Kobe in the offense

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Kobe in the offense

We've had many discussions about Kobe's recent struggles. His shot is off, he seems indecisive, he gets doubled a lot, team spacing is a mess, and his teammates aren't cutting. Fatigue and long minutes can also be blamed. So it's a combination of things.

What hasn't changed is that Kobe pretty much gets the ball where he wants it most of the time. His subsequent decisions and the lack of movement by his teammates play a big role in the Lakers offensive struggles.

The point of this thread is to show the variety of ways Kobe gets the ball in the offense in order to operate. As we all know, Kobe does not control the ball as much as Lebron, nor does he play a Michael Redd type catch-and-shoot game. His role is somewhere between the two. The offense provides him with the opportunity to get the ball on the wing, in the low-post, and in the pinch post in order to use his one-on-one talent.

I cover both halfcourt and semi transition situations. I do not cover non-Triangle options, such as pick and rolls, which I wrote about in a thread a couple weeks ago.

Enjoy.

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tm0sn8 (pdf, 12 pages, 11 diagrams)
wmason
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Kobe rarely gets it where he wants it. He wants it in the low post, but he's our only competent post entry passer. So by the time the pass has been made, he has been rooted out. Or, he just has to leave the post and come out behind the three point line just to get it.
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wilt!

Just so everyone knows, we will be moving Wilt's previous posts to the HOF forum.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject:

wmason wrote:
Kobe rarely gets it where he wants it. He wants it in the low post, but he's our only competent post entry passer. So by the time the pass has been made, he has been rooted out. Or, he just has to leave the post and come out behind the three point line just to get it.

He wants it there some of the time, but not exclusively. Depends on the game flow and the matchup. I still think he's most comfortable in the pinch post on the weak-side. He does get it where he wants it most of the time. But it's very easy to double team him these days due to lack of movement and the struggles by Ariza and Vujacic to shoot from the outside.
fsc401
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Great read. I also believe Kobe is most deadly in pinch post, 18-20 foot era, in tripple threat position
n9c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Great read
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Wilt, your stuff is friggin' fantastic. Thanks so much.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject:

now the others teams have an instant scouting report on kobe and the lakers. thanks!
LakersBooster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject:

thnks bro...

by the way:
Quote:

As he has gradually given up his role as initiator of the offense to Odom and Fisher

thats a weakness, fisher initiating the offense....quick jumpers and his patented drive to the hole...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
now the others teams have an instant scouting report on kobe and the lakers. thanks!

They've had it for years.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is tired. He's repeating all of his movements like he's in automode. I think he needs to rest.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: