East round 1: New York @ Sweden
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: East round 1: New York @ Sweden

The Stockholm Globe Arena plays host to the first round of the ATL eastern conference playoffs as the Swedish Meatballs and Magic Johanssen face the New York Knicks and Moses Fofofolone.

Former ATL Coach of the Year jamas makes the call on rules for the game at the Globen, new (zones, no handchecks) or old (no zones, handchecks). Starters are due at least 24 hours before tipoff. Starters must play in at least the first 8 minutes of the game.

The winner faces the victor of Harlem vs. (Berlin/Hiroshima/Manila/Seoul).
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The Meatballs choses New School rules (zone and no handchecks allowed)
my starters:
PG - Magic Johannson
SG - Tracy McGradysson
SF - Dennis Rodmansson
PF - Rasheed Wallacesson
C - Marcus Cambysson
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
The Meatballs choses New School rules (zone and no handchecks allowed)
my starters:
PG - Magic Johannson
SG - Tracy McGradysson
SF - Dennis Rodmansson
PF - Rasheed Wallacesson
C - Marcus Cambysson

new softy rules. lovely. zone busting time.

same starters as usual:

pg- the glove
sg- eddie steals
sf-p^2
pf-cwebb
c-moses(not the one in the bible)
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:

Statboxes:
New York
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/470/newyorkck1.jpg

Sweden
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3685/swedenti7.jpg

Injury Risks:
NY Fisher (62) 76 - healthy
SWE Camby (12) 70 - healthy
SWE Cartwright (11) 88 - healthy
SWE Threatt (17) 52 - healthy
SWE Miller (27) 22 - injured

Brad Miller is injured. Jamas has the option of using the magic wand to bring him back to health, but the wand can only be used once in the playoffs.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
Statboxes:
New York
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/470/newyorkck1.jpg

Sweden
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3685/swedenti7.jpg

Injury Risks:
NY Fisher (62) 76 - healthy
SWE Camby (12) 70 - healthy
SWE Cartwright (11) 88 - healthy
SWE Threatt (17) 52 - healthy
SWE Miller (27) 22 - injured

Brad Miller is injured. Jamas has the option of using the magic wand to bring him back to health, but the wand can only be used once in the playoffs.

I just knew fish was going to be hurt in rd 1. got away .... this time....
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject:

the only wand I'm gonna use on Brad Miller is the one I am gonna hit him over the head with....
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:

oh also just one other question.. will there be a wheelchair courtside? because I suggest all wheelchair taken out of courtside.. I just don't appreciate Paul Pierce's headgames...
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:

after all he is the best player in the game right now...
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:

well at least that is what Paul Pierce said...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
oh also just one other question.. will there be a wheelchair courtside? because I suggest all wheelchair taken out of courtside.. I just don't appreciate Paul Pierce's headgames...

Paulina will be in the gym.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
after all he is the best player in the game right now...

inglewood's finest
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Pivot - Check your PMs.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
Pivot - Check your PMs.

checked and sent
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:

New York

The Knicks did not follow the game plan format, choosing instead to submit their original team writeup for the playoffs and a dicsussion of head to head matchups vs. Sweden. It's unconventional but all the info and arguments are in there.

Rings & Things. Click the link below to see why we know we will not only win our division but our conference and win each playoff game up until winning the championship. We have a team full of winners. even the few guys that have never been in the finals they have all been in the playoffs and have only lost to legendary teams. We have a enough ring bearers off the bench to run a few weddings.

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newyorkringsandthingsqp9.jpg

New York Knick Player stats. (see all highlighted stats). Some are highlighted to show solid numbers in certain categories. Some are highlighted to show solid numbers for certain positions (ex. assist for bigmen/sf's, ft% for bigmen, etc).

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newyorkstatssl6.jpg

Offense (balance)
Player Mins and what positions they will play (See the above New York Stats Link)

Dominance - How will you use your most dominant players and the skills of the team around them to exploit mismatches?

#1 Mismatch of all time is the ability of a pg to take his man into the post and go to work. GP was the best at it. I have seen GP post up small pg's, tall pg's, strong pg's, sg's, sf's, pf's, and even a center two or 3 times. never once have I seen anyone stop him from doing what he wanted to do. which then turns into a team having to double team him in the post. The worse thing you can do is double team a decent passer in the low post. BUt what happens if you double team a great passer in the low post? You're team will get picked apart.

#2 Chris Webber, a dominant PF at this stage. He was virtually doing whatever he felt like doing out there. Low post, high post, mid post. great passing(not just from a bigman. he could pass as well as some guards). could hit the high post jumper with consistency enough to make a Big man come out of his comfort zone to guard him. once this happens the other bigman/ sf/sg has no choice but to collapse. If you collapse off of Moses. count the 2 pts and take the ball out. If you double off of paul "mr. finals mvp" pierce, or eddie jones. You might as well count the 3 ball, and take the ball out. Its your choice.as the say, Pick your poison . Ps. if you choose to go the old detroit route and hack a guy to send a message. fine. our star bigs shoot way above 70% from the ft line. You foul us, get ready to foul our your most important players and watch us rack of pts from the ft line. listen. you're toast regardless (butter or jam, white or wheat?)

#3 Moses Malone aka mr. 3 time mvp aka finals mvp. aka "i blocked kareem's sky hook." if you give him the ball in one on one coverage its 2 pts. if you foul him its 2 pts plus the ft that he will make darn near 80% of the time. If you double him. its simple to for him to kick it back out to GP, then gp can choose to chuck and hit, or up fake, dribble drive, cause more havoc in the paint make you collapse again. then kick it out to a shooter. and watch how we will have perfect spacing for rebounds just in case. Personally i dont see us losing. i see some tight games just based on the names and the competition. But this is a perfect team in the eyes of any basketball coach. There are no wholes.
shooters: check
slashers: check
low post: check
mid post: chekc
high post: check
floor generals from pg/sf/and pf : CHECK - this means you can start a play from any spot on the floor you want.

BEST Bench: I have the winningest bench in the entire league. I have clutchest bench in the entire league. we have a bench that is versatile. we can post up, but we are built to get out and run. we can do that with speedsters like T.lue, with T.prince snagging boards and pushing it and pf's like Cliff Robinson able to out run most if not all pf's in this league, but still pull up and hit a jumper to keep a bigman honest. to create more space for others. hit the links above and see how clutch our guys are off the bench. our 12man is John salley, a very solid defender and rebounder. he could take ratliff's place if he wasn't playing well or if he is injured. all parts are interchangeable.

**Chris webber can grab a def rebound and start the fast break. leaving the defensive on their heels. T.prince can do the same.

Defense

How will your strengths be optimized and your weaknesses covered? What weaknesses? we dont have any. We have low post defense (remember we have the guy who blocked kareems sky hook). We also have 2 centers off the bench who were known defenders. one was also a league leading shot blocker. Our PF defense is solid also with almost 2 blocks and a almost 2 steals coming from that position. Pierce showed us again this season what he was all about (DEFENSE). if thats manning up, or zoning up depending on the era). he's a great guy to double a big with for steals and to cause TO's. Gary payton aka "the glove" is the best defensive Pg in this league. he can hang with small pg's, tall pg's, and even on to sg's.

How do you handle pick and roll? Are you too dependent on one guy?

Gary payton and the mobility and quick hands of Cwebb(1.6 stls per) can stop a lot of bounc passes and over head passes when a pg tries to setup the pick n roll. so we can trap it and stop it before it starts. we also have one of the greatest passing lane defenders to ever play the game (eddie jones 2.7 stls). but both of our starting bigs have enough shot blocking ability to erase any mistake(seldom) made by the perimeter defenders. if you're a passing team eddie jones can disrupt your offense. if you're a pg heavy team. gp can stall out your offense.

Last but not least, TT is our assistant/defense coach. so we're prepared to go into any era of hoop and dominate on the defensive end.

Closing
What's your closing five in the final five minutes?

my Closing 5 if the game is tied is my starting lineup, subtract eddie jones and put in mario elie.

my closing 5 if we're down 8+ with 5mins or less left: pg(gary), sg (fisher), sf (pierce), Pf (webber), C-(moses malone)

How do you close the game out on both ends?
The same as stated above. no matter what defense they run man, pack it in man, or zone/pack it in zone. we have the personnel to take apart any thing that anyteam could throw at us. and our defense is setup by great defensive players, that are very smart players as well as capable of getting multiple steals/blocks.

Competition
Why you win the division, why you beat the top conference contenders? see above.

1. We have players that can run any offense from any position on the floor (we're going with Ucla's high low, with shooters spreading things, to hint of the triangle. but we're running on every single opportunity. we have the perfect team to run any style of offense you like. we can run with you, or we can walk it up and setup in the halfcourt if you want to go that route. you want to shoot with us? fine. lets do it. you want to post with us? fine lets do it? No other team can say they are this well balanced in our division, conference, or league in general.

2. we have to much pride in defense at every position. but also elite defenders at the correct positions to ever go down by more then 10. we also have the personnel to make a run at any given moment no matter how much we're up or down by.

3. There's no I, in Team. our team/bench/starters were hand selected to work well together as a well oiled machine. no other team can say that in this division/conf/or league in general.

4. Everyone needs a solid bench to win it all. That’s exactly what we have. A bench full of players that could start or end any tight game to hold a lead, extend a lead, or make a comeback run to win it. The entire bench is clutch and/or a group of champions

5. last but not least. Defense wins championships amd so does clutch shooting. we have a ton of both.

Why you win? There's nothing else for me to say. read the 5 above reasons to answer this question. and look at the above links(spreadsheets/stats and ring/top 10 stats lists).

vs. Sweden

lets first address these two key issues about webber and jones
:
Chris Webber(isn't clutch)?-Webber put up decent numbers the two times that he played in seventh games (20 points, 11 assists, eight rebounds, 9-21 field goal shooting in the 2002 Western Conference Finals; 16 points, eight rebounds, four assists, 8-17 field goal shooting in the 2004 Western Conference semifinals. Whether he won or not is irrelevant. He couldn't beat a better team. it wasn't as if his man was killing him. So is it really true? NO

Eddie jones (isn't clutch?) - who cares if he's clutch or not? we dont. he's not our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th option scorer. he's 5th. it means for the most part he will have his points before you get to crunch time. so we will not need him to be clutch in order to win a game, even a hard faught game. and thats also where Elie comes in off the bench. elie IS clutch. and has rings to prove it. we can also use fisher at the sg spot, another clutch player with rings to give away.

Biggest factors: Sweden has no answer for moses. NON. if they double they have no answer for webber, and NO answer for Paul Pierce(since drodman is playing fake SF).

***If all else fails and the game is on the line. we will beat sweden for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only. we have more clutch players. we also have more guys with playoff, finals, and championship experience.

last but not least re-read my original writeup. same rules apply, same basic playing time(Tprince may get a few more minutes at sg to put some more length on Tmac if he does get hot). this just means mario elie plays sf off the bench and not sg. he can play both.

here's the player for player breakdown
Magic - not a good defender, not that hot of a 3pt shooter. so gary will stand back at times and sit in the passing lane to tmac. as much of a winner magic may be. he only won on teams full of hall of famers. a hall of fame sf(offensively/defensively), and a hall of fame center. sweden has neither on this team. the reason magic may never have worked with a hall of fame sg. is because there isn't enough ball to go around. he cant' stop or slow gary payton.

Tmac- this is the scoring tmac with the magic. problem is the magic didn't have anyone else on that team worth mentioning. which means he got all the touches and got a chance to handle the ball everytime down. not so on a super team like this. with magic running point. sorry tback you are now back to your toronto days of waiting for a nice lob pass.you shouldn't picked the houston tmac that plays well with yao. i since chemsitry problems. or tmac will not produce at a high rate from a scoring perspective. last but not least, all of his steals came in the passing lane on gamble plays. tmac has never been a good defender.

Rodman-can't shoot, and isnt' enough of an offense threat to be respected. his best ability is rebounding. but thats from the PF position. a position closer to the basket on both sides. not so with dennis trying to guard ppierce. so take away a bunch of boards he would have at pf, but can't get to at sf because he's out on the perimeter. he can't back off of pierce cause pierce will dot his eye. if he plays to close he's not quick as a true SF laterally. so pierce will have a field day with him. or he will foul out trying.

Sheed - so you have the sheed with the chip on his shoulder. great, but as we've noticed he only has that chip on his shoulder when he's the underdog. guess what he's on the home team(not the underdog). which = sheed wont play as hard. Cwebb will have a field day with sheed. sheeds defensive tactics dont work chris webber. in addition he needs to help out camby but he can't because cwebb will be at the high post ligthing him up until he comes out there. then its back to moses.

Camby - to thin to play Center vs a REAL center. he's going to foul out vs moses. Moses can clog the lane and play of of marcus because he's never going to get 20 pts worth of 15 footers. it just aint going to happen. he's not that aggressive on offense. again moses gets to rest on defense. which means he destroys people on offense.

Detlef- he had an advantage because he was the only 6'9+ SF that could shoot. and no one was tall enough to defend it. sorry he's not getting that shot off to make 3 after 3 on 6'9 prince with a 7 foot man's wingspan. he's to slow to get around prince. push comes to shove i will throw uncle cliff on him to shut him down.

Jalen-has never won anything in from college til now. and he's not surrounded by enough winners to compensate. Fisher already proved he could beat Jrose to win it all this season.

Iguodala-just an athletic role player, nothing more
deng- not a good passer, cant shoot the 3 to save his life. if he's beyond the arc back up and dare him to chuck (which means whoever guards him gets doesn't have to be all up on him which will cause fouls or allow him to get into the paint. )
cartwright- no defense/32 years old (ratliff could shut down cartwright with ease)

sedale threatt- his name was the thief but he only had 1stl this season, thats not a thief in my book. so lets not call him the thief/ He couldn't shoot to save his life), fisher & lue are better then he is.

brad miller - its not the kings brad miller/he sucked back in 99-00 (no defense, no offense) john salley and ratliff are light years ahead of this guy.
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:

Swedish Meatball

OPPONENT: New York Knicks

Rotation
Minutes Allocation
PG – Magic Johnson 36
SG – Tracy McGrady 36
SF – Dennis Rodman 36
PF – Rasheed Wallace 34
C – Marcus Camby 32
F – Detlef Schrempf 24
G/F – Jalen Rose 12
G/F – Andre Iguodala 10
C – Bill Cartwright 12
F – Luol Deng 4
PG – Sedale Threatt 4

Offense

We will feature our offense to highlight the skills of Magic Johnson.
Fastbreak or Early Offense 75%
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/earlypush.asp
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/earlylaker.asp
NOTE: When Running, Rodman and Wallace are interchangeable. One secures the rebound the other RUNS!
1. We will run at any opportunities. Every player in our starting five are above average to great rebounders and runner for their position. As soon as a rebound is secured we have instructed our bigs to RUN (We need to run Moses to the ground)
A. Magic’s ability to rebound and start his own break.
B. Rodman is one of the greatest rebounder in league history
C. Speed of our bigs vs. Theirs
D. Size of our guards vs. Theirs
2. If the running game isn’t present then we run some quick offensive sets to prevent them from setting up their defense.
A. Early Offense Double Side Pop – Magic and McGrady offensive sets
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/eo16doublesidespop.asp
Opens up TMac at the wing w/ a Rodman Down screen. Magic decides to either hit TMac at wing or Sheed at the blocks.
B. Early Hawk Post – Magic and Wallace offensive set
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/eo23hawkposts.asp
Couple of options. Freeing Wallace on the low blocks with Magic feeding from the Wing, if not available Magic rotates the ball to high post, waits for a back screen from Wallace and backdoors his man.
C. Early Boston Lob – Attacking Moses Malone offense
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/eo33bostonlob.asp
Forcing Malone to move. Camby sets pick for McGrady at Wing, then Rodman sets Pick for Camby to open up alley oop lane. Note, if they don’t react It frees up McGrady at the lane.
D. Early Mid Screen – Taking Advantage of Schermpf’s Three Ability
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/earlyoff/eo09midscreen.asp
Sheed Trailing gives Magic a Screen, Camby sets pick for Schrempf to get open at Three point line. Sheed sets another pick this time to free up McGrady. Magic gets to choose what to do.
NOTE: Judges please take note that the early offense is run when the fastbreak is slowed down. It is not necessarily a set offense (allowing them to set up into a zone) It is run ASAP to prevent them from zoning (they have to be very fast to get back and zone and I don’t think this is possible with a plodder like Moses)

3. SET OFFENSE: 25%
A. Versus the Zone
1. UCLA Offense – High Post Rub for Magic
a. Camby setting a high pick for Magic – Forces Moses to move and not just sit in a zone. McGrady being the feeder at the wing for Magic’s cut or if Jones overplays for a steal, McGrady will back door.
2. Hi-Lo Offense – Camby High Post, Sheed Low Post.
a. This offense is about movement from my two bigs. Wallace and Camby. It forces Webber and Moses not to just sit in the zone, but follows them. If they sit in the zone there will be gaps in the zone where Wallace and Camby will get open mid range shot. The Best thing about this offense is it frees up McGrady and Rodman/Schrempf at the wing. Open three for Schrempf(.51%) or lane to get offensive rebounds for Rodman
3. Clock Offense – Sheed for the THREE….
a. Couple of options. Sheed (.36%) for the Three.. Sheed on the low blocks. On Ball Reversals we find TMac isolated on the wing.
B. Versus the Man
1. Pick & Roll - Magic/Sheed, Tmac/Sheed, Magic/Rodman, Tmac/Rodman
2. Pick & Pop – Magic/Schrempf, Magic/Sheed.
3. Four Down – Magic Iso with Rodman/Sheed on the Blocks, Schrempf(51%)/Tmac(.39%)/Rose(.39%) at the three point line.

Defense

Question: How do you stop a dominating Big Man?
Answer: Make him work on the defensive side, Hard double teams, etc.
Defensive Priorities:
1. Moses Malone
2. Paul Pierce
3. Gary Payton
Defensive Keys:
1. Using the Talent of our two DPOY successfully
2. Sheed helping call out key defensive sets and signals.
3. Hard Double to Make Malone a Playmaker
4. Closing in on their three point artist and support from our anchors, Camby and Sheed.
Defensive Gameplan:
1 Zone Defense – Taking Advantage of the Length of my team. All Starters 6-8 and Over.
A. 1-3-1 Matchup Zone
1. Magic at 6-9 up front is hard to throw over. When the ball rotates to the wing we have a 6-8 TMac or 6-8 Rodman at the wings. This also puts Magic at his strongest defensively (Playing the passing lane and help out defense)
2. Why this defense works against his talent?
a. 2 guys close to Moses – Hard Double team to force Moses to be a playmaker (he averages close to 4 TO’s per game)
b. Length and height of perimeter defender, makes it hard for entry pass or an open jump shot.
B. Amoeba Zone:
1. Amoeba works well defending a one guard front. Gary Payton is his main ball handler. In the Amoeba it follows the ball rotation. It also ensures that two of my guys is within Moses Malone at all times.
2. Same principle of ball denial to the post and closing in on the wing players. Rodman, Tmac, Sheed, Camby, Iguodala has the ability to close out on a player.

C. Box and One
1. When Paul Pierce gets hot we will implement the box.
a. Iggy will be the main defender with Rodman moving to PF and Wallace to Center.
b. Another look would be Rodman on Pierce with Cartwright substituting for Camby (More Power Look) and Wallace at PF

NOTE: By using the zone defense, our team takes advantage of our strong points (Height, Length, Shotblocking, Rebounding – Our frontcourt can outquick his frontcourt for rebounds) and hides our deficiencies in Defensive speed (Magic, Schrempf) and Bulk/Power (Camby) with the exception of Bill Cartwright. Gary Payton’s penetration is nullified by the zone and forces Payton to either chuck it or pass over the zone.

2. Man to Man – We will play the man to man defense whenever Moses Malone sits.
Basically play a straight up man to man and will switch on all picks. (I hate to point it out again, but having most of my starters at 6-8 and taller allows us to do this.)
In a man to man the team will defend like this.
Magic defends PF
TMac defends PG
Rodman defends G/F (he defended Jordan a lot)
Wallace defends the SF (Length, agility and smarts)
Camby defends the Center

NOTE:
By using the zone defense, our team takes advantage of our strong points (Height, Length, Shotblocking, Rebounding – Our frontcourt can outquick his frontcourt for rebounds) and hides our deficiencies in Defensive speed (Magic, Schrempf) and Bulk/Power (Camby) with the exception of Bill Cartwright. Gary Payton’s penetration is nullified by the zone and forces Payton to either chuck it or pass over the zone.

Closing
We will have two sets of lineup to close depending on the situation.
1. PG – Magic, SG – Tmac, SF – Rodman, PF – Wallace, C – Cartwright
2. PG – Magic, SG – Tmac, SF – Schrempf, PF – Rodman, C - Wallace

Crystal Ball

I predict that he will try to use Moses’s Power (We slow Moses down by forcing him to exert energy running the floor and playing defense) game to set up his outside shooters.
(Jones, Pierce, Fisher, Elie, Prince shoots over .36% from three)
Question 1, Who is a harder player to defend on the blocks, Shaq or Moses? Lets look at this question.
Shaq 7-1 325 lbs, Freak of Nature athleticism and Power (has destroyed basketball rims) or Moses?
We ask this question because of this.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1576590//
Now we ask this question, If Rodman is able to body vs the likes of Shaq, Karl Malone, Ewing, etc? is it too much to ask that he might be able to do that vs Moses Malone?

Question 2 is: Who comes to delivers and who doesn’t? Jones will disappear, We Close on Fisher and play him for the outside shot so he will be force to go for a layup ( I AM NOT GOING THERE WITH THOSE SHOOTING NUMBERS) Elie? Prince? At what price? Prince and Elie plays the same position as their best perimenter player, Pierce. With Paul Pierce, we are comfortable with sicking Rodman or Iggy on him. Two guys that can hang with him, as strong or stronger than him.

In Case of Emergency
If foul trouble hits us, we feel we have the bench and players that can play multiple position to be able to hold the fort until we can have a starter return.
If Malone goes nuts, We calmly bring Cartwright in and will implement hard double teams on Moses.
If Pierce goes off, Box and One.
If they start raining threes – Rodman on Moses w/ Help, Magic plays semi zone/semi passing lane and the three players stays at home with their three point shooter.

Summary
Why Do We Win?

Reason number 1. I have in MVP Magic Johnson who just imposes his will on the game.
Reason number 2. We showed how to slow Moses down. We force them to play at a pace that they are not comfortable with. Not just fastbreaking but the early offense. We have the talent to implement an early strike offensive attack.
Reason number 3 Implementing different sets of Zone defenses, Match up zones, Amoeba and an occasional man to man defense, keeps them off balance.
Reason number 4: NO REBOUNDS NO RINGS – We can rebound from all five positions and with all five positions capable of running
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I've been told there's some Webber debate in Game Talk.

Webber was chosen in 99-00, Wallace 01-02. Take the seven games in those two seasons head-to-head, average it out and you get this:

Webber 26.4 pts, .457 fg%, 10.9 reb, 5.7 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.4 blk, 3 to
Sheed 22.6 pts, .529 fg%, 9.7 reb, 1.4 ast, 1.3 blk, 1.4 stl, 2 to

Webber had a scoring high of 36, Wallace 33.

In those two seasons both players averaged 49% from the floor, so Sheed's defense on Webber is above average, Webber D on Sheed is below average.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Post moved to Game Talk
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject:

DB

New York

Offensively, this team will face a lot of zones. They will look to press their advantage with Moses inside, but he will need to be ready for the hard doubles. Can GP find his post game against this lengthy team?

GP will play Magic for the shot on the perimeter, but he'll need help in the post against Magic's size. Webber will be facing a lot of movement in this offense, can he provide enough D on the screens?

Sweden

Offensively, the tone is set by Magic. He'll push the tempo, look to find the mismatches or create them himself.

Defensively, how will they handle Moses? With help. Look for Magic to double off GP at times and the help to come from all directions. This is a long team, but how effective will the various zones be?

The Game:

The first score of the game goes to Rodman, of all people. Magic sends a bullet through the paint that leaves Rodman with a gimmie layup. Just an example of how even a weak offensive threat can be made better by No. 32. On the other end, New York gets the ball to Moses against the zone and he powers up for an easy score. We go back again to Magic, this time he posts up GP, draws the double and finds another open man for a score. Back down court again, more Moses, a tougher shot that he makes.

The tempo starts to increase and we see Sweden pushing the break, this time Magic finishing easily over the smaller GP. GP finds it difficult to get in the post against the tall team. He settles a bit for jumpers with so-so success. Sweden pulls out to a 4-point first quarter lead.

During some substitutions, we see Prince briefly switch on a screen onto Magic and he holds his own for the possession, but he returns back to defending the SF spot next time down. Just before Magic sits we see an incredible finish as he no-looks to Iguodala on the break for a thunderous throw down. With Moses sitting, Sweden goes man-to-man with some success, they are able to extend their lead to 8. But again, that's cut back in half when the bigman returns and overpowers Camby and Co, missing his first attempts, but getting his own boards for easy putbacks.

Late in the second quarter, we see Magic back in the post, this time he looks for his own shot, the junior skyhook, which he hits. Able to get good opportunities in the half court and bustouts, Sweden closes the half with a 9-point lead.

In the third, New York is able to fine tune their attack against the zone. We see Webber get the ball in the middle of the zone in the high post. He hits a couple shots, but also threads some nice high-low passes to Moses for scores. The lead is cut in half. On the other end, Magic starts attacking Webber off the screens. Webber is slow to rotate and recover to his man, Magic is picking apart the openings and setting up teammates. TMac is starting to hit as the D gets scrambled. Their lead now pushes out to 13 at the end of the third.

New York is becoming more and more adept at picking apart the zones as the game goes along. Again, however, when Moses goes to the bench and Sweden returns to man-to-man the D tightens up a little. When Moses returns, Sweden switches up their D. Cartwright comes in at the C-spot to close the game. He holds ground better. Paul Pierce starts to take over the late-game scoring and chips away with a couple huge threes. Rodman trips on a ball fake and from the floor, kicks Pierce in the knee. He's called for a tech and the game is stopped as Paul Pierce appears to be in a life-threatening, career-ending situation. He clutches his leg in extreme pain. He has to be helped onto a stretcher, given an IV and carried into the locker room. All hope appears to be lost for New York.

But wait...there's a rumble in the crowd. Pierce is sprinting back to the scorers table on the next dead ball. Are you ready for a miracle? His own teammate, DFish, shakes his head. Pierce looks ready to pump up the crowd. Unfortunately, Pierce is greeted with a chorus of boos. If only he was on his home court. Rodman's antics trump Pierce's. Sweden holds on for a 9-point win.

Sweden 1-0
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Sky

Each team throws punches in the writeup that won’t be as easy to land on the court. New York talks up no defensive weaknesses but that assumes both teams are set 5-on-5, Moses can’t anchor underneath when he isn’t there yet. Sweden wants a track meet but like the US 4x1 team you can’t run without the baton. Rebounding isn’t a lock if Pierce takes Rodman perimeter and Moses walls off Camby.

The more players with rings argument comes down to this. Would you rather have two starters with 10 rings or a group of bench players with 9 combined? I’d take the starters, particularly the point guard with three Finals MVPs. Payton is in his Seattle finals year, didn’t get his ring until later. The talk of Webber’s stats in game 7’s is certainly true; but they came after the season he’s playing here.

Both teams want to run on every possession. They have the talent to do it on the glass, at starting point and the wings. Where shots are taken and where players are when that shot goes up will be key. It’s easier to run off a board than a made shot if the offensive spacing feeds into transition defense. In a game where both teams are made to run no one said jack about transition D, so learning over the course of the game will have to be assumed. So will this…

Assumptions for New York
Given the absence of any defensive game plan one has to be assumed for the Knicks. The head-to-head focus in the writeup and the supreme confidence about individual matchups point to man up so that’ll be the New York defense throughout. A 1-4 trap on pick and roll was mentioned, along with Payton and Jones playing the passing lanes. On offense the heavy focus will be on the running game. UCLA high low was mentioned so that’ll be 90% of the halfcourt with the triangle as a 10% change of pace if needed.

New York on offense
Running starts on the defensive glass. When they aren’t in early O Sweden is running pick and roll/pop and 4 down the center is high post most of the time. Moses isn’t camped under the hoop for the autoboard and when Sweden runs on him Malone won’t be there period. Lot of long rebounds off jumpers, Moses will get his fair share of those but won’t own the defensive glass. Based on head-to-head Webber gets a board more than Sheed. Rodman is the best at reading caroms and getting the board, but Pierce is ft line extended wing, long way for Dennis to come for the ball.

In the halfcourt New York runs UCLA high low with the primary option being Webber coming up to the line, Moses left low block with Pierce wing. Sweden defends with a 1-3-1 matchup zone putting Magic at the top on Payton, they’ll also play Amoeba and box and one. GP can’t throw over Magic but he can threaten dribble penetration middle or beat him wide to get the ball to Pierce. Camby is on an island playing behind Moses. If Rodman sinks to deny post entry then Pierce has an open look wing, if Worm comes up Moses has deep position off the lob. Sweden can’t stop both, drinks the poison until they adjust.

Sweden on offense
The game plan puts a heavy focus on beating Moses down court and running his legs out over the course of the game. When Camby is in and when Sheed is at center it works. Moses was no speed demon. New York will eventually adjust to slow Swedish transition via Payton and Jones slowing the ball but early offense will continue to be a thorn in the Knicks side.

In the halfcourt, pick and roll/pop should get open jumpers for Magic, Sheed, McGrady and Detlef. Payton and Webber get a few steals but all those Meatballs are solid from 15 feet and long. Four down sets up Magic ice with shooters around him, tough to defend the full court but New York will get some picks in the passing lanes.

Rumble Time:
New York sees Malone with Camby on an island and seizes upon it. Swing to Pierce, post entry to Moses, boom. Sweden instantly runs off the made hoop and Moses is left standing there. Moses low block and Pierce wing vs. 5-on-4 early offense. The higher percentage shots and low risk/to play favors New York and they get out to a 6 point lead six minutes in.

Per the game plan Sweden brings Cartwright in to hard double Moses with Sheed. Fo Fo Fo takes it right at Cartwright and draws fouls as Sheed can’t get there consistently for the double, post entry is still too easy. Lead grows to 12.

Sweden finally figures it out, front with Camby, Sheed doubles on the pass, now Malone has nowhere to go with the ball and his 1:4 ATO ratio is fully exposed. He tries to pass over two very long athletic defenders as Magic denies the passing lane to Payton, Rodman to Pierce, McGrady to Eddie. The double twists to deny basket and the pass to Webber. If any Knick cuts it’s a turnover. Webber is undefended ft line but it’s hard to get him the ball quickly over the Plastic Man hard double from two high iq defenders with length and hops.

A few times Moses will hit Webber quickly, sometimes he’ll turn it over, most of the time he’ll have to lob it out or it’s deflected OB off a doubler. The Moses turnovers fuel Swedish transition and they cut the lead to 8 after one.

New York turns to Pierce as the offensive focus in the second. Rodman is all-D and exceptionally smart on angles and anticipation, but he’s under new school rules and doesn’t have his perimeter hand check. Dennis is forced to play off him a little and Pierce hits 3’s with a late hand in his face. When Pierce drives, Rodman has the extra space and angle knowledge to funnel him into the shotblockers. Pierce can create from there, draw a few fouls, but he’s more consistently successful from midrange/3 than inside - particularly when Moses has to rest. Pierce’s 3’s build the Knick lead to 11.

As we get deep into the second the relentless Swedish early offense forces an exhausted Moses to the bench, Camby sits along with him. Ratliff and Cartwright come in and it becomes a jump shooting game on both sides as TMac starts to carry Sweden and cuts it to 8. Both teams run off the long boards but neither has a decided edge on the glass.

Payton sits, so does Magic. In the battle of the benches Ratliff sets up low to swat penetration. Fisher goes under 1-5 screens as Jalen rains uncontested jumpers and the Knick lead shrinks. Neither team can run with these point guards. New York doesn’t have an inside scorer or anyone to force a double to open the floor for Fish catch and shoot. Jalen’s shooting practice makes it tighter as NY has a 5 point lead at half.

New York comes out for the second half with more aggression as Payton picks up Magic earlier in the backcourt and Jones pounces in the passing lanes. Meatball transition and early O hits the brakes. Rested Knick bigs are better in trapping pick and roll/pop. The Knicks ride the energy burst and adjustments to get the running game cranked up.

Pierce from GP...slaaaam dunk as he laughs at Sheed while hanging from the rim. Oooh Pierce landed wrong! Pierce is limping, he looks longingly at the trainer, who has conjured a wheelchair from thin air! Pierce hobbles toward it. As he sits in it wincing Sheed gets behind the wheelchair to push him and takes off at full speed downcourt! Sheed makes a Tarzan yell then lets go go as a wide eyed Pierce barrels into the Swedish Bikini Team on the baseline. "There! Now you're really injured Professor X!" Tech on Sheed. Magic takes the ball and slaps it to the floor in frustration, staring daggers at Wallace and shaking his head. New York hits the ft. Moses easy 2. Knicks up 13. Pierce makes a miraculous recovery and seems to be okey dokey.

Magic is still chewing out his teammtes as Sweden returns to the court. The Meatballs turn to the Amoeba, trap Pierce wing, two defenders right next to Moses, Magic near Webber to contest elbow. The wing opposite court is undefended as the D overloads. Pierce to Payton to Eddie and Sweden concedes the shot. Clang, long board, run, layup. 3. Clang, Moses o board putback. Clang, Tmac layup. Time out New York up 9. Elie for Jones.

Sweden wants to jump start their running game and adjusts to the Payton ball pressure by fully utilzing a team where every player is 6-8 or taller. Camby easily beats Moses to midcourt, Magic passes over Payton to Camby, a decent passer, he gets it to Tmac and McGrady can run transition to finish or go into early offense. Sweden runs it down New York’s throat off makes or boards to get within 3 after three. Moses staggers to the bench and motions for the oxygen tank.

Moses sits for the first five minutes of the fourth. Pierce is needed to carry the offense with some 3 help from Elie and Fish, and Webber as a pass/shoot hub elbow. Sweden goes to the box and one to make Pierce work against a fresh Iguodala. Pierce can draw fouls but his 3 shot is short as his legs need rest. Sweden runs off the misses and ties it up. Webber is the successful focus of the offense for New York for a few minutes and gets the lead back but he too needs rest to close. Both benches empty and it’s a 3 contest, Elie and Fish vs. Schrempf and Jalen. Open bombay doors it’s raining 3’s. Oops Fish stepped on the line that’s only a 2. New York up 4.

8 minutes to go. Starters return but Schrempf stays. Sweden has Sheed at center and continues to run. Moses has his wind back but after 30 minutes of running his legs are Malt-O-Meal. Sheed takes advantage, Schrempf 3, tied up. Magic with the warmed up 3 shooters runs 4 down. Stagger screens for Detlef 3’s in catch and shoot. Bang. Sheed in catch and shoot midrange from Magic. Bang. Pierce 3 no, 3 yes Sweden by 4.

2 minutes to go. GP drives past Magic kicks to Webber, down. 2 point game. Magic in ice vs. GP, fouled hits both, back to 4. Moses underneath forces it up vs. the double, no. Rodman outlet to Magic dribble drive into the lane, the no look pass over his shoulder to Sheed, slam. Up 6. Game. Sweden wins.

Sweden 2-0
Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Coaches vote: 4-0 Sweden.

Game comments from coaches:

Sweden moderate win, While Pierce is the modern version of Zeus, Sweden's combo of Magic and T-Mac prevail. Better game plan by Sweden and a more realistic view of his own talent.

New York actually matches up very well with Sweden. Rodman's offensive retardation allows Pierce to sag off and help Payton on Magic if such a problem comes to fruition (which I imagine it would). Zone allows this to happen (which I think was a major mistake on Sweden's part, as I think they would do MUCH better under old rules). The ability to use zone gives Sweden major problems on offense, as New York also has some quick defenders that can shade and help, but still have time to recover.

On the other end, New York has very good passers at positions 1-4. Unfortunately, they plan to establish Moses in the paint, and that will be a problem. Sweden's zone with two shotblockers ready to double down and trap Moses creates a problem, as Moses was not a good passer, and did average quite a few TOs that year. The perimeter starters for New York have the ability to knock down the 3 when/if they get a pass out from the post, but they aren't incredibly proficient at it. Furthermore, Sweden's length will lead to quite a few TOs off of any passes from Moses, and allow them to get out on the break (which will be their best opportunity to score).

Looking at just starters, it's really, REALLY close. However, when we look at depth, there's no contest. Some of the role players for New York aren't just role players in the ATL - they're role players on NBA teams. Fisher, Lue, Prince and Ellie vs. Rose, Iguodala, Deng, and Threatt? Advantage for the latter. Ratliff, Salley, and Cliff vs. Cartwright and Scrempf? Huge advantage for the latter.

Teams play more or less even in the 1st and 3rd quarters, but Sweden dominates in the 2nd and 4th when starters need a rest. Sweden by 12 in a game that didn't get out of reach, but wasn't really in jeopardy either.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Congrats ya big meatball!
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks Sky, DB, and whoever else was on the judging panel(coaches of the opposing conf). It was fun while it lasted.
Let me say this a 4-0 vote is insane, i'm not buying that at all. thats being honest. And it has nothing to do with a gameplan or it being perfectly line out as the guidelines show. everything was in there that needed to be in there to convince some of you of a win vs magic and crew. my team was to balanced and i explained that on more then one occasion in the writeup. But guess what, once i saw magic and rodman on his team, i already knew the thought process would go with Sexy names over not as sexy names. on top of the fact i have webb and jones people you guys think are chokers(which they really were not). and i have pierce (a guy that is running around talking about he's the best thing since ham and eggs). thats strike 1, 2, and 3. I'm out.
but let me say this AGAIN.... the next time you guys do this, there needs to be penalties for people who are over the salary cap. at that weak slot I pulled off a miracle team full of balance and did it under the cap. shoot, call me mitch "the magic wand" Kupkup. remember you guys didn't believe in mitch either until after the fact. peace out fellas,, until next time.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:

jamas = sexy
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject:

reminds me of the mother of the bandmember... during a parade she says to the person next to her "Look my johnny is marching properly while all the other people in the band is marching off beat."
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot marches to the beat of his own special drum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: