5.

"I have a multi-year contract and if it doesn't work out, I could be playing golf."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mihm's contract and options for the team

Exick wrote:
silver shadow8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Except it isn't. Kobe's no-trade clause is just that, a no-trade clause in his contract. Mihm's ability to veto a trade is similar to that of Devean George's. It's not built into his contract, it's in effect due to language in the CBA. Because Mihm is effectively playing under a 1-year contract (ignoring his player option for next season) and would be full Bird free agent after this season, he cannot be traded without his consent.

However, if he exercises the option, there's no reason why they couldn't trade him next season or even during the offseason if he were to exercise his option early enough.

Exactly. That's the technicality I didn't want to go into. No team would give Mihm a no-trade clause.
deuces
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the answers, appreciated.

My question is this... after Chris Mihm exercises his option (once again, almost assured he will) then he isn't on a 1-year contract anymore, thus is he still able to veto any trade he is involved in?

I was aware that he had to approve of any trade last year, but what about this year? Does he still have to give his OK in any trade scenarios, or can we ship him out?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:

deuces wrote:
Thanks for the answers, appreciated.

My question is this... after Chris Mihm exercises his option (once again, almost assured he will) then he isn't on a 1-year contract anymore, thus is he still able to veto any trade he is involved in?

I was aware that he had to approve of any trade last year, but what about this year? Does he still have to give his OK in any trade scenarios, or can we ship him out?

Once he exercises his option, he becomes tradeable regardless of his consent.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Following up on what Exick said -- consent is required if the player is on a one-year contract and will be a Bird free agent. They apply this not only to one-year contracts, but also to contracts that MIGHT be one-year due to the exercise or non-exercise of an option. That's why Mihm qualifies -- he has a two-year contract with a player option, and is treated as though he has a one-year contract until the option is exercised -- thus his consent was required to trade him this year.

If he does not exercise his option, then his contract ends on July 1. He's not tradeable before then (say, in a draft day trade) because ending contracts can't be traded after the season ends.

If he does exercise his option, then he's tradeable (no consent required, because his contract becomes a two-year contract) through next February's trade deadline.

BTW, this stuff is all answered in my FAQ: http://www.cbafaq.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deuces
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I've read through that faq and consider it a great resource, I was just lazy this time, hehe.

So, if he gets traded, he also gets full bird rights with the team he's traded to, correct? I'm just figuring that its quite likely he'll be some minor ballast in a trade scenario next season if it pops up. As much as I appreciated what Chris did for our team, and how much I enjoyed watching him play, I think his career is over.
cccplus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject:

trade him. i like him as a person but we gotta make room for the Machine
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject:

Trade him... maybe we can still get a late first round pick.
Ray_Gonzoles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject:

Looks like Chris Mihm is going to exercise his option for next year and resign with the Lakers.

Quote from the LA Times:

Chris Mihm continues to wait, patiently, for his time on the court, gaining strength in his surgically repaired right foot with every passing day.

Mihm returned to action in late March after having a screw removed from his right heel, but has since experienced good days and bad ones. Specifically, he has had trouble with his foot tightening up after practice or exercise.

"In the last week or two, I'm starting to feel really good," he said. "It's gotten a lot better with [the foot] staying loose for a lot longer periods. I kind of thought that was something I was going to have to deal with the rest of this season."

Mihm has been doing foot-mobility exercises with athletic performance coordinator Alex McKechnie and has been working on his lower-body strength by doing leg lifts and squats under the watch of athletic performance director Chip Schaefer.

"My foot is just feeling really good," he said. "I'm starting to feel like myself two years ago, pre-injury."

Mihm was originally injured in March 2006 and has had three surgeries on the foot.

Mihm, 28, said he would return to the Lakers next season by exercising a one-year player option for $2.5 million.

Second Paragraph In The Story
haterman34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject:

It's not like there's too many options for an injury proned white stiff.
LakersFTW
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject:

I want Joey Dorsey from the draft

anyway we can trade Mihm to move up in the draft?

I hear Sonics and Timberwolves have 2nd draft picks they don't want
LakersFanKB#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject:

LakersFTW wrote:

Ditto to that. If the Timberwolves or the Sonics don't want their picks, and want Mihm, I'm all for it. Get Joey Dorsey if at all possible.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject:

LakersFanKB#24 wrote:
LakersFTW wrote:

Ditto to that. If the Timberwolves or the Sonics don't want their picks, and want Mihm, I'm all for it. Get Joey Dorsey if at all possible.

+1
-Yo-
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

Mihm = Stiff

Mihm was a mediocre-at-best player when healthy. No go-to move. SLOOOOOWWW reflexes compared to Pau. Not a premier shot-blocker, not a good ball-handler. Poor passer. Not good court vision. He's a tall, slow white guy but he can't even shoot as well as Mbenga. What does that tell ya?

Dump him for a solid on the ball defender if one can be found.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject:

I say we just keep on the roster and let him expire. We already have a 2nd rounder next year, we still have Yue developing and a 1st rounder in 09.

If he is every healthy again, it won't be so bad having him come off the bench for a few minutes here and there.

remember, he's not just a teaser.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject:

In case Bynum recovers, Mihm becomes expendable. Mbenga is cheaper and is pretty much all we need from a backup C behind Bynum and Gasol.

Package Mihm with Vlade or Luke for another defensive SF with solid 3 pt shot and picks. We need much better salary conditions next years with that growing youth of Lakers than we have now.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:

Joey Dorsey!!!
clubced
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
I say we just keep on the roster and let him expire. We already have a 2nd rounder next year, we still have Yue developing and a 1st rounder in 09.

If he is every healthy again, it won't be so bad having him come off the bench for a few minutes here and there.

remember, he's not just a teaser.

Wow, that must be every single highlight of Mihm's Laker career.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
In case Bynum recovers, Mihm becomes expendable. Mbenga is cheaper and is pretty much all we need from a backup C behind Bynum and Gasol.

Package Mihm with Vlade or Luke for another defensive SF with solid 3 pt shot and picks. We need much better salary conditions next years with that growing youth of Lakers than we have now.

The question isn't whether Mihm is expendable (he is). The question is whether you want to deal with expiring contract for a player with a longer contract who will add to the future lux tax probleems. It woulnd't surpris me if they merely let his contract expire and cut salary rather than trade him
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:

cccplus wrote:
trade him. i like him as a person but we gotta make room for the Machine

I, too, am anxious to see Sasha move to the Center position.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: