Playground ball. Which type of players do you hate the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
BTW, most guys who create a list like this aren't half as good as they think they are...

It's for fun. I'm The Dreamer. One that tries with do the same moves as the Pros but can't.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
At my age I'm parts #4 & #5, oh well. The pickup game changes as you get older and your life has more responsibilities (like work). Can't be jumping in the lane and going hard after loose balls to risk injury.

BTW, most guys who create a list like this aren't half as good as they think they are...

Actually I think every person who contributed to this thread (except pnp) is pretty conscious of his level of sucktitude. If I had to rate myself using the USTA's self-rating scale, I'd say I'm a basketball 3.0-3.5.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
At my age I'm parts #4 & #5, oh well. The pickup game changes as you get older and your life has more responsibilities (like work). Can't be jumping in the lane and going hard after loose balls to risk injury.

Pnp is not most guys. As for me, I know I've got Metta's ugly handle so if you see a 6'1 Asian charging like a bull with no change in directions, it's probably me.
g3rb3r
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

The little Mexicans/Guatemalans that everyone underestimate. Good teamwork and hustle but dirty players. Warning, you might leave with scratches and an ass-whooping.

For sure my favorite games to watch when I'm waiting to get next game! haha

The only one I haven't seen mentioned is 'Anger Management Guy': The guy that argues with everyone, whether it's calling a foul or his teammates not doing the right thing by his standards, to the point where he wants to get in a fist fight in the middle of a pick-up game.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject:

As a 32 year old 6'2 white guy who looks more like a football player than a basketball, but is actually a decent basketball player, I'm not sure what category I fall into. Eh, I just go for the exercise these days anyway.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
As a 32 year old 6'2 white guy who looks more like a football player than a basketball, but is actually a decent basketball player, I'm not sure what category I fall into. Eh, I just go for the exercise these days anyway.

Hey, I'm a 6'4" white guy that grew up playing Guard, played Forward in high school, but now in streetball is somehow a Center. Which of course leads other to think I shouldn't be handling the ball or shooting jumpers, but only rebounding.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject:

Thankfully, when I play ball at the park... it's with a bunch of family and friends and everybody is pretty good about sharing the ball.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The bad-gear guy- The guy who wears skate shoes and cargo shorts yet can actually play decent ball.
ctb619
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:

The excessive sweater - has no skills to speak of, but ends up being relatively effective because no one on the opposing team dares to make physical contact with him.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:

ctb619 wrote:
The excessive sweater - has no skills to speak of, but ends up being relatively effective because no one on the opposing team dares to make physical contact with him.

I'm kind of guilty of this one. My shirt will be drenched after a couple games. I started to bring extra shirts to stay dry. haha
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject:

The hacking old guy - Usually in his mid 40's. He gives 110% and plays defense aka, fouls you on ever possession.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject:

DriftNslide wrote:
The bad-gear guy- The guy who wears skate shoes and cargo shorts yet can actually play decent ball.

This can come in the mirror form though; the guy who wears no socks, with low-cut Van's skate shoes, long cargo shorts, white t-shirt, but hasn't played basketball since he was coming off the bench in 6th grade.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ctb619 wrote:

A.C.

I had an opponent once advise his teammate to stay on me all game because I was shooting Js with him before his friends got there. He stopped to yell at the dude a few times to advise him to play harder D on me. I wind up being guarded like I'm Steve Kerr. Stick to your own assignments, br0z.

One of the more ponderous things I've seen was the so-called best player on the court stop the game to prove that the move he put on his doubting defender wasn't luck. They staged a series of sudden death "stop me from scoring" battles and then the game resumed. Later in the game, the same guy got hit in the throat and gagged comically loud. Sounded like he was dying and played it up to no end. I never saw this guy before or after, but I could tell he was an outright C.

I've also been puzzled by players who were decent, but always coasted to the extent that it was a waste of their time to even be there. Barely broke a sweat. The world doesn't hinge on the outcome of a pick up game, but trying to win isn't exactly illegal.
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject:

The "don't touch me" guy who calls sissy touch fouls.

and

the "shoot the trey every chance I can get" guy.

Biggest pet peeves for me.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:

brutella wrote:

and

Guilty on that charge. Though I do make more than I miss, usually.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:

The "I don't need any advice" guy.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Not to completely switch directions, but guys I love playing with:

1) Pass-first PG: This kid either played PG at a pretty good high school and was taught how to play the right way, or just learned through playing on the streets. He just does everything the right way. If a big grabs the defensive rebound, he'll come to him and get the ball, dribble it up the court, while scanning for the open man. If you are open he will find you. Can score at will (will blow by his man for an easy lay-up a couple times a game), but is looking to pass. Shows why guys like Nash, Magic, and Kidd are so endeared by their teammates

2) The cutter: You catch the ball and look up and this kid just cut underneath the basket and is wide open. Always. Another guy that knows how to play the right way, as opposed to the one-on-one, superstar type basketball we see a lot of now. Will shoot like 90+% and take 3 dribbles the whole game because all he has to do is catch and shoot
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Not to completely switch directions, but guys I love playing with:

1) Pass-first PG: This kid either played PG at a pretty good high school and was taught how to play the right way, or just learned through playing on the streets. He just does everything the right way. If a big grabs the defensive rebound, he'll come to him and get the ball, dribble it up the court, while scanning for the open man. If you are open he will find you. Can score at will (will blow by his man for an easy lay-up a couple times a game), but is looking to pass. Shows why guys like Nash, Magic, and Kidd are so endeared by their teammates

2) The cutter: You catch the ball and look up and this kid just cut underneath the basket and is wide open. Always. Another guy that knows how to play the right way, as opposed to the one-on-one, superstar type basketball we see a lot of now. Will shoot like 90+% and take 3 dribbles the whole game because all he has to do is catch and shoot

Agree 100%. Those have to be the 2 best teammates to have.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Hey, I'm a 6'4" white guy that grew up playing Guard, played Forward in high school, but now in streetball is somehow a Center. Which of course leads other to think I shouldn't be handling the ball or shooting jumpers, but only rebounding.

It's always funny when I'm playing with guys who have never seen me before and I happen to hit two 3s in a row.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's always funny when I'm playing with guys who have never seen me before and I happen to hit two 3s in a row.

Haha. One of my friends is 6'6" and plays like a guard. He'll play in the post sometimes but more so to help me work on my game. His reasoning why he prefers to play a guards game is:
1. he's pretty skinny, not very bulky.
2. in the bball world, he'd be a guard at 6'6". He always jokes "I'm Kobe's height and he's a guard". haha
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm at the USC courts 5 days a week and I love this thread.

The only one I'd add is Mr. Skin. The guy who's a little TOO eager to run shirts vs. skins every chance he can.
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
brutella wrote:

and

Guilty on that charge. Though I do make more than I miss, usually.

Hey if you make it, cool. But I hope you don't take them while running a 2 to 1 fast break. Ugghh I hate those guys.
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm at the USC courts 5 days a week and I love this thread.

The only one I'd add is Mr. Skin. The guy who's a little TOO eager to run shirts vs. skins every chance he can.

Lol, of all the years playing bball I played maybe shirts vs. skins maybe like 2 times.
kobe525z
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject:

Lol. I was gonna post these exact same guys.
vanexelent wrote:

"Muscle Dude": has absolutely no skill whatsoever, but is always in the lane aggressively boxing (read: undercutting) taller players. He loves to put his head down, elbows out and ram into anyone just to get the foul, making no attempt at shooting the ball. But, you can't say anything because he'll strangle you to death.

Played with and against a number of these types. I remember one in particular who went by the name "Bo-Flex". His build was massive and likely due to his lengthy stays in prison, he played with a tracking device on his leg.

XTN wrote:

Stockton and Malone
These two guys are usually related by blood. Through years of honing their skills in 2-on-2 basketball in their driveway and demolishing the neighborhood kids they have become a douchey tandem. Regardless if the game is 5-on-5 or if there are better players around these two schmucks they will only pass the ball to each other. They run nothing but pick and rolls for each other as well. In fact, even if you split them up on different teams they still expect teammates to run pick and rolls for them.

Haven't played in awhile but I remember hating being on the same team with guys like this. Not gonna lie my defense suffered a bit. What you expect me to get back? I haven't touched the ball in weeks

Let me add to the mix

"Jason Kapono": This guy is dead eye three point shooter. As well he should be. On any given day of the week you decide to go the park, you'lle find this guy already there .. shooting. This guy can have a big influence on the outcome of games. But should he find the ball in his hands in any other situation but an open catch and shoot, it's deer in the headlights mode.
KobeJaws
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

4.) Mr. Up Top

This player is hated by all other players on the court. Well-after possession has changed and you are dribbling the ball full speed to what you think should most certainly be a wide open layup, you take a glance behind you and notice that most of the other players are standing near the opposing basket with their backs turned to you and their hands resting on their hips. This is because Mr. Up Top has called yet another bogus foul causing a stoppage in play.

"BUT NOBODY TOUCHED YOU!!!!" cry the other players, in unison.

"Motha (bleep) I don't care what you say I called ball up top!"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: