Trojans gave Bush the stiff arm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Trojans gave Bush the stiff arm

Quote:
But not one of them was named Reggie Bush.

Bush called USC on Friday requesting a sideline pass but didn't get one.

If Reggie Bush, the former Heisman Trophy winner and creator of all jaw-dropping things imaginable in cleats, can't get a pass, who can?

Marcus Allen, Leinart, Ronnie Lott, Charles White and John Papadakis did. They secured the maximum fivepasses the NCAA allows for ex-players. According to a USC official, Bush's request was a moot point, since the passes already had been given away by the time Bush called.

USC couldn't - or wouldn't - find a way to get Bush a ticket. And to think of all the crafty moves Bush used to find the end zone for USC.

Wow!! That's (bleep) up......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Just trying to distance themselves from the reported ethics violations?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
Just trying to distance themselves from the reported ethics violations?
Still (bleep) up....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Yeah, even if they were over the limit of passes they're aloud to give, I'm sure they could've used an additional towel boy or something. C'mon, that's just weak!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:

So with all the crap going on with Reggie's family possibly receiving compensation in violation of NCAA rules, USC is supposed to go out of its way to circumvent NCAA rules to get Reggie on the sideline for the Rose Bowl? That's rich. Who else called and was told all 5 spots were filled? Palmer? Lendale White? Why does Reggie deserve special treatment?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I don't follow USC at all, so I know anything about any investigations. So maybe that's enough to deny him a pass. Are the investigations that serious?

The question I have, is that if he's cleared from whatever these investigations are, how pissed is he gonna be at USC? He could be a huge benefit to them from a recruiting standpoint and from a PR standpoint. Reggie is probably their most marketable guy from the past 5 years, so he does deserve special treatment. He's a top rookie in the NFL now. Sure, Palmer is right up there too, and maybe Leinart, but Reggie is the highest profile by lots.

So it's a risk for them to snub him. Again, I dunno if it's deserved since I don't know about any investigations, but on the surface, it doesn't make them look great.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

NCAA rules say that you can only give 5 former players passes. So USC already gave all of theirs out by the time Reggie called (although most of them were to less valuable players). Most people agree that that is what actually happened. But then they are saying that if USC wanted they could've taken a pass away from someone else and given it to Reggie or given Reggie tickets that were basically right on the field. However, these people think that USC didn't do it because Reggie is still under investigation and they want to distance themselves from Reggie because they don't want their title to be taken away.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Given that the Bush family's selfishness is putting USC at risk for losing their National Title, I'm not surprised to see that USC might not want him anywhere near their sidelines. If I were them, I'd have made the same call.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

So he called on Friday and expected a ticket? I'm sure the 5 passes were given out long before then..no?
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah, like USC couldn't have made one extra spot for Reggie freakin Bush, the most exciting CFB player in the last decade. Give me a break, SC is just trying to distance themselves from him as the investigation in Bush-gate is starting to heat up. They knew he was getting money during college, and now they are trying to play stupid and throw Reggie under the bus.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject:

FarmartoAfflalo wrote:
Yeah, like USC couldn't have made one extra spot for Reggie freakin Bush, the most exciting CFB player in the last decade. Give me a break, SC is just trying to distance themselves from him as the investigation in Bush-gate is starting to heat up. They knew he was getting money during college, and now they are trying to play stupid and throw Reggie under the bus.

Quote:
Reggie Bush, who helped Southern Cal win a national championship, was peeved when the Trojans wouldn't allow him to stand on the sidelines during the Rose Bowl game. But USC officials didn't have any problem with one of their other former running backs, O. J. Simpson, showing up at practice a few days earlier.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
FarmartoAfflalo wrote:

Quote:
Reggie Bush, who helped Southern Cal win a national championship, was peeved when the Trojans wouldn't allow him to stand on the sidelines during the Rose Bowl game. But USC officials didn't have any problem with one of their other former running backs, O. J. Simpson, showing up at practice a few days earlier.

Which is exactly why it makes no sense to think that they would be trying to distance themselves from Bush by denying him a sideline pass. You don't avoid Bush because of NCAA violations only to allow your program to be associated with Mr. If I Did It.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:

FarmartoAfflalo wrote:

What a shocker – the topic is SC and we get another silly, uniformed comment by you. It goes slightly deeper than you know, but I’ll try and give you a shortened version here. 1st off, who were they going to take a pass away from? You wouldn't know, but the guys who got the passes are the guys who have been coming to every game over the last 10 years, with the exception of Leinart - who called the office well before Friday. The fact that Reggie was an exciting player doesn't lessen the contributions of Anthony Munoz and Ronnie Lott, among others. Hell, even Sean Salisbury has been a constant on the sidelines so he is getting his. I know it’s hard to imagine Cade McNown, Kris Farris and Danny Farmer lining up to get sideline passes to the Emerald Bowl, but even if they did, there’s a limit as to what teams can give. So if Ricky Manning calls the day before the game but JoJo Townsell and Drew Bennett already have the allotment, too bad Ricky – he can go watch it at Denny’s.

As far as 'distancing themselves from the investigation', it's simply not true. USC has done everything the NCAA has asked, and it's been Bush who has distanced himself. He's not required to talk, and he hasn't. It benefits him not to, and could potentially hurt SC. So if anyone is playing stupid and throwing people under proverbial busses, it's Bush doing it to SC. It shouldn't come as a shock that he couldn't get a pass, even if one was available.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
too bad Ricky – he can go watch it at Denny’s.

Do they have TV's at Denny's? I gotta start going there...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Quote:
too bad Ricky – he can go watch it at Denny’s.

Do they have TV's at Denny's? I gotta start going there...
No you don't!!!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

If the passes are all gone, what can you do? Are they supposed to hold them to the last minute? Are they supposed to take one away from someone already given a pass? He waited until Friday to call for the Rose Bowl? The passes were given to legitimate ex-players. Allen is a Superbowl MVP, NFL HOF, and Heisman winner. Lott is a NFL HOF. White and Leinert are Heisman winners. USC has seven Heisman Winners. People make plans. I wouldn't read anything into it, except Bush has to plan ahead.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Passes.. are we really talking about passes?

I know Schiano (RU coach) asked as many former players that wanted to too be on the sideline. He wanted to start a tradition like they had at Miami, plus OK used to do it too. Doesn’t make sense, if Jon Bon Jovi can be on the sidelines for the Sugar Bowl, Reggie should be on the sideline before Charles White, and Papadakis...

Please,.. if mighty SC wanted the Heisman Trophy winner on the sidelines, he would of been on the sidelines... plain and simple, end of story...

Since when is Bush not a legimate ex SC player?
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

I know Schiano (RU coach) asked as many former players that wanted to too be on the sideline. He wanted to start a tradition like they had at Miami, plus OK used to do it too. Doesn’t make sense, if Jon Bon Jovi can be on the sidelines for the Sugar Bowl, Reggie should be on the sideline before Charles White, and Papadakis...

Please,.. if mighty SC wanted the Heisman Trophy winner on the sidelines, he would of been on the sidelines... plain and simple, end of story...

You're wrong. You're basing it simply on the fact that Reggie was a good player who won the Heisman. And you're talking about Rutgers and Miami in regards to home games. Not bowl games. If Reggie wants to roam the sideline at the Coliseum, he can. But it's foolish to think you can waltz up to gate and get in 4 days before the game and demand entry. And trust me when I say that Charles White and John Papadakis have as much right to be there as any player.

I have no idea how or why Bon Jovi was there, but it has NOTHING to do with why Reggie Bush was not. The two are not related in the least, and to try to compare them is worthless.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
TACH wrote:

You're wrong. You're basing it simply on the fact that Reggie was a good player who won the Heisman. And you're talking about Rutgers and Miami in regards to home games. Not bowl games. If Reggie wants to roam the sideline at the Coliseum, he can. But it's foolish to think you can waltz up to gate and get in 4 days before the game and demand entry. And trust me when I say that Charles White and John Papadakis have as much right to be there as any player.

I have no idea how or why Bon Jovi was there, but it has NOTHING to do with why Reggie Bush was not. The two are not related in the least, and to try to compare them is worthless.

Quote:
Fox's Jay Glazer reported: "Reggie Bush has told me that USC does not want him on the sidelines, or present anywhere at [the] Rose Bowl."

Quote:
Glazer reported it's Bush's guess "that his appearance would stoke controversy surrounding the allegations that surfaced earlier in the year surrounding his parents and that house. Reggie is very hurt by this. O.J. Simpson can go to a practice, but Reggie can't go to the game? You've got to be kidding me."

Quote:
USC said it decided more than a week ago who would receive the allocated sideline passes and Bush was too late with his request. No reason to believe that's not true, but hard to imagine the school wouldn't go out of its way to find a place in the Rose Bowl for its most recent Heisman winner if he wanted to be here.

Quote:
If Bush's guess is correct and USC wants to distance itself from him, it's more than just a sad ending to a terrific time for Trojan football. It raises the question what the NCAA is going to have to say about that same time in USC football lore.

How many former players attend last year's Rose Bowl?

Like I said, if they wanted him there, he would be there....
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

What is Glazer saying there that provides anything remotely close to resembling proof that SC simply snubbed Bush? Bush 'suggested' that SC doesn't want him there, and then Bush 'guessed' that his appearance would stoke controversy? Okay.

And to answer your question, at last year's game there were Anthony Munoz, Sean Salisbury, Ronnie Lott, Marcus Allen and someone I am forgetting, but it wasn't Charles White or Anthony Davis, guys who've been loyal to the school since they day they left and who deserve as much as anyone the chance to be on the sideline. Also, there were several players sitting in the stands right next to us. Hell, several years ago Rod Dedeaux was in the stands with us, and he has a baseball stadium named after him.

You can say they could have snapped their fingers and had him there as much as you like, but it doesn't make it accurate.

If you want to blame someone, blame the NCAA. But they're the ones who had to put the clamps down on SC in the first place.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
What is Glazer saying there that provides anything remotely close to resembling proof that SC simply snubbed Bush? Bush 'suggested' that SC doesn't want him there, and then Bush 'guessed' that his appearance would stoke controversy? Okay.

And to answer your question, at last year's game there were Anthony Munoz, Sean Salisbury, Ronnie Lott, Marcus Allen and someone I am forgetting, but it wasn't Charles White or Anthony Davis, guys who've been loyal to the school since they day they left and who deserve as much as anyone the chance to be on the sideline. Also, there were several players sitting in the stands right next to us. Hell, several years ago Rod Dedeaux was in the stands with us, and he has a baseball stadium named after him.

You can say they could have snapped their fingers and had him there as much as you like, but it doesn't make it accurate.

If you want to blame someone, blame the NCAA. But they're the ones who had to put the clamps down on SC in the first place.
Come on... SC could of, at the least, had him attend the game, even if not on the sidelines....

Quote:
"Reggie Bush has told me that USC does not want him on the sidelines, or present anywhere at [the] Rose Bowl."
- Suggestion? That doesn't sound like a suggestion.

SC players that attended last year:

Anthony Munoz (sideline)
Rodney Peete (sideline)
Clay Matthews
Marcus Allen (sideline)
Ronnie Lott (sideline)
Shaun Cody
Darrell Rideaux
Kenechi Udeze
Mike Patterson
Brent McCaffrey
Pat Howell
Sean Salisbury (sideline?)
John Mazur
Steve Jordan
Charles White
Paul McDonald
John Jackson
Petros Papadakis

They had five passes, nobody thought the save one or contact Bush, last year Heiman Trophy winner, about it? Please, they snubbed him, plain and simple. We'll have to agree to disagree.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

Absurd! Taking passes away from player? No way! Kicking Charles White to the curb? No way! Once you give the passes out, you honor your word. It's also illogical to apply a test to Bush after all the passes are gone. Bush needs to ask for passes while they are still available. Once they are gone, they are gone. If you want to complain, complain to the NCAA about the limit of five. They should change the rule to five in addition to passes for Heisman Trophy winners. Right now, the rule stands at five total passes, or you violate NCAA rules.

In his senior year, Charles White ran for 2,050 yards as a senior, a total of 6,245 yards, a Pac-10 record. He ran for a Rose Bowl record 247 yards. Charles was elected to the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame in 1996.

Honors:
College Football Hall of Fame - 1996
Heisman Trophy - 1979
Unanimous All-American - 1978, 1979
Maxwell Award - 1979
Walter Camp Award - 1979
Rose Bowl Hall of Fame - 1979
USC Hall of Fame - 1995
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

At first i thought they were full of it. But its smart by USC, i know and u know what bush did for them but u dont wake a sleeping giant. This NCAA investigation stuff is quiet right now, even though their reportedly investigating it still. But you dont take any chance, even the smallest of bringing this into the limelight again. Whats at stake? Everything, a dynasty one of the greatest runs in college football, for what? Too make a player happy? Unfortuanely as bad as its sounds, u dont do that, u make the distance now, and ude think reggie bush could realize whats more improtant.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
unggoy wrote:

Come on... SC could of, at the least, had him attend the game, even if not on the sidelines....

Quote:
"Reggie Bush has told me that USC does not want him on the sidelines, or present anywhere at [the] Rose Bowl."
- Suggestion? That doesn't sound like a suggestion.

SC players that attended last year:

Anthony Munoz (sideline)
Rodney Peete (sideline)
Clay Matthews
Marcus Allen (sideline)
Ronnie Lott (sideline)
Shaun Cody
Darrell Rideaux
Kenechi Udeze
Mike Patterson
Brent McCaffrey
Pat Howell
Sean Salisbury (sideline?)
John Mazur
Steve Jordan
Charles White
Paul McDonald
John Jackson
Petros Papadakis

They had five passes, nobody thought the save one or contact Bush, last year Heiman Trophy winner, about it? Please, they snubbed him, plain and simple. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Exactly, Tach. You're trying to reason with guys who have their heads beneath the sand. Next they'll blame the NCAA for Bush receiving money in college while the school knew about it. SC is trying to keep itself away from Reggie after making the school tens of millions. Nothing like that "trojan family"
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject:

FarmartoAfflalo wrote:

SC is trying to keep itself away from Reggie after making the school tens of millions. Nothing like that "trojan family"

You just continue to make yourself look silly, and I'm amazed at your lack of knowledge about this, yet you keep spewing your nonsense.

What part of 5 passes are you having trouble with? What part of 'called on Friday, after the sideline passes were long gone' are you not getting? Maybe the Bruins would bump Gary Beban for JJ Stokes or Cade McNown, but Reggie is not going to call the office 3 days before the game and have Ronnie Lott bumped. Or anyone else who did it the right way. But then again, maybe the late-great Godfather of UCLA basketball, Sam Gilbert, or his still-alive minion down in Newport Beach (who is carrying on the Gilbert tradition proudly) could have pulled some strings at the Rose Bowl. I'm sure you don't know his name though, because you know, burying your head in the sand regarding your team's infractions is all the rage.

But, since you know exactly what's going on with this situtation regarding Bush, you must know the other reason that Bush didn't get the pass, right? And to give you a hint, you didn't mention it already, but since you're so full of knowledge, I am sure you'll educate us all.

I'll wait.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: