Play-In for 7th: Lakers @ Pelicans (4-16-24)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

If we couldn't beat GSW or Kings once, then what makes people think we could beat Denver 4 times??

I'm rooting for Pelicans HARD in this one. I want the 8th seed and face OKC where we've toasted them 3 out of 4 times this year. Our FO is too dumb to figure it out. They need some luck...lol.

GO PELICANS GO!!
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

YOU PLAY TO WIN. You never lose on purpose. Besides the last two losses where we were missing Lebron and Ad, we have been on a run with momentum. We are going to have to face them anyways. Also, I think there are more days rest in the first round. A rested Lebron against Nuggets is way better than hoping another team beats them before we face them.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If we couldn't beat GSW or Kings once, then what makes people think we could beat Denver 4 times??

I'm rooting for Pelicans HARD in this one. I want the 8th seed and face OKC where we've toasted them 3 out of 4 times this year. Our FO is too dumb to figure it out. They need some luck...lol.

GO PELICANS GO!!

There is no guarantee we beat OKC, and we will be facing Denver or a team that is good enough to beat Denver in a playoff series.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

GO PELICANS GO!!

There is no guarantee we beat OKC, and we will be facing Denver or a team that is good enough to beat Denver in a playoff series.

There's no guarantee for anything. I think I've stated that matchup is key. It would be a shame if we matched up well against the other teams but we got eliminated by the one team that matched up well against us. Shame.

No guarantee we beat OKC but they should definitely be easier than Denver based on past records. I want the "statistically easiest" path to the championship and Denver is statistically the hardest matchup for the Lakers.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

GO PELICANS GO!!

There's no guarantee for anything. I think I've stated that matchup is key. It would be a shame if we matched up well against the other teams but we got eliminated by the one team that matched up well against us. Shame.

No guarantee we beat OKC but they should definitely be easier than Denver based on past records. I want the "statistically easiest" path to the championship and Denver is statistically the hardest matchup for the Lakers.

The thing is it really doesn't matter that you want
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

GO PELICANS GO!!

In first round, maybe, but this is a playin game, nobody ever tanks those. Someone would have to knock Denver out which means that team would likely be super hot (like suns), Denver has no known bad matchups, so if a team is good enough to beat them, it won’t be any easier for us even if we made it that deep.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Best case is GSW over kings and NOP over lakers

Lakers aren’t beating Denver. We aren’t beating the kings either.

GSW and okc are doable
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject:

people are nuts who say we should lose. The Kings may be the team we end up playing a must win and we have seen how that has gone.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Best case is GSW over kings and NOP over lakers

Lakers aren’t beating Denver. We aren’t beating the kings either.

GSW and okc are doable

If we can’t beat them, then we might as well book Cancun trip now
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
27 wrote:
getting the nuggets in the 1st round is ideal. Nick Wright was right that if we cant beat them, then why hope to get them later. Get them now and if we lose, we lose. But if we win, that would be so sweet.

If the nuggets did want the Lakers, then they have us. I would love to knock them out so bad.

We want the Nuggets later because there's a chance some other team might eliminate them for us. Why is it so hard for people to understand? If we play them now in the first round, then we 100% face them, there is no other possibility that we will not face them.

What I want is the easiest path to a championship. I don't care if we have to dodge them or do whatever. I will swallow my pride or whatever. Call me a coward for wanting to dodge the Nuggets as long as I get championship 18. That's all that matters. Years from now, people wouldn't even know who we played or who was even on the team. They would just remember championship number 18.

I see your point but I can't agree with it. I guess i dont see a realistic chance of dodging them but if there was a way to, sure.

I think our disconnect is losing a game on purpose to dodge nuggets in the 1st round. I do not like the risk of losing a game *on purpose* and then having to win to even enter the dance. I want to win now and know we are in the playoffs. Obviously, if the pelicans come out and win a hard fought game, then you tip your hat and hope you win the next one. But to hope to lose a game and then risk your playoff life isn't worth dodging the nuggest in the 1st round. Lakers messed up and played in too many games this year and thats why I don't trust them surely beat the kings or warriors for the 8th spot. I want them to win now and handle business in the 1st. Nuggets have had our number and we both want number 18, so im not blind to your point but I cannot get on that wagon to aim for 8th.

Very frusterating because I think the Lakers are a top 4 team in the west and to be in this position is absurd. Lets hope they catch fire
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I feel like if the Lakers lose this game they will also lose vs the Kings/Warriore so they better win this one.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject:

17 WINS TO GO!!!!
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I want SMOKE with Denver.

Win and lets see what happens.

Losing on purpose is idiotic, playing a game you don't need, and risking an injury isn't ideal.

Also, the two teams that we would face can easily steam roll us if they get hot.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. Facing Denver is inevitable. Might as well do it in the 1st round.

And Lakers own the Pels. Don't take them for granted. Take any win you can get.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject:

You don’t play with fire and risk missing playoffs altogether just to avoid Denver. The first round is the most likely time we’ll be able to beat them. (Chances are slim but get slimmer as the playoffs progresses)

Murray still rounding into form, even if he’s just 90% instead 100% back into rhythm that might make all the difference…
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject:

I’m glad the Lakers have a chance to face Denver in the first round. I hope the Laker players aren’t like many fans with the losing mentality to tank on purpose to avoid a them.

I want to find out as soon as possible if the Lakers are “bout dat life” so I can go all in if they are. If they had an easy road like last year I’d be to concerned that it would end like last year, especially since the roster seems like it really wasn’t upgraded much if at all.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I get where the dodge Denver crowd is coming from. If that's our draw and they steamroll, it will be upsetting. But thankfully, it just isn't how the Lakers do things. That's the defending champion, the team that knocked us out last year, the team that talked trash all offseason, and the team we said we were going to be ready for this season.

None of the Laker greats throughout history would have backed down from the challenge. Neither should the current ones.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Yep. I'm not with the "I hope someone else can beat Denver for us" mindset. If this team is going to win a title it'll be because we figure out how to play at a level where nobody can beat us in a 7 game series, just like we did for our last title, when we kicked Denver's ass on the way to getting that title.

If we need to dodge Denver by losing on purpose, that says our strategy is to get lucky and depend on some other team doing us a favor, the strategy of choice for losers.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Im hoping for the 1995 Suns situation where Danny Manning gets injured for the year and the Suns lose the championship they were supposed to win.

Does anyone even remember or care that Manning (second or third best player on the Suns and the glue to that team) being injured is the biggest reason the Rockets barely squeaked past the Suns????? Is that even a talking point even though that IS the reason Phoenix lost to Houston that year????

No right????? Exactly. Just need Murray and/or MPJ out for the series thank you very much.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
people are nuts who say we should lose. The Kings may be the team we end up playing a must win and we have seen how that has gone.

I get the argument.
If it’s championship or bust.
It doesn’t matter if we lose in the 1st round or play-in. Might be worth the risk for an easier 1st round.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Im hoping for the 1995 Suns situation where Danny Manning gets injured for the year and the Suns lose the championship they were supposed to win.

Does anyone even remember or care that Manning (second or third best player on the Suns and the glue to that team) being injured is the biggest reason the Rockets barely squeaked past the Suns????? Is that even a talking point even though that IS the reason Phoenix lost to Houston that year????

No right????? Exactly. Just need Murray and/or MPJ out for the series thank you very much.

Danny Manning being hurt that season was not the reason the Suns blew a 3-1 lead that series. They choked.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I get the argument.
If it’s championship or bust.
It doesn’t matter if we lose in the 1st round or play-in. Might be worth the risk for an easier 1st round.

Denver might be harder to beat later in the playoffs though. Last year they looked beatable in Round 2 against the Suns
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Danny Manning being hurt that season was not the reason the Suns blew a 3-1 lead that series. They choked.

Nobody "choked" on the Suns. They just got beat by a better team that was full of clutch mentally strong veterans. Lets see how the Rockets would have done against Phoenix if the Suns had Manning and the Rockets were missing their glue guy (3rd best player) who is actually inferior to Manning (Horry). Try 4-0 Sweep

Its like saying how would the Kobe-Pau Lakers have done without Odom (the glue guy and third best player). Try beating the 2010 Celtics with Odom injured.

Its a testament to how good those 95 Suns were that they won 59 games with either Manning or Kevin Johnson out that year - both of them didnt play many games together. If all those pieces were healthy, NOBODY that year would have beat Phoenix.

But again, like you, nobody gives a (bleep) about injuries. Hence, I would like Murray and MPJ gone for the series vs LA for us to have any chance because in like 30 years people will say LA just won that series, not that Denver was missing its critical pieces
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

You don't think we could beat the Kings one time so you'd rather we beat Denver four times? Makes perfect sense.

I'm very well aware we've played poorly against the Kings but what about against Denver? We haven't beaten Denver in 8 tries.

Kings have owned us but Denver has owned us even more.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

You don't think we could beat the Kings one time so you'd rather we beat Denver four times? Makes perfect sense.

I'm very well aware we've played poorly against the Kings but what about against Denver? We haven't beaten Denver in 8 tries.

Frankly against Denver, we are just the inferior team. Against the Kings its like the 1995 Lakers vs Supersonics. We had their number that year and even beat them in the playoffs even though they were a much better team (48 wins vs 57 wins and the projected wins is even more skewed to the point of laughable 40 wins vs 61 wins - yea the gap was THAT large even though the Lakers beat the Supersonics ALL 5 TIMES that year) because of matchups such as Van Exel loving to destroy Seattle (Like Fox vs Lakers) and how for some reason, Shawn Kemp struggled against the inferior Elden Campbell because of the bulk and size (AD vs Sabonis)

Well this trend ended the very next year when the Supersonics made the finals and played Chicago. Similarly, I expect this weird trend to frankly end because AD should NOT be struggling with Sabonis and LA should not have this kind of hard time with Sacramento.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28
Jump to: