Summer League Games = Basketball Lovers Paradise

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktrain203
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Summer League Games = Basketball Lovers Paradise

For the longest time I never really considered going to any of the NBA Summer League games. I don't know why, but it just never really appealed to me. I always figured it was a bunch of guys lacking NBA talent scrapping and clawing, trying to make the highlight play that would grab some scouts attention. I imagined it was like garbage time in a blowout game, only worse.

Then I went to a game last year and was completely blown away. I'm not saying all of my assumptions were wrong. The players are less talented, the play can get sloppy with some ball hogging occurring and a lot of physical stuff being allowed to happen. That being said, it was such a joy to watch. Here are kids who have not only dreamed of playing the NBA, but have actually devoted all of their life to accomplishing it. The number of hours they've practiced and played to reach this point are unimaginable. This is their one shot and they know it.

It's a joy to watch Kobe or LeBron or Tim Duncan play because you realize that you're witnessing greatness. You're watching the best in the game do what they do. Still though, for all of the NBA games I've been to in my life, not one had the energy, the hustle, or the desire of the summer league games I went to last year. The best way I can describe it is that it's like watching a really good college basketball game, only instead of 3-4 players on each team having the ability to play in the NBA it's more like 7-8 and there are no scrubs on the court. The college crowd is absent, but that's expected, but the aggressiveness and enthusiasm is there. The players want it so badly they can taste it, and because of that they leave it all on the court.

I'm writing this mostly because I saw some video of the Lakers first scrimmage against the Clippers yesterday and it took me back.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-strong-2088468

For years I isolated myself from this exciting, affordable attraction simply because I didn't think it would be any good. In a day and age where fans blast professional players for not running out ground balls and taking plays off, this is a refreshing sight. So if you have the opportunity to watch a summer league game this offseason, do it. Spend $10 and enjoy watching guys play like their lives depend on it, because in reality, they do. Immerse yourself in game and watch how it was meant to be played. All out, balls to the wall.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Summer League Games = Basketball Lovers Paradise

ktrain203 wrote:
For the longest time I never really considered going to any of the NBA Summer League games. I don't know why, but it just never really appealed to me. I always figured it was a bunch of guys lacking NBA talent scrapping and clawing, trying to make the highlight play that would grab some scouts attention. I imagined it was like garbage time in a blowout game, only worse.

Then I went to a game last year and was completely blown away. I'm not saying all of my assumptions were wrong. The players are less talented, the play can get sloppy with some ball hogging occurring and a lot of physical stuff being allowed to happen. That being said, it was such a joy to watch. Here are kids who have not only dreamed of playing the NBA, but have actually devoted all of their life to accomplishing it. The number of hours they've practiced and played to reach this point are unimaginable. This is their one shot and they know it.

It's a joy to watch Kobe or LeBron or Tim Duncan play because you realize that you're witnessing greatness. You're watching the best in the game do what they do. Still though, for all of the NBA games I've been to in my life, not one had the energy, the hustle, or the desire of the summer league games I went to last year. The best way I can describe it is that it's like watching a really good college basketball game, only instead of 3-4 players on each team having the ability to play in the NBA it's more like 7-8 and there are no scrubs on the court. The college crowd is absent, but that's expected, but the aggressiveness and enthusiasm is there. The players want it so badly they can taste it, and because of that they leave it all on the court.

I'm writing this mostly because I saw some video of the Lakers first scrimmage against the Clippers yesterday and it took me back.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-strong-2088468

For years I isolated myself from this exciting, affordable attraction simply because I didn't think it would be any good. In a day and age where fans blast professional players for not running out ground balls and taking plays off, this is a refreshing sight. So if you have the opportunity to watch a summer league game this offseason, do it. Spend $10 and enjoy watching guys play like their lives depend on it, because in reality, they do. Immerse yourself in game and watch how it was meant to be played. All out, balls to the wall.

welcom to the SPL, to bad its no longer in the LB. so i can't watch. unless i want to use that as an excuse to make a vegas run.
andyliao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:

In that video, they actually labeled Mitch as "Lakers Owner" LOL!
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

andyliao wrote:

R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

andyliao wrote:

Well, I guess he does "own us" if he ever does another Caron for Kwame!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Long Beach > Vegas

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: