The Official Lamar Odom Thread 0f 2008-2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: The Official Lamar Odom Thread 0f 2008-2009

Lamar can play the 6th man role like Ginobili...

he can facilitate the offense, lead the 2nd unit, and play both forward positions...get him plenty of minutes, just start him off the bench

ariza can start and set the tone for defense, with him and Kobe guarding the permeter...but he would end up at ~20 minutes a game

any thoughts?

sorry if its a repost, just came into my head now
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Ariza wont start as long as odom's here IMO. no way the Lakers pay odom all that coin to come off the bench!
jordanplusone
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:

YES
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:

If he proves to be the best option, no, but that won't be determined in camp or preseason.

Odom will be given every possible opportunity.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject:

He picked up his option with the Lakers for a reason. He's not going to sit on the bench long. He will get a lot of playing time next season. Mitch and Phil have both promised him time; and view him as a valuable asset.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if the starting lineup next year was: Odom, Bryant, Ariza, Gasol and Bynum.
masas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I just thought that Odom might be a lot more effective in a ginobili like role...since he CAN do a little bit of everything

and it would give our second unit a huge boost without really taking too much away from the starting 5, imo
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I think Ariza should start over Lamar.

Lamar plays better when he is a pf, so i don't see why not have him come off the bench at PF. He will be better than any other bench player in the league, so it would probably be better for us.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Yes, they should lock you up in a looney bin. Luke should be the starter.
LakersFanKB#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind Ariza starting at all
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Ariza SHOULD start
Lamar is not a SF and now that we have Powell I hope he is traded for a PG
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be too crazy to start Ariza at the 3?

Ariza is an energy player, and unless your having problems with slow starts, energy players are usually best off the bench. When your team is dragging you toss them in there and they can change the pace of a game. He really doesn't do anything better than Odom though, aside from being a high octane and high effort guy. Odom is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and shooter than Trevor, and personally I think Odom is a better defender in many cases.

Trevor is a better athlete and that athleticism can help him bother and disrupt some players. He can guard point guards, and when a guy is hot he is someone who can come in, gamble, pressure and give them a different look. He isn't a sound defender though fundamentally, he gets by on his athleticism, and can get burnt. He's got the potential to be an elite defender, and right now his defense is reminiscent to me of when we had Devean George here. If a guy catches fire, put Ariza on him and see if he can bother him. If nothing else he makes the player adjust which can help take them out of a zone. In normal minute to minute defense though, he's overrated.

So Trevor stays on the bench, and we use him to try to disrupt hot players or to give us a boost of energy when we need it, in my opinion. It's funny Odom is pretty solid all around, but he is only a mediocre shooter, and there are countless threads about why he won't work as a small forward because he can't spread the floor. Well Trevor is a terrible shooter, and he isn't up to par on other areas that Odom is. I'm not sure why people think he would work better in that role. You could do worse than having Ariza as a starting small forward, but Odom is the better player. Not only that but Odom can be a ball handler and relive Kobe from those duties, Ariza can not. Moreover, Odom figures to be our backup power forward, as well. It's a lot easier to start Odom and then give Pau a breather at the 6-8 minute mark, slide Odom to the 4 and Ariza comes in at the 3. When Pau comes back he gives Bynum a blow. Odom can't come off the bench and backup two positions. He can start at the 3 though and slide over to the 4 when Pau goes out of the game.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ariza is better suited for the running second squad
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:

If Ariza continues his progression as a player, I can definitely see him supplanting Lamar as starting SF at some point next season.

But, it seem like the FO and coaching staff is pretty dead set on trying out that big frontcourt of Lamar, Pau, and Andrew.

Either way, I see Ariza being the 6th or 7th man in our rotation at the very least.

JUST-MING wrote:
It wouldn't shock me in the least if the starting lineup next year was: Odom, Bryant, Ariza, Gasol and Bynum.

It wouldn't shock me either if that ended up being our best or crunch time lineup.

Odom as push guard on offense and guards SF's on defense.

Kobe as weakside guard on offense and guards PG's on defense.

Ariza as strongside wing on offense and guards SG's on defense.

With Gasol and Bynum in the PF and C roles on both ends of the court.
Lakers For Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I'd have to say no to Ariza starting for the simple fact we havn't yet seen Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Kobe play together yet.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:

it's not crazy at all, and it's going to happen as the season progresses unless odom does develop a decent outside shot - because shooting ability is the only reason to play odom at sf over ariza.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I hope he does start.

It would be better if Lamar played the 4.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be too crazy to start Ariza at the 3?

J.C. Smith wrote:
Ariza is an energy player, and unless your having problems with slow starts, energy players are usually best off the bench. When your team is dragging you toss them in there and they can change the pace of a game. He really doesn't do anything better than Odom though, aside from being a high octane and high effort guy. Odom is a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and shooter than Trevor, and personally I think Odom is a better defender in many cases.

Trevor is a better athlete and that athleticism can help him bother and disrupt some players. He can guard point guards, and when a guy is hot he is someone who can come in, gamble, pressure and give them a different look. He isn't a sound defender though fundamentally, he gets by on his athleticism, and can get burnt. He's got the potential to be an elite defender, and right now his defense is reminiscent to me of when we had Devean George here. If a guy catches fire, put Ariza on him and see if he can bother him. If nothing else he makes the player adjust which can help take them out of a zone. In normal minute to minute defense though, he's overrated.

So Trevor stays on the bench, and we use him to try to disrupt hot players or to give us a boost of energy when we need it, in my opinion. It's funny Odom is pretty solid all around, but he is only a mediocre shooter, and there are countless threads about why he won't work as a small forward because he can't spread the floor. Well Trevor is a terrible shooter, and he isn't up to par on other areas that Odom is. I'm not sure why people think he would work better in that role. You could do worse than having Ariza as a starting small forward, but Odom is the better player. Not only that but Odom can be a ball handler and relive Kobe from those duties, Ariza can not. Moreover, Odom figures to be our backup power forward, as well. It's a lot easier to start Odom and then give Pau a breather at the 6-8 minute mark, slide Odom to the 4 and Ariza comes in at the 3. When Pau comes back he gives Bynum a blow. Odom can't come off the bench and backup two positions. He can start at the 3 though and slide over to the 4 when Pau goes out of the game.

j.c. i've always agreed with about 99.5% of everything you say. you've got some solid takes and you seem to think just like me. to me, you and lakerjam are the voices of reason on here. HOWEVER....., i disagree with you.

as i've said before, i've watched trevor since he was a terrible shooting freshman. he was still not a good shooter when he came to the lakers. during his time off he worked hard on his shot and when you go to the games and watch him warm up, you can see it. he didnt get enough consistent run to really tell but it was clear to me during warmups of several playoff games i went to that he finally has a touch. i assure you.....trevor cant be called a terrible shooter. even kobe acknowledged that trevor's shot improved a lot while he was off. at more than 1 game, i saw him consistently nailing 3 point shots during warmups. he couldnt do that before.

nothing i say will prove it but i assure you that trevor will start the season as a good shooter and people will think he accomplished that during the off season. he's already a better shooter and in 2 months, everyone will be seeing it.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't want Kobe running the O. That is what will happen if Ariza is starting.

---George Carlin
Buddha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Only if your name is Phil Jackson.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Its kinda like starting at RB in the NFL now adays. Lamar will start, but Ariza may get solid minutes at SF if he works hard and impresses Phil. They'll go with the big lineup and give either tower a break with Lamar sliding down and Ariza coming in.
Wags_16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Not at all....
D Nice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Assuming we don't move Odom, it's what I'm hoping for. He does everything we want Odom to EXCEPT stretch the defense (great movement off the ball, good offensive rebounder, great decision maker, very good man/team defender who can force turnovers, efficient). And unlike Odom, he's at least got 1 area on the court where he's consistent from 3 (the corners) and has dedicated himself to covering up his deficiencies (adding weight, working on his J).

If he comes back the same player with a better 3-point shot, I think it'd be foolish NOT to start him. If he fulfills even more of his upside than that...watch out!
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Starting Ariza over Lamar ,yes it is crazy
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Until he gets bettter than Odom it would be crazy.
We will see how he has improved. If he can actually beat out Lamar at the three, we would have it made and could trade Odom for whatever our next greatest need is.
I don't see it happening, but stranger stuff has happened before.
Big Chief Triangle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Until he gets bettter than Odom it would be crazy.
We will see how he has improved. If he can actually beat out Lamar at the three, we would have it made and could trade Odom for whatever our next greatest need is.
I don't see it happening, but stranger stuff has happened before.

Our need at SF really isn't that great.

All we need is a shooter who will pull the trigger.

If Trevor can do that we need to move Lamar for a PG.

Lamar/Luke/Walton for Felton/Morrison

Happy Trails Lamar......
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Page 1 of 166
Jump to: