Official Lakers Training Camp Thread (2019-20)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
When asked about the first group today (Rondo/Green/LeBron/AD/McGee), Vogel said the teams are going to change every day, aside from AD and LeBron playing together most of the time so they can build chemistry. The guys around them will change.

Smart decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
We are in for a pretty awesome season if:

1. AD will be 1st option (his team).
2. The team executes on the commitment to defense talk and it becomes team’s identity.

If AD is truly the 1st option on offense, I hope he's improved his low post game.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
We are in for a pretty awesome season if:

1. AD will be 1st option (his team).
2. The team executes on the commitment to defense talk and it becomes team’s identity.

If AD is truly the 1st option on offense, I hope he's improved his low post game.

His low post game is fine, it’s his 3pt shot that needs to be Improved (33%).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Frank Vogel sets defensive tone for Lakers in 'physical' first practice

Quote:
dedicated nearly an hour of the first practice to on-ball defensive drills and principles.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27722761/frank-vogel-sets-defensive-tone-lakers-physical-first-practice
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Physical!!! Love the approach by Vogel already. Howard's gonna smack guys around making them think twice about driving to the hoop. Need to play with fire and passion. I'm loving this team a lot already. My only concer now is injury, something we can't control. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the Lakers hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy comes June.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
When asked about the first group today (Rondo/Green/LeBron/AD/McGee), Vogel said the teams are going to change every day, aside from AD and LeBron playing together most of the time so they can build chemistry. The guys around them will change.

Smart decision.

Yup I'm all for this.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I like the mindset for the first day. Remember the year after the Lakers lost to the Celtics and training camp everyone was hungry and physical. Phil Jackson I think said he hasn’t seen anything like it so early. And they won the championship that year. Somehow I am hoping this camp his overtures of that and so far off to a good start.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
dedicated nearly an hour of the first practice to on-ball defensive drills and principles.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27722761/frank-vogel-sets-defensive-tone-lakers-physical-first-practice

Soo good to see training camp updates again...

Vogel has a track record of coaching some decent defensive teams, which is encouraging. Also, we have quite a few players on this team who actually can play very good defense, including Davis, Green, Bradley, Caruso, KCP, Dudley, Howard and McGee. I'm pretty optimistic we can hold our own on defense. And bury teams on offense.

lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Soo good to see training camp updates again...

Vogel has a track record of coaching some decent defensive teams, which is encouraging. Also, we have quite a few players on this team who actually can play very good defense, including Davis, Green, Bradley, Caruso, KCP, Dudley, Howard and McGee. I'm pretty optimistic we can hold our own on defense. And bury teams on offense.

And I hoping it doesn’t end there. Lebron was all defensive 1st team 2009 to 2013. Second team 2014. But we haven’t seen that lately and I am hoping for it was more due to lack of effort like conserving energy rather than no longer having the ability. Seeing all his teammates playing great defense might get his defensive blood pumping

Kuzma we saw some improved defense in team USA but small sample. With his length if he learned to play good defense, that be awesome.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

^No question at all; LeBron conserves energy, but he can play very solid defense in closing situations.

I think Kuzma is capable of playing decent defense consistently, he's coachable, and there were stretches last year where he held his own.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakerstalkespn/status/1178032746284777472?s=21

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1178048048871571457?s=21

The offensive play where Mcgee dunked at the rim was beautiful. Rondo set a screen for Lebron, which means Caruso had to switch on Lebron..a mismatch because Caruso is undersized compared to Lebron. So Lebron drives to the rim aggressively causing Howard to help early (which he should given Lebron is driving to the rim against an undersized defender)..giving Mcgee an easy lob and dunk.

The thing to notice is Green spotting up at the corner 3 & AD at the top of the 3. With these 2 on the weak side, the defenders will stay "glued" to them (Green shots just over 50% on open corner 3s) not allowing to help with Mcgee at the basket. A big benefit the Lakers have when Green and AD on the floor even if they aren't shooting the ball. And if the defenders did help, they would have to help quickly because of Mcgee's lob threat at the rim. But this would just give an open 3 to Green or AD. And if the Center rotates to slow, Lebron has an easy layup. Something the Lakers didn't have last year as defenders would "cheat" on the weak side by staying close to the rim which would "clog" up the lane for plays like these. AD will change the game and make the game easier for many ways for the Lakers even when he is not scoring.

And this is just the first day..I expect the Lakers to utilize an offense like this that involves screens and causing mismatches. Good luck to any team trying to defend this!

Last edited by lar9149 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Besides that group with Bradley at the point, I want to see these line ups

Cook, Green, LeBron, Davis, McGee
Caruso, Bradley, KCP, Kuzma, Dwight
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
Can't wait to hear/see more about the new defensive scheme that Vogel alluded to earlier. So pumped.

When he said he wants a scheme that keeps the bigs near the basket, it sounded like a zone to me. I hope it's more than that.

NBA teams don't play zone, from my understanding. well, one or two might mix in some zone for a few minutes a game. The Nets did more than that last year.
It's all man D that plays out wider spatially because the Offense doesn't have respectable shooters.
Bigs can play perfect drop coverage in P/R and entice a tough 1v1 take to the rim.. but it's still essentially a switch --- the big is sagging in space, but the defending guard has switched onto the popping screener, if he's a shooter. If he's a roller it's 2v1 and still not a zone.
Tagging from the corner defender - that guy is still in man defense on his man, but has to tag. Then we get the typical term, rotations.. which is a man D concept.
The box and elbow D on Giannis was confirmed to be man...just disrespecting shooters...

So we'll essentially be funnelling guards to the paint? It makes sense considering perimeter defense will not be a strength of this team imo, while interior defense will be strong. We don't have much length on the perimeter to create turnovers or contest 3's. Play over the screens and let the big man sag. I can dig it.

Another reason why I think Bradley will eventually become a starter. Someone posted a whole video of him just fighting over screens. He's really good at it and is able to recover in time to cover the ball handler if he decides to penetrate.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakerstalkespn/status/1178032746284777472?s=21

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1178048048871571457?s=21

Finally. Feels good to see these guys all on the court. Now I'm starting to get excited
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Bring it on!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

IMO LBJ, AD, DG will start; the rest will eventually play itself out.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1178143031028903936
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Lakers Training Camp:

*LeBron James, Anthony Davis Developing Chemistry After First Practice
https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-training-camp-lebron-james-anthony-davis-developing-chemistry-after-first-practice/2019/09/28/

*Frank Vogel Puts LeBron James, Anthony Davis ‘Against Anybody In The League’

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-training-camp-frank-vogel-puts-lebron-james-anthony-davis-against-anybody-in-the-league/2019/09/28/

* INJURY REPORT:

-Kuzma hasn’t been cleared to practice (MRI upon return from China )

-Talen Horton-Tucker will be a limited participant in camp.

-Jordan Caroline is expected to miss 10-12 weeks.

Last edited by pio2u on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

man I really really like our supporting cast.
I really think many of the players that the mainstream talking heads are ignoring are going to really ball out this season: Bradley, Caruso, Cook, Dudley... heck even KCP can breakout even though im not a big fan
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Sounds like an early report from camp the past 2-3 years
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:
Can't wait to hear/see more about the new defensive scheme that Vogel alluded to earlier. So pumped.
When he said he wants a scheme that keeps the bigs near the basket, it sounded like a zone to me. I hope it's more than that.
NBA teams don't play zone, from my understanding. well, one or two might mix in some zone for a few minutes a game. The Nets did more than that last year.

It's all man D that plays out wider spatially because the Offense doesn't have respectable shooters.

Bigs can play perfect drop coverage in P/R and entice a tough 1v1 take to the rim.. but it's still essentially a switch --- the big is sagging in space, but the defending guard has switched onto the popping screener, if he's a shooter. If he's a roller it's 2v1 and still not a zone.

Tagging from the corner defender - that guy is still in man defense on his man, but has to tag. Then we get the typical term, rotations.. which is a man D concept.

The box and elbow D on Giannis was confirmed to be man...just disrespecting shooters...
Excellent explanation on how good Team D is being played in today’s NBA.

What would you call the “Box and 1” played against Curry in The Finals?

Anybody notice that very similar questions have been posted about the Lakers every season - whether it is the Showtime Lakers, Shaq/Kobe Lakers, Kobe/Pau Lakers, Shaq/Kobe/Mailman/The Glove Lakers, Kobe/Pau/Nash/D12 Lakers and LBJ/AD Lakers?

The missing factor in this roster is that everybody is hungry and looking for redemption
• D39 - obvious
• LBJ - just listen to his comments on Friday
• AD - Need a RING
• Kuz - “I am the Third Option/Superstar!”
• JaVale - “I AM the Starting Center!”
• Caruso - Proving that he belongs
• Rondo - Showing that naysayers are wrong
• Bradley - Let people know he is BACK in FORM!
• KCP - “Yes, I can be a high quality and consistent player!”
• Green - Love defending the opposing team’s best player in every game!!
• Jared - I am GLUE MAN!
• Quinn Cook - I am a first class SHOOTER
• Troy Daniels - I am a first class SHOOTER
The remaining rookies want to play somewhere/anywhere!

Defense
In today’s NBA where Team D is the most important - (recognizing that Kwahi/PG/Beverly are acknowledge excellent individual defenders) defensive schemes are very important. Vogel and Hollins have long-standing reputation of implementing stifling Team D, while JKidd will help get the offense humming at a high level since LBJ/Rondo/Caruso have high Basketball IQs

Love that the Lakers are NOT the “#1 Target!!!” Clips will have everybody’s engine running extra high when they face the Clips. With PG coming off two major surgeries and load management will be a factor with Kwahi, plus Doc’s success with Lob City Gang being noted and the fact that the Raptors were very close to being eliminated by the 76ers - whom many media pundits to go to The Finals - both coaches will be on the Hot Sest - as befitting of olaying with very talented rosters and superstars

Recognize that many in the media believe that the Harden/Westbrook Rockets will be the Top Seed (as stated by their owner, since he believes that the upcoming 1-3 seasons is their championship endow) while Jokic’s Nuggets and Lillard’s Trailblazers + others) will show that they should be the top seed in the West)
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I like the mindset for the first day. Remember the year after the Lakers lost to the Celtics and training camp everyone was hungry and physical. Phil Jackson I think said he hasn’t seen anything like it so early. And they won the championship that year. Somehow I am hoping this camp his overtures of that and so far off to a good start.

Everyone is just hungry for a championship on this team. I think if everybody was healthy, we'd be favored against any other team in a 7-game series. I've never been so excited for a preseason game. Can't wait. lol.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Judah wrote:

So we'll essentially be funnelling guards to the paint? It makes sense considering perimeter defense will not be a strength of this team imo, while interior defense will be strong. We don't have much length on the perimeter to create turnovers or contest 3's. Play over the screens and let the big man sag. I can dig it.

Another reason why I think Bradley will eventually become a starter. Someone posted a whole video of him just fighting over screens. He's really good at it and is able to recover in time to cover the ball handler if he decides to penetrate.

Yea it's about funneling I think.. and minimizing the amount of switches is key. as Vogel said.

But there's still a point where if you're playing a pop big, a traditional rim protecting big is screwed/underutilized..We can "ice" screens and allow the guard to recover on his man after our bigman drops, while the O didn't gain an advantage. If it's a regular bigman rolling, then we squeezed their play and our dropping big can easily recover on his rolling big.

Javale was a good rim protector, but just refused to get to his shooting bigman on the perimeter... not much you can do about this quandary.
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1178143031028903936

Aww man, Caruso shaved. We need Evil Twin Caruso if we're going to compete for the 'Chip.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Everyone is just hungry for a championship on this team. I think if everybody was healthy, we'd be favored against any other team in a 7-game series. I've never been so excited for a preseason game. Can't wait. lol.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14
Jump to: