Most Overrated Musicians of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Overrated Musicians of All Time

frijolero01 wrote:
The overrated movies thread inspired me on this one. You know the game. So here we go:

Led Zeppelin (love the band, but I think they are overrated)

Mrs. DB and I have this argument all them time...and she and you are simply wrong.

I read some list recently that listed top 20 albums of all time and it used some forumula vs. opinion. Led Zeppelin was on their 4 times.

Anyway, I like these overrated threads. Seems to rile people up into some good discussions.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
U2, Lil Wayne

U2...U2...

Come on.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Tupac
Linkin Park
Lil Wayne

There are a lot more but I'm too lazy to think right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Inglewood_Laker Fan_310 wrote:
Teamof2000 wrote:
Just to chime in, I don't understand the talk about Michael being overrated. What's next, The Beatles are overrated? Sorry, but "one man's opinion" only goes so far. There is empirical evidence showing the greatness of MJ and The Beatles. It's science.

thanks u!!!
i mean for real
how is he overrated

Overrated is a term to describe the perceived value of something (or someone) being inflated in regard to its intrinsic value.

Michael Jackson's status is derived partly from his talent, but also from his origin in a novelty boy band, the advent of MTV (bringing about the age of video production taking precedence over the music itself), and the advent of tabloid celebrity.

Pop music is itself overrated, it being a vulgar (I use the term in its original meaning denoting commonness, and appeal to the lowest denominator, substantively lacking in sophistication, art, or class) form of entertainment, placing a premium on mainstream popularity over artistic skill and talent. Case in point: Kenny G became a much bigger star, and is still far more popular than Yo Yo Ma, despite the obvious fact that Ma is the far superior musician.

Without name recognition from the jackson 5, combined with the release of thriller at the advent of the MTV era (making him the first mega star of the new medium), combined with his weird, tabloid lifestyle, Jackson would be thought of as nothing more than what he is: A solid pop performer, with little depth or artistry beyond some excellent dance and choreography skills. The music itself is vapid and disposable, and his voice is average at best. His only greatly definable contribution is in the area of making videos, itself something that most experts will tell you has diminished the quality of popular music rather than elevating it.

This is not to say that something can't be both enjoyable and overrated, as is the case with Jackson, but even the name "King of Pop" denotes a certain cheapness of the product.

BTW, his sister is also overrated, being a cheaper knockoff of her brother with even less voice and dance talent.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Springsteen
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Overrated to me means not as good as the general hype would indicate. And on those terms there are definitely some I agree with (and plenty I don't, but there's no point going over them because it is all personal perception).

Some of these bands/performers are decent in my mind, but not what they are said to be. Others are just plain bad no mater what the level of hype.

Agreed:
Metallica
50 Cent
Eminem
Tupac
Coldplay
U2
Van Halen
Michael Jackson
Linkin Park

Add:

Oasis
Guns and Roses
Motley Crue
Counting Crows
Third Eye Blind
Blink 182
Beck
AC/DC
Mars Volta
White Stripes
Slipknot
Green Day
36OFerrari
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:

LIL WAYNE

TPAIN

FAT JOE
36OFerrari
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Tupac
Linkin Park
Lil Wayne

There are a lot more but I'm too lazy to think right now.

1st TUPAC?
HOW IS he overrated?

AND HOW DA HELL DO YOU PUT TUPAC AND LIL WAYNE In the same sentence?
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject:

Some of the bands/artists listed here aren't overrated, they are just outright bad. Linkin Park, Slipknot, etc. I agree with some though. Just because I think a band is overrated or over-hyped doesn't mean I don't like them. I like all this stuff I'm about to list...its just that I think some of it is at least a tad bit overrated. Some additions:

Vampire Weekend
Broken Social Scene
Morrissey (solo stuff not the Smiths)
Feist
Weezer
System of a Down
Sublime
Tool
Greg-Dawg®
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject:

Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
Weezer

You go to hell and you die!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject:

OK, I'll say it:

The Grateful Dead...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
OK, I'll say it:

The Grateful Dead...

yup.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

Phish
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:

36OFerrari wrote:
HOW IS he overrated?

AND HOW DA HELL DO YOU PUT TUPAC AND LIL WAYNE In the same sentence?

If you're wondering why someone would think Tupac is overrated, all you have to do is find an example of someone getting offended when Tupac's name is alongside someone else's in the same sentence. I saw something like that around here somewhere...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

Eddie Van Halen <ducks for cover>

Good thing you ducked. I slung poo.

Nirvana? Chuck Berry? Zeppelin? Musical ubersuccess is mistrusted by some music fans no matter what. It's the old, "If everyone likes it, it must be overrated."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Nirvana? Chuck Berry? Zeppelin? Musical ubersuccess is mistrusted by some music fans no matter what. It's the old, "If everyone likes it, it must be overrated."

I agree with frijolero01 on EVH. I think he's a really talented guitarist, but not anywhere near the "best" as he is often portrayed. Flame me if you want, but IMO, he's George Lynch with a more popular band...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

I agree with frijolero01 on EVH. I think he's a really talented guitarist, but not anywhere near the "best" as he is often portrayed. Flame me if you want, but IMO, he's George Lynch with a more popular band...

Hendrix is often portrayed as best. EVH is the one from the top tier who gets dismissed in comparison to the Claptons, Pages, etc. I think it's typically a genre-related thing, more critical respect given to blues guitar than 80s-based rock guitar (a lot of which bordered on pop to boot). Rationale for that suspicion is the most common criticisms of his work are that it lacks emotion, just a bunch of random notes, etc. I don't think he's overrated. They guy was an innovator. Created his own style, style that is impossible for a contemporary guitarist to dupe even though it's been tried.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but anyone who says U2 is overrated is wrong.

They are a great, great band.

Maybe they aren't the best band of all time and people who say that they are the best band of all time are overrating them, but they are definitely top five bands of all time no matter how it's cut.

They are the top selling band of all time, they consistently change their sound and are successful at it, they have been together for more than 30 years, they have great musicians, and they have a great singer.

Man, definitely not overrated.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Maybe they aren't the best band of all time and people who say that they are the best band of all time are overrating them, but they are definitely top five bands of all time no matter how it's cut.

Top 5? Not even close. I like U2 too. Mostly their 80s and early 90s stuff...but I think they are VERY overrated.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

Top 5? Not even close. I like U2 too. Mostly their 80s and early 90s stuff...but I think they are VERY overrated.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject:

Wu-Tang ...... all that talent and only one really makes ya head bob and that's Meth ......
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:

They are overrated in that some think Bono is God, but musically, it's hard to name a better rock/ pop band over the last 25 years, especially one that combines enormous ongoing popularity with actual talent.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Hendrix is often portrayed as best. EVH is the one from the top tier who gets dismissed in comparison to the Claptons, Pages, etc. I think it's typically a genre-related thing, more critical respect given to blues guitar than 80s-based rock guitar (a lot of which bordered on pop to boot). Rationale for that suspicion is the most common criticisms of his work are that it lacks emotion, just a bunch of random notes, etc. I don't think he's overrated. They guy was an innovator. Created his own style, style that is impossible for a contemporary guitarist to dupe even though it's been tried.

Fair assessment, except most of the EVH fans I've met think HE'S the best. I admit his technical talent, but if that's the bar, then he's behind a lot of other guys with enormous technical skills and individual sound, while lacking something in the way of emotional content (Malmsteen springs to mind).

While he has contributed some brilliant technique that is used by many, where he falls short to me is that his music does not transcend his era.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject:

i've always seen EVH as a supreme talent who made music i didn't enjoy listening to.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: